Butterfly, The Embarcadero
Pier 33, The Embarcadero at Bay Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
Butterfly, The Embarcadero
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butterflysf.com/
- Phone: (415) 864-8999
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday: 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Californian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Robert Lam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For parties larger than 40 guests, please contact the Special Event Coordinator for details.
- Private Party Contact: Daryah Newman 4158648999x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Thursday for dinner service.
- Special Events: From wedding festivities to convention parties, our waterfront location is the perfect backdrop for your next event. Please contact us for more information.
- Cross Street: Bay Street at The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Take the bart or muni to Market Street. Catch the F-line street train towards Fisherman’s Wharf. It stops in front of our restaurant at Pier 33.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking lot across the street. Metered street parking on the Embarcadero.
A word from Butterfly, The Embarcadero
Butterfly offers the perfect mix of food, atmosphere, an amazing California Wine List and great decor. Chef Robert Lam was named as a previous "Top 6 Rising Star Chef" by The Chronicle, Lam continues to impress by bringing his innovative California-Asian cuisine to the waterfront location on the Embarcadero. " Narsai David of KCBS said," Butterfly is a happening place". Best seafood soup, I have ever had!" A few suggestions Clams and Mussels, Salmon and Strawberry Rolls, Kalua Pig in Butter Lettuce Cups, Crispy Fried Whole Fish, and Banana Bread Pudding for dessert.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butterfly, The Embarcadero reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (53)fit for foodies (42)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (21)special occasion (20)great for lunch (15)good for groups (13)hot spot (12)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- nice overall dining spotcocoonDined on 7/14/2014Butterfly is a restaurant that one can dine for light meal, lunch or dinner with enough variety of choices. This is our third return and we continue to find the servings good and menu choices flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Service I've ever had here!amzmanVIPDined on 7/13/2014I've had some mixed Service at this restaurant over the years but the team of people working this time was outstanding. I didn't have to ask for anything, they refilled my water, we received our food promptly and in order (i.e. appetizers first then main course). Even the new hostess was better than the grouchy one we've had to deal with in the past over our past few reservations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun2dineoutVIPDined on 7/13/2014Went for dinner with a friend. Seated in a great spot and had excellent service from all. Animal style garlic noodles wonderful as was the lettuce cups with pork and the bread pudding. Also enjoyed kumquat margarita. Overall delightful experience.Special Features:
- We love ButterflyepicureVIPDined on 7/12/2014WE have been to this restaurant many times and have never been disappointed. IT is consistently good and the service is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerjabberDined on 7/11/2014We had a celebratory dinner at Butterfly. The Peking Duck was the single best thing I have eaten in years. Great balance of Umami, salt, sweet, etc. They remembered that it was Linda's birthday and put a candle in the dessert. Service was attentive, but relaxed. We will return.Special Features:
- GrouponCouples2getherpleaseDined on 7/8/2014We had a good time @ Butterfly - wish we (4 other couples) could have been seated together. 3 of the 5 couples got the same waiter anyway. We were all on the Groupon special rate.Special Features:
- DeliciousBethSFVIPDined on 7/6/2014I am never disappointed in Butterfly. The food and the service is excellent -- PLUS -- the view is outstanding. Our servers were very accommodating and moved us over to a window table when one became available. This is a really nice restaurant. I love it.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/6/2014We had brunch at Butterfly and while the food was outstanding, the service was terrible. Our main entrees arrived before the appetizer, literally five minutes after we placed our order, and when I questioned it, the server said "Did you want them before?" as if that was odd. We were never asked if we wanted another drink and the server was harried the whole time. The worst part was we had a Living Social voucher, which he saw at the beginning of the meal, but then when the check came he and the manager told us we couldn't use it because it was for dinner. We spent $75 on lunch and they denied our voucher. Which I could understand maybe but he saw it there the whole meal. Obviously they were more concerned with tourist turnover than locals.
- Excellent Embarcadero LocationdatspeedVIPDined on 7/5/2014We've always enjoyed Butterfly - great location, on the water, very good food - pan-Asian cuisine. We especially like the whole fish - crispy, still moist inside, excellent presentation. The appetizers are very good, too. You can make a meal with them. Full bar, interesting cocktails. Could use a few more beer choices One negative - they haven't changed the menu and have no daily specials.Special Features:
- Meal before fireworks on 4th July.AshoDined on 7/4/2014This is a lovely restaurant with spectacular views of the bay. Service was very good- considering it was 4th July and it was busy! Food was great too. Nice upbeat atmosphere. We were leaving to watch the fireworks after our entrees and the waiter invited us to watch them from the patio, which was awesome! We stayed on at the restaurant bar after the fireworks and sampled some of the yummy cocktails. It was a lovely experience overall!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good view, Amazing food and Servicemclare987VIPDined on 7/4/2014Went for dinner on July 4th, busy night for them. The servers were friendly and cheerful, treated us so well we felt like their only customers. The food was amazing. Each dish was presented beautifully, stone fruit salad with bacon and cheese... YUM! Kahlua pork in lettuce cups and Peking duck so good we would have ordered more (if we didn't need to save room for dessert). The chef stopped by after each course to ask how everything was, then went back to station in the kitchen checking every plate. So much attention to detail and service. We were happy to find this great restaurant and will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014We had a lovely dinner (made up of a whole bunch of appetizers that were delicious)---and a very attentive and personable waiter. Thanks!Special Features:
- Perfect for birthdaysDanaJDined on 6/25/2014My boyfriend and I had such an amazing experience at Butterfly. I included in the notes of the reservation that we were celebrating a birthday and would love a table with a view. Not only did we get a view, but the best seats in the house. We ordered cocktails, three appetizers and a burger to share. Particular highlights for me were the Tuna Tartare and the pork lettuce cups. The burger was also cooked perfectly on a bun that I would have eaten on its own. We ended the night with a creme brûlée topped with a raspberry, lychee fruit and a candle. Everything was delicious! Definitely recommend for celebrating a special occasion or if you're looking for a great happy hour spot with a cool vibe and a great view.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceFoodfanDined on 6/20/2014Great spot. Food is good, great atmosphere. Chef came over to check on our meal, doesn't happen in every restaurant. Does have a lot of tourists because of its proximity to pier 39Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/19/2014The food was delicious & well presented. It was a leisurely & enjoyable. The only damper was our server, Ruth. She was slow & forgetful. Had to remind her on a few things & she even forgot a few things. We felt a bit ignored. Too bad it would of been over the top for us!Special Features:
- Great food,great view,great serviceshadeDined on 6/18/2014Thank you so much for the great meal! Took a friend out for his bday and it was perfect!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/17/2014the food is always good, friendly service good view, we enjoyed it everytime we are there.Special Features:
- Father's Day BrunchLocalVIPDined on 6/15/2014Hard to find parking. Lot across street charging 40 flat rate! No cheap way to get to the City anymore. Shared calamari, burger, duck spring roll ( best) salmon benedict, garlic noodles. Bread pudding was excellent. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- First time for lunchKhay01Dined on 6/14/2014I like the dinner menu more than thee lunch menu.. They have better selection for the dinner time. Food wasn't bad, just don't have enough selection. Service was good. I saw they did some changes on the restaurant. We used to seat on the booth. I did not notice if they still have a booth. The chair kind of uncomfortable to seat on. overall, experienced was okay. Last time food was really good and service by the server but the host did not even great us but the people behind us she did, really unprofessional. Will try again one more time, hopefully that host attitude will change because the food are excellent..Special Features:
- Excellent FaregrayVIPDined on 6/14/2014All 4 of us had something different and it was all goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific dining experienceWine2dineDined on 6/13/2014Terrific food, ambience, service and overall experience . Enchanting view and surroundings . Wine list a bit thin and priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every biteLovetoeatDined on 6/13/2014We decided to have an early Father's Day Dinner on Friday night. The appetizer menu is full of wonderful options, so I opted to order several appetizers instead of an entree. Everything was delicious...our teenage girls loved the pork lettuce cups and the garlic noodles. My personal favorite is the Ahi Poke. The hanger steak entree was cooked perfectly and had great flavor. My husband had the dine about town menu and ate every bite! Desserts didn't disappoint, you can't go wrong with Mitchell's ice cream! The service was great, the wait staff all very friendly and accommodating!Special Features:
- A little disappointingnot2pickyDined on 6/13/2014For the price, the food was OK, but not great or even very good. Service was OK and cocktails very good. Ambiance was "energetic" leaning toward loud. Overrated restaurant. We are locals and, given san francisco's great food scene, there are better choices at the same price.Special Features:
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/7/2014We arrived early and the hostess accommodated us which was excellent customer service. The female bartender was outstanding. Our meal was great - we all had the 3 course dinner menu which is a good vaue and tasty. it was hard to hear the server over the noise.Special Features:
- Scenic Innovative Fusion DiningKathieDined on 6/7/2014Dining at "Butterfly" was a treat in both the visual and taste sense. The beautiful view of the sparkling SF Bay, great service coupled with an innovative fusion menu make this a special dining experience. Each menu item was prepared with care coupled with proper pairing which was pleasing to both the palate and the eye.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014My girlfriend and I was in the area and decided to take advantage of Dine in Town and try some restaurants for lunch and dinner. We ordered the kalua pork appetizer and duck confit spring rolls. The Kalua pork appetizer was a wrap-it-yourself dish. However, the pork was soggy, so every bite you take would lead to a messy splash on your plate. The duck confit spring rolls were decent. I also ordered the Hangar Steak in teriyaki sauce. It had a side of potatoes / onions covered in cheese? The hangar steak was drench in a wet sauce, overseasoning a good cut of meat. As a fusion dish, it was very poorly designed. The food was not designed well and felt rushed for dine about town. maybe the regular menu is better.Special Features:
- Great view and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 6/6/2014Went to butterfly for Dine About Town and really enjoyed ourselves. The food was great and the service was great, although it took a bit too long in between plates (however, good portions so this time ended up being a plus!). Will definitely go back. Great date spot.Special Features:
- Beautiful food2DineOutDined on 6/6/2014This was a fantastic experience from the moment we entered. The service was attentive beginning with the Hostess who gave us the best seat in the house. The food was amazing! As each dish was brought out we anticipated the next. Not one morsel of this delightful meal survived. A definite return spot. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butterfly hasn't ChangedLindaDined on 5/31/2014I've always found Butterfly to have excellent food and service. Their kahlua pork lettuce wraps are really amazing. Love to go back to a restaurant where I'm certain I'll have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very friendly hostess - Madison.Luv2eatVIPDined on 5/31/2014We were greeted by a very friendly hostess. She seated us at a table with a magnificent view. The waitress could be a little bit more efficient. The snapper was delicious and smooth! Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DianemtnDined on 5/24/2014Small but interesting menu. Friendly service. We liked that the tables are spaced out so no one bumps as they pass.Special Features:
- The foods here are excellent alwayshappyminnie7Dined on 5/21/2014We came here quite often since our 1st visit. During happy hours, they have a variety of dishes to choose and try. Duck config spring roll, dates with bacon, pork meatballs with fish sauce, garlic noodles, kalua pig lettuce cup to name a few. As for dessert, warm banana pudding and crème Brule..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/20/2014There was a large party there and our food took too long. We were talking and enjoying our conversation, but service is not the best.
- Not overwhelmedYummyfoodVIPDined on 5/17/2014Went to Butterfly expecting an elegant view and nice dinner to celebrate a special occasion with family. First, the menu is quite sparse and the only non-carnivore option was a veggie bento box which was not very good. The view is nice and the décor is definitely very upscale, but fundamentally there were about 5-6 entrée choices and the service was not what I would expect from somewhere in the midst of the Embarcadero (forgetting drinks, etc) Good dinner spot, but not anything special.Special Features:
- AraSDVIPDined on 5/15/2014Table for 1. Graciously accommodated earlier than my reservation time. Pleasant cocktail list, small menu made choice easy, easy to over-indulge. Pleasantly surprised by my last-minute findSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Asian Fusion spotAbyGDined on 5/14/2014Dined there on a Wednesday night. Found parking easily and got waterfront seating, which on an unusually hot spring night was a great start to the evening. Ordered the shrimp pot sticker soup (with Indonesian sambal base), which was flavorful- whetted our appetite just right. My husband ordered the seared ahi tuna entree which when eaten with the accompaniments was a very cleverly crafted dish and tasty. I had the chicken roulade that I believe was technically perfect but for me a little lacking in taste- I can see other people who like minimal spices and seasoning liking it though. For dessert we had the banana bread pudding which was just the right amount of serving at the right level of sweetness. All in all a good culinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great diningWine0boyVIPDined on 5/11/2014Butterfly has some good things going for it - the food is decent, not spectacular, and freshly prepared (large portions), the view is quite nice (especially if you get a table by the window), and the vibe is low key and casual. The service was spotty at best and although we had a reservation for a large group (8 people), the host, who was either just in training or completely clueless, took my name at check in but then gave our table to another party with a similarly sounding last name. She sincerely apologized but we still had to wait 45 minutes to be seated (the manager should have stepped in to assist with the situation).Special Features:
- Lovely Place for DinnerLippyDined on 5/10/2014Excellent service, this restaurant while pricey,especially the wine list, delivers appealing, reliable great tasting dishes. The atmosphere is intimate and they never rush you out. A great place to take a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite!Lv2eatDined on 5/9/2014Appetizers and small plates dinner is a good way to go. Tasted a nice green salad as well, also delicious!Special Features:
- Island Food iwth a TwistIslandBoyDined on 5/4/2014We were missing Hawaii so we took our family for brunch as well as to celebrate a daughter's birhday. Since it was a Sunday PM, it was not crowded. We loved the Calamari and the Kalua Pork appetizers. The Calamari was basic but the Kalua Pork was delicious. Kalua Pork could have used some cabbage with it but it worked. For the entree, nice spin on the Loco Moco served with black rice and Spam bits, nice island touch. One of us ordered the Fried Fish Sandwich, not bad but just a plain item. Another winner was the Garlic Noodles with shrimp. Great flaver, nice tender shrimps which were not overcooked. The Vietnamese Meatball Lettuce Wraps were a bit on the oily side and too small a portion. Best desert was teh Lychee icee.Special Features: