Butcher & the Boar
1121 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Butcher & the Boar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.butcherandtheboar.com/
- Phone: 6122388888x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
Beer Garden: 3pm - Close (daily)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Beer Garden, American
- Executive Chef: Peter Botcher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have live music, tapping and other events in our Beer Garden on occasion. Check Butcherandtheboar.com for the latest.
- Special Events: Call for details.
A word from Butcher & the Boar
American craft food, beer, and bourbonContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Butcher & the Boar - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Butcher & the Boar reviews from OpenTable diners
377 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (269)special occasion (191)hot spot (174)great for outdoor dining (142)good for groups (125)vibrant bar scene (124)neighborhood gem (76)romantic (51)late-night find (46)notable wine list (40)great for lunch (11)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Eye CandyWkndCookDined on 8/31/2014This is a very busy and active place, there is a lot to watch: fellow diners, the servers (wearing jeans and sometimes sweatbands!), the grill/kitchen staff, etc. The noise level is high and you're seated fairly close to those around you. The decor is awesome. The outside seating, the beer garden, is quite a gem. The food was fantastic, everything we ordered was BIG. Loved the fried green tomatoes, and the Old Fashioned was powerful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarciaDined on 8/30/2014We felt lucky to get a reservation and it lived up to its reviews and awards.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Arrived early, had to wait in the bar. Food came and was a little undercooked for our taste/fatty.......would recommend something else other than the long rib unless you like rare fatty beef. Not a romantic setting at all.Special Features:
- Great service, decent experienceCassieVIPDined on 8/28/2014We were seated in the bar area at a small table even though we had a reservation for over a week. Don't get the green chorizo sausage- odd texture. The lobster grilled cheese was great! Overall, the experience would have been better if we had a table with more privacy for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Didn't live up to what I hoped for!BumbleDined on 8/27/2014Had hoped for a beer bar with great meat options but Butcher and Boar didn't really deliver. Local and selected beers on tap were fine but food was disappointing. Tried the wild boar sausage which was just OK but the wild boar head cheese was excellent. Not sure it was made on site but loved the thick slices and meaty texture. The double cut pork chop was highly recommended but ours was dry and incredibly tough....left without even eating half of it. Bar service was good, after waiting for our reservation for half hour we were seated......in the bar anyway! Noise level is off the charts!
- Business DinnernonicknameDined on 8/26/2014I brought clients to "the Butcher", convinced everyone that they are going to have a great experience - their expectations were exceeded. The great vegetables were a suprise and a delight.Special Features:
- Carnivore heavenMrsHDined on 8/26/2014From appetizers to desserts everything is unique and so flavor packed. Many items do get spicy, sauce can be ordered on the side. The beef long bone had perfect smoke flavor and nice bark. Fall off the bone tender. Ordered the Tabasco BBQ sauce on the side which was good as it did pack a kick! Side dishes are enough for 2 to share. Blueberry tart for dessert was delicate and not to heavy. Cocktails are the bomb! The whiskey sour was perfect, the whiskey was the star. Drinks are made with 3 ice cubes not a glass full of crushed ice. The only draw back as the restaurant fills up the noise level does increase making conversation somewhat difficult. Can't wait to return and try the T bone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014Underwhelmed. Food fair at best; service inattentive; noise level intolerable. Won't be back & won't recommend. This may be what the "hip" crowd wants, but it is certainly not for foodies who expect exceptionally good food and a noise level that allows for conversation!
- 85 degreesredmeatDined on 8/24/2014It was 85 and breezy outside, 85 and stuffy indoors. Our server was way off his game. For example, we ordered a white wine due to the heat, and he confirmed he would chill it for us. He poured, left it on the table, then must have remembered it 15 minutes later, because he snuck in from behind and whisked it away just as my glass neared empty. Our hot, spicy, and mostly delicious food was delivered, but we saw the waiter 2x the rest of the night. For the price, I could have used a little a/c and some service. Not sure if they will get a second chance.Special Features:
- Great food. Okay service.BanjoDined on 8/23/2014As far as the kitchen goes, place is outstanding. Food was cooked perfectly, and didn't have to wait long for it after it was ordered. The bar staff was also on point. The wait staff and hosts need some work. We made an 8:30pm reservation and showed up at 8:20. We were told that our table would be ready by the 8:30 reservation time, which is fine, so we elected to sit at the bar and have a cocktail while we waited. We were finally seated at 8:45, but were told that they only had patio available and inside seating would be another 10 minutes. Once we sat down we waited over 5 minutes for our server to say hi. The rest of the experience was delightful. Fair warning to newcomers, this place is very LOUD, inside and out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow if you love meatvisitingVIPDined on 8/23/2014If you love meat this is your place. Food is great. Service was good. Very loud and hard to have a conversation. Portions are huge. Fried green tomatoes were good. I had the ribs hubby had the long rib. He could not even finish. That never happens.Special Features:
- best dinner in minneapolis!!gertDined on 8/23/2014Ive been to alot of restaurants in minneapolis and the B and B was by far one of the best experiences! The long rib, foie gras, sausage sampler, and hotdog were all amazing. Cant wait to go back again and try some more great dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bit loud,will come backEelcoDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful crab legs, great wine (pinot grigio), and a nicely executed special of the day: 22oz t-bone. The Brussels sprouts didn't need to be fried, in our opinion, and it is a bit loud inside - but all and all a nice food experience with great service. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meat lovers dreamMartinDined on 8/22/2014Generous cuts of meat done in an inventive way. Sit outside if you can. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud!NeighDined on 8/20/2014Loud in the restaurant. My boyfriend and I were shouting across the table the whole night to hear one another. Could have prevented that by sitting outside but it was a hot muggy night. Tables were placed only a few inches from one another and if you were a couple you had to sit across from one another with neighbors right on top of you on either side. Maytag salad was excellent as well as the huge baked sweet potato that had a carmelized skin. Sausage sampler were 3 huge sausages, one with cheese from WI was quite fatty and not to our taste. Pork chops and ribs hung off the plate. If looking for high quality food, high in saturated fats, and huge portions, this is the place for you.Special Features:
- A meat lover's dreamHussDined on 8/19/2014First time here, with a group from work. Everything, drinks, apps, dinner, dessert was outstanding. Might not come with a large group again as the noise level made table conversation prohibitive. Our server had several recommendations and all were excellent - especially recommend the pork chops with peaches. I am still dreaming about them.Special Features:
- Memorable mealdiner22Dined on 8/17/2014We took my out-of-town in-laws here for dinner and they couldn't stop raving! The food was amazing. Each dish hit the mark, most notably the smoked beef rib. From the wine to the appetizers to the desserts our expectations were exceeded. We will be back.Special Features:
- Meat and bourbon!gregDined on 8/17/2014As the name implies, this is a meat place, and an excellent one. A 22oz pork chop done to perfection with a fine bourbon and peach glaze. Needless to say, I took a lot home. The bourbon list is extensive and the bartender knows how to mix great drinks. Can't speak to the beer list as I stopped at the bourbons, but I suspect it too is very good. They had very tempting fish dishes on the menu. Must returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEAT CITYOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Hoped to get outdoor table but only room indoors. Tables very close to one another; could almost touch food at table right next to us. Extremely loud. Hard to converse with person at your own table. I would call this restaurant THE MOST UNHEALTHY place I have eaten in the twin cities. Large portions of oversalted, overseasoned meats. Ribs with mega barbecue sauce. Worst appetizer ever-smoked olives-felt like I was eating smoke. One and done at this place. Is there anything remotely healthy to eat here?? .
- ReviewNicknameDined on 8/15/2014Overall we were not real pleased with the food. Started out good with the grilled oysters and then the salad and both were good. My wife and I had the long ribs and our daughter had the lobster sandwich. Didn't taste the sandwich but my daughter said it was good. The long ribs were to saucy and to spicy. The meat was cooked well, good and tender, but couldn't really taste it because it was overpowered by the sauce and spice. The menu was lacking in selection and variety and the food is definitely over priced.
- Great place for meat lovers!LacsiDined on 8/14/2014From their charcuterie to their main dishes, your mouth will water with the fascinating flavors that the chef has produced. Every bite seems to be an adventure, specially if you take the sample cuts as an appetizer - it's good enough for two! The side dishes are also excellent. They have grown up mac and cheese and the cornbread is on a small square skillet. You can't go wrong with any of your choices. A good place to eat. Beware though, the noise level can be loud during busy time. So not a good place for a first date but a great place if you enjoy food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meat and beer!MMmmDined on 8/14/2014Beer list amazing and all of the meat dishes very good. Really enjoyed the sausage sampler. Vegetable preparation ranged from ok to terrible. Cole slaw with sampler was great! Cauliflower and brussel sprouts pretty awful and extremely over priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time customerKevinDined on 8/13/2014Great menu options. I chose the 20oz Pork Chop and it was delicious. Plenty of meat to share - too much for one person. We also had the Marlin (very good) and peanut butter stuffed jalapenos. It sounds weird, but if you like jalapenos, they are super good. It works. Fried green tomatoes were very good too. Atmosphere was energetic - fun. We went on a Wednesday night, later in the evening.Special Features:
- Too noisy for conversation2manyeateriesDined on 8/13/2014Dined inside on a Wednesday evening, party of four. Food very good, especially the spare ribs (enough for two) and pork cheddar sausage, as well as several of the sides. Excellent if pricey beverage program. But the noise level was painful, and we were on the quiet side of the room! If you want to talk, reserve a table outside.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!2atelikepigsDined on 8/13/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening meal at Butcher and the Boar. The waitress was so informative and the meal and atmosphere were perfect. It was romantic and relaxing.We had the double pork chop to share and it melted in our mouth. We also had the sampler appetizer and we tried many things that we had never eaten before ie. wild boar:)- it was all delicious. The asparagus with yogurt mint sauce also had sliced radishes on the platter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pricey and uniqueSausageDined on 8/12/2014Really enjoyed the first trip to Butcher & the Boar when we ordered sausage and sat in the bar. This, our second trip, we ventured beyond the casings to steak and spaghetti. Steak was great – a fine t bone cut, seasonings delicious. However very pricey at over $40 so expected perfection. Spaghetti was odd – a Thai dish and not at all like Italian food. We were cautioned by our server but tried it anyway. Disappointed but didn't complain. By the time we were done eating the restaurant was so lively and loud, our instinct was to head out.Special Features:
- GkrkGKRKVIPDined on 8/10/2014We were disappointed. The portions were large, but the spices and sauces overwhelmed the taste of the meat. If you are a meat lover, we would not recommend this restaurant. The waitress was excellent, but the hostess refused to call a taxi for us even though we had forgotten our phone and had a card with the number of the taxi we wanted. Having spent well over $100 for dinner, you would have thought that calling a cab was the least they could have done.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Very good food, the pork chop, Texas hot link and fried green tomatoes were wonderful. Our server recommended sharing as the portions were very generous, and we were glad we did! Love the valet parking,too.Special Features:
- Amazing meat!IOSBORNEDined on 8/8/2014I was amazed at the taste of the pork ribs with a sweet chili sauce. The ribs were succulent, juicy and tender. On tap I was elated to see Surly Cacao Bender!!!! Wow.Special Features:
- Busy scene but enjoyable foodeaton075Dined on 8/7/2014The food was great, the staff was great, but the level of foot traffic around you and the too small 'table for two' took away from the ambiance. Rather than hang out and enjoy the mountain of fabulous food on our tiny table, we actually took a lot home in the doggy bag.Special Features:
- Adequate+xullyDined on 8/7/2014The food was excellent, we sought out new items (to us) and were very well pleased. We came early on a Fri. night with theater tickets in hand. The gracious/intelligent server, became almost unreachable, as the crowd size and the noise increased. The difficulty in getting the server's attention and the server's difficulty in extracting menu items from the "kitchen" left us deciding that we had to go after two hours and cancel the as-yet-undelivered dessert. A pity for us and for the Butcher & the Boar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy choicelongbonemanDined on 8/5/2014Great flavors with our menu choices. Perfect room setting for our group. Spendy....but. overall worth it....especially for. Those special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/5/2014The food is fabulous! Service was exceptional...very attentive. The noise level is very high, but the food makes up for that negative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014Delicious food, huge portions, creative menu, trendy ambiance. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Very Negativegoodfoodaddict2Dined on 8/4/2014One of the reasons I dine out--besides good food, is friends if I am with friends we want to talk and visit . . . IMPOSSIBLE! The noise level was way beyond "Energetic" -- acoustics are just about the worst ever experience--cannot be blamed on a lot of people being jubilant! Lot could be done to suck up the sound. Also, tables so close together adds to the noise level. Besides, everyone has to shout to be heard (including the wait staff), so level is going to be unbearable. The food, service, ambience great! I'd love to go back, but will think before deciding doing so--other good restaurants downtown (and I live downtown). Tempted to go somewhere else because of noise problem. That would be too bad, since I really liked it otherwise.Special Features:
- I'll come backdowntowndinerDined on 8/3/2014Brought a party of 4 and had a reservation on a Sunday night. Place was full and vibrant and we were seated quickly. Had a very knowledgable and wonderful server. Tried many things on the menu and they were all fantastic. I'll be back to try more items on the menu for sure! The overall ambiance was a rough for my taste, but didn't detract from the overall experience.Special Features:
- Great meats...GretchenDined on 8/3/2014We enjoyed our meals, but the waiter recommended THE most expensive items on the menu for appetizers, mains, and small plates. The spare ribs were suitable for sharing because the portion was so large. While we enjoyed the sausage appetizer, $31.00 for 3 links doesn't represent good value to us; the asparagus side was 4, yes 4 spears of asparagus for $9.00. It was a great meal, but certainly not everyday for us because of the value. Service was fine, but we never were offered a chance to order a second round of drinks to go with our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good TimeLilMissPickyDined on 8/2/2014We ended up having friends join us for dinner and they had no problem adjusting our reservation. After a short wait in the beer garden (and dealing with a surly waitress) we were seated on the patio. Instead of ordering our own dishes we chose to share multiple dishes and they were very accommodating with this request. Everyone had a great time and it was well worth the hefty check at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FOOD EVENT !!!KeithMplsDined on 8/2/2014We planned a dinner for 8 to celebrate my wife's birthday and it was amazing. The food, the atmosphere and particularly the service was AMAZING. Our server was great from the opening drinks all the way through the end of splitting our check 4 ways between the couples to a level of specificity that was simply the best we could've asked for (even though we just asked to "split it"). Then, there was the FOOD... one of the best meals we've each ever had... appetizers, entrees, sides... ALL amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as usual!AThousandYearsDined on 8/2/2014I've eaten at Butcher and the Boar maybe 6 or 7 times and my last experience was just as great as all the others. Yes, the restaurant is noisy, however the food is AMAZING!!! Don't be scared of the prices....most of the entrees are huge and can easily be split or shared. The pork chop, ribs, and stuffed jalapenos are the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.