70 West 45th
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.butterrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 212-302-8703x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am-3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alexandra Guarnaschelli
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Butter Midtown
BUTTER is located in Midtown Manhattan. Executive Chef, Alex Guarnaschelli offers traditional American fare highlighted and enhanced by subtle global influences with the grace notes of seasonality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butter Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
453 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (257)special occasion (199)romantic (138)good for groups (111)hot spot (103)great for lunch (97)notable wine list (78)neighborhood gem (73)vibrant bar scene (58)great for brunch (33)late-night find (22)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (7)Show More
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The service and ambience were excellent. The squash ravioli was so delicate but had a deep flavors melted in your mouth. The raspberry beignets with vanilla dipping sauce was one of the best desserts I ever had. Warm, pillowy beignets with delicious raspberry filling and the vanilla bean flecks in the dipping sauce brought intense vanilla flavor. Incredible dinner!Special Features:
- Oh Alex.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2014We were so excited to try bitter since we have seen Alex's performances on food tv. The restaurant was beautiful and the service was great. It's dark but cozy and loud vs romantic. The food was a disappointment overall. Unreasonably expensive. ($16 for soup, $9 for an Amstel light bottled beer) and small portions. In addition the food lacked the personality we expected from the executive chef. We left hungry and feeling as if the experience lacked value.
- As advertised.CCLASL14Dined on 10/12/2014A great spot, with comfort food done right. The atmosphere is low key, waitstaff helpful. An excellent, upscale (but non-threatening) experience.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedSwankysweetDined on 10/11/2014Not worth the hype or money. Service was slow and unfriendly. Food was mediocre. I'm disappointed that we wasted one of our meals here on our 3 day trip.
- A mixed bagCarolinaFoodieGirl95Dined on 10/11/2014Our waiter The dishes at our table Our dishes were very good overall. However, I ordered a filet and it was overcooked. I pointed it out to the server, he just shrugged his shoulders and said "I'm very sorry but I did put your order in as medium rare." He offered to send it back but it has taken a while for a meal to come and I really didn't want to hold up the other guests. Also it was taking up to 15 to 20 minutes to bring us a round of drinks. This was puzzling to me given it was a Saturday night. But the desert that I was comped was fabulous! It was a beautiful restaurant but I was very disappointed in the consistent execution.
- ExcellentMomofmanyDined on 10/11/2014Went for dinner before a show and service was efficient but attentive. Our food was superlative. The chicken was perfect as was the ravioli. And the rolls were worth the carb calories. Totally wonderful.Special Features:
- Not what I expected...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014Was in New York with friends for a long weekend. Butter was recommended by another friend who had been before. We made our reservation on Fri for a Sat night dinner through Open Table. I called Sat afternoon to let them know we would be slightly delayed...they said that was fine, but there would be a bit of a wait when we got there. We arrived at 8:30p. Not only was there no wait, but there was no one else waiting for tables and there were several tables empty. Only one or two parties were seated while we were there. Our server was difficult to understand and didn't check often to refill or order more drinks...didn't expect him to hover but was not very attentive. The food we ordered was good, but the portions were very small and pricey.Special Features:
- Three strikes for service issues!HarborGirlDined on 10/10/2014Ok--The food was very good except we felt the veal bacon was smothered in mustard and hid the flavor of the meat. Service was terrible. We sat for a long time before anyone came over with bread and water. We ordered steak and the server never asked what temperature--when we finally flagged him down, he claimed that we ordered med. rare--No! Rather than own the mistake, he seemed annoyed that we challenged him. Then we ordered another round of wine which didn't come until, once again, we flagged someone down, to get our server--no apologies for forgetting. You pay a premium price and you should get 5 star service. If you watch the food network, go to a Bobby Flay restaurant where you'll get BOTH great food and great service. Sorry Chef Alex.Special Features:
- Expectacular!!!VacacioneraDined on 10/10/2014Después de verla en TV, comer en su restaurante es mejor de lo sonado. La carne es jugosa, los meseros muy atentos, las margaritas explosivas! Regresaría sin pensarlo dos veces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were not disappointed8thumbsupDined on 10/10/2014My three girlfriends and I recently spent a long weekend in NYC. We had lunch at Butter and loved it. The food was great...my friend Kathy called the artichoke soup "life-changing". :) I had the Burger 2.0, mainly because I always see chefs (including Alex) making bacon jam and I needed to have some of that. The burger was divine...and I am from Iowa and know good beef! The service was really great...the only complaint was it was loud and a little hard to hear...maybe dinner is a little calmer??? We would all return to Butter in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is better with BUTTERFoodislifeDined on 10/10/2014Great environment for a wonderful lunch! The Butter Burger was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Taste of NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014Went there with my mom, to show her a good time in NYC. We were 8 min late for our reservation and they received us with welcome. Service was a tad slow, but friendliness made up for it (plus, it was nice to spend some time on the menu). Food was out of this world! Mom had a great time!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Space it outOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I went to Butter the other night for a date. We had heard great things about it and were excited to try a new place. The ambience was very cool and the food was excellent, but the whole experience was severely handicapped by the service. We ordered 3 small plates of food and one entree to share. All 3 small plates came out simultaneously and probably a good 10 minutes before we got our bottle of wine which we had ordered 10 minutes before ordering our food. Then, before we were finished with the small plates, the entree also came out. We were hoping for a relaxing meal together but we got more of a fast food, hurry up and turn the table type of experience. If you go, I would highly recommend asking them to space it out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleasesDThompsenDined on 10/9/2014Butter always delivers a fabulous meal. The menu changes seasonally, so it's always fresh. The presentation is beautiful, the food is outstanding but not fussy. The service is excellent - attentive but not hovering. Prices are reasonable for Midtown, especially with the lunch prix fixe.Special Features:
- Fabulous experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/8/2014Service, food, atmosphere was better than anticipated. Would definitely recommend and will absolutely return. Only down side was that the outside needs a little spiffing up - there were some less than attractive plants in front. However that would not and should deter anyone from experiencing this restaurant. We would love to try dinner and brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pre-TheatreOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/7/2014Consistent quality in food preparation and presentation with a wide variety of options - on the expensive side though for the relative lack of uniqueness of the meal options. Foie Gras special with grape jam was lovely and easily the best plate of the meal; the "Butter" steak was a pleaser but was $45+Special Features:
- Food good, service horribleBubbaVIPDined on 10/6/2014This is a beautiful place in midtown. Has a limited menu, but two of had the Butter steak which was delicious. Appetizers are SMALL and expensive. My $18 octopus app was about 4-5 bites. That said, overall food quality was pretty good. Service, on the other hand was not. Our waiter could hardly hear us and we could hardly hear him. When I asked him what appetizer he would recommend, he said, if you order that, you won't have enought to eat. Just bad attitute all around. Pitty such bad service for such a nice and EXPENSIVE place. So, 4 stars for the food and ambiance, and 1 star for the service. Wouldn't go on my own dime.Special Features:
- Extremely impressedSiniayaDined on 10/5/2014I accidentally booked a reservation for Sunday brunch but there were two items which appeared only on the dinner and lunch menu that I really wanted to try. Our server was nice enough to ask the kitchen to make one of them for me and they did.... ordinarily when I go out to eat there's usually one or two things that are just OKAY or done mediocre in regards to the food, (like blan veggies, or a reduction sauce that takes away from the flavor profile of the food it is accompanying) However, this time is one of the first times I ever enjoyed each and every flavor profile from every single thing I tried. And I have eaten at quiet a few places such as the Four Seasons, Megu and the flavor profiles here are the best hands down.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodroblessolVIPDined on 10/4/2014I had been to the downtown Butter a few times and loved it, so wanted to try this new location. The food was terrific, ambiance was soft and warm. Very nice meal.Special Features:
- Seasonably DeliciousFoodnaticDined on 10/4/2014Still daydreaming about the squash ravioli. Delicious, delicious, delicious food from the bread & butter, to the dessert. Great seasonal cocktail list. Fantastic desserts. Perfect flavors all around. If I could afford it, I'd come back every week! It was a great birthday treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Star Struck!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014Wow! And all of a sudden there was Alex! She came to our table, answered our questions and was down to earth and delightful! That's what make a restaurant so great - an on site owner. What an anniversary. Incredible food - we had the duck and filet - both melted in your mouth (like butter). Amazing grits and grilled escarole. Grilled peaches and vanilla ice cream for dessert. We'll go back!Special Features:
- Excellent service, ambiance & foodLucy2001VIPDined on 10/4/2014I was hesitant about going to Butter after seeing some of the negative reviews but I'm glad I chose to go regardless of the reviews. The restaurant is beautiful and service was wonderful. My friends and I had the branzino, roasted chicken and cauliflower for dinner and all the dishes were amazing. The branzino was cooked perfectly. Crispy skin and moist inside. The sauce was delicious. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butter ShinesJet530Dined on 10/4/2014The food was outstanding. Each dish was sumptuous and more than delicious. Several of our party had the filet and each steak was cooked to their specific direction. The food was so enticing that you had to continue eating until it was gone. The wait staff was attentive but not hovering. They was friendly but not intrusive. I would highly recommend this restaurant and cannot wait to return for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annivesary dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014We went for wedding anniversary. The tomahawk steak for 2 was excellent. Lots of meat, juicy steak, and nice sauce on the side.Special Features:
- Butter is better!Fan2zDined on 10/4/2014Alex G. does not disappoint! This restaurant is great in decor, dining, and distinction. The food and drinks were fabulous and service was given with a smile! We enjoyed a nice quiet anniversary dinner at 5PM on a Saturday, but as we were leaving the restaurant started filling up. I enjoyed the burrata (best I've ever had) and my husband ordered the cavatappi, a scrumptious pasta dish that we wanted to keep eating. For our main dish I ordered the branzino, a favorite fish which melted in my mouth and was seasoned superbly and he ordered the duck breast which was tender and delicious. For dessert we shared (thank goodness because there was plenty) the beignets, again satisfying and sweet, oozing with raspberry sauce and perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good EveningfollysmomDined on 10/3/2014Based on other reviews comments about the service and noise level I was concerned before our visit as we were entertaining out of town guests and wanted to be able to talk. We had a great server, Christian and the food was quite good and creatively prepared. Our party of 3 ordered oysters, endive salad, mackerel (special), duck and pork milanese. The pork was a standout as was the endive salad dressing. When confirming our reservation, I requested a "quiet" table and the hostess was very accommodating. Looking forward to a return trip to have the pork all to myself!Special Features:
- Butter NotMidTownDinerVIPDined on 10/1/2014Butter was wholly unimpressive. The food was ok, but not memorable. Surprisingly, the bread and BUTTER were forgettable. (You would think that a restaurant named “Butter” would have great bread and butter – not here. Two small dabs of “salted butter” and “herb butter” for a table of 5 was strange). Service was inattentive – at best. We dined early – 6:30 pm – and were surprised how long it took for drink orders to be taken and how long we waited for the drinks to come. Two in our party ordered martinis that arrived in identical glasses filled to noticeably different levels. Appetizers were ok –again, nothing memorable except the “veal bacon.” But come-on, how hard is it to make tasty bacon? Better choices in NYC.
- Delicious Brunch!JAP33107Dined on 9/28/2014I highly recommend Butter! The food, atmosphere and staff were all wonderful! We went for brunch and it was the best French toast I have ever had! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what's in a name ?2gaulesDined on 9/27/2014Our first dining experience at Butter would have been more enjoyable had our waiter been more polite and helpful. He seemed oblivious to the fact we were talking and didn't just interrupt, but squarely talked over us several times. Some of the basic drinks (wine by the glass and beer) were unavailable. I had a special but others ordered from the main menu. The waiter never suggested they get a side dish. So when the food came they were surprised to see only a protein and some sauce. There was plenty of bread with 2 tiny servings of "Butter" for a table of 5. What's the name of the restaurant again? I'm a big fan of Chef Guarnascheli and was really looking forward to this experience. Needless to say I was very disappointed.
- hungryOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/27/2014food was good but portion size was ridiculous. 14$ salads could have fit in a teacup. pasta entreeof 24$ consisted of 6 small ravioli. waitress spent a lot of time at the bar, not getting our drinks. would not return although food was good quality.
- DisappointedVIPDined on 9/27/2014Service was terrible. Forgot some drinks, brought others with too much ice. Not at all attentive. Noise level was horrible. People had to shout(and did) to be heard. Will not go there again
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014The food and service were excellent! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointing.SalubriousdinerDined on 9/26/2014Heard great things about te food, but not great about the service. Had opposite experience. Very nice service but my fried chicken salad consisted of pathetic bits of thigh meat in thick fried batter.
- Very Disappointing FoodmstrDined on 9/24/2014The pork (entree) was extremely dry and very salty. Tuna carpacciao (appetizer) was OK.
- Great!SarahDined on 9/23/2014My husband and I went for lunch and it was great! The food was amazing; the atmosphere was flawless. I don't eat meat or cheese so I modified my salad to be, basically, just vegetables and it was delicious! The veggies were fresh and flavorful, and the combination wasn't the usual salad mix so I thoroughly enjoyed it. Our only issue was that our server was a little bit detached. We don't drink (which is usually the reason for servers to not pay attention to us) but, in this case, he started off as a bit aloof and remained that way. Didn't affect the food, though, so it really isn't a big deal.Special Features:
- Good location, ambience, food meh1cwayDined on 9/23/2014While the location and vibe is good, the food and service is not up to par. Took too long to get our salads and then the main course came right on the heels of it. The food is relatively good, but not great and the menu pretty eclectic.
- Fantastic food, Realistic PriceslunnjmDined on 9/21/2014The Brunch Menu has everything you need we tried the Butter Burger and the Cure All Omelet, both were taste explosions and full of unexpected textures and flavor combinations. Presentation for the Butter Burger was over the top flamboyant. The omelette was understated and plain on the plate but it was a ruse, it was deceptively simple on the outside. A unique experience. I expected designer prices but that is not the case, Butter is a MUST visit.Special Features:
- best mealsharkfinDined on 9/20/2014We went to there for our anniversary dinner and we did not know what to expect. It was literally the best meal we have had from top to bottom, and we eat out a lot in different types of restaurants in the city. We had the burrata and the homemade ricotta for appetizers, the tomahawk steak with escarole and grits. I could not say anything remotely mediocre about anything because it was all excellent. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Bad serviceDaisyDinerDined on 9/20/2014The Top Chef's restaurant does not disappoint. Amazing flavors and textures, but the staff drags the dining experience down. If you don't mind waiting around to get service, go for it. But as an impatient New Yorker, there are better places to eat with great service.Special Features:
- Surprised!GracaviDined on 9/20/2014We were surprised by the quality, creativity and the service of this restaurant. It was an amazing experience! The menu is different and has a vegetarian and vegan choice. By the way, the eggplant was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.