Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego
5255 Kearny Villa Road
San Diego, CA 92123Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.butchershop.signonsandiego.com/
- Phone: 8585652272x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Felix Guerrero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining options available for groups of 25 to 200. Please call 858-565-2272 for details.
- Special Events: Elegant Banquet Facilities available to accommodate all of your party needs- Wedding receptions, Rehearsal dinners, Holiday parties and luncheons, Retirements, Corporate events, Military parties, Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner events from 25-200 guests.
A word from Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego
Reminiscent of a classic Chicago-style steakhouse, The Butcher Shop features only the finest quality mid-western aged steaks and chops, charbroiled to perfection over a mesquite wood-fired grill. In addition to the USDA Choice & Prime Beef steaks, the extensive menu also is highlighted by Angus Prime Rib, slow-roasted to retain its tender juiciness, as well as veal, chicken, lobster tail, king crab legs, and shrimp entrees. The dessert selection is nothing short of decadent, and there is a full bar and excellent wine list. The ambiance is elegant, warm, and intimate with rich dark wood paneling, comfortable leather booths, gleaming brass, beautifully etched-glass panels, and a cozy fireplace. The gracious and attentive service staff will anticipate your every need and ensure that your dining experience exceeds your highest expectations. Whether you visit for lunch, dinner, or just cocktails & appetizers in the lounge, you will soon list this among your favorite dining destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Kearny Mesa ›
Butcher Shop Steakhouse - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)romantic (58)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (39)fit for foodies (28)great for lunch (27)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- GrumpyDined on 9/12/2014The fantastic thing is that once you visit and return you will finded it just as you left it. Great service and food . the management realizes that if it is not broken don't fix it!Special Features:
- Great food, nice atmosphereRozGDined on 9/11/2014Great experience with the exception that the Special Ocassion, 2 Birthdays was forgotten even though it was noted on reservation request.Special Features:
- Good FoodchewieDined on 9/6/2014The service was very good. The prime rib was delivered as described. Medium - pink all over and no brown. The corkage fee was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food vs ambiancecissyDined on 8/26/2014We are fan for Butcher shop, always. But it is very noisy all the time inside. Even though it is only a family get together, we found it nuisance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butcher ShopMikeZDined on 8/25/2014I took a small group out for an appreciation lunch. The food was good and the servers were friendly and attentive. All service from entering to leaving the restaurant was a pleseant experience.Special Features:
- WorldtravelerDined on 8/22/2014The food was good, the service was great, but decor was dated. It seemed like the crowd was an older one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 8/21/2014A good though not great steakhouse. I had spinach salad, filet topped with blue cheese and mixed vegetables, all of which were good and expertly prepared. Service was attentive. Nothing spectacular here but quite solid.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treasure in Kearny MesaromanticdiningloverVIPDined on 8/21/2014The Butcher Shop is simply an elegant place to dine. For my friends and I, we think we have found a dining treasure long lost to the hustle and bustle of some of the newer restaurants. The ambience is quiet and romantic but also warm and friendly. If you want a romantic dining experience with classic wait staff and the most professional Maitre D and bartender in San Diego, I highly recommend this lovely gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Time FavoriteCarlyVIPDined on 8/18/2014I always enjoy dining at the Butcher Shop Steakhouse and I ordered the Braised Beef Short Ribs and Mixed Vegetables and my guest ordered the Mesquite-Grilled Pork Chop and both delicious were very good and I want to thank our server Kim for the great customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingnewsmanDined on 8/17/2014Everything was good except my wife's ribeye steak. It was very thin and overcooked. As much bone and fat as lean. It was ordered medium-rare, but I don't think I could cook a half-inch steak medium-rare either. I know it was listed as bone-in, but there was way too much bone and fat for a $34 steak.
- Very nice lunchGT350Dined on 8/11/2014We made reservations for lunch but arrived early. No problem; we were seated immediately. Our server, Lauren, arrived quickly and was attentive during our entire meal. The food was great and the service was as well. It had a been a while since we had been to the Butcher Shop and I'm not sure why, but we'll certainly be back much sooner. Old style ambiance but great food and service.Special Features:
- BIG DISAPPOINTMENTsorryDined on 8/9/2014I ordered a 8 oz. prime rib and two ounces of it was fat. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Butcher Shop Steak HouseDonna11Dined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is ALWAYS outstanding, from the moment you enter the door until you leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014This is a classy place with linen tablecloth and napkins. Our dining room had a fireplace in the center and wood paneling. Our server was very attentive, promptly getting our drinks and appetizers. We ordered the combination appetizer, fried zucchini, potato strips, large shrimp, calamari, and prime rib bites. VERY GOOD!! For the entrée, I ordered the prime rib and cold water lobster, my wife ordered the fillet mignon. The food was to die for, especially the aged beef! The service was great, and at the end of the meal, the manager stopped by to see if we were good with everything. This is a pricey Steakhouse. The food and service is top notch, it's worth every penny. I'd highly recommend it.Special Features:
- The spot for a late lunchSusan1484VIPDined on 8/7/2014Was surprised to learn they serve lunch until 4 pm! If you have a late meeting time or lunch date, this is the place to try. Great prices for a decent lunch with all the 'extras'. Loved their Caesar salad with chicken because the chicken was tender, good size pieces and had enough dressing. Prime rib sandwich got great raves too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedDonnaDined on 8/5/2014The name threw me off and when I'd drive by, I would think "who'd want to eat in a butcher shop?" But when I finally got there, it wasn't a butcher shop, but a rather elegant, fine dining establishment. I ordered seared ahi, which was perfectly seared. The dirty martini was spot on. As luck would have it, the night I went was 1/2 price bottle of wine night. The wine list was small, but had a few good choices, nothing too expensive. My boneless short ribs were rich and flavorful. The main came with a choice of potato, rice, or happily, vegetable. I had the vegetables, and they were surprisingly bright and fresh as the spinach salad. José was a wonderful server.Special Features:
- Half price wines, selected bottlesmotoeatsDined on 7/30/2014Had dinner 3 times in the last 3 months. reasonable prices, good food, fish, pork, scampi and a burger! Service has always been with a smile and pretty attentive. Like the wine Wednesday 1/2 price!Special Features:
- great food and great tableDierksBentleyConcertDined on 7/27/2014The food was very delicious. The Prime Rib was soft, juicy and tender. We were seated in front of the fireplace and will always ask for this table. The staff was very friendly. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencenewsmanDined on 7/26/2014Food and service were great. Host was very understanding of a cancellation and tardy guests. He said, "Just let me know when you're ready."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but ProblematicArtLoverDined on 7/25/2014The hosts and server were kind and helpful, but the food was subpar. The Prime Rib we ordered was cold and had a lot of fat on it. A 10 oz. had at least 3 oz. of fat. They also forgot to bring part of our order - a side of Asparagras. Lastly even though the server was kind and had a nice personality, her service was subpar and she appeared unkempt.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/24/2014Have been going to the Butcher Shop for many years. It is one of my favorite restaurants. Food and Service is excellent and price is right. Would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryDined on 7/24/2014Our group numbered five. We were seated very promptly. Service was good without being obnoxious. The food is consistently top of the line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014A great American steakhouse! Good food, plenty of options, generous portions! I'll be coming back!Special Features:
- Nice evening outafitfoodieDined on 7/20/2014I took my wife for her birthday and we had a great time. The crab cakes were better than what I had in Maryland. Steaks cooked perfect, wine wonderful and the waitress brought a free dessert with a candle. But the surprise is the prices are so reasonable. We'll be going there again every soon.Special Features:
- LovesToEatDined on 7/19/2014We decided to try the Butcher Shop after a visit recently. The food was good, the house wine a great selection BUT the service was blah. Our waitress seemed ready to fall asleep at any moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Everything was great till they seated a family in our section with a screaming child. No where around us were there any children. Couples and business people and we were there for a special occasion sitting right by the fireplace and all ruined by this child who did not quite down till the end when the parents finally gave them a bottle. Wish they had done that in the beginning.Special Features:
- Butcher Shop FanromanticdiningloverVIPDined on 7/13/2014Dining at the Butcher Shop is always a treat! The ambience and the food are terrific! The service is superb and, if you are so inclined to have a cocktail before dinner, you will not be disappointed by the drinks made by Pasquale at the bar. He is the classic bartender replete with great wit and a generous heart.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014The best stake in town. Great place you have a nice business lunchSpecial Features:
- Always a treatNancyvDined on 7/9/2014You can count on Butcher Shop for wonderful food, great service and that wonderful old world ambiance that is hard to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at good priceForidianDined on 7/8/2014The lunch specials are a very good bargain. I had the half-lb burger. It was delicious. There are several choices for the side that is included I had French fries -they were great, thin and crispy.Special Features:
- Dinner Saturday 7/5/14LarryGVIPDined on 7/5/2014Delightful food and wonderful service. The filet mignon was outstanding. A very enjoyable dinner!Special Features:
- Great food and service.Tablefor2Dined on 7/3/2014My boyfriend and I came to celebrate his birthday. It was his first time here and he loved. He had the surf and turf and mentionedthathid steak was cooked exactly how he wanted it. My braised shortribs were so tender you could cut them with a fork. Our waiter Jose was very friendly, funny and very attentive but also noticed we were having a romantic dinner so he was careful to not hover around. I will definetly be coming back to enjoy a regular dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Old Time FavoriteCarlyVIPDined on 6/27/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at the Butcher Shop Steakhouse our entrées were the sautéed Halibut and mixed vegetables and Filet mignon w/scallions and rice pilaf best dishes were very good. I would like to thank server Linzi and wait staff Daniel for the excellent customer service.Special Features:
- melts like butter....surelyitdoesDined on 6/27/2014The prime rib melts like butter in you mouth, sol deliciousSpecial Features:
- GO TO Neighborhood GemRosebudeDined on 6/27/2014The Butcher Shop has been a GO TO for my family for many years. We have enjoyed Birthday, Christmas Eve, and Anniversary dinners never to be disappointed. They also have great sunset dinner specials. We can't go without ordering the New Orleans BBQ Shrimp appetizer. So Yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice birthday dinnerCheesemanDined on 6/25/2014A solid & traditional affordable steak house, which is exactly what I wanted. Not a foodie haven but everything tasted great and the steaks include bread, soup or salad, and a side so it's way more affordable than a Donavons or Ruth's Chris. Server was young and wasn't that great but she did get us what we wanted. Overall a nice classy steakhouse, I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great value and foodSusan1484VIPDined on 6/22/2014Enjoyed a great sunset meal before the theater date in Balboa park - good food, great service, pleasant atmosphere -and a first class table (exactly as I requested). Can't beat the sunset dinners for value, taste, and variety. Give it a try. Love the 'old world' atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great old school ambienceEatinprettyDined on 6/21/2014I have grown up in San Diego, and have loved this place my whole life. In my opinion though, it downgraded a bit when the new owners took over several years ago. They took down the great old glamour shots of the waitresses and replaced them with lots of tchochskys, making it Reminiscent of being at grandmas house. The food is still good, but after waiting about 30 minutes for the valet, I would recommend parking on the street behind the building. It's a great place to take your parents to dinner.Special Features:
- Holiday DiningDesunltdDined on 6/15/2014Unfortunately, the restaurant was not up to par due to the holiday crowd. My husband's filet was tasteless and looked very unappetizing. This is the 1st time that we have had a bad experience at Butcher's so we will come back on a non-holiday day.Special Features:
- Great place to celebratebigigorDined on 6/15/2014Went there to celebrate our Anniversary. Great food at reasonable prices. They made this a memorable experience.Special Features: