70 West 45th
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.butterrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 302-8703
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am-3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30pm - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alexandra Guarnaschelli
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Butter Midtown
BUTTER is located in Midtown Manhattan. Executive Chef, Alex Guarnaschelli offers traditional American fare highlighted and enhanced by subtle global influences with the grace notes of seasonality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butter Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
429 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (244)special occasion (180)romantic (133)hot spot (94)good for groups (93)great for lunch (79)notable wine list (70)neighborhood gem (69)vibrant bar scene (54)great for brunch (34)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (6)Show More
- Would never go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2014Food was tasteless and presentation was poorly done.Special Features:
- DisappointedMattVIPDined on 11/23/2014The menu is not extensive. The decor is all dark wood and is sort of blah. Of the one thing on the menu that I wanted they didn't have. How can you run out of chicken??? Although somehow I could have had chicken on my salad..... We were not impressed. It just wasn't our night, I guess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing.DiningDivaVIPDined on 11/23/2014I expected more from the renowned Alex Guarnaschelli. The menu was extremely limited, but did offer a chicken dish, which they told us they ran out of. I know of no restaurant that runs out of chicken. They also ran out of mashed potatoes. Had 2 Cosmos, very good. Ordered the burratta, very good though pricey at $23. Since the menu was extremely limited, we ordered pumpkin ravioli from the small plates, priced at $24 and worth it. Ordered bignets for dessert which were delicious. We're told by our very detached waitress that there were no specials that evening! Service was poor at best, busboys were very responsive. Would not recommend this restaurant to any of our friends.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/23/2014Don't know why people had bad experiences. Seated promptly even before our reservation time, server was very attentive. My filet you could cut with a fork, the best ever. My wife order the pork tenderloin, didn't realize the French description was that it was fried, they volunteered to replace it, had the chicken, she commented the best ever as well. Grits were scrumptious. We will return the next time we are in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/23/2014Given the star name behind the restaurant, we had high hopes. However the experience especially the service was very disappointing. It was as if none of the servers wanted to even be there. They barely spoke and our waitress didn't tell us about items they were out of. We only found out from someone else after we ordered. The food was flavorful but nothing amazing. In fact, the squash pasta while overall very good had way too much oil - so much that I couldn't finish the dish and the chicken dish, while juicy, was pedestrian. The ambiance and decor was nice although not what I expected as it was very dark and masculine for a female star chef. The desserts were probably the best part although the beignets were huge. Certainly better options in NYC.
- Sinking shipOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014so disappointed in Butter. We called to confirm our reservation and the phone just rang and rang. Then during dinner, the server said they was out of the Pinot Noir by the glass and didn't offer an alternative. Instead he proceeded to tell us that they were out of most of their wine...really? The restaurants name is butter right? The butter we got at the beginning of the meal was the size of two peas on a plate. Scrumptious and stingy. I wanted the special ravioli app with truffles but our sever said they ran out of truffles the night before...even though it was on the menu as "tonight's special". Just before our entrees arrived, the server came over again and told us his shift was over and he was turning us over to the bus boy....it was 8:30 on a Saturday night. I wouldn't mind so much if we weren't spending hundreds of dollars per person on dinner! Our entrees came and they told us they were out of steak knives so they gave us butter knives...really? Overall, the food here was good but so far overshadowed by the bad inadequate service it's hard to give this restaurant high marks. Spent wayyyyyy too much on a below average experience. Will never be back.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014We went to celebrate our sons graduation from college, but no acknowledge was made, birthdays get a candle and a song. We ordered 4 different dishes, the cauliflower steak was cooked quite differently, hence the 4 stars instead of 5. The salmon ans tomahawk steak were perfect. The desserts were also very nice. Service was perfect, very attentive and helpful. Overall a great experience, we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 11/21/2014Food was excellent. The server was very attentive. The music was too loud and the play list was heavy on the base--not conducive to relaxed dining. The hostess was unable to change the playlist. The restaurant is down a steep flight of stairs. At the top of the stairs is a greeter who has no chair and must stand. We were offended by such inconsiderate treatment of an employee.Special Features:
- BankerVIPDined on 11/20/2014Visited with clients while on business trip. Great location and food was outstanding.Special Features:
- The bar scene was very livelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/20/2014It was very noisy. The food service was very slow. The decor was very nice. The seating was very intimate. OVerall, I would recommend this place to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very cool and upscale, food was excellentBillVIPDined on 11/19/2014My wife and I decided to celebrate our 20th anneversary at Butter and we weren't disappointed. We started off with two specialty drinks which were very tasty. We had the yellow tail appetizer and the ceviche , both were great. The mains were duck and filet, both outstanding. Portion sizes were nice, and you left satiated. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and ambianceHerbDined on 11/19/2014Butter was on my wife's bucket list, so we made reservations for our anniversary. Don't be afraid of the ghost margarita - it's not too spicy. Order the squash ravioli appeteaser. The web menu says it's a large plate, but when we were there it was a small plate - either way you won't be disappointed! My branzino was very good, but my wife's "butter cut filet" was out of this world delicious. We topped it off with a fantastic cheesecake. We even caught a glimpse of Alex Guarnaschelli but we didn't get the chance to speak with her. I highly recommend this place for any reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceTeamLunchDined on 11/19/2014Maybe the waiter was having a bad day (which shouldn't be an excuse) but i expected a better service from such a restuarant.Was debating for a bit if I wanna pay the service charge at the end. Not sure if I wanna come back.
- SandyVIPDined on 11/16/2014Much of the food was fried. We had been to Butter years ago at the other location and found the offerings to be tasty and healthy. This time, food was slow to come out of the kitchen and one of the sides we ordered, the potato cake, was not edible. It basically was a deep fried hash brown. Even a fork wouldn't go through it. Nice beer and wine selection. Cappuccino was excellent and desserts were good. We had a good server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014Best brunch ever! The shrimp and grits were divine, the basket of fresh baked goods was delectible! Excellent service from every staff member we encountered. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butter's BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014This was a great place for a group of 6 that just wanted a good, relaxing and quiet place to have brunch and be able to talk without shouting! The menu wasn't extensive for brunch on a Sunday, but it had the basics and everyone enjoyed the various dishes they got- couple of different omelets, French Toast, Eggs Benedict. Their Mamosas are fantastic. Didn't really like the white sangria with fruit though. Had a very strong rose water flavor, kind of soapy. Service was good, but we realized after we left the restaurant that an order of Brussels sprouts was not brought to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An elegant experience with personable touchesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014The front house staff quickly accommodated me even after missing my reservation. My server really made my solo dinner special with his attentiveness and friendly manner - plus, his suggestions were spot on and exactly what I was looking for that night. Amazing food and the raspberry beignets were incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy!DpipesDined on 11/15/2014Really boosy for a romantic rated restaurant the foos was good presentation not so impressing and they should really think About changing the dinner ware its really ugly and tackySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeverAgainDined on 11/15/2014I thought it was really mediocre. The food was OK, but not for the price -- and the service was spotty at best. The hostesses were haughty and not very friendly, and it was a pain getting a reservation. Never again!
- Great servicecyblumeDined on 11/15/2014I thoroughly enjoyed the food at Butter but it was the server who made my day. She let me stay until it was time for me to leave for the theater & was very accomodating all around.Special Features:
- Amazing food!!!TammyDined on 11/14/2014We went to Butter for my friend's 40th birthday dinner. The food was absolutely amazing! Great atmosphere and honestly some of the best food I've ever tasted!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRusty902VIPDined on 11/12/2014Food was good but service was awful. The entrees came out 5 minutes after we started our appetizers and the lamb pasta came out cold. Dishes were taken away while we were still eating. Staff untrained.
- Lovely pre-theatre choice!VogueeaterDined on 11/12/2014Had a lovely pre-matinee theatre lunch with my daughter. Overall we had yummy food in lovely surroundings. Definitely try the Calamansi cocktail - it was amazing and we highly recommend it! I started with the Butter Chopped Salad which was delicious with a healthy portion but mine was a tad overdressed. We both had the hen-of-the-woods quiche which arrived hot, creamy and delicious! The service was pleasant and attentive but the waitstaff was almost too aggressive in trying to clear plates that we hadn't yet finished with. All-in-all we thoroughly enjoyed the meal and have already made reservations to try dinner. Highly recommend this restaurant with delicious food and cool vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerMiddletownRIDined on 11/9/2014The food was fabulous... No less than expected.. Great menu support by our waiter as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchJlc425VIPDined on 11/9/2014The brunch menu was very good, although some of the portions were small. Don't go if you have a big appetite. The Butter Burger was delicious though!Special Features:
- Fair at BestMoneydoesntequalqualityDined on 11/8/2014Of course, our expectations were high. However, the food was merely worded to sound upscale on the menu and yet had the taste of average, local restaurant supply. Nothing blew us away and frankly, we found the wait staff to be melancholy and, well, strange in their demeanors. It was fun to get dressed up for a night in the city but I would much rather spend the kind of money I did somewhere where the food is prepared to satisfy tastebuds and not just a foodie's blog post. Let's just say Alex would have been chopped by the main course round. And for those of you, like us, who plan on listening to reviews online for Butter's "wonderful" raspberry beignet--well save money and grab some jelly donuts at your nearest Dunkin Donuts. It's uncanny.Special Features:
- Very disappointingPattiDined on 11/8/2014We expected more from Alex Guarnachelli. My husband and I each ordered three courses. His appetizer, chicken liver mousse, was salty. Mine, tuna tartar, was tasteless. The entrees were chicken, which was okay, but served with salty spinach. And my entree was a $45 filet, which was so salty, I could only eat half before my mouth started to burn. The desserts were good. The server deducted the price of one of the desserts, but we ended up paying a lot of miney for a meal that simply wasn't good. On top of all that, it was so noisy, we couldn't hear each othrr talk. Not a good experience. We would not go back.
- Butter Go and Enjoy!ScottP920Dined on 11/8/2014Overall the experience was very nice. We had great wine great bread and butter the food was very good however salt is essentialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be careful of the "specials"Pookie1146Dined on 11/8/2014$64 for Halibut?! When will I learn to ask for the price before ordering? It was very good, though.
- Great engagement dinner spotNikkirawksDined on 11/7/2014My fiancé took me to Butter for our engagement dinner and it couldn't have been better! They even surprised us with champagne flutes to congratulate us. The food was impeccable. Beautifully seasoned and plated nicely. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLove4FoodDined on 11/6/2014Everything I could ask for in amazing food and service. The food literally melted in my mouth. The service was great, our waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable of the menu. Executive chef Alex Guarnaschelli was there and sat at our table for a quick chat and pictures, she was extremely delightful! If you're looking for a new spot for GREAT food this is it. The hot apps, entrée, and desert were spot on perfect. I will definitely be going back! I'm left craving the food still!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding +SpilDined on 11/4/2014If there were an option for better than outstanding Butter would own it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seems the "Butter" has meltedfreshfieldsVIPDined on 11/4/2014Limited menu and expensive. Portions adequate but filet entree and potato 'cake', which is really rosti, covered in sauce concealing flavors instead of enhancing them. Waiter unable to adequately explain how dishes made or ingredients. Space large but you have to go downstairs, (basement), to get there so dark atmosphere in spite of skylight inner ceiling and upper wall mural.Special Features:
- PattyCakesDined on 11/3/2014We are vegetarians and we loved the creative way the vegetable dishes were prepared and served. There weren't a lot of choices but the ones they had were excellent and we would go back again based on what we had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service made the differenceEllie1819Dined on 11/2/2014Our brunch started off badly. Eggs were not cooked as specified and were a disappointment in presentation. Fortunately, the excellent young manager took charge. He changed our items, comped us beverages for our trouble, and turned what had been a negative experience into a lovely pre-theater meal. We will definitely be back.
- CarolemcarrieDined on 11/2/2014Ricotta crostini was great. Expected a little more out of the menu after seeing Alex on so many shows. I would go back.Special Features:
- Should have been betterIMOTASDined on 11/2/2014Went for brunch for the first time. Out of items on the menu and not very accommodating when we asked for variations due to dietary restrictions. Wanted to charge us extra for every change. Service was horribly slow too. Overall a major disappointment.
- montehallDined on 11/1/2014Was a beautiful restaurant. Filet was excellent. Presentation of salad and shrimp was fair. Steak could have been a bit warmer. Taste was very good.Special Features:
- Nice dining experiencewcfoodieVIPDined on 11/1/2014Food and drinks were great. Atmosphere was inviting. Our waiter was polite but not very enthusiastic or overly helpful. Probably would be the deciding factor on whether we chose to come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrazyOut4DinnerVIPDined on 10/30/2014The food here is very good but the prices are crazy. $45 for beef shortrib?Special Features: