Butterfly, The Embarcadero
Pier 33, The Embarcadero at Bay Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
Butterfly, The Embarcadero
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butterflysf.com/
- Phone: 4158648999x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday: 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Californian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Robert Lam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For parties larger than 40 guests, please contact the Special Event Coordinator for details.
- Private Party Contact: Daryah Newman 4158648999x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Thursday for dinner service.
- Special Events: From wedding festivities to convention parties, our waterfront location is the perfect backdrop for your next event. Please contact us for more information.
- Cross Street: Bay Street at The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Take the bart or muni to Market Street. Catch the F-line street train towards Fisherman’s Wharf. It stops in front of our restaurant at Pier 33.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking lot across the street. Metered street parking on the Embarcadero.
A word from Butterfly, The Embarcadero
Butterfly offers the perfect mix of food, atmosphere, an amazing California Wine List and great decor. Chef Robert Lam was named as a previous "Top 6 Rising Star Chef" by The Chronicle, Lam continues to impress by bringing his innovative California-Asian cuisine to the waterfront location on the Embarcadero. " Narsai David of KCBS said," Butterfly is a happening place". Best seafood soup, I have ever had!" A few suggestions Clams and Mussels, Salmon and Strawberry Rolls, Kalua Pig in Butter Lettuce Cups, Crispy Fried Whole Fish, and Banana Bread Pudding for dessert.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butterfly, The Embarcadero reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (68)fit for foodies (51)special occasion (35)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (22)great for lunch (14)hot spot (12)great for brunch (11)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- DisappointingMikkiVIPDined on 10/21/2014Highly reviewed, ultimately disappointing. Had a dinner reservation - celebrating 52 anniversary. Decided on happy hour first. Service: indifferent; food: OK; celebration: unacknowledged. cancelled dinner. Won't return
- 1st date impression: eat first.WhineandDineDined on 10/18/2014This is a great ambiance place; they've nailed an aesthetic. I was relaxed & in a good mood. Also, the menu items appeared promising, but had exceedingly poor execution. I had pancake-batter thick squash blossoms, grossly overcooked and mostly inedible. Presentation looked questionable, copycat school-kid artistry. Wine list was +. Everyone at my 4-top agreed that a 2nd visit would not be made. Still, if I was still dating, I might consider the place. 1st, there's the + impression for picking a "nice" place. 2nd, there's the Embarcadero to stroll afterwards to extend the date (if one is lucky enough to want to extend it). 3rd, the food is inexpensive. 4th, you'll score points if you use your "fail" to secure a redo.Special Features:
- Butterfly-Hit and Missbobbies75thVIPDined on 10/18/2014This was our second time going to Butterfly. I do not think we will go back. While our waiter,Tom, was great, everything else was hit and miss. Several things the restaurant was out of. It took a while to get drinks. The appetizers were very good, the taste of the entrees was good but like warm. Did not want to send it back for heating, because the kitchen was so slow in providing food. We had two birthdays in our group, and these were handled very nicely with great desserts. But was really disappointed with the bulk of the evening.
- Great Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Took my now girlfriend there on our first date, so glad I did. The atmosphere was perfect for a romantic evening, and its conveniently located close to the Wharf, so you can just take a late stroll after the meal. I highly recommend reserving a table. They gave us the best one in the house!Special Features:
- nicePeterVIPDined on 10/17/2014Great food, service, views and space! Great menu items to choose from. Always very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGJesseyAngelDined on 10/11/2014I saw Butterfly on Check Please, Bay Area and felt I needed to try it out. I was not disappointed. The food was amazing! The service was above & beyond. After dinner they removed our dinner plates & actually cleaned the table. The owner makes his rounds greeting people & is super friendly and fun to talk to. I LOVED this place.Special Features:
- Service to the maxredgreyDined on 10/4/2014Upon arriving the hostess welcomed us enthusiastically. When we asked for a quiet table and one near the window she gave us the best table facing the window and in a quiet spot. Very accommodating. Our waiter was so friendly and helpful, made great suggestions. Beautiful view and an extra treat was a fireworks display over the water that night. Great dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Great FoodslyounDined on 9/30/2014I don't even like pork chops but the Butterfly changed my view. It was so delicious I think about going back just for the pork chop. And outstanding bread pudding.Special Features:
- Date Night DuoDineDateDuoVIPDined on 9/19/2014We made early reservations and were seated promptly. The very was very nice and the service was excellent. However, I our cocktails were poor. The Manhattan was undrinkable and the Dirty martini was way too dirty. My wife's noodles were very good but my steak was tough and tasted old. We would not recommend.
- Bay View GemSFSeniorVIPDined on 9/18/2014We got a same day reservation at a Bay view table on a Thursday when there was jazz being played. A great start to a lovely evening with wonderful food. It was a nice touch that the chef came by to inquire about our dinning experience. Good food with good friends, who can ask for more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu Items MissingSberryVIPDined on 9/7/2014We went to butterfly per a recommendation while traveling in SF. Unfortunately, we were unable to taste the food because many entrees on the menu were unavailable that night. After each entrée we intended to order was not available, we decided to go somewhere else. The atmosphere is modern though the lights were do dim one of my guests could not read the menu.Special Features:
- Total Tourist TrapOperaLoverVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food was way overpriced for the quality. There is better food for the money, with better views, on the wharf.
- nice daykernmdVIPDined on 8/30/2014nice day in SF. walked up the embarcadero to Butterfly. I had the fish sandwich and she had the Viet meatballs. Not bad.Special Features:
- great food great serviceLouisebDined on 8/28/2014and great cocktails! the food presentation is often spectacular, particularly the fish! We were comfortable sitting for3 hours catching up with old friends. The waiter was immensly helpful, honest and funny. We loved him!Special Features:
- Unique ViewSFVisitorDined on 8/23/2014I love Butterfly. The food and view are both unique. The service is always super -- very attentive. Easy parking in the area if you are a local. My favorite is the fried calamari and I just discovered the kiwi cucumber fix. A great drink for a non drinker. I always take out of town guests there. Its not so noisy that you can't have a good conversation but it is a lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and viewOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014We really enjoyed the food and got a table right on the bay for a great view. Come before the sun goes down to get full enjoyment of this place.Special Features:
- ButterflyfoodismylifeDined on 8/12/2014we loved the restaurant...the food was presented lovely, the tastes was exquisite...we'll come back again before a Giants game (as we did this time)Special Features:
- Kid's menu needs workssomadronefDined on 8/9/2014Were in the neighborhood after taking in the sites and needed a place to eat that was kid friendly. Noticed messaging on the Butterfly sign about having a kids menu. Gave it a shot. Not impressed. Adult menu was fine (been here before) but won't be going back any time soon if we have the kids in tow. Also, gf and I noticed odd smell wafting through the restaurant. Not horrible, but definitely not super pleasant. She was hypothesizing, after using the restroom, that it may have been the incense that was being burned. If that's the case someone needs to choose a new flavor. Didn't ruin the dinner, just put it off a little. IMO.Special Features:
- Loud trumpet-blaring music!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We love Butterfly. In the past it has been our favorite San Francisco restaurant. But the loud blaring trumpet music made it difficult to have a conversation. We asked them to turn it down twice, and they did once. But why can't they have quiet music? The hard surfaces echo people's voices, and they crank up the music over that. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- Delicious apperizersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Went for my wife's birthday. We had the duck confit spring rolls, and Ahi entree. Both we're cooked perfectly. Also my wife tried a new (for her) cocktail and it was a little too sweet so the waiter brought her a different one free of charge. Very friendly staff and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/6/2014Thanks for a lovely evening spent with old friends visiting from the East coast. The view was perfect, of course. The food was good--the service good too. Being able to park in front was a big plus!!Special Features:
- Butterfly Hit the SpotRudolphVIPDined on 8/4/2014Staff are awesome! After a tour of Alcatraz, we were super hungry and craving Chef Lam's garlic noodles and everything else on the menu. As the kitchen was closing Monday at 3pm, the hostess and Manager honored my reservation. I also had out-of-town guests from Hawaii, and they were ecstatic to be seated immediately and indulge in some mouth-wateing Asian-Fusion dishes. They loved the waterfront view from our seats, and thought the food was excellent. Good times ~ Aloha!Special Features:
- Something differentChrisDined on 8/3/2014Excellent food, nice presentation and prepared in slightly different ways. The staff is attentive and very helpful for special requests. Good choice for people for like to try new things. Spacious seating arrangements, food for groups as well as tete-a-tete dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicemaryeatsoutDined on 8/2/2014A lovely view of the bay while we dined on very tasty food. The Kahlua pulled pork app was super. The Ahi tuna dish was very interesting besides the good fish. There was no decision about desserts- we all ordered a favorite and shared. Couldn't miss- banana bread pudding, burnt cream, Lava cake! Knowledgeable waiter. Loved his recommendation on the Austrian white wine-Veltliner.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Enjoyed the appetizers. Had the Poke, Shrimp Mango Salad, Duck Confit Spring rolls, Kalua Pork Lettuce Cups. All very good! Had the Hanger Steak for entree. Meet was done perfect, the the dish had too much liquid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great visitSFGalVIPDined on 7/31/2014Our group struggled with menu choices, a bit. Food is fresh, but banana lumpia dessert was bad. The worst part of meal was when the kitchen started frying fish and the exhaust system was turned off. The whole restaurant became smokey and smelly. Really unpleasant. The staff seemed oblivious to the issue.Special Features:
- nuoc mam - elevated!loveNpeasDined on 7/26/2014We celebrated a friend's 40th b-day here. The waiter, staff, and the chef truly made our 6-ladies night out a super-fun experience. We loved the food! Mind you we had great "mom" cooks on our table. We don't settle for tasteless food and overcooked ingredients. The restaurant also reserved us a very nice table. I did ask for a free bottle of champagne on our table which of course was gumptious of me. Our friend got a better one though - Nuoc Mam, a b-day present from Chef Lam :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- view does not make up 4 poor foodfoodtouristDined on 7/25/2014Very disappointing. Was hoping for good food but it's a rip off tourist trap.Special Features:
- Auntie JenAuntiejenDined on 7/22/2014Perfect ending to a wonderful vacation. The food was exquisitely presented and tasted divine. Ambiance was wonderful and waterside setting was a nice touch. We loved every mouthful and were sorry when the meal was over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Asian California cuisineDekoDined on 7/19/2014The Vietnamese chef incorporates his love of Asian cuisine into creative, California cuisine. His fried whole fish was gorgeous in presentation and delicious.Special Features:
- Really interesting food.smudgeVIPDined on 7/17/2014Fresh flavors and lovely presentation of varied lunch menu. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- nice overall dining spotcocoonDined on 7/14/2014Butterfly is a restaurant that one can dine for light meal, lunch or dinner with enough variety of choices. This is our third return and we continue to find the servings good and menu choices flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Service I've ever had here!amzmanVIPDined on 7/13/2014I've had some mixed Service at this restaurant over the years but the team of people working this time was outstanding. I didn't have to ask for anything, they refilled my water, we received our food promptly and in order (i.e. appetizers first then main course). Even the new hostess was better than the grouchy one we've had to deal with in the past over our past few reservations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun2dineoutVIPDined on 7/13/2014Went for dinner with a friend. Seated in a great spot and had excellent service from all. Animal style garlic noodles wonderful as was the lettuce cups with pork and the bread pudding. Also enjoyed kumquat margarita. Overall delightful experience.Special Features:
- We love ButterflyepicureVIPDined on 7/12/2014WE have been to this restaurant many times and have never been disappointed. IT is consistently good and the service is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerjabberDined on 7/11/2014We had a celebratory dinner at Butterfly. The Peking Duck was the single best thing I have eaten in years. Great balance of Umami, salt, sweet, etc. They remembered that it was Linda's birthday and put a candle in the dessert. Service was attentive, but relaxed. We will return.Special Features:
- GrouponCouples2getherpleaseDined on 7/8/2014We had a good time @ Butterfly - wish we (4 other couples) could have been seated together. 3 of the 5 couples got the same waiter anyway. We were all on the Groupon special rate.Special Features:
- DeliciousBethSFVIPDined on 7/6/2014I am never disappointed in Butterfly. The food and the service is excellent -- PLUS -- the view is outstanding. Our servers were very accommodating and moved us over to a window table when one became available. This is a really nice restaurant. I love it.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/6/2014We had brunch at Butterfly and while the food was outstanding, the service was terrible. Our main entrees arrived before the appetizer, literally five minutes after we placed our order, and when I questioned it, the server said "Did you want them before?" as if that was odd. We were never asked if we wanted another drink and the server was harried the whole time. The worst part was we had a Living Social voucher, which he saw at the beginning of the meal, but then when the check came he and the manager told us we couldn't use it because it was for dinner. We spent $75 on lunch and they denied our voucher. Which I could understand maybe but he saw it there the whole meal. Obviously they were more concerned with tourist turnover than locals.
- Excellent Embarcadero LocationdatspeedVIPDined on 7/5/2014We've always enjoyed Butterfly - great location, on the water, very good food - pan-Asian cuisine. We especially like the whole fish - crispy, still moist inside, excellent presentation. The appetizers are very good, too. You can make a meal with them. Full bar, interesting cocktails. Could use a few more beer choices One negative - they haven't changed the menu and have no daily specials.Special Features: