Butcher & the Boar
1121 Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55403Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Butcher & the Boar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.butcherandtheboar.com/
- Phone: 6122388888x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
Beer Garden: 3pm - Close (daily)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Beer Garden, American
- Executive Chef: Peter Botcher
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We have live music, tapping and other events in our Beer Garden on occasion. Check Butcherandtheboar.com for the latest.
- Special Events: Call for details.
A word from Butcher & the Boar
American craft food, beer, and bourbonContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Butcher & the Boar - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Butcher & the Boar reviews from OpenTable diners
382 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (274)special occasion (196)hot spot (180)great for outdoor dining (156)good for groups (131)vibrant bar scene (127)neighborhood gem (76)romantic (51)late-night find (43)notable wine list (40)scenic view (9)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We went for our anniversary. Had a wonderful waitress who recommended items. We shared a app and entrée. Very tasty porkchop. Definitely enough for 2.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual menu choicesDetailsByBillDined on 9/14/2014The offering were unique and well prepared. There was something for every taste and both my wife and I enjoyed every bite. The size of the crowd on a Sunday night proved that it was a keeper. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Amazing food.Krh82Dined on 9/13/2014New favorite restaurant! Best tasting food I've ever had, everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014Not for the vegetarians. Great for meat hungry lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Been here many times. Great food. Never a bad time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bourbons! Bourbons! Bourbons!MMMmmm2014Dined on 9/9/2014I took three colleagues there on a Tuesday night and the ambiance was abundant and vibrant! Two guests are bourbon fans and were very impressed at the selection and the bartenders knowledge. Service was great and not pushy. In fact, we were there for 3 hours eating our way through the menu. Highly recommend the Smoked Olive appetizer, the Long Rib (cooked perfectly), and the Mac N Cheese side dish... ooh i can still taste the truffles. I will be back most definitely.Special Features:
- Cooked to PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014One of the best restaurants where our meat has been cooked to perfection!!Special Features:
- Amazing meat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2014The long rib is to die for. Split it and pair with a couple of sides for a fantastic upscale BBQ meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for groups not for a dateKmnsDined on 9/8/2014Very very very loud. However, despite the tables being spaced so close together I couldn't hear most of the conversations of the two tables we were sandwiched between. Our server was very sweet and made excellent recommendations. At times difficult to hear her voice with how loud it was inside. Our food was really good. My husband loved the beef long rib entree - we should have shared it because it was so much food! Sweet potato was awesome. We would come again but next time with a group to share the courses on the patio. Thanks for the delicious mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeBrittanyPDined on 9/6/2014I took my 85 year old grandma, and 94 year old grandpa here for their 64th anniversary and even at their age they loved it! Food was amazing, and the drinks were delicious. They completely. enjoyed themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UndecidedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014I have hear such great things about this restaurant. Indeed we had great service and some remarkable appetizers. They have an interesting ambiance and a good energy. However, my T-bone steak was barely edible. I would normally return such a steak with the first bite but was distracted by an external problem that was occurring that had nothing to do with the restaurant. I'm inclined to try going there again but refrain from recommending anyone quite yet.Special Features:
- Great placeMarchilgert12Dined on 9/5/2014Went out for my girlfriends birthday. Fantastic food, service was great! Speedy! Had the beef rib and she had the ribeye. Both cooked perfectly. Drinks were fantastic also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't let prices fool you...Ludo11Dined on 9/5/2014We had looked at the menu before, but this was our first time actually eating here. If you are like we were and have only looked at the menu, you should know the prices are a bit misleading. While the prices may seem higher than your average restaurant (comparable to top tier steak restaurants), the portion sizes are huge. When you take into consideration the portion sizes, the prices are very fair. Next time, we are coming back with a group, because this place is perfect for family-style sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- avarchDined on 9/4/2014The food was very good. Appetizers were Turkey Braunschweiger, Wild Boar Head Cheese, and Berkshire Pork & Cheddar sausage. For the main course we shared Berkshire Pork Spare Ribs, Double Cut Smoked Pork Chop and the Smoked Beef Long Rib. Sides were Taleggio Pancetta Mac & Cheese, Caramelized Broccoli and Fried Green Tomatoes (outstanding). Deserts were ok. Drinks were excellent but very expensive. Our server was on top of things, very good. The noise indicated everyone was having a very good time which speaks for itself, but we just couldn't talk to each other (group of 6) without raised voices because of the ambient noise- too much for us. We were seated 4 feet from the cooking station which was fun watching but contributed to the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingTheSaltySeamanDined on 9/3/2014The food was a little pricey but was incredible, the fried green tomatoes app was fantastic, the sausage was amazing, and there is a lobster grilled cheese sandwich which I don't feel like I even need to explain. There is a great tap list if you're a beer drinker and an extensive whiskey menu. It was a little dark but the ambience was good and the staff was very helpful and friendly and the service was surprisingly quick. Glad I took the time out of my short vacation to visit Buthcer and the Boar.Special Features:
- OutstandingKimberlyHDined on 9/3/2014I knew it would be great and my expectations were high…they were exceeded! Delicious beyond words you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before BOMPeggtDined on 9/3/2014Had a nice early dinner- loved the halibut. Staff was friendly and next time would try outdoors and some other menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome food and bourbon menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2014great option for the carnivores looking for an alternative to a stuck-up steak house. I've tried most of the dishes on the menu and loved them all, including the sides and deserts! fantastic bourbon list!!!Special Features:
- Excellent Food!RandiLandDined on 9/2/2014The food was amazing and the service was wonderful. If you love asparagus, get the side order!! The only thing I would recommend is that they provide some images of their food as the menu doesn't really explain what you're getting and I had to ask the waitress to describe what things were. She was extremely knowledgeable and patient.Special Features:
- Eye CandyWkndCookDined on 8/31/2014This is a very busy and active place, there is a lot to watch: fellow diners, the servers (wearing jeans and sometimes sweatbands!), the grill/kitchen staff, etc. The noise level is high and you're seated fairly close to those around you. The decor is awesome. The outside seating, the beer garden, is quite a gem. The food was fantastic, everything we ordered was BIG. Loved the fried green tomatoes, and the Old Fashioned was powerful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarciaDined on 8/30/2014We felt lucky to get a reservation and it lived up to its reviews and awards.Special Features:
- Just okFranklinDined on 8/30/2014Arrived early, had to wait in the bar. Food came and was a little undercooked for our taste/fatty.......would recommend something else other than the long rib unless you like rare fatty beef. Not a romantic setting at all.Special Features:
- carnivores' delightBuckeyeDined on 8/29/2014While the menu offers plenty of sides, this restaurant is all about meat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, decent experienceCassieVIPDined on 8/28/2014We were seated in the bar area at a small table even though we had a reservation for over a week. Don't get the green chorizo sausage- odd texture. The lobster grilled cheese was great! Overall, the experience would have been better if we had a table with more privacy for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Didn't live up to what I hoped for!BumbleDined on 8/27/2014Had hoped for a beer bar with great meat options but Butcher and Boar didn't really deliver. Local and selected beers on tap were fine but food was disappointing. Tried the wild boar sausage which was just OK but the wild boar head cheese was excellent. Not sure it was made on site but loved the thick slices and meaty texture. The double cut pork chop was highly recommended but ours was dry and incredibly tough....left without even eating half of it. Bar service was good, after waiting for our reservation for half hour we were seated......in the bar anyway! Noise level is off the charts!
- Business DinnernonicknameDined on 8/26/2014I brought clients to "the Butcher", convinced everyone that they are going to have a great experience - their expectations were exceeded. The great vegetables were a suprise and a delight.Special Features:
- Carnivore heavenMrsHDined on 8/26/2014From appetizers to desserts everything is unique and so flavor packed. Many items do get spicy, sauce can be ordered on the side. The beef long bone had perfect smoke flavor and nice bark. Fall off the bone tender. Ordered the Tabasco BBQ sauce on the side which was good as it did pack a kick! Side dishes are enough for 2 to share. Blueberry tart for dessert was delicate and not to heavy. Cocktails are the bomb! The whiskey sour was perfect, the whiskey was the star. Drinks are made with 3 ice cubes not a glass full of crushed ice. The only draw back as the restaurant fills up the noise level does increase making conversation somewhat difficult. Can't wait to return and try the T bone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014Underwhelmed. Food fair at best; service inattentive; noise level intolerable. Won't be back & won't recommend. This may be what the "hip" crowd wants, but it is certainly not for foodies who expect exceptionally good food and a noise level that allows for conversation!
- 85 degreesredmeatDined on 8/24/2014It was 85 and breezy outside, 85 and stuffy indoors. Our server was way off his game. For example, we ordered a white wine due to the heat, and he confirmed he would chill it for us. He poured, left it on the table, then must have remembered it 15 minutes later, because he snuck in from behind and whisked it away just as my glass neared empty. Our hot, spicy, and mostly delicious food was delivered, but we saw the waiter 2x the rest of the night. For the price, I could have used a little a/c and some service. Not sure if they will get a second chance.Special Features:
- Great food. Okay service.BanjoDined on 8/23/2014As far as the kitchen goes, place is outstanding. Food was cooked perfectly, and didn't have to wait long for it after it was ordered. The bar staff was also on point. The wait staff and hosts need some work. We made an 8:30pm reservation and showed up at 8:20. We were told that our table would be ready by the 8:30 reservation time, which is fine, so we elected to sit at the bar and have a cocktail while we waited. We were finally seated at 8:45, but were told that they only had patio available and inside seating would be another 10 minutes. Once we sat down we waited over 5 minutes for our server to say hi. The rest of the experience was delightful. Fair warning to newcomers, this place is very LOUD, inside and out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow if you love meatvisitingVIPDined on 8/23/2014If you love meat this is your place. Food is great. Service was good. Very loud and hard to have a conversation. Portions are huge. Fried green tomatoes were good. I had the ribs hubby had the long rib. He could not even finish. That never happens.Special Features:
- best dinner in minneapolis!!gertDined on 8/23/2014Ive been to alot of restaurants in minneapolis and the B and B was by far one of the best experiences! The long rib, foie gras, sausage sampler, and hotdog were all amazing. Cant wait to go back again and try some more great dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bit loud,will come backEelcoDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful crab legs, great wine (pinot grigio), and a nicely executed special of the day: 22oz t-bone. The Brussels sprouts didn't need to be fried, in our opinion, and it is a bit loud inside - but all and all a nice food experience with great service. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meat lovers dreamMartinDined on 8/22/2014Generous cuts of meat done in an inventive way. Sit outside if you can. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I USUALLY love it here...KatyLeeDined on 8/20/2014...but everything was off this night. Rude bartender, snotty hostess, and a lack of silverware. We (a party of 2) we seated at a table with just one place setting. Honestly, it took 20 minutes after our food arrived for them to bring me a set of silverware. I understand that they are a busy place, but come on. That is unacceptable. I brought a friend from out of town, after raving about how wonderful the place is, and was really embarrassed. All of this being said, the previous 3 times I've been to the Butcher & the Boar were lovely. Good service, fantastic food. I'm not sure what the problem was this time. I'm less excited to go back now, and won't be recommending it as highly as I had been.Special Features:
- Loud!NeighDined on 8/20/2014Loud in the restaurant. My boyfriend and I were shouting across the table the whole night to hear one another. Could have prevented that by sitting outside but it was a hot muggy night. Tables were placed only a few inches from one another and if you were a couple you had to sit across from one another with neighbors right on top of you on either side. Maytag salad was excellent as well as the huge baked sweet potato that had a carmelized skin. Sausage sampler were 3 huge sausages, one with cheese from WI was quite fatty and not to our taste. Pork chops and ribs hung off the plate. If looking for high quality food, high in saturated fats, and huge portions, this is the place for you.Special Features:
- A meat lover's dreamHussDined on 8/19/2014First time here, with a group from work. Everything, drinks, apps, dinner, dessert was outstanding. Might not come with a large group again as the noise level made table conversation prohibitive. Our server had several recommendations and all were excellent - especially recommend the pork chops with peaches. I am still dreaming about them.Special Features:
- Memorable mealdiner22Dined on 8/17/2014We took my out-of-town in-laws here for dinner and they couldn't stop raving! The food was amazing. Each dish hit the mark, most notably the smoked beef rib. From the wine to the appetizers to the desserts our expectations were exceeded. We will be back.Special Features:
- Meat and bourbon!gregDined on 8/17/2014As the name implies, this is a meat place, and an excellent one. A 22oz pork chop done to perfection with a fine bourbon and peach glaze. Needless to say, I took a lot home. The bourbon list is extensive and the bartender knows how to mix great drinks. Can't speak to the beer list as I stopped at the bourbons, but I suspect it too is very good. They had very tempting fish dishes on the menu. Must returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEAT CITYOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Hoped to get outdoor table but only room indoors. Tables very close to one another; could almost touch food at table right next to us. Extremely loud. Hard to converse with person at your own table. I would call this restaurant THE MOST UNHEALTHY place I have eaten in the twin cities. Large portions of oversalted, overseasoned meats. Ribs with mega barbecue sauce. Worst appetizer ever-smoked olives-felt like I was eating smoke. One and done at this place. Is there anything remotely healthy to eat here?? .