Butcher and The Rye
212 6th Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Butcher and The Rye
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.butcherandtherye.com/
- Phone: 4123912752
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard DeShantz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Butcher and The Rye
Butcher and the Rye is the second restaurant of Chef Richard DeShantz and will be opening in October of 2013. More information to follow.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Butcher and The Rye - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Butcher and The Rye reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (114)hot spot (85)vibrant bar scene (76)special occasion (58)romantic (36)neighborhood gem (27)late-night find (24)good for groups (22)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Large "Small Plates"swampieDined on 10/18/2014The small plates are interesting, well done and filling. While not the size of a full entrée, they are very close. My husband and I shared 2 meat small plates and 2 vegetable small plates and would have been happy to stop but we had already put in our order for an entrée. We weren't as impressed with the entrée, each ingredient was flavorful and well prepared but all together they did not meld well. We were happy that we brought our own wine as the wine list is sparse, but those who like spirits will be well taken care of with that particular list. Service was spot on. Our waitress was very attentive and helpful. Seating is close and the open air design make it rather loud so it may not a great place for an intimate night out.Special Features:
- Melt in your mouthMollyDined on 10/15/2014Loved the vibe of the restaurant, though it was a bit dark. All of the food was amazing. We got the Brussels as an appetizer which were deep fried and paired with lemon aioli and parmigiano reggiano. Very good. For dinner I got the Shepard's Pie, while my friends got the Seared Scallops and the Wagyu Flank Steak. We all tried bits of each others and everything was cooked to perfection. The beef in my Shepherds Pie fell apart and melted in your mouth. The Seared Scallops were a more refined pallet, but just as good. And the Wagyu Flank Steak was juicy and flavorful. The only thing i wasn't a huge fan of was my drink. I got the Ka Le Ma cocktail, because Indiana Jones. Couldn't resist. But it just tasted odd. Overall, highly recommend!Special Features:
- AAAH! MAAA! ZING!!!!KirstibooDined on 10/15/2014The Mac n Cheese is this ridiculous combination of garlic, cheeses and cream that, as far as I'm concerned, has redefined the expression "comfort food". The Pig Candy....all I can say is GET! YOUR! OWN!! I promise you will NOT want to share. Tender pork belly (I know, redundant), shredded apple, cilantro and a sweet, tangy, spicy sauce. WHAT! I wanna know who was sitting around thinking, "hey, you know what would taste awesome together.....?" God bless her whoever she is. The Charcuterie platter is a collection of duck stuff, some kind of sausage and some other something or other and something that tasted like bacon. Just different tastes from a bit spicy to "earthy". And the grape mustard was pretty awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomePagypoDined on 10/9/2014Good was fantastic. Service was tentative but not over bearing. Would recommend the flank steak and the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing due to servicekaiaVIPDined on 9/27/2014Beautiful, fun place. We were on time for a 6:30 reservation but barely made it across the street to Heinz Hall for 9 pm performance. Things started off well, and service was great. However, entrees seemed to take a very long time and came out one by one. My husband's short ribs came out first and looked as if they had been spilled on the way up. Then his brother's steak came out, followed by my sister in law's scallops. Despite my insisting, they waited to begin eating until my scallops arrived. This seemed to take 10 minutes. First entree arrived at 7:30 and by then we were all looking at our watches. My husband said his dinner was bad, plus it was cold. No server came back to check on us once meals arrived.Special Features:
- Food was OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014I had the scallops. They were over-seasoned and tasted salty. My wife had the roasted chicken, which was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie HeavenCaddoLilyDined on 9/19/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant to any foodie. The eclectic menu and abundance of pork was a delight. They also have an amazing whiskey/bourbon selection and make a wonderful perfect Manhattan! Duck pasta was elegantly simple but amazingly tasty.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014Food was excellent but tables very close to one anotherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014Ambiance is great. Food and service are really good. Will return (although it is a little pricey).Special Features:
- Sept 2014 Butcher and the Rye VisitPittGradDined on 9/17/2014We went to dinner here for our anniversary. I had gone only for cocktails and appetizers before and was excited to get a reservation. As I expected, the drinks from the bar and the bourbon selection were outstanding. This is definitely a whiskey / bourbon drinker's place! The decor is like... turn of the century hunting lodge. It is a neat place. We had the Brussels as an app and they were incredible! Super delicious, I would order them again. However, I felt like the entres fell short. My fiance had the steak special with escargot and mushrooms. I had the scallops in blue crab risotto. Both entres were tasty but not the best ever. Overall, we would certainly go back but probably not for a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014This was our first visit - we had an excellent experience. Unique and intriguing drink and dinner menu.Special Features:
- Rustic ElegancemacncheesequeenDined on 9/12/2014Amazing birthday dinner. Three out of the four in our party got the gourmet burger and french fries and were astonished. No wonder they only make 20 burgers a day! I had the small plates of mac n' cheese and brussels, and it was easily the best plates of the two I've ever had. Our waitress was very attentive with our drinks, but not bothersome at all during conversation. The decor was beyond beautiful and took you out of downtown Pittsburgh for a dinner experience. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Anniversary Excellence!JKingDined on 9/10/2014We went there the other night for our anniversary dinner. We'd previously been to Meat and Potatoes and had been looking forward to a similar dining experience and we were not disappointed! Our meal was outstanding! We split the Pig Candy, Ceasar Salad and shared our entrees of Dirty Pasta and Waygu Flank Steak. And don't forget to get the Smores for dessert. A tasty way to commemorate our big day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedTravelerDined on 9/10/2014I'm a business traveller and with others we've been working our way through the top 25 restaurants in Pittsburgh. The Butcher and the Rye is now a favorite. The small plates (Brussels, cauliflower, Mac and Cheese, and Cheese board) were very good with the Brussels & Mac and Cheese the stand outs. All of us chose the scallops with risotto and all agreed it was a wonderful dish. Two of us had different cocktails and we're very happy with our selections. The place is a fun atmosphere and the bar was full on a Wednesday night but the dining room off the bar was not too noisy. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasion dinnerbeepittsburghDined on 9/6/2014Visited the Butcher and the Rye on Saturday night. Our table was extremely small but we made it work out; our server was excellent We shared the pork candy - the kimchee was excellent but the pork itself wasn't outstanding. We both had the scallop dinner with lobster risotto - excellent meal that I would recommend. The custom mixed drinks were a treat. The deconstructive smore was an excellent choice for dessert. Overall, expect good, creative food but also expect to pay top dollar for it. I would return for a special occasionSpecial Features:
- great expectationsiriniDined on 9/4/2014as Meat and Potatoes has become a favorite, we had great expectations for our first time and we were not disappointed. From the great cocktails to every dish we ordered we began to forget we were in Pittsburgh. First class service enhanced our experience. We will be returning within the next two weeks.Special Features:
- Stick to the baragentmosquitoDined on 8/22/2014Cocktails were awesome. Food was okay -- trying too hard to be innovative and only succeeding 20% of the time. I've done better roasted brussels at home (theirs were overseasoned and over-cheesed); skirt steak was almost inedible (chewy and accompanied by way too many gluey rice things that just took up space); but the pig candy was very nice. Service was perfect. Seated perfectly at our reservation time. Next time in Pittsburgh, we'll come here for drinks, and then find a place for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sam1Dined on 8/20/2014Kevin was an excellent server, and his food recommendations were spot on. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/20/2014I have been here twice, and both times I have been amazed by the food--it was creative, delicious and well-executed. The desserts were truly amazing! The only thing that wasn't outstanding was the mussels. It is a little noisy--so it might not be the best choice for anyone with hearing difficulties, but otherwise a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Butcher and The Rye is an outstanding restaurant. The food was incredible and creative, and the service was excellent. We can't wait to dine there again!Special Features:
- Go Already!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/16/2014If you have been on the fence, get off and go. Great drinks and good food - bourbon lovers, this is your spot for well crafted bourbon drinks or jut to enjoy neat.. I was there with a group of four - all of us had a cocktail to start; the Manhattan's were killer. Then we ordered small plates, the brussel sprouts are out of this world- I personally loved the shisito peppers - but I am a pepper guy. We had four different entrees, seared scallops w/ blue crab risotto, roasted chicken, walleye and wagyu flank steak. All were fantastic. The wagyu was very good, cooked to perfection. I had the walleye, it was fresh and flavorful. No swings and misses here. A good experience overall. Looking forward to a return visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING SCALLOPS!DCSnobDined on 8/15/2014We went for restaurant week. Was a bit disappointed that the menu was already chosen for you, in other cities you get at least a few options to choose from during restaurant week to try out different menu items on their menu, not the case here. I ended up ordering off the regular menu which was fantastic. Will definitely be back, but won't wait for restaurant week. Not worth trying to get reservations during a busy week.Special Features:
- Disappointing FoodHungryDinerDined on 8/15/2014Overall disappointing experience as part of restaurant week in Pittsburgh. The menu sounded delicious and well planned, however, each dish was marginal. Even more lack luster, the hot dishes were served barely warm. Clearly, timing should be addressed in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Great food, venue and staffPghdinerDined on 8/14/2014We finally were able to get a reservation during restaurant week and now know why Butcher and the Rye is so busy--it is great. The decor of the restaurant is eclectic and a lot of fun--we ate dinner beside the stuffed black bear. The multiple levels keeps it from feeling too crowded even when busy. Our meals were very creative and wonderful (Dirty Pasta and Pan Seared Scallops with Blue Crab risotto). After our first dinner, we immediately made reservations to celebrate our son's birthday there in September.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thumbs up!MihaelaDined on 8/13/2014We loved the food (minus the seafood papardele entree) Great beef tartare, loved the way they cooked the egg that comes with it - a must try!Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Butcher and The Rye for our anniversary dinner. It was a great choice! The food was reasonable and filling - but not over indulgent. Our server was just the right amount of attentive without hovering or ignoring us. My only complaint was the brussel sprouts -- they were very tart. Overall, I look forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- A-MAZINGAaronDined on 8/12/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary. We have been to their sister restaurant, Meat & Potatoes, and have enjoyed going there, so we decided to give this place a try. I am a bourbon/whiskey lover, so this was a little slice of heaven with their bourbon selection. The wattress hit the nail on the head when she said that the restaurant is a bourbon and tapas place. We had multiple courses from the Pig Wing and Pig Candy; to the beet and summer salad; my wife had the scallops over the crab risotto and I had the Wagyu flank steak; and to top it off we had a deconstructed s'more featuring bourbon infused marshmellows and deep-fried brown butter ice cream. Needless to say, our meal was incredible. In my Top 3 in Pittsburgh for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good drinks, mediocre pricy foodmelkrazDined on 8/6/2014I've been here twice now and have concluded that I enjoy the atmosphere and the drinks but am continually unimpressed with the food. For a place that has experienced so much hype, has been so hard to get a reservation at, and carries such a hefty price tag, I expected *way* better food. I would give the food 2 stars if you factor in value. They do make a good sazerac (if it were a smidge less sweet, I would say it's great), a really unique and delicious manhattan, and good punch specials. I'll definitely have to try a Boulevardier or Vieux Carré the next time I'm here! I think the drinks, atmosphere, and service are good and I would for sure come back for just the bar.Special Features:
- Great Experience All AroundpghfoodieDined on 8/5/2014We took our friends from Germany, along with another couple to Butcher on Tuesday night and this was my 3rd time there. We had reservations for 6 of us at 7pm and when we arrived, the prior guests occupying our table were just finishing up so we hung out at the bar and had drinks. Our table ended up not being ready for another 50-60 minutes because they lingered and the restaurant did not want to ask them to leave. the manager comped us 3 appetizers to share at the bar while we were waiting, which i thought that was a very nice gesture and we were able to start dinner at the bar. the space is great and the front room was great for people watching. the food was awesome. Great experience all around!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The decor was beautiful. The food was amazing. Our table shared the pig candy and sunday gravy. Both were absolutely amazing. Everyone at the table enjoyed their main dishes as well. I, personally, had the walleye, which was great. I also tried bites of the scallops and shepard's pie. The scallops were absolutely fantastic, and the beef in the shepard's pie melted in your mouth. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic drinks and food!HawkinsDined on 7/30/2014Yummy. Had the bone marrow at the upstairs bar. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Had a fabulous bourbon drink and the food was incredible. Only drawback was being offered additional bread to which I said "yes, but just 1" - got 4 and was charged a dollar. Really? Other than that it was an incredible meal! I'll be back!Special Features:
- Butcher and The RyeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2014The food and the service was amazing, this was our 1st visit. The seating was cramped if I go again I will need to ask to be seated somewhere except this back wall. They should probably remove one table too close for comfort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most happening spot DowntownBizdinerVIPDined on 7/29/2014Butcher is definitely the place to be in Pittsburgh. It's always busy. It took me 3 weeks in advance to get a reservation. The bar area is great. Very vibrant with lots of good looking, well dressed, professional people. The menu is different and I wasn't all that turned on by the entrees that they offered. We instead went with a bunch of small plates. We had the Brussels, which were great. the pig face was very good, rich, salty but has to be shared. The mussels were under done and kind of mushy. The peppers were really tasty and not spicy at all which surprised me. Overall the food was above average but not great. The experience was very good though which is why I gave it 4 stars. I enjoy going to this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceKarenVIPDined on 7/29/2014Unique cocktails, fun atmosphere, tasty food. I recommend the seared scallops.Special Features:
- Some of the best food I've eatenDCFoodieDined on 7/26/2014I moved to DC about a year and a half ago and nothing in Pittsburgh really compared to the flavors I met while dining in DC until Butcher and The Rye. This place was truly amazing. We tried a few small plates, the cheese board, and between 5 of us we split 3 large plates. The brussel sprouts were probably the best I've ever eaten and the pig wing was to die for. The steak melted in your mouth and the butcher burger was tender and seasoned perfectly. The cocktails were wonderfully crafted creating interesting concoctions. The witch doctor was my personal favorite. Make a reservation ASAP! This is exactly what Pittsburgh needs to revamp it's nightlife! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Amazing food! Best dishes of the night were the pig candy, beef tartare, edamame and the scallops with crab risotto. Will definitely be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambience, Poor FoodLadiesNumDined on 7/25/2014I really wanted to love this place. I excitedly made reservations 1.5 weeks out and we got all dolled up to go on our date night. I loved the ambience and was excited for this whole experience. The food was so disappointing. Wasn't prepared well. The red beets on my salad weren't cooked and there was a blob of dressing in the middle (wasn't evenly spread and too citrusy not to be), the steak was very chewy I couldn't even eat it. Pretty disappointing for all the hype.
- I get it, but it doesn't work.sleighDined on 7/25/2014I understand the theory behind Butcher and the Rye: use strong flavors so nothing will taste bland. However, the flavors are so strong that they actually overpower the taste of the food. The actual pure goodness of something like pork belly or cauliflower is completely lost in a sea of spices. It overwhelms instead of entices. In addition, although Butcher prices itself in the fine-dining range, the service is so-so. It lacks the actual personal, warm experience I've found in truly excellent restaurants. Butcher isn't awful, it's okay. I never need to go back.
- Before Show DinnerMishaDined on 7/24/2014My husband and I had a gift card for Butcher and The Rye so we decided to give it a try. The food was wonderful - full of flavor and exactly what I expected. I had chicken and it was moist, tender, and seasoned to perfection. The only downside was how close the table are to each other. The couple seated next to us including a naturally loud talker that detracted from the experience a bit. However, the decor and service was very pleasing. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014My husband and I are both foodies, so I have been dying to finally get a reservation for a weekend - and we did this past Friday - to celebrate our birthdays that had been that week. We were so excited! The service was great, the appetizers - great. The drinks - great. My husband's meal - the rabbit pappardelle - great. I was disappointed with my Waygu - because it was just too salty... but it was a solid experience overall and we'd definitely go back.Special Features: