70 West 45th
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.butterrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 212-302-8703x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am -10:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am-3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alexandra Guarnaschelli
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Butter Midtown
BUTTER is located in Midtown Manhattan. Executive Chef, Alex Guarnaschelli offers traditional American fare highlighted and enhanced by subtle global influences with the grace notes of seasonality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Butter Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
526 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (292)special occasion (229)romantic (158)good for groups (128)hot spot (116)great for lunch (101)neighborhood gem (91)notable wine list (89)vibrant bar scene (77)great for brunch (40)late-night find (28)great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Terrific spacelovegoodfoodDined on 8/26/2014Love the juxtaposition of the tall ceilings and intimate booth-like tables. Food was very good, as you would expect. Lunch in summer is a quiet time. Service excellent except that we had to remind our waiter to tell us about the specials more than once. Odd, but no big deal.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 8/24/2014Went to Butter Midtown on a friend's referral to their amazing food. Unfortunately it wasn't what I experienced. I dined there on a Sunday night with a client, service was incredibly slow and the food was meh. The bread was so stale it was breaking up in tiny fragments, the appetizers were great but the main dish took forever. We ordered everything within 10 minutes, and somehow we left the restaurant 2 hours later. Yes, two hours for a 2-person dinner. The restaurant was pretty empty, I only counted about 6 tables taken, and somehow 2 of those tables had multiple screaming children. Maybe this was an off day for Butter, but for such an expensive dinner, and with a client, it did not impress.
- ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLEBooneDined on 8/23/2014Firstly, we were sat precisely at our reservation time. The ambiance of the restaurant made for a special night. The staff was quite friendly and the meal itself was one of the best I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlianneOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/21/2014Great food and wine beautiful space love the booths service sweet but lagging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely wait staffjeannieVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food was excellent and the garden was very pretty.Special Features:
- Wonderful!droroDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I ate here for our anniversary. Every bite was delicious and absolutely lived up to our expectations! We are huge fans of the show Chopped and had extremely high hopes for Alex Guarnaschelli's restaurant. We had lobster from the raw bar, the homemade ricotta and puntarelle appetizer, the beef filet and roasted chicken entrees, and the walnut torte appetizer, as well as a couple amazing cocktails. They also gave us free champagne for our anniversary! I would highly recommend Butter and can't wait to return!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014I have always wanted to come to Butter. I am a huge fan of Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli and I was just overall disappointed with the food. I went to Fig and Olive the previous week and I must say I enjoyed their food much better.
- Loved it all!NolafoodieDined on 8/16/2014I had been here once before when the good was excellent but the service lacking. This time it was ALL fabulous! Well done- we will be back! Don't miss the veal bacon or the specials--- very attentive friendly service this time that made the experience special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryIvySDined on 8/15/2014Went there for restaurant week -so $38 for dinner was a good deal. Started with a cocktail for $16! Service was attentive but rushed -we could have finished our meal in a half hour if we allowed it. Portions are European so don't expect to be full when finished. Everything was tasty by was hungry when we left.Special Features:
- Very Impressed!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014I was lunching with a friend and had a great experience. The food, service, ambience were all wonderful! Each bite, from the carrot ginger soup to the ravioli to the watermelon with lemon sorbet was totally delectable! I look forward to returning for dinner with my husband.Special Features:
- Restaurant Weekfoodie11Dined on 8/14/2014The food was good but the portions were on the small side even for restaurant week. The ravioli course only had 3-4 tiny raviolis and the short ribs were tiny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentTriceVIPDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I are great fans of Alex. We were so pleased when she won Iron Chef and find her to be the most exacting and discerning of the judges on Chopped. We were thrilled when she opened her restaurant in Times Square. We were however, gravely disappointed in our meal the other night. The interior is cavernous and unattractive. The lack of white table cloths and the elevated booths scream tourist trap. The food was good, but not superior. The noise and clientele screamed midtown bar. We wanted a fine dining experience. We did not get it. As one of two female Iron Chefs, the expectation is high and we were greatly disappointed.Special Features:
- Disappointing...LuvmediterraneanVIPDined on 8/14/2014Went for restaurant week with friends. It was so loud that we could barely hear our soft spoken waiter. We did hear him say not to order the ravioli because the portion size was too small. We ordered the fish...3 bites and that dinner was over (poor presentation and tasteless too). BTW, appetizer and dessert the same. I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The food is amazing and the restaurant is beautiful. Overall its an outstanding experience. Will definetly be back many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectrileyavesDined on 8/13/2014had a fantastic evening at butter with some friends, its great for groups looking for a fantastic meal. however would not suggest it for a business meal because the volume is a little high, great energy but sometimes had trouble hearing across the table. electric atmosphere, unbelievable food, and an over all great experience. I recommend the chicken, and the beignets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceFoodieeMal7Dined on 8/13/2014Went for restaurant week and totally enjoyed the food. I also liked the vibe of this place.Special Features:
- Great pre-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/13/2014We love Butter! The ambiance is terrific and the menu inventive. Really loved the baked ricotta and pasta dishes. Steak and pork perfectly cooked. Only quibble as service which was slow and not sufficiently knowledgable of the wonderful menu. Chef Garnichelli is terrific!Special Features:
- Fantastic Food at Buttersusiesnowflake13Dined on 8/13/2014The table service at Butter is exceptional, and the food creatively prepared and presented. Everything was delicious-our party had the Sea Bass entree, which was a work of art, and the cauliflower steak, which had a wonderfully flavourful sauce. The only criticism to offer is for the decor, which is a bit lack-lustre, and the noise level...we could hardly hear ourselves think!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/13/2014Butter had a very nice menu for restaurant week. Food was good as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodKatieDined on 8/12/2014Went here intending to do Restaurant Week, which I have done in the past, decided to order off the main menu instead and so glad I did. RW portions are small and not cooked with much care. Actual menu items are DELICIOUS. I had the pork chop, it was HUGE and I was full. Desserts are sized to share as well. My only complaint was the collard greens were extremely salty. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it allOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We had the restaurant week menu and loved every course. The service was spot on and the atmosphere is fun and eclectic. A win all around.Special Features:
- Food Excellent but Small Portionsfoodie123Dined on 8/12/2014I went with a small group of friends during restaurant week. The food was amazing, but most of the portions were small. The corn chowder was a generous size and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten. The chicken was really good, and a normal size entree. However, one friend ordered the ravioli and was disappointed when only four ravioli's arrived as her main course- it felt more like an appetizer size than an entree portion. Same for the fish entree. Both the chocolate cake and plum tart were delicious, but small slivers of cake that left us joking that part 2 of our dessert would be forthcoming. Maybe it was because of Restaurant Week, but the portions overall were not very generous, even though the food was still really delicious.Special Features:
- anniegirl5Dined on 8/12/2014Great energy. Food was delicious. Resturant Week menu had good varitey but portions were very small.Special Features:
- Butter is delicious!SkurvybonesDined on 8/12/2014Butter is the very first restaurant I dined at in New York City! Being from casual CA, I was a little intimidated while we were waiting outside watching all of the fancy businessmen and women walk in for lunch. But the ambiance was very inviting and the hostess was very friendly. We were lucky enough to eat there during Restaurant Week so we had a 3 course lunch for only $25. We agreed the serving sizes, while a little on the small side, were actually perfect and what to be expected from a restaurant of this caliber. Everything I ordered, I loved. Only sad I didn't catch a glimpse of Alex Guarnaschelli herself because we are HUGE fans. Thank you Alex for our delicious meal and my very first ever NY dining experience!Special Features:
- VERY DISAPPOINTINGTooBadDined on 8/11/2014Restaurant week portions small. Awful service. Waited 30 minutes for dessert and it wasn't worth it.
- Great experienceDion2Dined on 8/11/2014Nice choice of items for restaurant week. Although the salad was very drab, everything else was delicious.Special Features:
- Butter is BetterjohnnyDined on 8/11/2014Loved our early dinner. The food and service, (thank you Sergio) was top notch. Patricia at the bar was lovely and very attentive.Special Features:
- upscale theater district resturantluv2cookVIPDined on 8/11/2014Alex does a great job with taste and presentation. Service is professional and space is very open. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great Business LunchTamiVIPDined on 8/11/2014Great find !! Only issue was waiter needed to be asked more than once for previously requested items. i.e. more bread & lemon for the water. Bus staff helped.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've had butterKimmerVIPDined on 8/10/2014Meh. We got there on time for our reservation and waited at an empty front desk for several minutes (it was long enough that I actually thought about peeking around into the kitchen to see if I could get some help). The wine list was disappointing. The food was just ok. Certainly not up to "Iron Chef" quality. We went for a special occasion (29th anniversary) but it wasn't that special. Butter.
- What a letdown...MsMewDined on 8/10/2014Guess had too many unrealistic expectations due to the chef's fame of recent year. Service was perfunctory but soulless, professional and yet indifferent. It negatively impacted the food and over all dining experience. The space was beautiful and wow, too bad the rest was not so well presented. Food was uniformly too salty for our taste, and the chicken liver app was a weird and rather unpleasant app. Pacing was inconsistent for a mostly empty restaurant. From being seated to finishing the first course took an hour. There were some stellar food moments, such as the perfectly cooked, thick-cut pork chop and the charming, homey touch of the beurre maison. But the food experience was diminished by a lack of service finesse. Very disappointed.
- Hoping for better...ScoobDined on 8/9/2014We had a post matinee show dinner here on a Saturday in August. It's a beautiful space and the waiter was very friendly and conversational. Unfortunately, the quality of the food was uneven (some very good, some so-so) and the execution on the food delivery and follow up was not good. Overall the investment was not worth it. We were there for 3+ hours and the last 40 minutes was torture trying to get our desserts and bill. Some of the entrees were creative and very tasty, we enjoyed the atmosphere for the first 2 hours...but, we wouldn't go back to Butter. We had really high hopes to find a spot away from the run of the mill Broadway dining but within walking distance of the theater district. Guess we will have to keep on looking.
- Fabulous and memorable foodNolafoodieDined on 8/8/2014All six of us loved every dish we ordered- the veal bacon charcuterie we all want again and again. We will go back! The only downfall was the in attentive service and the lack of service mentality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FLvisitorDined on 8/8/2014Very nice experience missed seeing Alex! Claire N our server was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/8/2014I was expecting great food and while some dishes were fantastic, others fell completely flat. 50/50 are not odds I'd like taking with a meal at this level.
- Great Dining ExperienceSapphireBelleDined on 8/8/2014The food was delicious, and I would describe the setting at rustic with a touch of nostalgic charm. Our waitress was extremely attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayNatalieDeeDined on 8/7/2014This was my third time at Butter, and it was by far my least satisfying experience. The food was simply not up to par, just not comparable to my prior experiences. My bacon appetizer was small and a little tough -- either overcooked or left out too long after cooking, or maybe a little bit of both. I got the fish of the day for my main dish, which was a beautiful, buttery piece of hake, but it was covered in a very odd, strong fruit sauce (way too sweet), which was totally unexpected. The menu or server should have denoted that it would be a sweet dish (over white beans...pretty bizarre). My chocolate cake dessert was lovely. All in all, I have LOVED Butter the past 2 times I went, but this time was very mediocre.
- Tiniest portions I have seenNYERDined on 8/7/2014We went for restaurant week. We work around the corner and wanted to try it. The food tasted great, but we have NEVER seen such tiny portions! Really four tiny ravioli's for a main course! The drinks were great, but pricey ($18). Service was okay except we were given the next tables food! If you are on a diet, this is the place for you as portion control is their greatest strength! I don't think I have ever seen such a thin slice of chocolate cake. The taste was great though. We will not be coming back.Special Features:
- FoodMeciDined on 8/7/2014The "short ribs" was salty. If there was a piece of bread on the side it would have been helpful in taking the salty taste down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotKMF58VIPDined on 8/7/2014I have dined at Butter several times and each time was excellentSpecial Features: