70 West 45th
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.butterrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 212-302-8703x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am -10:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am-3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alexandra Guarnaschelli
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Butter Midtown
BUTTER is located in Midtown Manhattan. Executive Chef, Alex Guarnaschelli offers traditional American fare highlighted and enhanced by subtle global influences with the grace notes of seasonality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butter Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
470 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (256)special occasion (211)romantic (145)good for groups (120)hot spot (103)great for lunch (99)notable wine list (82)neighborhood gem (73)vibrant bar scene (69)great for brunch (34)late-night find (28)great for outdoor dining (13)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (10)Show More
- best mealsharkfinDined on 9/20/2014We went to there for our anniversary dinner and we did not know what to expect. It was literally the best meal we have had from top to bottom, and we eat out a lot in different types of restaurants in the city. We had the burrata and the homemade ricotta for appetizers, the tomahawk steak with escarole and grits. I could not say anything remotely mediocre about anything because it was all excellent. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014The Top Chef's restaurant does not disappoint. Amazing flavors and textures, but the staff drags the dining experience down. If you don't mind waiting around to get service, go for it. But as an impatient New Yorker, there are better places to eat with great service.Special Features:
- Worth a visitBrandonDined on 9/18/2014I loved my visit to Butter. The food was so good! You should check it out and try the veal bacon if it's offered. Great atmosphere and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealnycadamVIPDined on 9/18/2014The food here is very good. We ate some specials, some regular menu items, all were terrific. And, while a bit dark, the room is pleasant and comfortable. All of which make the fact that the service was not as good a bit if a surprise. Nothing bad happened, but the staff was not as helpful or attentive as those in other restaurants in this league.Special Features:
- Wow!FirebellDined on 9/15/2014What an experience! I had to try some of the items I have heard talked about previously, and they were delicious - more than delicious! One of the top 5 meals I have had. When my Buratta salad was delivered it looked like art and the taste was out of this world. That was my reply with everything I tried. Truely inspired food.Special Features:
- Superb food subpar serviceJSullyDined on 9/15/2014The food was everything I expected and more! The veal bacon was hands down the best food at our table. The only downside was the poor service. The waiter seemed to have a bad attitude and while not directly rude to us acted like everything we asked for was putting him outI would recommend this to a friend.
- so-soHungryDined on 9/15/2014Nice business lunch for secretaries, Mailroom guys, etc. Not at all a top of the line place that is really special. Very ordinary indeed. Some nice architectural touches. It is a bit like an underground "Dock's" without rising to the level of quality or atmosphere os Dock's.Special Features:
- It was fineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/14/2014Lovely atmosphere - waited a long time to be greeted by server, drinks took a long time as well. Sunday evening, only about 6 occupied tables. Food was fine, but did not wow and impress as was expected. Ordered cavatappi pasta app and it was the best item of the evening. Walnut torte good as well. Hake entree was nothing special.
- DebGDLishes7Dined on 9/14/2014Went to Butter for Sunday Brunch. It was lovely and comfortable. Best scones I've had in a long time served warm with a sprinkle of sugar on top...yum..so delicious. I had the herb omelet, hubby had eggs benedict. All was delicious and service was awesome. Brunch cocktails were also unique and delicious. Coffee, top knotch! One negative was the potato cake. It was a grated potato formed in a small cake and deep fried, ours were so cooked that they were not pleasant to eat. Yes, they had a super crunch but there was no moisture left in them at all and I could taste the oil which didn't have a great flavor as in it needed to be changed. I would still go back though as everything else was tops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Average...MMVGDined on 9/12/2014There is nothing about Butter that I would consider memorable. The food was average. We were served oysters and were given only small forks and not small spoons to spoon the sauces onto the oysters before we ate them. The soft shell crabs were very good, but the corn underneath was either frozen or from a can. The tenderloin was good. My wife had the ravioli with fresh ricotta. The ravioli alone were delicious, unfortunately were completely over powered by a butter sauce. I have eaten at some pretty fine dining establishments in New York, and had incredible and memorable meals in each of them... I am very sad to say that this did not like up to my expectations.
- Veal BaconFoodyRIDined on 9/11/2014This was by far one of the most amazing dining experiences I have had. I took my Executive VP out for dinner and Both her and I were blown away. First the Appetizer Veal Bacon was the most inedible thing I have ever eaten. The Wine list was great. For dinner I had the House Made Ravioli and she Had the New Bedford Silver Hake. Of course we sample each others plates and they were both divine. The Service was impeccable. There was one slight mistake, we both ordered the Veal bacon App but they only brought one. We shared that one while the preapred the second. I was please that they acutally gave us two more portions.Special Features:
- Good slippingBadburgerDined on 9/11/2014Burger was recommended as 'signature dish' but was over cooked not medium rare. Dry burger disappointing. Should have chosen the fish til talked into burger
- Good, just not for usJPEGDined on 9/10/2014We went here for our anniversary on a friend's recommendation. Very nice restaurant and good food, but I would not recommend it for an intimate occasion. I noticed several business dinners occurring while we were there and it does seem perfect for that. It's the kind of place that is high-end and notable; good for impressing clients or business associates. It was much larger than I expected; we were seated in a booth that could easily seat six, which felt a bit odd for a romantic occasion. The food was very good, but it didn't knock my socks off. I recommend it as a great place for business dinners, just not for dates or any sort of intimate occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butter can do better...DisappointedDined on 9/10/2014They food here is inventive and playful. It's a great midtown option for a business lunch when you don't want the usual steakhouse. However, service here continues to disappoint - from the hostess who cannot be bothered to smile, to the harried and frazzled waitstaff, not to mention the 30 minute wait to get drinks to the table (and another 15 min after that to get lukewarm appetizers). Even with great food, I'm not sure I'd be willing to sit though such poor service again.Special Features:
- WendyDined on 9/10/2014Beautiful restaurant. We went for lunch, the ambiance and the menu and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing Food!BPBjrDined on 9/7/2014We went Sunday evening when they opened and it was great. Great cocktails and absolutely amazing food. Service was great at the start and during our meal. However, at the end, our waitress decided to ignore us and service other tables. Trying to get the check was problem. Finally, one of the other waiters brought the check over. Getting someone to take my credit card was another issue. Again, we were ignored. A bus boy took pity and rung us up. Of course, that part of the experience was reflected in the tip! So, if you don't have a schedule to worry about I highly recommend Butter. We will definitely go back for the food & drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyJerseycookieDined on 9/6/2014The items on the limited menu were expensive. The hake was much too salty.Special Features:
- Limited MenujlturkDined on 9/5/2014We were a party of 5 and although we all enjoyed our meal we each had difficulty making a selection due to the limited number of choices, including specials. The preparations leaned towards the spicy side as did some of the cocktail choices. The portions were generous. The wine menu had many good selections but seemed a bit pricey even for New York. The decor is very natural but elegant as was the lighting and they have an outdoor section as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReneeMBVIPDined on 9/5/2014We shared the steak and it was to die for! Had to take a pic of it as we were so impressed with the bone LOL Not a good selection of reisling, however the waiter suggested another wine that was o.k.for me, however my friend loved the malbec! Very nice dinner before our show and we will def recommend it to our friends! Loved the matches and the thick business cards , very classy...Special Features:
- Hugely disappointed.FoodismylifeVIPDined on 9/3/2014I booked this restaurant based on adjacency to theatre land, menu assortment and options. The space is great and host staff congenial. The food was adequate - don't look for a squash blossom in the meager eggplant and squash blossom small plate- The experience however was completely let down but the glacial pace of service. We ordered four small plates, of which only the eggplant was hot, the first two took 25 minutes to arrive. The last arrived after repeated requests starting at the arrival of the first. The remaining cold plates arrived as we were getting up to leave, more than 45 minutes after ordering. When asked we were told the manager was checking, that it was prime dinner time and we hadn't told them of our timeframe.
- Fun timesBabsbunny77VIPDined on 9/2/2014Always a good time. Food was great too! Definitely a great spot to wine and dine clients!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2014inventive food on this small menu. Was surprised that with such a limited menu there were NO specials of the day to speak of. Had there been a few specials in addition to the standard menu it would have been a more appropriate selection given this price point. Having said that, it was enjoyable experience. Courteous service, prompt seating, vdry good drinks and the food was very good. Only course we didn't much care for was the liver app as it was just too overpowering for matzo and would have done better on their delicious bread or make more traditional chopped liver which has a milder taste. other than that standouts were veal bacon, pork terndlion, and the rasberry beignets. Was also nice to meet a iron chef.Special Features:
- good food ruined by serviceNolaTravelsDined on 8/31/2014The service was absolutely terrible. We spoke with the manager on two separate occasions regarding the poor quality of service and the slow pace of the kitchen. The food was delicious, unfortunately, the service absolutely ruined our night.
- Disappointed with the servicebsg1Dined on 8/31/2014I was very excited to dine there as it's Chef Alex's restaurant who is well renowned. However, I was disappointed with the slow and inattentive service. Firstly we waited quite a whole for someone to come to the table, bring water and bread. Then our side dishes never came and when the maître approached us to confirm if we had side dishes, we explained what happened but didn't receive any apologies or attempts to amend it. Also, the food was good and not spectacular as you'd expect from someone with Chef Alex's name and reputation. Ironically, the best part of the meal was the desert which is signed by another pastry chef. With all that, you can understand how my wife and I were very disappointed.
- Not up to snuffJos22Dined on 8/31/2014This place is usually my go to but the last two times the food has really gone down hill. Dry port with a heavy dose of too-sweet mustard sauce. Last time the chicken was dry. In their defense, my husband liked the chicken this time. Maybe I need to just order what he orders.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Food was very good, but the selections were limited.Special Features:
- DisappointedLynchpinVIPDined on 8/27/2014The restaurant was recommended by friends. However, they went to the other (older?) location. The service was okay, but slow (the restaurant was nearly empty when we arrived at 6:30). My wife ordered the soft shell crab that was over-spiced, over-cooked, and served lukewarm. My char was ok, but nothing great. Overall, we were disappointed.
- great foodgossipgirlfavDined on 8/27/2014My teen daughters wanted to eat here on our recent visit to NYC ... the prix fixe menu was good, a more generous serving of the watermelon & sorbet dessert could have been offered , otherwise I would have given the food a five star rating - we'd come aback againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014The food was fantastic (except for the fries, which were a little cold. However this was rectified with a fresh serve, but unfortunately they arrived right at the end of the meal), and the menu was interesting and creative. The service was lovely and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good - but with limited choiceJimmyDined on 8/26/2014We went here to celebrate a family occasion & my daughters specifically wanted to come here having seen it in a movie/ tv show. Overall, I'd say this is a really nice restaurant in a good central location. The food was very good, nicely presented & the service was attentive without being intrusive. The only downside for us was the limited menu - not a great choice here I'm afraid. Price wise, it's not cheap, but the quality of the food & the general ambience are very good & we enjoyed our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific spacelovegoodfoodDined on 8/26/2014Love the juxtaposition of the tall ceilings and intimate booth-like tables. Food was very good, as you would expect. Lunch in summer is a quiet time. Service excellent except that we had to remind our waiter to tell us about the specials more than once. Odd, but no big deal.Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodJunkieDined on 8/24/2014My mother and I were in NYC celebrating our "Big" birthdays. She loves Alex G, so I decided to surprise her with reservations to Butter. We could not have been more disappointed. Our service was beyond slow, even though there was hardly anyone else in the restaurant. Our food was not good, we both ordered the filet, my mother ordered hers Medium Rare, it came out with the outside so tough (and over charred) she could not cut though it with the knife she was given yet when she got inside it was almost raw. I ordered mashed potatoes and they were cold. We would have said something to our waitress, however she was never around and we couldn't get her attention when she was. Therefore we had a $200 dinner that was pretty much inedible....
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 8/24/2014Went to Butter Midtown on a friend's referral to their amazing food. Unfortunately it wasn't what I experienced. I dined there on a Sunday night with a client, service was incredibly slow and the food was meh. The bread was so stale it was breaking up in tiny fragments, the appetizers were great but the main dish took forever. We ordered everything within 10 minutes, and somehow we left the restaurant 2 hours later. Yes, two hours for a 2-person dinner. The restaurant was pretty empty, I only counted about 6 tables taken, and somehow 2 of those tables had multiple screaming children. Maybe this was an off day for Butter, but for such an expensive dinner, and with a client, it did not impress.
- ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLEBooneDined on 8/23/2014Firstly, we were sat precisely at our reservation time. The ambiance of the restaurant made for a special night. The staff was quite friendly and the meal itself was one of the best I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlianneOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2014Great food and wine beautiful space love the booths service sweet but lagging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely wait staffjeannieVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food was excellent and the garden was very pretty.Special Features:
- Wonderful!droroDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I ate here for our anniversary. Every bite was delicious and absolutely lived up to our expectations! We are huge fans of the show Chopped and had extremely high hopes for Alex Guarnaschelli's restaurant. We had lobster from the raw bar, the homemade ricotta and puntarelle appetizer, the beef filet and roasted chicken entrees, and the walnut torte appetizer, as well as a couple amazing cocktails. They also gave us free champagne for our anniversary! I would highly recommend Butter and can't wait to return!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014I have always wanted to come to Butter. I am a huge fan of Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli and I was just overall disappointed with the food. I went to Fig and Olive the previous week and I must say I enjoyed their food much better.
- Loved it all!NolafoodieDined on 8/16/2014I had been here once before when the good was excellent but the service lacking. This time it was ALL fabulous! Well done- we will be back! Don't miss the veal bacon or the specials--- very attentive friendly service this time that made the experience special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryIvySDined on 8/15/2014Went there for restaurant week -so $38 for dinner was a good deal. Started with a cocktail for $16! Service was attentive but rushed -we could have finished our meal in a half hour if we allowed it. Portions are European so don't expect to be full when finished. Everything was tasty by was hungry when we left.Special Features: