Butterfly, The Embarcadero
Pier 33, The Embarcadero at Bay Street
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
Butterfly, The Embarcadero
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butterflysf.com/
- Phone: 4158648999x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday: 5pm
We are closed all day on Mondays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Californian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Robert Lam
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: For parties larger than 50 guests, please contact the Special Event Coordinator for details.
- Private Party Contact: John Marrs 4158648999x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Thursday for dinner service.
- Special Events: From wedding festivities to convention parties, our waterfront location is the perfect backdrop for your next event. Please contact us for more information.
- Cross Street: Bay Street at The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Take the bart or muni to Market Street. Catch the F-line street train towards Fisherman’s Wharf. It stops in front of our restaurant at Pier 33.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking lot across the street. Metered street parking on the Embarcadero.
A word from Butterfly, The Embarcadero
Butterfly offers the perfect mix of food, atmosphere, an amazing California Wine List and great decor. Chef Robert Lam was named as a previous "Top 6 Rising Star Chef" by The Chronicle, Lam continues to impress by bringing his innovative California-Asian cuisine to the waterfront location on the Embarcadero. " Narsai David of KCBS said," Butterfly is a happening place". Best seafood soup, I have ever had!" A few suggestions Clams and Mussels, Salmon and Strawberry Rolls, Kalua Pig in Butter Lettuce Cups, Crispy Fried Whole Fish, and Banana Bread Pudding for dessert.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butterfly, The Embarcadero reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (118)fit for foodies (83)special occasion (62)romantic (51)great for lunch (38)good for groups (35)neighborhood gem (27)great for brunch (26)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (12)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- ButterflyfoodismylifeDined on 8/12/2014we loved the restaurant...the food was presented lovely, the tastes was exquisite...we'll come back again before a Giants game (as we did this time)Special Features:
- Kid's menu needs workssomadronefDined on 8/9/2014Were in the neighborhood after taking in the sites and needed a place to eat that was kid friendly. Noticed messaging on the Butterfly sign about having a kids menu. Gave it a shot. Not impressed. Adult menu was fine (been here before) but won't be going back any time soon if we have the kids in tow. Also, gf and I noticed odd smell wafting through the restaurant. Not horrible, but definitely not super pleasant. She was hypothesizing, after using the restroom, that it may have been the incense that was being burned. If that's the case someone needs to choose a new flavor. Didn't ruin the dinner, just put it off a little. IMO.Special Features:
- Loud trumpet-blaring music!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We love Butterfly. In the past it has been our favorite San Francisco restaurant. But the loud blaring trumpet music made it difficult to have a conversation. We asked them to turn it down twice, and they did once. But why can't they have quiet music? The hard surfaces echo people's voices, and they crank up the music over that. We will not be going back.Special Features:
- Delicious apperizersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Went for my wife's birthday. We had the duck confit spring rolls, and Ahi entree. Both we're cooked perfectly. Also my wife tried a new (for her) cocktail and it was a little too sweet so the waiter brought her a different one free of charge. Very friendly staff and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/6/2014Thanks for a lovely evening spent with old friends visiting from the East coast. The view was perfect, of course. The food was good--the service good too. Being able to park in front was a big plus!!Special Features:
- Butterfly Hit the SpotRudolphVIPDined on 8/4/2014Staff are awesome! After a tour of Alcatraz, we were super hungry and craving Chef Lam's garlic noodles and everything else on the menu. As the kitchen was closing Monday at 3pm, the hostess and Manager honored my reservation. I also had out-of-town guests from Hawaii, and they were ecstatic to be seated immediately and indulge in some mouth-wateing Asian-Fusion dishes. They loved the waterfront view from our seats, and thought the food was excellent. Good times ~ Aloha!Special Features:
- Something differentChrisDined on 8/3/2014Excellent food, nice presentation and prepared in slightly different ways. The staff is attentive and very helpful for special requests. Good choice for people for like to try new things. Spacious seating arrangements, food for groups as well as tete-a-tete dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicemaryeatsoutDined on 8/2/2014A lovely view of the bay while we dined on very tasty food. The Kahlua pulled pork app was super. The Ahi tuna dish was very interesting besides the good fish. There was no decision about desserts- we all ordered a favorite and shared. Couldn't miss- banana bread pudding, burnt cream, Lava cake! Knowledgeable waiter. Loved his recommendation on the Austrian white wine-Veltliner.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014Enjoyed the appetizers. Had the Poke, Shrimp Mango Salad, Duck Confit Spring rolls, Kalua Pork Lettuce Cups. All very good! Had the Hanger Steak for entree. Meet was done perfect, the the dish had too much liquid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a great visitSFGalVIPDined on 7/31/2014Our group struggled with menu choices, a bit. Food is fresh, but banana lumpia dessert was bad. The worst part of meal was when the kitchen started frying fish and the exhaust system was turned off. The whole restaurant became smokey and smelly. Really unpleasant. The staff seemed oblivious to the issue.Special Features:
- nuoc mam - elevated!loveNpeasDined on 7/26/2014We celebrated a friend's 40th b-day here. The waiter, staff, and the chef truly made our 6-ladies night out a super-fun experience. We loved the food! Mind you we had great "mom" cooks on our table. We don't settle for tasteless food and overcooked ingredients. The restaurant also reserved us a very nice table. I did ask for a free bottle of champagne on our table which of course was gumptious of me. Our friend got a better one though - Nuoc Mam, a b-day present from Chef Lam :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- view does not make up 4 poor foodfoodtouristDined on 7/25/2014Very disappointing. Was hoping for good food but it's a rip off tourist trap.Special Features:
- Auntie JenAuntiejenDined on 7/22/2014Perfect ending to a wonderful vacation. The food was exquisitely presented and tasted divine. Ambiance was wonderful and waterside setting was a nice touch. We loved every mouthful and were sorry when the meal was over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Asian California cuisineDekoDined on 7/19/2014The Vietnamese chef incorporates his love of Asian cuisine into creative, California cuisine. His fried whole fish was gorgeous in presentation and delicious.Special Features:
- Really interesting food.smudgeVIPDined on 7/17/2014Fresh flavors and lovely presentation of varied lunch menu. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- nice overall dining spotcocoonDined on 7/14/2014Butterfly is a restaurant that one can dine for light meal, lunch or dinner with enough variety of choices. This is our third return and we continue to find the servings good and menu choices flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Service I've ever had here!amzmanVIPDined on 7/13/2014I've had some mixed Service at this restaurant over the years but the team of people working this time was outstanding. I didn't have to ask for anything, they refilled my water, we received our food promptly and in order (i.e. appetizers first then main course). Even the new hostess was better than the grouchy one we've had to deal with in the past over our past few reservations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun2dineoutDined on 7/13/2014Went for dinner with a friend. Seated in a great spot and had excellent service from all. Animal style garlic noodles wonderful as was the lettuce cups with pork and the bread pudding. Also enjoyed kumquat margarita. Overall delightful experience.Special Features:
- We love ButterflyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/12/2014WE have been to this restaurant many times and have never been disappointed. IT is consistently good and the service is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerjabberDined on 7/11/2014We had a celebratory dinner at Butterfly. The Peking Duck was the single best thing I have eaten in years. Great balance of Umami, salt, sweet, etc. They remembered that it was Linda's birthday and put a candle in the dessert. Service was attentive, but relaxed. We will return.Special Features:
- GrouponCouples2getherpleaseDined on 7/8/2014We had a good time @ Butterfly - wish we (4 other couples) could have been seated together. 3 of the 5 couples got the same waiter anyway. We were all on the Groupon special rate.Special Features:
- DeliciousBethSFVIPDined on 7/6/2014I am never disappointed in Butterfly. The food and the service is excellent -- PLUS -- the view is outstanding. Our servers were very accommodating and moved us over to a window table when one became available. This is a really nice restaurant. I love it.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/6/2014We had brunch at Butterfly and while the food was outstanding, the service was terrible. Our main entrees arrived before the appetizer, literally five minutes after we placed our order, and when I questioned it, the server said "Did you want them before?" as if that was odd. We were never asked if we wanted another drink and the server was harried the whole time. The worst part was we had a Living Social voucher, which he saw at the beginning of the meal, but then when the check came he and the manager told us we couldn't use it because it was for dinner. We spent $75 on lunch and they denied our voucher. Which I could understand maybe but he saw it there the whole meal. Obviously they were more concerned with tourist turnover than locals.
- Excellent Embarcadero LocationdatspeedVIPDined on 7/5/2014We've always enjoyed Butterfly - great location, on the water, very good food - pan-Asian cuisine. We especially like the whole fish - crispy, still moist inside, excellent presentation. The appetizers are very good, too. You can make a meal with them. Full bar, interesting cocktails. Could use a few more beer choices One negative - they haven't changed the menu and have no daily specials.Special Features:
- Meal before fireworks on 4th July.AshoDined on 7/4/2014This is a lovely restaurant with spectacular views of the bay. Service was very good- considering it was 4th July and it was busy! Food was great too. Nice upbeat atmosphere. We were leaving to watch the fireworks after our entrees and the waiter invited us to watch them from the patio, which was awesome! We stayed on at the restaurant bar after the fireworks and sampled some of the yummy cocktails. It was a lovely experience overall!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good view, Amazing food and Servicemclare987VIPDined on 7/4/2014Went for dinner on July 4th, busy night for them. The servers were friendly and cheerful, treated us so well we felt like their only customers. The food was amazing. Each dish was presented beautifully, stone fruit salad with bacon and cheese... YUM! Kahlua pork in lettuce cups and Peking duck so good we would have ordered more (if we didn't need to save room for dessert). The chef stopped by after each course to ask how everything was, then went back to station in the kitchen checking every plate. So much attention to detail and service. We were happy to find this great restaurant and will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014We had a lovely dinner (made up of a whole bunch of appetizers that were delicious)---and a very attentive and personable waiter. Thanks!Special Features:
- Perfect for birthdaysDanaJDined on 6/25/2014My boyfriend and I had such an amazing experience at Butterfly. I included in the notes of the reservation that we were celebrating a birthday and would love a table with a view. Not only did we get a view, but the best seats in the house. We ordered cocktails, three appetizers and a burger to share. Particular highlights for me were the Tuna Tartare and the pork lettuce cups. The burger was also cooked perfectly on a bun that I would have eaten on its own. We ended the night with a creme brûlée topped with a raspberry, lychee fruit and a candle. Everything was delicious! Definitely recommend for celebrating a special occasion or if you're looking for a great happy hour spot with a cool vibe and a great view.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceFoodfanDined on 6/20/2014Great spot. Food is good, great atmosphere. Chef came over to check on our meal, doesn't happen in every restaurant. Does have a lot of tourists because of its proximity to pier 39Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/19/2014The food was delicious & well presented. It was a leisurely & enjoyable. The only damper was our server, Ruth. She was slow & forgetful. Had to remind her on a few things & she even forgot a few things. We felt a bit ignored. Too bad it would of been over the top for us!Special Features:
- Great food,great view,great serviceshadeDined on 6/18/2014Thank you so much for the great meal! Took a friend out for his bday and it was perfect!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/17/2014the food is always good, friendly service good view, we enjoyed it everytime we are there.Special Features:
- Father's Day BrunchLocalVIPDined on 6/15/2014Hard to find parking. Lot across street charging 40 flat rate! No cheap way to get to the City anymore. Shared calamari, burger, duck spring roll ( best) salmon benedict, garlic noodles. Bread pudding was excellent. Not to be missed.Special Features:
- First time for lunchKhay01Dined on 6/14/2014I like the dinner menu more than thee lunch menu.. They have better selection for the dinner time. Food wasn't bad, just don't have enough selection. Service was good. I saw they did some changes on the restaurant. We used to seat on the booth. I did not notice if they still have a booth. The chair kind of uncomfortable to seat on. overall, experienced was okay. Last time food was really good and service by the server but the host did not even great us but the people behind us she did, really unprofessional. Will try again one more time, hopefully that host attitude will change because the food are excellent..Special Features:
- Excellent FaregrayDined on 6/14/2014All 4 of us had something different and it was all goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific dining experienceWine2dineDined on 6/13/2014Terrific food, ambience, service and overall experience . Enchanting view and surroundings . Wine list a bit thin and priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth every biteLovetoeatDined on 6/13/2014We decided to have an early Father's Day Dinner on Friday night. The appetizer menu is full of wonderful options, so I opted to order several appetizers instead of an entree. Everything was delicious...our teenage girls loved the pork lettuce cups and the garlic noodles. My personal favorite is the Ahi Poke. The hanger steak entree was cooked perfectly and had great flavor. My husband had the dine about town menu and ate every bite! Desserts didn't disappoint, you can't go wrong with Mitchell's ice cream! The service was great, the wait staff all very friendly and accommodating!Special Features:
- A little disappointingnot2pickyDined on 6/13/2014For the price, the food was OK, but not great or even very good. Service was OK and cocktails very good. Ambiance was "energetic" leaning toward loud. Overrated restaurant. We are locals and, given san francisco's great food scene, there are better choices at the same price.Special Features:
- Great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/7/2014We arrived early and the hostess accommodated us which was excellent customer service. The female bartender was outstanding. Our meal was great - we all had the 3 course dinner menu which is a good vaue and tasty. it was hard to hear the server over the noise.Special Features:
- Scenic Innovative Fusion DiningKathieDined on 6/7/2014Dining at "Butterfly" was a treat in both the visual and taste sense. The beautiful view of the sparkling SF Bay, great service coupled with an innovative fusion menu make this a special dining experience. Each menu item was prepared with care coupled with proper pairing which was pleasing to both the palate and the eye.Special Features: