Butcher & Singer
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Butcher & Singer
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butcherandsinger.com/
- Phone: 2157324444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: James Davidson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at 215.923.2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our Special Events Department for more information.
A word from Butcher & Singer
Butcher & Singer, in the amazing historic location at 1500 Walnut, is an intimate and sophisticated dining experience in a relaxed clubhouse setting. We brought back the true classics from perfect Manhattans and Sidecars to dry aged, hand cut steaks and chops, and freshly caught fish. Timeless and fun for all in the continued age of the American chophouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Butcher & Singer - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Butcher & Singer reviews from OpenTable diners
344 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (276)romantic (196)fit for foodies (128)notable wine list (118)good for groups (77)hot spot (53)neighborhood gem (32)great for lunch (32)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great nightbabybette1VIPDined on 9/14/2014We went for Restaurant Week. I ordered from that menu and my Boyfriend ordered from the regular menu. I eat my steak medium well and he eats his Rare. We are used to issues when we both order steak. They both came out at the same time and perfect. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/14/2014Our cocktails, escargot, and steaks were delicious. We asked for our steaks to be prepared Pittsburgh medium and they were cooked perfectly. Although, I was disappointed that they replaced the regular lamb chops with a mutton chop.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great location! Great building! The ambiance was perfect!! Food from start to finish was out of this world!!! All six of us enjoyed every second of this restaurant and meal!!!Special Features:
- Best in PhillyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014We have dined at every top notch steak house in philly and this was in the top two if not number one. Everything was perfect down to the baked Alaska (don't miss it ). You will not be disappointed. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/13/2014Steaks came out cold ...were sent back and were still cold when re-served. Very disappointing and not at all expected at this level of restaurant!
- Went for restaurant weekBB615Dined on 9/12/2014My girlfriend and I went for a 9:30p restaurant week dinner; atmosphere was great, we had a booth seat which allowed us to see the whole beautiful restaurant; we ordered the filet, which was amazing. Everything was top notch; we split a bottle of wine which complimented the meal. Great service; we'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Amazing NightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014This old-Hollywood style restaurant is a city gem! Their Restaurant Week menu is legendary, and second only to the cool, hip vibe. You would be hard-pressed to find anything else quite like Butcher & Singer in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Very goodLindsayDined on 9/11/2014Went here for restaurant week, the petite filet is the bomb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Just Loved It.ControlahDined on 9/11/2014The atmosphere was elegant and the service was impeccable. Everyone was knowledgable and friendly. As you can tell I like things simple and the food was simply fantastic. The waiter recommended the Delmonica and I just loved it. The crab cake appetizer was excellent and a great start. Try the onion rings they are a rare treat. The carrot cake was prefect. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceFee01Dined on 9/10/2014The service was wonderful my server knew the menu very well and the food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school atmosphereRobbyDined on 9/10/2014Just what I was looking for in a steak place, the old school charm of Sinatra. From the music to the decor to the drink list. It was perfect. The dining room is fantastic and the steak was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Was very good. Portions for restaurant week were appropriate.Special Features:
- resturant weekhamiltonianDined on 9/10/2014Steak cooked perfectly. Bread and buttet is to so, so yummy. Baked Alaska is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodDanaDined on 9/10/2014We went for restaurant week. Everyone's filet was done to perfection and the service was excellent. The ambiance is just beautiful. My only complaint is that the sofa seating at our table was not very comfortable. The sofas are like cushioned benches and are hard on the back. They look cute but lack function.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014The food was excellent. The first steak that I ever eaten without A1 sauceSpecial Features:
- A DisappointmentManilamanDined on 9/10/2014We had lunch here. The menu for restaurant week was limited and uninspiring but the food was good and so was the service. The noise level was however quite unpleasant and the proximity of the tables was slightly disconcerting.Special Features:
- QueenCulverDined on 9/10/2014Overall our experience was great; I brought customers and we were able to have conversation because the noise level was perfect. Or service was also very attentive without being obtrusive; excellent when conversation is the reason for dining out. The menu was not at all descriptive -- all selections are listed in as few words as possible. You have to ask, "What is the Butcher Salad?" to find out what it contains. This always makes me wonder if it will contain whatever chef has left from the day prior. One of our diners had a salad with a ton of cilantro and he is not a fan -- had he known the salad had cilantro (our server had not mentioned it in the verbal description) he would not have ordered it. Burgers and caramel tart were fantastic!Special Features:
- It was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Came here to restaurant week. . I ordered medium rare, and my steak was pretty much rawSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyDined on 9/8/2014Oysters Rockefeller were delicious and steak excpeptional. Ordinary mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014The meal was outstanding!!!! Service..matched that!!! Thank you for a wonderful meal! We brought friends from Arizona..high school buddy...last time I saw him 45 years ago...you made an impression.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014This was one of the nicest dining experiences for us this year. This was the first time we went to this restaurant, and it was fabulous!Special Features:
- very enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Very clean. The service was fantastic. The food was very good. The tables are candle lit and provide a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service excellent restaurantantoinetteVIPDined on 9/8/2014A wonderful restaurant. Great food, service and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2014Great food. Great service. Will definitely be returning and would recommend to everyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceBridgeplayerDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Burcher & Singer. The food and the service were exceptional. I can't wait to dine here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyablemswunion1976Dined on 9/7/2014We went for our anniversary on the first night of restaurant week and ordered from the restaurant week menu. The food was prepared simply and well, but nothing outstanding. The service was the best thing about it - very low key but attentive and professional. When the waiter found out it was our anniversary he brought us a little scoop of their delicious ice cream. It is a big open space so it is a little noisy, and tables are set up very close together so that the couple next to you is really next to you. I got contact bad breath from the garlic in the snails they ordered ;). It did make for an enjoyable evening, and I'm sure the food off the regular menu is a notch better.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/7/2014While service and food was good, I felt we were a little rushed, given it was Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- AMAZING AND DELICIOUSOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Everyone who worked there was so helpful and knowledgeable about all the food. All of the food was amazing and the wait time was very minimal.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Everything was perfect! From the food, the atmosphere, the wait staff and even the valet parking. It was all perfect and I can't wait to return. I was here due to a special occasion and Butcher & Singer made it even more special. I don't get into the city often but this will be one place that I do want to return to when I am in Philadelphia. Very special.Special Features:
- Poor service and foodSurgeVIPDined on 9/4/2014Skip this and go to Barclay Prime instead. Water glass never filled. Medium rare filet came back with a thick crunch char on the outside, and not juicy inside, but it was red. Stuffed hash brown was boring, brussel sprouts just tasted like the bacon they put all over it. Shrimp/crab/avocado salad was great. I will not have dinner here again, but I am looking forward to trying the desserts some time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Great restaurant, but be prepared. It's very loud.Special Features:
- not what excpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014the restaurant was presented like high class one! the food was great especially 32 Mutton chop-the best ever!!! but service very disappointing! when the person drinks one drink all the time he knows its color, smell and for sure the taste, and they brought one from the bar presented as we ordered one, but it wasnt ! turn to be the bar didnt had it at all. if you dont have it just say it. as on cheking on the table by waiter wasnt very often. glass was empty for quiet some time several times. maybe that day just wasnt ours, but it shouldnt be like that at the restaurant with this kind of presentation and prices!Special Features:
- Terrific FoodSnippyVIPDined on 9/3/2014Best steaks around and the potatoes are outstanding! Great restaurant to eat at before a show.Special Features:
- Night out in center-city PhillyHappyEaterDined on 9/2/2014My wife and I were looking for a place to dine, before going to an off-Broadway show, and chose the Butcher & Singer. Everything is pretty much ala carte, and because we're not big eaters, we were glad to hear that you can share dishes and sides...no problem. We skipped appetizers, split a Caesar salad (nice, crisp romaine) and stuffed hash browns (a house specialty; easily enough for 4 people), and my wife ordered pan-seared trout that comes with green beans while I ordered the 8 ounce filet (perfect medium rare) and a side of asparagus spears (peeled and steamed, but on the large-side for my taste; I prefer the pencil-thin ones). We finished off dinner with a shared Baked Alaska for desert. Overall, a very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:
- Everything done correctlyKilgoreTroutDined on 8/31/2014Food was fabulous. Steaks melt in your mouth. Make sure to ask questions about which cut is best for you and the recommended cooking temperature. Not all steaks meant to be the same. The Delmonico is incredible if you like that marbleized type meat - so tender and cooked perfectly. You can share sides 3 or more people easily - they go a long way. For 5 people we had 1 potato dish (awesome), 1 string bean side and 1 brussel sprouts side (spectacular). Waiter knowledgeable and all service excellent. His suggestions and recommendations were spot-on. Low light but not too dark that you strain to see the food. Jazz in the background. Seating comfortable.Special Features:
- Great Steak...Great TimeDinnerThymeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Went to Butcher & Singer this past Saturday evening. We have been to other steakhouses around the city, but this was our first time here. We were greeted by a lovely hostess that took us directly to our table. Our waiter, Tom, was nothing short of wonderful. I am a fan of Manhattans and the restaurant just happens to have a list of specialty manhattans that Tom described with lots of enthusiasm. Tom also went over the menu with us and pointed out some of his personal favorites. We settled on the Porterhouse for 2, the stuffed hashbrowns and brussel sprouts. The steak was delicious, tender and cooked to medium-rare perfection. The stuffed hashbrowns cannot be missed...different from anything I've had before and downright awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gem, not to be missed!bowesDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed Butcher & Singer for our wedding anniversary - a delightful evening! When reserving on Open Table we mentioned it was our 30th anniversary, and they showered us at the end of our meal with a comp dessert and sparkling wine. From bar to table, service was impeccable, food was wonderful (my husband had beef and I had salmon) and the stuffed hash browns are not to be missed. Over all, the amazing ambience made us feel as though we were in a 1940s-'50s supper club....jazz playing and elegant lamps on each table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumYumVIPDined on 8/30/2014What a great meal for the entire family. Service is great and very friendly and menu has something for everyone. We really loved the oysters and wedge salad to start. The porterhouse was cooked to perfection as was the swordfish. The spinach and backed potato were perfect sides to go along with the meals. Did add the chocolate cake for dessert which was very good as well. They really take care of you and make you feel like the center of attention. Only negative is the $18 valet parking fee but not many other options for parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRt510Dined on 8/29/2014The east coast oysters where the best I've had all summer and service was impeccable. So happy everytime I dine here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was perfectpbandjDined on 8/29/2014Service was attentive but not obtrusive. Waiter did not write down the order, knew the menu intimately and was very accommodating. He shook my martini vigorously and agreed to replace it when I stated that I preferred it "stirred, not shaken"(just kidding). Food was cooked perfectly to order. The prices were high, but we were in center city and within walking distance of the theater. Although the food itself would not justify the high price, the overall experience did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.