Butcher & Singer
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Butcher & Singer
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butcherandsinger.com/
- Phone: 2157324444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: James Davidson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at 215.923.2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our Special Events Department for more information.
A word from Butcher & Singer
Butcher & Singer, in the amazing historic location at 1500 Walnut, is an intimate and sophisticated dining experience in a relaxed clubhouse setting. We brought back the true classics from perfect Manhattans and Sidecars to dry aged, hand cut steaks and chops, and freshly caught fish. Timeless and fun for all in the continued age of the American chophouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Butcher & Singer - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Butcher & Singer reviews from OpenTable diners
383 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (298)romantic (218)fit for foodies (143)notable wine list (128)good for groups (84)hot spot (61)great for lunch (41)neighborhood gem (37)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (13)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Just..wow.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Had an incredible dinner with my boyfriend for our first anniversary together. The service was impeccable as well as every bit of food and wine. It was the perfect choice all around and I can't wait until we can go again. Such a special night only to be made better by him asking me to marry him! Thank you for a beautiful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambienceSunnyDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant decor flows well and it creates a special feeling for the guests. The service was superb. I saw a waiter pulling a chair out for a guest who was coming back to the table. The staff was constantly looking out for an opportunity to make the experience excellent for the guests. The food was not so impressive. There was not much creativity added to the menu. No "wow" element. Very consistent to what you might expect for a steakhouse restaurant, which does not command the bill you get at the end. Very happy with the service we received, but I did not feel like this was a place that I would die to go back to.
- Not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014I guess the saying, 'You get what you pay for' really rings true when it comes to this place. My boyfriend and I went for Restaurant Week on September 19th. While I did not mind the food selections, the taste left something to be desired. Perhaps it was because we went on a Friday night and the place was busy or it could have been that the owner of this restaurant wanted the most bang for his buck. Whatever it was, my boyfriend and I both knew upon tasting the mashed potatoes we had ordered to go with our entrees was boxed mashed potatoes. There was no denying that cardboard, instant microwaveable taste. My half baked chicken was ok, the roasted veggies I got on the side equaled about a spoonful...what a joke. Skip this place and the price.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Went out with my girlfriend for restaurant week.Very upscale type rerestaurant with amazing food and great service. I had the fillet mignon, which was amazing, and my girlfriend had the seared salmon, also amazing. I would definitely recommend this place for a date night or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a business lunchRaggyboysVIPDined on 9/19/2014Have taken clients to lunch here twice in the last month and feel it is a good environment for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014Food was very good, seasoned just right. A little too noisy for my tastes. The curtains didn't seem to go with the decor. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Butcher and Singer: the Best!MargaretVIPDined on 9/18/2014With a fabulous waiter, Donovan, and superb food and ambiance, we had all we needed for a fantastic evening! Can't wait to return for salt caramel and chocolate tart, amazing dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience; food OKOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014We ate off the Restaurant Week menu which was limited. Only beef choice was a hamburger which was very good but did not surpass those I have eaten elsewhere.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week WinOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014Between my boyfriend and I, we got the 8 oz filet mignon, the chicken, the mashed potatoes, the green beans, the oysters, the salad, and the sorbet and the chocolate tart from the Restaurant Week menu. Everything literally melted in our mouths and was absolutely divine. Our waiter Brian was attentive and friendly without being overbearing, and we both left satisfied. Definitely a great spot for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedQrichDined on 9/17/2014This restaurant has once again been a great dining experience. Server was awesome, food was great. Nice ambiance and great for an early after work dinner with friends or a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daddy did good!PumpsnPampersDined on 9/16/2014We came here for my fiancées Birthday dinner and she absolutely loved it. We have been to every steak restaurant in the Philly area, she had never been here before and I knew she would enjoy it, but it was even better than I thought. Then we walked down the street and had a cigar at the Ashton, we really enjoyed out evening. The Baked Alaska she had for dessert was delectable, we will be back sooner than laterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent.GottoluvfoodDined on 9/16/2014I enjoyed myself and the service was excellent! Great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveBYOsDined on 9/16/2014One of the best selections for restaurant week! The filet was perfectly prepared with sides included. We had a great experience. Will definitely go back.
- neighborDined on 9/16/2014The food and service were good, not great, and the wine was disappointing for the price ($120).Special Features:
- DeliciousBlueXVIPDined on 9/15/2014Great service, great food. I'd highly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Comfort foodOpenTableaddictDined on 9/15/2014The experience was excellent from entry to service to meal. The price was reasonable for the quality. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/15/2014Have been here 5 times. Each time dry-aged beef does not disappoint. Service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super lunchRealtorchefDined on 9/15/2014Clubby atmosphere. Very civilized. Perfect for business or date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightbabybette1VIPDined on 9/14/2014We went for Restaurant Week. I ordered from that menu and my Boyfriend ordered from the regular menu. I eat my steak medium well and he eats his Rare. We are used to issues when we both order steak. They both came out at the same time and perfect. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/14/2014Our cocktails, escargot, and steaks were delicious. We asked for our steaks to be prepared Pittsburgh medium and they were cooked perfectly. Although, I was disappointed that they replaced the regular lamb chops with a mutton chop.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great location! Great building! The ambiance was perfect!! Food from start to finish was out of this world!!! All six of us enjoyed every second of this restaurant and meal!!!Special Features:
- Best in PhillyDinewithc4Dined on 9/13/2014We have dined at every top notch steak house in philly and this was in the top two if not number one. Everything was perfect down to the baked Alaska (don't miss it ). You will not be disappointed. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/13/2014Steaks came out cold ...were sent back and were still cold when re-served. Very disappointing and not at all expected at this level of restaurant!
- Went for restaurant weekBB615Dined on 9/12/2014My girlfriend and I went for a 9:30p restaurant week dinner; atmosphere was great, we had a booth seat which allowed us to see the whole beautiful restaurant; we ordered the filet, which was amazing. Everything was top notch; we split a bottle of wine which complimented the meal. Great service; we'll be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Amazing NightHazelo9Dined on 9/12/2014This old-Hollywood style restaurant is a city gem! Their Restaurant Week menu is legendary, and second only to the cool, hip vibe. You would be hard-pressed to find anything else quite like Butcher & Singer in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Very goodLindsayDined on 9/11/2014Went here for restaurant week, the petite filet is the bomb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Just Loved It.ControlahDined on 9/11/2014The atmosphere was elegant and the service was impeccable. Everyone was knowledgable and friendly. As you can tell I like things simple and the food was simply fantastic. The waiter recommended the Delmonica and I just loved it. The crab cake appetizer was excellent and a great start. Try the onion rings they are a rare treat. The carrot cake was prefect. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceFee01Dined on 9/10/2014The service was wonderful my server knew the menu very well and the food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old school atmosphereRobbyDined on 9/10/2014Just what I was looking for in a steak place, the old school charm of Sinatra. From the music to the decor to the drink list. It was perfect. The dining room is fantastic and the steak was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Was very good. Portions for restaurant week were appropriate.Special Features:
- resturant weekhamiltonianDined on 9/10/2014Steak cooked perfectly. Bread and buttet is to so, so yummy. Baked Alaska is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodDanaDined on 9/10/2014We went for restaurant week. Everyone's filet was done to perfection and the service was excellent. The ambiance is just beautiful. My only complaint is that the sofa seating at our table was not very comfortable. The sofas are like cushioned benches and are hard on the back. They look cute but lack function.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014The food was excellent. The first steak that I ever eaten without A1 sauceSpecial Features:
- A DisappointmentManilamanDined on 9/10/2014We had lunch here. The menu for restaurant week was limited and uninspiring but the food was good and so was the service. The noise level was however quite unpleasant and the proximity of the tables was slightly disconcerting.Special Features:
- QueenCulverDined on 9/10/2014Overall our experience was great; I brought customers and we were able to have conversation because the noise level was perfect. Or service was also very attentive without being obtrusive; excellent when conversation is the reason for dining out. The menu was not at all descriptive -- all selections are listed in as few words as possible. You have to ask, "What is the Butcher Salad?" to find out what it contains. This always makes me wonder if it will contain whatever chef has left from the day prior. One of our diners had a salad with a ton of cilantro and he is not a fan -- had he known the salad had cilantro (our server had not mentioned it in the verbal description) he would not have ordered it. Burgers and caramel tart were fantastic!Special Features:
- It was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/9/2014Came here to restaurant week. . I ordered medium rare, and my steak was pretty much rawSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyDined on 9/8/2014Oysters Rockefeller were delicious and steak excpeptional. Ordinary mashed potatoes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014The meal was outstanding!!!! Service..matched that!!! Thank you for a wonderful meal! We brought friends from Arizona..high school buddy...last time I saw him 45 years ago...you made an impression.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014This was one of the nicest dining experiences for us this year. This was the first time we went to this restaurant, and it was fabulous!Special Features:
- very enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Very clean. The service was fantastic. The food was very good. The tables are candle lit and provide a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.