125 W 43rd St
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bxlrestaurants.com/
- Phone: 2127680200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday:11:30am -4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Belgian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from BXL Cafe
Located in the heart of Times Square, BXL Café has been proudly serving the finest Belgian beer and cuisine since 2004. With our dark wood decor, comfortable banquettes and delicious beer selection, we pride ourselves in being a little oasis at the crossroads of the world for after-work locals as well as home sick Belgians.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BXL Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (14)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (5)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)special occasion (1)Show More
- Tasty food with delicious beersMamboostDined on 8/30/2014This is a cosy bar/restaurant with a typicaly European atmosphere. We've chosen for the Vol au vent' menu with french fries and it tasted so good! Of course we ordered a couple of Belgian beers (Leffe and Duvel). And without any doubt, these Belgian veers are the best in the world. The waiter had a friendly chat with us and was interested in our story about visiting NYC. Good restaurant in the Times Square area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PaulBDined on 8/19/2014I was offended that that the restaurant automatically added an 18% gratuity to the bill, Even though we just a party of three and NOWHERE on the menu or anywhere else was there any indication of this automatic gratuity. Then the restaurant had the gall to add another line for a tip on TOP OF the automatic gratuity. Had I not been with company I would have protested. It's an unfair and deceptive trade practice. I understand foreign tourist don't leave tips, but we're local. We understand all about tipping.
- cute placeDonatellaDined on 8/17/2014Nice place for light meal. Portions small. Good location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- all you can eat mussels for $24jp143dkDined on 8/10/2014$24 gets you 2 pounds of mussels a side of fries and a beer or glass of house wine. The mussels were ok, very small and a lot of work to eat. A disappointment...
- 51street establishment is better.ViViDined on 8/7/2014Too noisy. Starters came with entrees at the same time. Food could have been better prepared. 51 street BXL is better.
- More of a bar than CafeatanDined on 8/3/2014The food was decent but had flies all the table. No refills on soda either. But did get a friendly server.Special Features:
- Beyond BE7annaDineDined on 8/1/2014It's based on a Belgium Bar (mainly Brussels area), but in NYC Food is very good, great sandwiches, burgers, meatballs and specially mussels (BE specialty)! Most definitely the best FRENCH FRIES in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Times Square anti-tourist trapTricksterDined on 7/19/2014I've eaten almost everywhere you can on or near Times Square from Cafe Un Deux Trois to the halal carts, and BXL is one of my favorites. The space is cozy and the entrance is unassuming by Times Square standards. The decor is a bit elevated from your average euro/gastopub, with neat posters of Belgian monarchs, a wall length mirror (meticulously chalked over with World Cup stats at our visit), and tvs showing formula one or soccer on low volume. Service was friendly, and we had bread and drinks lightning fast. I got the steak frites with shallot sauce, which was perfectly seasoned if a bit rarer than I had requested, and the mayo with the frites was great. My boyfriend's meatballs were a bit bland. Stick to the mussels or steak.Prices good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for weekend brunchScarletDined on 7/5/2014I recent enjoyed a late brunch at BXL Cafe during World Cup, so nearly all of the clientele was there to watch the game (including us). It was a packed and lively crowd, but the staff were still very attentive and helpful. Delicious burgers, and the brunch special includes a free drink. All around good food and comfortable vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gemhalfabraneDined on 6/28/2014I was at bxl cafe for brunch and to watch Brazil / chile match. The atmosphere was awesome- the owners and waiters seemed to enjoy soccer and it shows. The brunch was terrific and their selection of Belgian ales is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dad's MusselsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/15/2014Went to watch a World Cup match on Father's Day. Dad loves his mussels, and BXL did not disappoint. Tried the Thai, Marinieres and Marocaine. All three were fresh, spiced/herbed just right and made Dad quite happy. The beer list made me happy, as well. Service excelled.Special Features:
- ThekatDined on 6/4/2014The restaurant was incredibly noisy. When asked, the waiter refused to speak to the rowdy group. Thus, our group of three was unable to converse with each other.Special Features:
- Lunch hereRauleeVIPDined on 5/30/2014Great and delicious lunch specials. Mussels and pate transport you from the time square area directly to Paris. Enjoy or even take the pate to your hotel for another snack. I took mine to the balcony bar at the Met Museum and had a glass of Bordeaux. Two nice experiencesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 8 reviews are from the BXL Cafe reviews archive.
- Loved the food and the service,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/5/2014Loved the food and the service, great choice!!!!! Extensive beer list. Directly across the street from the Stephen Sodheim TheaterSpecial Features:
- Great lunch spotVivaDined on 4/3/2014Tried it for the first time this week and found out they had a lunch special... it was a very good deal with tasty options. I had the mussels and fries, and red pepper soup... delicious. My friend enjoyed her veggie salad platter, and chicken with linguini. Our server was extremely attentive and helpful... will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodHfd422Dined on 3/16/2014This is not a Times Square tourist trap. This is a local gem that happens to be close to Times Square. I highly recommend the mussels. The service was acceptable, the food came very quick and was delicious, and it was not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- s..l..o..w... But food saved itOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/5/2014You should only be here for one thing, mussels. We waited over 30 minutes for it which was extremely discouraging but ultimately it was worth the wait. If you're not in a rush. Absolutely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little find...WernerDined on 2/26/2014A gem, one block from Time's Square. For all those looking for authentic Belgian food and an impressive Beer listSpecial Features:
- Euro Ambiance, Great Lunch!beachmomVIPDined on 2/12/2014we went to BXL for pre-matinee lunch on a Wednesday - it was PACKED! the tables are very close together and it's loud so don't go if you want a quiet meal. but the food was delicious - amazing French onion soup and of course fries. really good hamburger too! it has a really euro atmosphere - you will feel like you are in Belgium. they were also really good about getting us our food quickly when we told them we had an hour time limit! I would definitely go back or try one of their other locations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good.......StuLDined on 2/4/2014I usually hit BXL for lunch once, maybe twice a month. Consistently good food and cozy small pub atmosphere with soccer games on the TVs. Burgers are great. Salads are good too. A variety of beers as well. Highly recommended for small casual business lunch or just a bunch of friends getting together!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but poor servicekdinesDined on 1/26/2014I dined here for brunch, as I knew it was a convenient location before heading to a Broadway matinee. The menu is plentiful and delicious. We enjoyed french toast, eggs benedict, and a delightful croque madame. It's also very affordable for this area. However, the service was awful. The server and bartender were woefully understaffed that day (hoping that staff members called out that day?). The restaurant was half-full and upon ordering our coffee, we were told that we would have to wait as there were no clean coffee cups. We asked many times for water in our glasses, one bloody mary, and a beer. While our server was pleasant, staff was so overwhelmed that it left me questioning management over everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.