Butcher & the Boar
1121 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Butcher & the Boar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.butcherandtheboar.com/
- Phone: 6122388888x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
Beer Garden: 4pm - Close (daily)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Peter Botcher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have live music, tapping and other events in our Beer Garden on occasion. Check Butcherandtheboar.com for the latest.
- Special Events: Call for details.
A word from Butcher & the Boar
American craft food, beer, and bourbonContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Butcher & the Boar - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Butcher & the Boar reviews from OpenTable diners
374 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (272)special occasion (194)hot spot (184)great for outdoor dining (137)good for groups (131)vibrant bar scene (125)neighborhood gem (77)romantic (51)notable wine list (46)late-night find (45)great for lunch (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014Crusted Salmon was great. Boar tails were overdone. Drinks were generous and service was top notch.Special Features:
- SO delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014I went here on a Sunday after an Orpheum show with a group of six women. We are from outside the cities and don't often go out in MPLS so this was a "big day out", ha! We were seated right away, our server was so kind in explaining the specialties, making suggestions, and even trading out a drink my friend didn't care for. We all shared (at server's suggestion) beef ribs, pork chop (even meat hater liked it), lobster sandwich, cauliflower, broccoli, mashed potatoes, & fried green tomatoes (the BEST - even veggie hater liked it). Everything was uniquely prepared and flavorful but not "weird" for the regular non-foodie people. Was delicious! Would love to go again! Ended up being $30-40/person depending on drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014My husband turned 65 and I don't know about you, but I think that's special! Our dinner at the Butcher and the Boar was just perfect. Great food, ambiance and especially service. We will be back. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AhhmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I had heard great things but wow.. the taste and flavor blew us away. Such unique combinations and interesting options. We absolutely loved it! Butcher & the Boar seriously now sits at #1 on my favorite restaurant list.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACENpooleDined on 10/18/2014Always great food and atmosphere!! Best sausage on the planet, and I don't really like sausage. And the cornbread, i've had dreams about it!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014The food was extremely salty. We ordered the sausage sampler which consists of three sausages of various meat blends (wild boar, beef and pork)- the expectant taste of variety in the meats was met with SALT!! - so over powering that you could barely distinguish the taste of cheddar that was in one of the sausages(pork). When the server stopped by to ask "how is everything?" we commented on the saltiness of the sausages - sadly - he didn't seem overly concerned and presented the check without further discussion. The surf and turf dish (the surf part is tiny prawns) - was okay - but nothing you would come back for. We decided to try this restaurant thinking it was similar to the Purple Pig in Chicago…it's not.
- Great food, too hard to hear!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014First time dining at B&B. Menu very interesting. Server was fantastic. Very patiently described menu items until all 4 of us found something that sounded like it suited our palates. She definitely steered us right. Everyone enjoyed dinner. Steaks were done perfectly. I tried sausages--huge portions, but all delicious. I highly recommend the food and service, but as "seniors," it was VERY hard to carry on a conversation, even sitting on the outside edge of tables.Special Features:
- Great MealmjdineDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter made the suggestions for what my wife and I should share and it was excellent. Four courses, Plenty of food, come with an appetite. Service was very good. It was interesting watching the food preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tuffyDined on 10/17/2014Food was spectacular! Best dinner we've had at a downtown restaurant in years. We knew our service would be exceptional when our server took orders from memory and didn't miss a thing. We'd go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed the variety of meats and side dishes. Unlike any other restaurant in town. The noise level is a little annoying..makes you have to shout to be heard. But, other than that a completely satisfying experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!Yma906Dined on 10/11/2014Went here with my boyfriend who just moved to Minneapolis. We had a really good time. Would definitely go again! The food was great and the service was even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- triage1Dined on 10/9/2014Excellent pork chops and ribs. Great service. Large portions.Special Features:
- Meat AdventureadoffDined on 10/8/2014My boyfriend's 30th birthday wish was to try some weird meats, which... we did. It was a pricey meal but a special event-- and very delicious. I'm a first time foie gras eater, but I would classify it under "delectable, utlra rich, meat butter." I'd made a reservation and we got the table right inside the door (in the corner), which wasn't ideal for my first meal inside the actual restaurant, but not that big of a deal. I'd left my credit card there by mistake, and the staff was very accommodating about getting it back to me safely.Special Features:
- Lamb PattieJayaDined on 10/7/2014Out of this world.....the huge pork chop was good,too...turkey pate was interesting....will try the long beef rib next timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truffle oil issuesxxxxVIPDined on 10/6/2014I wanted to explain my low ratings for food and service. The arugula salad has truffle oil on it that is not mentioned on the menu. When it arrived I mentioned to the server that I am not fond of truffle oil. The salad turned out to be manageable for me but the server didn't bother to mention that there is also truffle oil in the mac & cheese which we had also ordered. A service fail. So, basically we didn't eat the mac & cheese. I didn't even bother saying anything else as clearly the server was not interested in providing a good dining experience. Also, I normally enjoy house-made sausages but found these to be exceptionally salty as were the brussel sprouts. The cocktails were great and the atmosphere is fun but this is not great dining.
- Poor Service resulted in bad nightTravelgirlVIPDined on 10/4/2014I wouldn't tell people not to go to the restaurant but I wouldn't recommend going if someone asked where to go. If a restaurant only has one chance to make a good first impression then our waitress completely blew it. We were treated as if the waitress was annoyed that she had to wait on us from the time she first came over, snooty was the best word we could come up with at the table.
- Great PlaceminreviewDined on 10/4/2014The food although very good is aimed for those who prefer meat to any type of seafood. The restaurant is quite noisy and certainly is not a place to go if you are looking for a romantic night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy foodcrystalh230Dined on 10/4/2014From sausages to ribs to pork thus place has great meat! Fried green tomatoes are also delicious! Known for its bourbon but also has good local draft beer selection. Downside is noise level is high. They do not do anything for birthdays so don't expect free dessert. I've has 2 desserts here and been disappointed with both so skip dessert and go somewhere else. Honey cake and s'mores were both not tasty.Special Features:
- Just SpectacularJeffieBDined on 10/3/2014The osters. The sausage. The lamb. The lobster. I could go on and wanted to try everything on the menu. The drink I got (diamond fizz) wasn't special but the food was just amazing. Recommend the lamb shank the potatoes and the cheddar sausage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantastic experiencefaemorpheusDined on 10/3/2014I brought my boyfriend here for his birthday, it was the first time for both of us. We were seating earlier than our scheduled time, which was awesome. The bourbon flights and the cheese plate were utterly delicious. Our main courses were brought out by what I assume was the front end manager and the kitchen manager. The food was top notch, no complaints at all. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Awesome food!likegreatfoodDined on 10/2/2014Awesome food and a great menu of items to choose from. Something for everyone. Loved the decor and the "private" outdoor eating area. It was fun watching the chefs hard at work too!Special Features:
- Rushed!Smk1Dined on 10/2/2014Food was excellent esp.The king crab special. The server was asking for our dinner order before our drinks arrived! He did not allow us to take a sip of cocktails before he was ON us again to order dinner and made a difficult situation when we wanted to order appetizers. He pushed for ordering all of our food at once and everyone was confused as to why we couldn't enjoy our drinks with appies and then order wine with dinner. I'm happy that Butcher & Boar is so busy but do no appreciate being rushed into ordering dinner. Unfortunate. 4 women, we were there approx. 1 1/2 hrs total. Approx. $300 tab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!ItalianoDined on 10/1/2014We had a great evening at Butcher & the Boar. Our server was very attentive and kind, but not overbearing. The drinks, food, and dessert were all delicious and beautifully prepared. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappoinedJAS0522Dined on 9/26/2014BB was highly recommended by several people we know. It certainly did not live up to the hype. The atmosphere was great and we would go for drinks. The food, however, was lack luster. The spareribs were very tough. The green sausage was just ok and the mashed potatoes tasted like they came from a box. The best part of the meal was the cornbread, 2 thumbs up.Special Features:
- Great experience, but loud!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014Awesome food, awesome service, but not the place to go if you're looking for a quiet dinner.Special Features:
- Carnivore's ParadiseRyanDined on 9/26/2014Butcher & the Boar was an excellent dining experience. The restaurant specializes in house made sausages and pickles, terrines, and features a vibrant bar. Portions are for sharing and ordering a few sides is recommended. I thought the lamb shank with pappardelle noodles was delicious and recommend the fried green tomatoes.Special Features:
- Great Birthday Spotbeka118Dined on 9/26/2014Definitely not somewhere I'd go on a regular basis just based on price, but felt like it was worth it. The food portions were massive and so glad we shared. It was a perfect special occasion place.Special Features:
- OutstandingkmacDined on 9/23/2014First time here and I loved it! The decor was stylish, food outstanding, service excellent. Great find!Special Features:
- Best steak place in MinneapolisjmefoodieDined on 9/23/2014Fantastic T-Bone steak (big enough for two!) Absolute must: side of red hot brussel sprouts. Devoured the whole plate! Service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Good food, loud placegrubDined on 9/21/2014Food was excellent, wine and beer selection were out of this world. The aviance? wasn't too good. It was very loud and very crowded. We made reservation for 4 but were seated at a table right next to a couple and it was hard to move around without bumping into each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 STAARMayorOfJerktownDined on 9/20/2014Excellent service, SUPERB food. The Oysters were like butter. Griddle cornbread, delish. Sausage sampler: Fiery, smokey, I am drooling thinking about it... Bourbon: Try some, every one's a winner! Haven't met any that I dislike yet. Many good, good beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lori Tierneylotie001Dined on 9/20/2014It was great to try "Butcher and the Boar". I have heard many good things about it. We celebrated my daughter's 23rd birthday! The menu offered a nice variety of special "meat" entree's and add on's! We tried many things and shared! We tried the wood grilled oysters, smoked beef long rib(it was spicy), chicken fried veal brains, Colorado lamb shank, lobster grilled cheese, market seafood-which was crab legs, grilled asparagus, fried green tomatoes, red hot brussel sprouts, fulton beer-battered fries and the wedge salad! Wow! It was a lot of food! No! we did not have room for dessert! Yes! We did have lots of left overs! I was happy to use Open Table and our 8:30pm reservation was later than we hoped, but we were happy to celebrate togetherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodYummmDined on 9/20/2014We just ate here for our anniversary and my husbands birthday and both our meals were literally fantastic! Worth the price to treat yourself once and a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingFirstTimerDined on 9/20/2014I don't even know where to begin. Butcher and the Boar was everything I'd heard about and much more. Went here with 8 guys for a bachelor party, and I think it was probably the highlight of the night. I won't bother saying what we all got - we ordered a variety of dishes from the menu, and the most common phrase was definitely "That's the best pork/sausage/steak I've ever had." Fantastic bourbon selection as well, can't go wrong trying some of their flights. I wouldn't go here for any old reason, it's pretty pricey and very much a place for special occasions in my mind. But I may have to make up a few more special occasions so I can go back more often!Special Features:
- Instant fantastic serviceWinedine9Dined on 9/19/2014From the moment we walked in the door, we loved the sights, sounds, and smells. The bar was busy but the bartender came out from behind the bar to get our drink order. We tried the stuffed jalapeños and they were amazing. We ordered the trout and meatballs. The flavors if each were so exquisitely combined!!!! We were too full for dessert but the options looked delicious! Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Except for our long rib. It was so salty as to almost be inedible. We ate it cause it was 44 bucks, but would never order it again. We both thought we'd go back but have the sausages, which looked really good.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service; loud...bluesfrogDined on 9/17/2014In-house smoked meats were superb, charcuterie platter was tasty and interesting with some great pairings, and the sides (we chose the Brussels and fried green tomatoes) were awesome. Large portions in the main, but our attentive server guided us though the menu well so we didn't overload and looked after us exceptionally all night. The place itself is impressive with lots of interesting features lurking in the semi-darkness and the roaring log fire in the kitchen adds to the ambience, but the noise level is out of control and we found ourselves shouting across the table just to hear each other. That rules it out as a romantic spot in future, but if you're looking for a lively, stylish and above all well-fed night out this is a winner.Special Features:
- Not amazing, overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014We ordered the sausage sampler and I personally tried the pork chop and spare ribs entrees. The sausage sampler was tasty but not worth the $30 it cost. As far as the entrees. I would go as far as saying I would have rather eaten at TGI Fridays or Outback. Both pieces of meat were extremely tough, lacked flavor, and extremely overpriced. I will not be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We went for our anniversary. Had a wonderful waitress who recommended items. We shared a app and entrée. Very tasty porkchop. Definitely enough for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual menu choicesDetailsByBillDined on 9/14/2014The offering were unique and well prepared. There was something for every taste and both my wife and I enjoyed every bite. The size of the crowd on a Sunday night proved that it was a keeper. We'll be back.Special Features: