Butcher & the Boar
1121 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Butcher & the Boar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.butcherandtheboar.com/
- Phone: (612) 238-8888
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
Beer Garden: 4pm - Close (daily)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Peter Botcher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have live music, tapping and other events in our Beer Garden on occasion. Check Butcherandtheboar.com for the latest.
- Special Events: Call for details.
A word from Butcher & the Boar
American craft food, beer, and bourbonContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Butcher & the Boar - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Butcher & the Boar reviews from OpenTable diners
375 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (281)special occasion (197)hot spot (194)good for groups (144)vibrant bar scene (111)great for outdoor dining (94)neighborhood gem (74)romantic (45)notable wine list (45)late-night find (40)great for lunch (8)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- good food but too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014Love how everything was from the service right away at the bar, to the food. It was just hard to be able to have a conversation with my wife. It was really loud, could barely hear the waitress even.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyDined on 11/21/2014Really enjoyed our night. Service and food were very good. Loved the sauage platter. Enjoed after-dinner drinks in the beer garden.Special Features:
- This is one of my all time favorite restaurants.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014the food and prices are high but well worth it. This is the best meat restaurant in town, and do. OT leave without getting the cornbread, which comes in a metal pan with some bewitching sauce to spread on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRec3Dined on 11/15/2014Made reservation 3 weeks ahead of time. Saw Garth Brooks concert and wanted to go somewhere interesting and special to top off the evening. We did not even get seated in the dinning room. We were seated in the bar near the server stand and right in front of the door to outside. Every time the door opened we would be freezing. Food was good and server was very good but the night was spoiled due to our seating location. You would have thought having made a reservation 3 weeks in advance that we deserved better than the table by the door next to the server station in the bar. Disappointed.
- Always delicious.kgswDined on 11/15/2014Their food is great. Their staff is super nice. Just go. You probably won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for allfoodiewannabeDined on 11/12/2014A fun place to eat. I felt as if all servers were there to help you have the best experience possible. I felt that our table was the most important. Our food came out in a reasonable amount of time for the number of patrons at the restaurant. Our food was served on hot plates and was described as it was set onto the table. Our server came back often to fill water and to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. The atmosphere was energetic the noise level was a bit high. Would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinnerBubblesDined on 11/11/2014We four had a reservation for an early dinner but one of the group was delayed at work. The three of us arrived on time and our waitress had no problem accommodating our situation; the other waitstaff were also attentive. While we waited the restaurant filled completely but our water glasses were never empty and we were well attended. When our fourth arrived our meal orders were soon taken and when the food arrived there was no conversation as all enjoyed the entrees and sides. This trip we all (except for the king crab leg special) planned ahead and saved some of the entree to leave room to try dessert; the cinnamon apple/vanilla ice cream/mini-donut concoction was perfect. It was a great diner and a great night out.Special Features:
- meat meat meatdeliciousnessDined on 11/10/2014Delicious food with a good variety of menu choices. We waited a little bit for our food but enjoyed the drinks and energetic atmosphere. We have been here once before with a big group and was a lot of fun! Great spot for sharing foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyCrustoldguyDined on 11/9/2014Food is excellent as was the service. Pork chop was the highlight followed by the sausages. Sides are quite tasty- a little heavy on the vinegars though. Long rib actually better as leftovers. Noise level is problematic preventing anything but a shouted conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Huge PortionsCCdinesoutDined on 11/8/2014We got an early reservation as other reviews indicated the restaurant was loud. While the noise level was reasonable when we arrived it only got louder as the evening progressed which make it hard to have a conversation. The arugula salad which we split had great flavor. We had the salmon and pork ribs for entrees along with mashed potatoes and caramelized broccoli as a side. The sauce on the broccoli was runny and not caramelized, the potatoes good, the salmon reasonably sized but the ribs portion was huge. The waitress did let us know that the portions were large so we planned for that. The service was slow and the restaurant was busy but not full. Overall we had a very good meal but probably will not return due to the noise level.Special Features:
- Exceeded ExpectationsSprindle1Dined on 11/7/2014Couldn't have asked for a better evening. We were celebrating a friend of ours being 10 years cancer free!!! and Butcher and the Boar totally accommodated us with a few special requests for the evening. From the moment we walked in, everyone from the host and hostess at the entrance, to the bussing staff was welcoming and friendly. The food was amazing as usual, but we I have to give a big shout out to our AMAZING server Chris who did an outstanding job. She put up with our loud crazy group and recommended some outstanding food choices like the stuffed jalapenos, brussel sprouts and fried green tomatoes. The restaurant was packed (as usual) but Chris made us feel like we were the only people in the place she is a gem to have on the serving staff!!! Thank you to everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/7/2014in from out of town, this was one of the best dinners i've ever had. thanks, butcher & the boar!Special Features:
- Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2014Love this restaurant, sausage plate is always great.Special Features:
- Excellent steaks, extremely loud.nannerDined on 11/4/2014The steak was incredible, although a couple people in our group were looking for a lighter dinner and soup isn't on the menu. It is so loud, between the kitchen noise, the loud conversations and the music pumping having a conversation with the person across the table or next to you was impossible. If you going for an awesome steak this is your place, we were celebrating a birthday and felt a bit disappointed we couldn't have any conversation.
- Ok food, overpriced.MyViewDined on 11/4/2014Tables are very close together. Felt like I was sitting at the same table as the one next to me. Food was good, but thought it was over priced for what you received. Service was slower than what I would expect. I don't think I would choose to go back unless someone else was buying then I would consider it.
- Best in the citiesLaurenVIPDined on 11/3/2014Consistently superb. By far the best and most genuine restaurant in Minneapolis. All the employees have so much passion for their restaurant and it really comes across in the vibrant food and wonderful service. Been there countless times (restaurant and beer garden - which is also fantastic for a quick, less expensive meal) and it continues to impress me each time. Can't wait for them to tap into their Sociable Cider Werks kegs too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining mustfromStPaulDined on 11/2/2014All the food is excellent. The service excellent. It may be a bit loud but then you can't hear others' conversations.Special Features:
- Meat ComaJROLVIPDined on 11/1/2014The menu makes this place look expensive until you realize the portions are better to share family style. A pork chop that is almost a pork roast. 6 of us ordered 3 entrees and some sides and it was plenty. The long rib is Flintstone size and not to be missed. It's a loud restaurant but not as bad as some. Only negatives about B&B are the tables for 2 are too small once food arrives, and it's typical to wait past your reservation to be seated. Not a place for vegetarians.Special Features:
- Way too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Could not enjoy dinner, could not relax or converse. We,ve complained about noise before. This time called a month in advance for a reservation at a quiet table, but upon arrival were told they don't have any. Food was ok, prices have gone up. But the noise prevents us from returning.
- Great food; way too loudpianophileDined on 11/1/2014I have no complaints about the food. The noise level and overcrowded tables may keep me away, though. Maybe I'll check out the patio when the weather warms up again.Special Features:
- Somewhat pricey but very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our group of 4 was seated promptly at the time of our reservation. Note: it was oddthat we weren't seated earlier, as the table we ended up at was 3 feet from where we were standing in the bar, supposedly waiting to open up - it was open the entire time. Our waitress vanished for about 10 minutes after we were seated. Yes, it was busy, but....could have been better. After that she did a nice job. Appetizers were all excellent. Entrees were excellent to very good. My friend was a bit unhappy with his long bone ribs because they had a lot of fat on them. I had the same entree and thought mine was fine - some fat, but not excessive. Our wives had the lobster sandwich and raved over it. Overall, a good experience.Special Features:
- Worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2014I've been here twice now and the food is so delicious!! It's a bit on the pricey side, but absolutely worth it. Cut back on the beverages and get items to share amongst the group if you're on a budget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingkmacDined on 10/31/2014Love the food, smoked, presentation fabulous. I took a seasoned foodie friend from CO visiting and he was thoroughly impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb & Brocolli FailureLuv2eat02Dined on 10/30/2014The sauces of both the lamb and the brocolli side dishes where underwhelming. The sauce for the lamb smothered the dish, bland and watery. Samething for the side of brocoli, which was served luke warm. The pita bread that came with the lamb was soggy and cold. The dessert was a disappointment as we'll. Ordered the the apple sunday. Took a while to arrive, longer than the appetizers and main entree. The doughnuts were cold and tough and the cinnamon on the ice cream was on overload. Enjoyed the Wild Boar Sausage. Loved its presentation and the various heats going for it. Liked the blood sausage pierogi as we'll. Appreciated the waitress for alerting my wife and me that some of the dishes run big.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Food was good, but average, atmosphere, loud, happy, bustling. Not a romantic spot, good for groups of men.Special Features:
- Never disappoints. Come hungry!TleviVIPDined on 10/29/2014The food at Butcher and the Boar is always fabulous and memorable. My favorite item on your menu was actually the warm olives - it seems like the recipe changed a little bit - overly tart and not warm anymore? I don't really care for sausage, but there are plenty of non-sausage items that are interesting and always perfectly prepared. I don't think your portions need to be so large - my husband and I shared the sweet potato as a side dish and shared a pork chop and we couldn't even eat half of it. So huge. I also wish you would add maybe one more Rose option to your wine list -Special Features:
- Always GreatDGH1Dined on 10/28/2014We have been here 4 times. Each time was a treat. This time, Chris, our server, was especially nice. Food was great. We like everything but the oysters and sausages were REALLY great.Special Features:
- Great meal!JenWDined on 10/27/2014We had a great meal at Butcher & the Boar. I have a medical need to eat gluten free, and our server ensured that I received a safe, delicious meal. I highly recommend the wild boar ham!Special Features:
- AKA The Salt LickBenVivantDined on 10/26/2014Unctuous and salty prepared meats did not need the unctuous and salty vegetables that accompanied them. We had an assortment of sausages: the Texas hot link was delicious with just enough heat; the wild boar sausage tasted like . . . Salt. The Chinese duck sausage was overpowered by the gooey hoisin sauce and the turnip cake it sat on was cold and seemed to have had all the flavor cooked out of it. The cedar planked mushrooms which might have offered a nice complement to the fatty, salty meats were flavorless and cold. Very disappointing.Special Features:
- cwt21Dined on 10/26/2014Definitely a place to go if you enjoy great bourbon and meaty dishes. Our food was incredible - our overall experience was great! Lots of fun and great for special occasions.Special Features:
- Come away smelling like smokeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014The service was great, but the atmosphere in the restaurant was smoky from the kitchen--they need much better ventilation. I came away smelling like the smoker, and it was irritating my eyes and nose while eating. The food was fine, but in my view was not worth the relatively high prices. I don't think we'll be coming back.
- Excellent food and experienceStephVIPDined on 10/25/2014While not our first time dining at Butcher and the Boar by a longshot, we took my dad from out of town here to celebrate his 60th birthday. As a man with a weak spot for bourbon and meat, he left absolutely amazed by everything we had. From the turkey braunschweiger to the smoked long rib, everything was spot on.Special Features:
- It's All GoodGregorDined on 10/25/2014We had a great meal starting with smoked olives, corn bread, carmalized broccoli and two great mains. Steak or fish, they both were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StanDined on 10/22/2014Unique and excellent food and drink choices. Excellent, efficient service. Reasonably priced for the high quality.Special Features:
- YesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014If you're thinking about going to this place, do it. It is just absolutely outstanding. From the moment we walked in, we were impressed. The food was not only good, it was perfect and the service was to die for. Do it, spend the money, get the Long Rib and mussels. Just friggin do it.Special Features:
- Great if "In the Know"HodgesVIPDined on 10/21/2014We learned some things by virtue of going. Make a reservation. If you want to sit at the bar, there's a reservation for that as well. Given all the dining options in Minneapolis, I might not rush back but make no mistake, everything we ordered was excellent and we had a great server. The red hot Brussels sprouts might change your life. The blood sausage pierogi(s) and skillet cornbread also excellent. We would have tried many more dishes but would have had to roll back to the hotel so when you go have a hearty appetite as you will be satisfied! Take into account the size of your party, time/day you plan to go etc. and pre-plan and it will be smooth sailing. Extensive spirits selection and I even drank beer (never happens) and loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner for twoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Table for two in bar area. Cozy but a little awkward for my 5'4" wife. The table was too tall for her sitting on the couch. Noise level was high. Oysters for an as a starter were fresh and light. My wife had the Lamb shank and it was excellent. As it was our first visit I had the boar sausage. I will say it was good but now that it is checked off my list I will try something else next time. The sweet corn bread and sweet potato went well with our meal. The service was good. Overall a good meal, a little expensive considering the negatives of seating and noise. I walked through the dining room and found that a little tight too. Although fitting with their theme I judged it to be a little more about how many chairs would fit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestMinneSooTaDined on 10/21/2014One of the best spots in the city. I bring all of my favorite people here. It is my favorite in the city. Meat lovers paradise. Great drinks too.Special Features:
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014Crusted Salmon was great. Boar tails were overdone. Drinks were generous and service was top notch.Special Features:
- SO delicious!SmalltownMNDined on 10/19/2014I went here on a Sunday after an Orpheum show with a group of six women. We are from outside the cities and don't often go out in MPLS so this was a "big day out", ha! We were seated right away, our server was so kind in explaining the specialties, making suggestions, and even trading out a drink my friend didn't care for. We all shared (at server's suggestion) beef ribs, pork chop (even meat hater liked it), lobster sandwich, cauliflower, broccoli, mashed potatoes, & fried green tomatoes (the BEST - even veggie hater liked it). Everything was uniquely prepared and flavorful but not "weird" for the regular non-foodie people. Was delicious! Would love to go again! Ended up being $30-40/person depending on drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.