Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego
5255 Kearny Villa Road
San Diego, CA 92123Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.butchershop.signonsandiego.com/
- Phone: 8585652272x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Felix Guerrero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining options available for groups of 25 to 200. Please call 858-565-2272 for details.
- Special Events: Elegant Banquet Facilities available to accommodate all of your party needs- Wedding receptions, Rehearsal dinners, Holiday parties and luncheons, Retirements, Corporate events, Military parties, Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner events from 25-200 guests.
A word from Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego
Reminiscent of a classic Chicago-style steakhouse, The Butcher Shop features only the finest quality mid-western aged steaks and chops, charbroiled to perfection over a mesquite wood-fired grill. In addition to the USDA Choice & Prime Beef steaks, the extensive menu also is highlighted by Angus Prime Rib, slow-roasted to retain its tender juiciness, as well as veal, chicken, lobster tail, king crab legs, and shrimp entrees. The dessert selection is nothing short of decadent, and there is a full bar and excellent wine list. The ambiance is elegant, warm, and intimate with rich dark wood paneling, comfortable leather booths, gleaming brass, beautifully etched-glass panels, and a cozy fireplace. The gracious and attentive service staff will anticipate your every need and ensure that your dining experience exceeds your highest expectations. Whether you visit for lunch, dinner, or just cocktails & appetizers in the lounge, you will soon list this among your favorite dining destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Kearny Mesa ›
Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)romantic (62)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (45)great for lunch (31)fit for foodies (27)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (12)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Nice but ProblematicArtLoverDined on 7/25/2014The hosts and server were kind and helpful, but the food was subpar. The Prime Rib we ordered was cold and had a lot of fat on it. A 10 oz. had at least 3 oz. of fat. They also forgot to bring part of our order - a side of Asparagras. Lastly even though the server was kind and had a nice personality, her service was subpar and she appeared unkempt.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/24/2014Have been going to the Butcher Shop for many years. It is one of my favorite restaurants. Food and Service is excellent and price is right. Would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Our group numbered five. We were seated very promptly. Service was good without being obnoxious. The food is consistently top of the line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014A great American steakhouse! Good food, plenty of options, generous portions! I'll be coming back!Special Features:
- Nice evening outafitfoodieDined on 7/20/2014I took my wife for her birthday and we had a great time. The crab cakes were better than what I had in Maryland. Steaks cooked perfect, wine wonderful and the waitress brought a free dessert with a candle. But the surprise is the prices are so reasonable. We'll be going there again every soon.Special Features:
- LovesToEatDined on 7/19/2014We decided to try the Butcher Shop after a visit recently. The food was good, the house wine a great selection BUT the service was blah. Our waitress seemed ready to fall asleep at any moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Everything was great till they seated a family in our section with a screaming child. No where around us were there any children. Couples and business people and we were there for a special occasion sitting right by the fireplace and all ruined by this child who did not quite down till the end when the parents finally gave them a bottle. Wish they had done that in the beginning.Special Features:
- Butcher Shop FanromanticdiningloverVIPDined on 7/13/2014Dining at the Butcher Shop is always a treat! The ambience and the food are terrific! The service is superb and, if you are so inclined to have a cocktail before dinner, you will not be disappointed by the drinks made by Pasquale at the bar. He is the classic bartender replete with great wit and a generous heart.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014The best stake in town. Great place you have a nice business lunchSpecial Features:
- Always a treatNancyvDined on 7/9/2014You can count on Butcher Shop for wonderful food, great service and that wonderful old world ambiance that is hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at good priceForidianDined on 7/8/2014The lunch specials are a very good bargain. I had the half-lb burger. It was delicious. There are several choices for the side that is included I had French fries -they were great, thin and crispy.Special Features:
- Dinner Saturday 7/5/14LarryGVIPDined on 7/5/2014Delightful food and wonderful service. The filet mignon was outstanding. A very enjoyable dinner!Special Features:
- Great food and service.Tablefor2Dined on 7/3/2014My boyfriend and I came to celebrate his birthday. It was his first time here and he loved. He had the surf and turf and mentionedthathid steak was cooked exactly how he wanted it. My braised shortribs were so tender you could cut them with a fork. Our waiter Jose was very friendly, funny and very attentive but also noticed we were having a romantic dinner so he was careful to not hover around. I will definetly be coming back to enjoy a regular dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old Time FavoriteCarlyVIPDined on 6/27/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at the Butcher Shop Steakhouse our entrées were the sautéed Halibut and mixed vegetables and Filet mignon w/scallions and rice pilaf best dishes were very good. I would like to thank server Linzi and wait staff Daniel for the excellent customer service.Special Features:
- melts like butter....surelyitdoesDined on 6/27/2014The prime rib melts like butter in you mouth, sol deliciousSpecial Features:
- GO TO Neighborhood GemRosebudeDined on 6/27/2014The Butcher Shop has been a GO TO for my family for many years. We have enjoyed Birthday, Christmas Eve, and Anniversary dinners never to be disappointed. They also have great sunset dinner specials. We can't go without ordering the New Orleans BBQ Shrimp appetizer. So Yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice birthday dinnerCheesemanDined on 6/25/2014A solid & traditional affordable steak house, which is exactly what I wanted. Not a foodie haven but everything tasted great and the steaks include bread, soup or salad, and a side so it's way more affordable than a Donavons or Ruth's Chris. Server was young and wasn't that great but she did get us what we wanted. Overall a nice classy steakhouse, I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great value and foodSusan1484VIPDined on 6/22/2014Enjoyed a great sunset meal before the theater date in Balboa park - good food, great service, pleasant atmosphere -and a first class table (exactly as I requested). Can't beat the sunset dinners for value, taste, and variety. Give it a try. Love the 'old world' atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great old school ambienceEatinprettyDined on 6/21/2014I have grown up in San Diego, and have loved this place my whole life. In my opinion though, it downgraded a bit when the new owners took over several years ago. They took down the great old glamour shots of the waitresses and replaced them with lots of tchochskys, making it Reminiscent of being at grandmas house. The food is still good, but after waiting about 30 minutes for the valet, I would recommend parking on the street behind the building. It's a great place to take your parents to dinner.Special Features:
- Holiday DiningDesunltdDined on 6/15/2014Unfortunately, the restaurant was not up to par due to the holiday crowd. My husband's filet was tasteless and looked very unappetizing. This is the 1st time that we have had a bad experience at Butcher's so we will come back on a non-holiday day.Special Features:
- Great place to celebratebigigorDined on 6/15/2014Went there to celebrate our Anniversary. Great food at reasonable prices. They made this a memorable experience.Special Features:
- San Diego's GemDonna11Dined on 6/15/2014The Butcher Shop has been in San Diego for a long, long time, which speaks for itself about how wonderful this restaurant is and how delicious every item on the menu tastes. It's our "go to place"!Special Features:
- A ClassicLouisaMaeDined on 6/12/2014Classic, warm, and upscale. The linens were crisp, the silver was heavy and polished, we sat in a room with a fireplace and photographs on the walls of black and white Hollywood stars and starlets. I draw short of calling it fine dining, because there was nothing stuffy or pretentious about the dimly let, ultra comfortable space. The dining service was a perfect match. At every turn the timing was impeccable, the pacing was perfect, and the entire service was nothing short of majestic. We arrived at 3:00, between the lunch and dinner crowds, the restaurant was quiet, but not empty. Every member of the staff, from the greeting to the busser, made us feel as if we were their only customers. We ordered the prime rib, and it was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zonies like it, too!LolaDined on 5/25/2014Brought some out-of-town guests for dinner and they enjoyed everything, too. Coming for lunch soon and dinner, next week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers DaymotoeatsDined on 5/11/2014I took my family and my mother-in-law here to celebrate this day. The menu was more like a dinner menu and it was very good. The halibut I had was excellent, firm and fresh my son had the boeless short ribs, very tasty and tender, the women ordered salmon, scampi and pasta vegetwerian type, All was very good per my whole party and they wish to go back for more! our waitress , Kelly, was outstanding. she took care of our room and I think she had 4 tables, one party had about 8 people with kids. Her experience showed as she handled the craziness expertly and professionally. Needless to say when we do come back here to dine we shall request her section if she is working. Thanks for the great time!Special Features:
- Mothers Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014Excellent food and atmosphere. Online reservation did not work, but we were seated within 10 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie1Dined on 5/9/2014I've been going there for over 40 years now. Its still a great find!Special Features:
- LrichDined on 4/27/20142nd time dining here on a Sunday to take advantage of the no corkage fee. Had a better experience the first time... This time the waitress wasn't very attentive... The room we sat in had potential to be nice, but there were horrible fake flowerrs surrounding us and bad artwork, and random nick nacks. And the sauce on my beef medalions with blue cheese was more like bbq sauce then a nice wine sauce.
- Prime rib - yumSusan1484VIPDined on 4/27/2014Great spot for a good meal, decent prices, and good service. love the ambience - tufted leather, dark and cool, formal dining setting. Good place to enjoy decent food and relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our favorite places.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2014Order the filet, you will never be disappointed. The sides are done to perfection too. Try the spinach salad. It is simple and amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchTrudiDined on 4/20/2014As always, a most enjoyable meal, wish they had brunch more often. The eggs benedict were perfect, great service. It's our favorite for steak & prime rib, along with the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Fine DinningsdbayparkDined on 4/20/2014Always consistent, this has been a go to for us the past 8 years. Americana at it's finest, friendly staff, great food and always prepared properly.Special Features:
- Not for meSorry1Dined on 4/18/2014My wife and I tried this place for the first time on Friday. The service was by far the most pleasant part of our experience. She was upbeat attentive an eager to be of service. The desserts were excellent and my wife enjoyed her steak. As for everything else, there was much to be desired. The tables were small jammed together, the noise level made it difficult to converse, and the lighting seemed appropriate for a less than reputable dive bar. The shrimp was overpriced, and lacked flavor unless you consider water a flavor. It was they defrosted cocktail shrimp and placed oil, it was the worst I have had at any restaurant. I was disappointed in the quality of their product especially given the price.
- DelightfulLove2EatOutDined on 4/15/2014Wonderful food, company and ambiance. The spinach salad was tasty, the prime rib delectable, and the top sirloin cooked to perfection. Just what I expected for my husbands tribute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ohlindaDined on 4/13/2014It was "Mad Men Night Out" for 6 neighbors (in their 60's!) and we choose the Butcher Shop to celebrate! We loved everything about it- even though it was "retro" it was a very very nice restaurant and we all decided we would be back. We were surprised that they had a banquet rooms… one small one and a larger one for a party! We'll be back for sure. PS- turns out our kids who are in their 40's love the Butcher Shop too...Special Features:
- Couples DiningLivetoeat1Dined on 4/11/2014My husband and I enjoyed our time here. We sat in the Fireside room. We were relaxed and savored our Shrimp Cocktail appetizer as well as fresh, crisp, salads. The spinach salad is the best I have had! Fresh mushrooms, onions, bacon and eggs on the top of crisp spinach leaves. The honey mustard dressing is a delight. My husband had the prime rib to his liking and my steak with caramelized onions and blue cheese on top was mouth watering. He had the baked potato-- loaded and I had the garlic mashed. But the bread is the best! Sour dough garlic bread which comes out hot, crisp, and tender on the inside! We shared a bottle of wine which added to our dining pleasure and it was reasonable as well. I recommend the Butcher Shop to all.Special Features:
- Very nice! The beef is excellent,PennyVIPDined on 4/11/2014Very nice! The beef is excellent, so tender and full of flavor. The service is attentive and paced just right.Special Features:
- pleasant lunch even with problemsSusan1484VIPDined on 4/8/2014Ordered a salmon lunch and it was cremated - but a quick manager and friendly waitress rescued the meal and the lunch. Well done staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 797 reviews are from the Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego reviews archive.
- Fun Celebration!mrjoaquinmDined on 4/5/2014Birthday celebrations are all about the people and our party was great, and our server was friendly, fun, and feisty! Good times, good times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I made a quick reservationRebeccaDined on 4/5/2014I made a quick reservation for three (my sister, my Dad and myself) about 2 hours before arriving. I wrote on the reservation that it was the day of my Dad's 88th Birthday. Nothing was said, nor was it acknowledged in any way, so I didn't bother to say anything. I like the fireplace room, but the seating is a little too close (a concern when you move your chair that you may bump the person behind you).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.