415 Lafayette Street
New York, NY 10018Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://butterrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2122532828
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, American
- Executive Chef: Alexandra Guarnaschelli
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dinning for parties ranging from 40 to 300 guests.
Guests are able to customize their menus. We offer passed hors d'oeuvres, buffet, and sit down dinner options.
- Private Party Contact: Tracey Hill 2122532828
- Entertainment: Please call the restaurant for details.
A word from Butter
Butter is located in downtown Manhattan.Our Executive Chef, Food Network favorite Alexandra Guarnaschelli, offers traditional American Fare highlighted and enhanced by subtle global influences with the grace notes of seasonality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butter reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great food for a special nightZerotorqueDined on 8/17/2013We both where very satisfied with not only the food but the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected better. I got butter.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2013I expected much more than I experienced. The appetizer was very good. The entree was a bit salty. They did not have the wine we ordered in stock. Service was very slow. Overall it was unworthy of being on my list of must visit places.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/16/2013Went for restaurant week and Butter didn't disappoint. Next time I'm in New York I will be back.Special Features:
- FIRST TIME WAS BETTERdanz4joyDined on 8/16/2013THIS WAS MY SECOND TIME AT BUTTER ... I WAS A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED 2ND TIME AROUND. IF YOU WANT THE TRUE EXPERIENCE DINING AT THIS RESTAURANT MAKE SURE TO MAKE THE RESERVATION FOR THE UPSTAIR MAIN ROOM. THE HOSTESS TRIED SEATING US DOWNSTAIRS BUT I REQUESTED TO SIT IN THE MAIN ROOM. FORTUNATELY IT WAS EARLY AND THEY WERE ABLE TO MEET MY REQUEST. OUR SERVER WAS NOT AS KNOWLEDGABLE AS HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN FOR A RESTAURANT OF THIS CALIBER. THE FOOD WAS GOOD AND THE WINE LIST IS VERY IMPRESSIVE. OVERALL THE EVENING WAS ENJOYABLE BUT SINCE MY FIRST TIME AT BUTTER (WHICH WAS LAST YEAR) WAS SO INCREDIBLE THIS TIME PALED IN COMPARRISION.
- Great food, great boozepcakesDined on 8/16/2013Went for restaurant week and had the PEI mussels appetizer, saffron and ricotta ravioli with oyster mushrooms, hierloom potatoes (salty and garlicky, crispy outside and soft inside), and strawberry sorbet with black pepper and strawberries and ALL was delicious. Perfectly seasoned, generous portions, delicious! Friend had the fish of the day (wild atlantic salmon) with pesto over roasted veggies and the sweet corn creme brulee. The fish was tender and flaky with crispy skin, seasoned well and the creme brule was sweet but not overwhelming. The butter martini was sweet and didn't have that alcoholic bite to it, the agua fresca was like and a good summer drink, must-have if you like watermelon. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went their for restaurantromarmoDined on 8/15/2013I went their for restaurant week with low expectations as I've gone to a couple of other locations this year and was let down. But was very pleased with the outcome the portions were great the food was excellent and the staff very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great enjoyment!NoviDan121VIPDined on 8/15/2013We truly enjoyed Butter! The staff and service was very attentive and friendly. The food was excellent. We went for NYC restaurant week. Every bite was delicious. Thank you to everyone at the restaurant!Special Features:
- Butter was a delight. We wereKSKANKDined on 8/14/2013Butter was a delight. We were not disappointed in our choice of special occasion restaurants. Every morsel of food was outstanding. Would highly recommend to our friends and will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant Week MealmsdrdDined on 8/13/2013Last minute choice to take advantage of the prix fixe special and I will go back. The atmosphere was pleasant, and despite a full house and 2 bars, was not too loud. The cavatappi with yellow tomato sauce and spicy lamb sausage was a delicious appetizer, only to be topped by the short ribs entrée. Will definitely return to try the full menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B+OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2013After reading mixed reviews, we went for Restaurant Week to see for ourselves. We were seated upstairs without asking. Maybe we were lucky (or maybe it was the bottle of Brunello we ordered) but service was outstanding. Constant attention, filling our glasses, re-folding our napkins, asking if we were enjoying. The pace between courses was comfortable, relaxed - never felt like we were waiting, nor rushed. Cuisine was what I expected from Alex. Hearty comfort food, nothing "Oh My God" but solid. Apps weren't memorable (Charcuterie & Cavatappi), but recommend the short ribs, nice flavor profile with bed of lentils and carrot, topped with pickled ginger. Surprise was the Corn Crème Brulée. Really tasty, the unexpected highlight of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expecting moreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2013The decor needs an injection of love. The wood walls are dingy with several water stains, peeling paper, missing panels and a true sense of its age. The hostess was pleasant and seated us fairly quickly. The bartender served the drinks but didn't chat up the specials nor the restaurant when we inquired. The wait staff fell short in the fact that not one of them discussed menu options, specials, wine parings. There were no pleasantries. The food was very very good. I would recommend training for staff. Greet the customers with a smile. Invite the customers into the dining experience. For dome of us, its more than a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta love me some butterjcmeatloverVIPDined on 8/11/2013One of my favourites. Every dish were thoughtfully created with high consistency and care. Desirable flavours, beautiful presentation, great portions, high quality and worth every penny. I would come back for the same meal anytime. Appetizers - Charcuterie Platter + Cavatappi Pasta [best charcuterie platter yet] Entree - Braised Beef Short Ribs + House Made Ricotta and Saffron Ravioli [perfection] Dessert - Sweet Corn Crème Brulée [interesting taste at first and very delicious] Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ticked all the boxesctgalDined on 8/11/2013My husband and I had eaten at Butter last year. We found it beautiful & delicious , but pricey. When I saw that it was one of the featured restaurants during Restaurant Week, we decided to go back with another couple. Our experience was once again a great one. They had very nice choices for the prix fixe menu and all of our party were very happy with the food, the service and the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2013Visited Butter for the third time during Restaurant Week 2013 and was not disappointed. Corn chowder soup was delicious, as was the Wild Salmon over zucchini and other mixed vegetables. The quality and preparation of the food was outstanding. Service was attentive and the ambiance very attractive. Dessert, although tiny, was enough. We had the chocolate cake and raspberry sorbet. Both were excellent. Overall I would recommend the two level Butter as one of my favorites in the city. I prefer the top level. From the outside you would not predict this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent dining experience,BoomerDined on 8/10/2013An excellent dining experience, with fantastic service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerMcTeeDined on 8/10/2013We had a very nice meal at Butter. The room is beautiful and it definitely lived up to the hype.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good FoodJoeDDined on 8/10/2013I enjoyed the food quite a bit, I order the Lamb special, gnocchi, and Strawberries with Strawberry Black Pepper sorbet. I went with my brother and he had a chicken entree, heirloom potatoes, and a lemon tart with apricot doughnut . Everything was very good. My and given this type of restaurant in Manhattan the price wasn't horrible, though it was still $175 dinner for two with a tip, and no alcohol. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was that Iced Tea $4 PER GLASS and we're talking wine glass size...So I felt a little nickel and dimed.Special Features:
- Good timeMorehouse89Dined on 8/10/2013Had a nice dinner with my wife. Food was great, staff was accommodating. Nice atmosphere. Rarely provide these type of reviews but after such an enjoyable time felt it was only right to promote the restaurant. After speaking to staff it appears the location is also a nightclub some evenings in the downstairs space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2013Loud music, poor service, mediocre food. I will not be going back.
- DisappointedAdeleDined on 8/9/2013I live in a small town in Tennessee. For a long awaited trip to New York, I could pick only one big restaurant to make a night out of. Alex Guarnaschelli has been far and away my favorite chef on Food Network for years. With the choices in New York City and her name on the brand, I expected better food. The service was adequate and even fun--until we paid the check. For the few minutes it took to finish our drinks, we may as well have been sitting on the street. I wish I'd picked the Lamb's Club. Or gone back to the diner across the street from my hotel.
- underwhelmingfoodeDined on 8/9/2013underwhelming. food came out in small portions, the mussels were tiny, the beef short rib was okay. unimpressed by the Michelin star restaurant and food network star restaurant.Special Features:
- Great night!IheartfoodDined on 8/8/2013We made reservations for the Restaurant Week menu. I have to say, I was not disappointed. The restaurant was quite busy for a Thursday night at 10pm, but we were served quickly by very well trained staff. In all, a great experience and I look forward to going back! Delicious food, delicious wine, and delicious cocktails!Special Features:
- Good food nice tables upstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2013Walked by this restsurant many times, knowing that it is Alex Guarnaschelli's restaurant. Mixed reviews prevented us from going there, but restaurant week gave us an excuse to try it. Not bad, food was very flavorful, we had salad, mussels, salmon and short rib, deserts were delicious, good value wine special, the downside were the mussels, not the same type the former reviewers had, rather dried and tiny, but the broth was very tasty, may be too salty for some. Overall good experience, will go back and try the regular menu.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2013I went with my boyfriend for Restaurant Week. The menu was nicely varied, and all of the food we got was excellent. I was a little disappointed that my saffron ricotta ravioli had clearly been sitting under a heat lamp for several minutes - the sauce had started to congeal and the plate was hot - but that kind of thing is typical during restaurant week, unfortunately. It was still delicious. Big problem with the service, however. I constantly felt like we were being rushed, and when we ordered the restaurant week special bottle of wine ($33, cheaper than anything on the regular wine list), the waiter said, "Are you sure you don't want to order something better?" If it's bad enough to say THAT, it shouldn't be on the menu at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrid serverNotimpressedDined on 8/8/2013Bad service. Over rated food. Brief story that led to my party walking out after apps made the table. As we ordered our meals we ordered our drinks as well. We all got old fashions, a fairly simple and traditional drink. However, when they arrived they all had a bright orange color and simply tastes like watered down whiskey and orange juice. We decided it would be best to ask if we could swap out the drinks, even for cheaper ones, such as beer. After waiting 10 minutes to successfully track down our server we were greeted with the questions, which was paired with our server taking sips out of all of our drinks and setting them down saying that's what they are.
- Four ravioli a main entréeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/7/2013I tiki my three kids there in NYC restaurant week or dinner. The 3- course dinner comes with very small portion of entrée , especially the ravioli---- four small pieces ! It is a starter portion.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencekfjohansenDined on 8/6/2013My good friend and I came here for dinner during restaurant week (since we would never be able to afford it otherwise) and had a great time. I got the chicken breast and my friend got the fish of the day which happened to be salmon, and both were cooked to perfection and had just the right amount of sauce to accompany the plate. We also shared the potato side, which was more than enough for both of us. We also ordered a bottle of wine for the table - the one we had originally wanted was out, but the one our waitress recommended was excellent. The service was also wonderful, and we thoroughly enjoyed our time at Butter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week - Not bad!GabbyDined on 8/6/2013I booked this restaurant for Restaurant Week. I get that it's the busiest week, but the server actually came to tell us we need to hurry up. I get it, but it was just a little rude. The food was very good. Had the braised short ribs for dinner and mussels for an appetizer. Yum! I can't remember what I got for dessert. Something with chocolate. The service was alright. I had a drink with Pimm's and it wasn't for me. Maybe a different drink next time!Special Features:
- The food was all really solid,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/5/2013The food was all really solid, but for the price, you expect brilliance. Cocktails and dessert were the highlights of the meal. Service was a bit slow - I definitely noticed the amount of lag between courses (even the drinks took a while), and the server seemed to be the only one for the whole dining room. Downstairs definitely not as nice as upstairs dining room, and a bit on the cold side.Special Features:
- Favourite restaurant in NYCPG85Dined on 8/5/2013Absolutely love this restaurant. I have been here a few times and it never disappoints. The food is amazing, service outstanding, cocktails devine, decor is sleek and the atmosphere is perfect for a nice dinner. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone. I had the best birthday meal here, it topped off the perfect evening. I will crave this place once I return back to the UK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened here?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/4/2013With some anticipation we booked a reservation at Butter during restaurant week. We had never tried it and thought this would be a good time as normally restaurants try to do something special during restaurant week to try and attract new customers. Here it looked like they took August off like the French. Our first clue was the "B" rating from the health department posted in the window; how many of those do you see? After being seated near the front of the restaurant my husband noted that the huge vase of flowers at the entry was totally dead and sitting in yellowed water. The food was fine if not really inspired and certainly not up to the ratings in Zagat.
- A Restaurant Week MUST-visit!pjersldrpDined on 8/4/2013This was my second time at Butter (my first visit was on opening day of Restaurant Week 2013) and the experience was as wonderful as my first time. This go-round I was seated on the first floor instead of the basement. Downstairs, there's more of a party vibe whereas upstairs is more elegant. I was seated in a booth both times so I was happy. The dishes I had during both visits: cavatelli pasta & goat cheese market salad (appetizers), braised short ribs & saffron ravioli w/ mushrooms (entree), sweet corn creme brulee & chocolate espresso ice cream cake (dessert). Everything was AMAZING! And the portions were a good size because I felt full after the 3 courses. I'd go back again & again; they truly know what they're doing here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Dinner with the FamilyFrancescaNinaDined on 8/4/2013We went to Butter as a family this Sunday. We decided to order from the Restaurant menu because we had never been there before, so why not explore their expensive menu with a great deal. To start the service was impeccable. We were waited on a by a lovely server and the other gentlemen who cleared the table in between courses and filled out water glasses were respectful and not to pushy. For the meal i got the Pasta appetizer, the Short Rib dinner, and the Creme Brûlée desert. Pasta was super flavorful but the star of my meal was the Short Ribs. They were on a bed of velvety, creamy lentils and top with a delicious gravy and shaved carrots. SO SO DELISH! Desert was okay but not spectacular. Overall the experience and meal were wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Alex Guarnaschelli camefoodie8Dined on 8/3/2013Chef Alex Guarnaschelli came and greeted everyone that was dining! Awesome experience and the food was very lovely! Will definitely be back to Butter the next time I am in the city.Special Features:
- One word...Scallops!LizzieVIPDined on 8/3/2013Besides the wonderful romantic atmostphere, they have possibly one of the best scallop appetizers. It's a must try if you go. My husband and our friends enjoyed it immensly. They were also kind enough to fulfill our request for a candle on our dessert for a special occasion we were celebrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fancy food that's fillingfoodadventurerDined on 8/2/2013Food was excellent and filling. Very artistic creations. Service was somewhat slow. Was there for almost 2 hours for a 3 course meal for Restaurant Week. We were seated in the basement area, but I would have preferred to sit on the top floor which was more brightly lit with prettier decorations. It was a good experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingslal3Dined on 8/2/2013We went for restaurant week. It did not disappoint. The food was amazing. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing, but had a B grade!Kms13183Dined on 8/2/2013Everything was divine: the drinks, every course, the service, the ambiance, everything. The only thing that threw me was as were walking we noticed the B rating from the health department!! Wow! This place has an Iron Chef as their Executive Chef, and they have enough violations for a B rating? That's sort of disgraceful. Hopefully steps have been taken to resolve those violations because I would definitely love to go back.Special Features:
- Good job Alex!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2013Food was delicious. Dining room was beautiful and super cool. Best gnocchi I have ever had and to call them gnocchi is a disservice. Amazing to see a top chef out and about in the dining room and nice to know she is still down in the trenches for us Well well worth itSpecial Features:
- Good food and fast service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2013Good food and fast service. Only disappointment was that the Butternut Squash soup was not on the menu.Special Features: