Butterfield 8 Restaurant & Lounge
5 East 38th St.
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Butterfield 8 Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.butterfield8nyc.com/
- Phone: 2126790646
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Executive Chef: Masekela Jones
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: We can accommodate up to 55 for a seated dinner, 60 for a buffet style meal or 80 for cocktail receptions. Please contact for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Stella 2126790646
A word from Butterfield 8 Restaurant & Lounge
Business professional meets social scene in this Urban American Gastropub. Surrounded by warm wood-paneled walls, big leather booths & oversized lamp shades, this contemporary restaurant offers a unique dining and lounging experience perfect for corporate power lunches, after-work cocktails or pre and post theatre dining. The uniquely designed menu offers a large selection of small plates, sandwiches, salads and entrees to suit any taste. Behind the bar, an outstanding wine list, local micro-brews and a large selection of hand-crafted specialty cocktails are offered. For the sports fan, large HDTV plasma screens broadcast the big games. Private parties, large groups & special events are welcome, with private dining & event space available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butterfield 8 Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Out of business?Jenga2Dined on 8/30/2014My husband and I made a reservation for before a show and showed up at this restaurant at 5:20 on a Saturday night, but the restaurant was locked and completely dark despite stating on the door that it opened at 4:00. There was no sign on the door and nothing on the website, but it was Saturday night and there was no sign of life, so I think this restaurant may be out of business. I'm particularly bummed because we had a gift certificate that we get to just throw away now. :(
- BUtterfield 8Lion26KingVIPDined on 8/29/2014Almost a disappointment. Posh? No, Lounge? No. Gastropub? Not really. Good food? Yes. For full write-up go to www.celluloidclub.blogspot.com.Special Features:
- good weekday spotOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/6/2014Butterfield 8 is a great mid-week lunch spot, accessible menu with something for everyone. good midtown spot for nicer happy hour drinks. VERY loud for lunch in the back room. good to set up a group happy hour for a team.
- The following 94 reviews are from the Butterfield 8 Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- Burnt food - friendly staffascotinmplsDined on 5/14/2014After being seated it took a good 5 mins before i received a menu, but they promptly brought me my beer and a glass of water.I ordered Hummus as an appetizer and fancied the grilled cheese,which has Gouda, Muenster, Tomato and Prosciutto on it. The Hummas with Pita was pretty large and too much for an appetizer for 1, but was tasty. Next,my Grilled Cheese, or my burnt Grilled Cheese;how does a restaurant burn Grilled Cheese? Even worse,how does a restaurant burn Grilled Cheese and then serve it? Needless to say, i took a couple of bites and informed the waitress. She offered me something else and provided a refund, but a 4yr can tell when Grilled Cheese is burnt so i don't understand how the Chef and server couldn't - it burnt black!
- Great choice for dinnerRunnerGirlDined on 5/14/2014I went with 2 friends for dinner. The cocktail menu had some great choices and the drinks were well-made. Nice variety of apps and entrees, and everything was delicious. We had a nice little booth for our party of three, so it was cozy. Service was great, friendly and accommodating. Definitely not a spot to try to go with a large group for Saturday dinner, unless you've reserved the whole dining room or booked well in advance, becuase it only accommodates about about 40 people or so in the dining room. I definitely plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WASN'T OPEN!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/13/2014Don't trust opentable on this one....made a reservation at 7pm for 8pm on Sunday night and got to the restaurant and it was completely dark with the chairs on the tables. I recommend calling to confirm and make sure they're actually open before you make the effort to go there. Even their website says they're open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week...clearly not the case.
- This was a terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/10/2014This was a terrible experience they have a different menu online and admit that this is the truth. The reason we chose it was because of the menu online. The two dishes we did order were tasteless. I would not recommend at all.
- It was closed!AlyssaDined on 4/6/2014What a waste of time. I made a reservation for 7:15pm on a Sunday, received an email confirmation, only to arrive with a friend to a locked door of an empty restaurant. Phone calls were not answered. They need to update their hours everywhere on the internet, or at least on Google and OpenTable. Save people the trip and the embarrassment next time.
- My group was there right atErinMcCoolyVIPDined on 2/8/2014My group was there right at opening time on an afternoon, so there wasn't much of a crowd. The setup of the restaurant look very accomodating to a large crowd that can easily socialize. There are two bars (front and back) and fit for live entertainment. I would love to experience the atmophere again during prime time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staffingssniper1000Dined on 2/1/2014Overall a good experience. From a staffing perspective they knew ahead of time that it was a "designated" gathering point for Broncos Fans (they had banners out front) and were woefully understaffed for the crowd. I'd even say they were understaffed for a normal weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation was not honoredNYCdinerDined on 1/31/2014Reservation was not honored -- claimed computer problems. They offered a free round of drinks but said we would have to wait at least an hour for our table. We left -- so no basis for the food rating.
- Lunch ok, but nothing to raveMia418Dined on 1/13/2014First time here because it appeared to be somewhat ok for business lunch, but it was not that. The ambiance was not welcoming. Service persons were nice. But the food was nothing to be raving about. My burger was not done medium rare, and unappetizing. And the bun was breaking apart...either bad bread or old. Either way, I was not excited about the fanfare. I met a colleague to discuss work but the way the place is constructed, there is lot of noise that travels and bounced, like echo. I also sat next to group of guys so it could be. But I have been around lot of restaurants and the noise level is actually due to the construction of the place. Try a different place.Special Features:
- Very good Mid-townerLuv2eatVIPDined on 1/6/2014Good casual meal served efficiently - good bar and plenty of TV's as well.Special Features:
- My waiter was Petie. At aboutGR8FUDVIPDined on 12/13/2013My waiter was Petie. At about 9:15 I was told that a bachelor party was scheduled for 9:30. I would have liked to have been notified when I was seated. Then a host asked if we would like to continue our dining experience in the bar area. We declined and settled our check. The service was ok. The lamb sliders and fries were great!Special Features:
- Broncos Bar!cyranotonyDined on 12/8/2013I LOVE that it's the official Broncos Bar in NYC. Being from Denver originally, I love going to Butterfield 8 and seeing the Denver Broncos play among other fans. Plus, they have a great deal during Broncos games, $30 gets you all you can eat wings and all you can drink Bud Light. The only downside is that service was VERY slow during the game. I don't understand how you can call yourself the official Broncos bar and yet be short or understaffed for the Bronco game! We had a party of 7 and our meals all came out at different times, we had a hard time getting refills and eventually had to just go to the bar to get a drink. We'll be back, but it's because we love to watch the Broncos among our people and we love the wing/beer special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our favoritealexVIPDined on 12/1/2013Our favorite is popcorn shrimp, also the seared tuna. The service is always excellent, attentive, and the kitchen is flexible - they can mix or add or replace , the way we want..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience; food not up to snufeddiebDined on 10/21/2013For those familiar with San Francisco and its plethora of bar & grills, then I'd say this is a bar & grill wannabe. Walk in and the decor -- dark wood floors and banquet booths -- and ambience give the vibe of cool Americana bar and grill. I've been here twice for lunch, and I only wish the food lived up to my expectation. On this trip I had the tuna, which I ordered medium. Didn't matter. The rare interior of the fish, which I wanted, was a strip of mushy fish that lacked any flavor or texture. I tasted my friend's tater tots. Could not tell the difference between the supermarket Ore-Ida's. In fact, I think the frozen supermarket variety were better. If the food quality improved, I'd be here all the time.
- Cold food and slow serviceEmmyDined on 10/14/20134 out of 5 meals were brought out cold or undercooked. They were out of a lot of key ingredients limiting the menu. Finally took our server 3 tries to bring out a correct bill.
- Poor Servicealexgold5Dined on 10/13/2013This was always a favorite for watching Broncos games. I had always requested a booth for the games, but this time I was denied a booth and sat in the back room even though booths were still open. Our server had a horrible attitude and she did not want to be there. We ordered food, wine and beer and they were out of all three items we chose of the menu. Everytime we needed something we had to get up from our table and find our server. I guess we will find a new place to watch football.Special Features:
- Not a place for a business lunchExcellentVIPDined on 10/8/2013Go with colleagues if you have nothing important to talk about because the music will be blaring and you will scream at each other for an hour.
- Terrible Service, Bland FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2013Went for business lunch during the week. There was only one server for the entire back room who was not a good server to begin with. We ordered salads, which were nothing special, nachos which came out burnt, and the tuna with wasabi mashed potatoes which were so spicy they were nearly impossible to eat. All in all, a very poor 2-hour dining experience.
- Service and food was veryJackVIPDined on 9/3/2013Service and food was very good. Had a biz lunch for 4 of us .... not very expensive, but reasonable prices on a typical bar pub menu.Special Features:
- Extremely Loud and CrowdedLuseanaDined on 8/22/2013The crab cake was delicious although I had to be escorted through the crowd to get to the seating area. The bar was so loud there was no chance for dinner conversation.Special Features:
- Good Informal DiningBillDined on 7/30/2013I caught up with a friend and decided on this establishment due to the close proximity to Grand Central Terminal. We both enjoyed our mahi-mahi sandwich and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a great location andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2013It's a great location and nice decor but not suitable for a business lunch. Too loud and staff was inattentive.Special Features:
- I will not be going backWonderfuilVIPDined on 7/3/2013terrible service., terrible skirt steak, no attention to detail, out of many items on the menu, desserts were awful. The appetizers were good tasting. It was my birthday dinner and it was not a happy occasion, I left very disappointed and then we had to go somewhere else for dessert.
- HH draws the crowd here onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2013HH draws the crowd here on a Thursday- however, it's very noisy if you want to have a meal. The layout of the restaurant has the tables right along the bar, which makes it almost impossible to have a conversation with your neighbor. Do not recommend as a date spot, but definetly good for groups. Scallops were delicious and cooked perfectlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant food is ok, butLucyDined on 6/18/2013Restaurant food is ok, but it is really noisy during lunch and as a result not a good place to go if you want to talk to the people you're with.Special Features:
- same restaurant name.not atmosphereaarghDined on 5/17/2013went to the one in White Plains and thought this Butterfield8 might be similar. Was not at all kid friendly and very loud. Dining room pricing in a loud PUB environment. Not a good place for conversation. waitress was cordial but was clearly rushed and overwhelmed. Waitress recommends a white wine, brings red, then informs me the one she recommended is not available. The 10$ glass of wine was still on the check. Vents were blowing really cold air. Asked that they turn it down but we left pretty quickly because it was so cold. people at the table next to us were also very cold.
- Business friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/14/2013A great spot for meeting colleagues for lunch - super friendly atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Nice place, tasty food...CorndiggityVIPDined on 5/10/2013The Summer in the City cocktail is great. Mac and Cheese squares were tasty. Salads were mediocre.Special Features:
- Good lunch findPalherzVIPDined on 5/10/2013Good food, friendly and professional waitstaff. Good place for lunch near the library.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good neighborhood lunch findIamJJDined on 5/3/2013Tucked away - but in a good way- for a decent lunch that doesn't break the bank. Food decent, and excellent service with personable waitstaff and warm inviting decor make for a perfect lunch spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2013Nice atmosphere, friendly service. Tasty appetizers, burgers and salads. Fresh and nice-sized portions.Special Features:
- Music this loud is fit forOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2013Music this loud is fit for danceclubs, not restaurants! Quite unpleasant for dining, even when we moved to the back room.
- It's good...FoodLoverDined on 3/14/2013The place is nice. Even though the music was pretty loud, it was good music, so it made up for it. It did take awhile for our waitress to come to even greet us, but the place was also very packed, since it was happy hour. The food was definitely yummy and the drinks were delicious once we finally got to order. I'd go again in the near future.Special Features:
- awful awful awful- waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/11/2013awful awful awful- waitress messed up the order- most likely sis not place our order , that's why we waited over an hour for truly horrific food-never again
- I've been to Butterfield'sOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/27/2013I've been to Butterfield's 8 numerous times for lunch with friends/clients and never been disappointed. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Service was extremely slow,sis234VIPDined on 2/1/2013Service was extremely slow, our meal never came and we had to leave for a business meeting so we asked for our food to go.. they brought the wrong food to go - twice! They should be used to business people coming for lunch and only having one hour as that is the majority of their clientele. Not a god experience.
- Did not enjoy, too loud.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/16/2012This restaurant has an identity crisis. They served fine dining food with mostly fine dining prices however, the bar was strictly for sports fans. There were several large TVs displayed over the bar and the sound was blaring out of three large speakers. It was too loud and it ruined the meal. We ate fast so we could leave. If it is a sports bar you want then this is your place. No not go if you was a nice meal with a good atmosphere and ambiance.