Butcher & Singer
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Butcher & Singer
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butcherandsinger.com/
- Phone: (215) 732-4444
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: James Davidson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at 215.923.2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our Special Events Department for more information.
A word from Butcher & Singer
Butcher & Singer, in the amazing historic location at 1500 Walnut, is an intimate and sophisticated dining experience in a relaxed clubhouse setting. We brought back the true classics from perfect Manhattans and Sidecars to dry aged, hand cut steaks and chops, and freshly caught fish. Timeless and fun for all in the continued age of the American chophouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Butcher & Singer - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Butcher & Singer reviews from OpenTable diners
397 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (308)romantic (225)fit for foodies (152)notable wine list (110)good for groups (80)hot spot (65)great for lunch (49)neighborhood gem (49)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Classy placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2014Excellent food and service. We had Brian as our waiter and he was AWESOME!! Ask for him if you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014We celebrated my wedding here and had a phenomenal experience. Everything from booking the reservation, to the ambience of the restaurant, to the FOH staff, to our server Ricky, were beyond perfect. They seamlessly accommodated our party of 9 at a table that was spacious but intimate. We all love steak and left feeling like we'd had some of the best cuts we ever had. My filet was so perfectly cooked you almost didn't need silverware. At the end of the meal my husband and I were treated to an adorable scoop of ice cream with an candle in it to help us celebrate. If you are looking for the perfect spot to celebrate a special occasion or to have a expertly crafted meal I can't recommend Butcher and Singer more highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service. Request Brian! A+++OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014Outstanding service and great ambiance and the food was delicious. Brian was out server and he was impeccable. I don't have a single bad thing to say about this restaurant. I'd highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food service, & ambianceSuzyDined on 11/13/2014The appetizer of shrimp cocktail was excellent. The Butcher salad was disappointing as it had too many onions in it and took away from the other flavors. The Delmonico steak taste was excellent, but just a bit too fatty. The stuffed hash brown & creamed spinach were perfect! The decor, service, and over all ambience were wonderful! A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shortstop01Dined on 11/12/2014I had the Delmonico and it is on my top 5 steaks ever. Our server was perfectly attentive, and made excellent wine suggestions. Great for a romantic night, I would suggest you request a booth for a more intimate dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014The food is always great and it was again. The only disappointment was that they asked if there was a special occasion when they called to confirm our reservation and it was - we were celebrating our engagement by going to the restaurant where we had our first date. However, I was surprised that they really didn't do anything to make us feel special on this occasion.Special Features:
- Great SteakMGJBDined on 11/10/2014We do an annual trip to Philly and always make sure that The Butcher and Singer is one of the first places we go! The steak is wonderful, the sides delicious, and the wine divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectCrazy4steakDined on 11/8/2014The hostess and bartenders were wonderful but our waitress left a bit to be desired. Our steaks were great but I would recommend ordering steak more well done than you normally order it (the waitress suggested this but I didn't listen). The bartenders were fast, knowledgeable, alert and friendly and the hostess kept things moving like a Swiss watch.Special Features:
- Amazing!EricaWIPVIPDined on 11/8/2014I took my boyfriend to Butcher & Singer for his birthday and he was over-the-moon ecstatic with the choice! He is a huge fan of those by-gone days where men were men and women were women, men wore hats and suits, drank stiff drinks, ate big steaks and found the little things important. This place certainly fit the bill. The room looked like it was pulled straight out of an Errol Flynn movie, with dark wood, candle light, large fixtures and stone floors (just begging for a woman like myself to slip and fall in her heels). We placed our drink orders, and he loved his Corpse Reviver #2 and my Manhattan made with Woodford Reserve was perfect! We ordered the steak tartare, and it is my belief that you don't put that on your menu unless it is amazing and it didn't disappoint. Our mains, he with his Delmonico and me with my filet, were cooked to our very precise specifications, and delicious, along with the best mashed potatoes I have ever had and green beans that tasted like they were picked from the garden out back. Certainly one of the best meals he has ever had and (as I travel extensively for work) it ranks high on my list as well. Totally worth the money and time, as a special occasion, something to look forward to again in the years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary spot3yrsandcountingDined on 11/7/2014I took my wife there for our anniversary this year and had a very nice time. The food and device was both top notch and I will definitely be going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday celebration with my hubbyladyjacksonDined on 11/7/2014Andrew our waiter was great. The food was excellent and plentiful! We're eating leftovers from our doggy bags tonight and they're amazing! My husband had a really great time for his birthday. One thing though, our table wasn't ready and we waited at the entrance for 15 minutes. Despite this little bump, we had a nice dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great VibeMAlstonDined on 11/7/2014Food was really good! Service was great. Really like the Delmonico Streak and Seafood platterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service was amazing!lucaboy1Dined on 11/7/2014Waiter was awesome. I think he said his name was Drew. Food deeeelish. Stuffed hash brown amazing. Filet was tender and cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular visitorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The room is excellent - certainly one of the most impressive and attractive in Philadelphia. The menu promises classic meat and seafood, and delivers consistently.Special Features:
- Never Been DisappontedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2014I've been here a few toms and I have never been disappointed. The Butcher burger is the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful EveningCarmenDined on 11/5/2014We had reservations for two and a third joined us last minute. The place was packed but that did not deter our hostess from finding us a great seat to accommodate our third guest. The waiter was fantastic, making some excellent suggestions on the menu. When we decided to order 3 entrees from the menu and all wanted to sample it was not a problem. He had the kitchen prep the courses so we could easily share. The appetizers, salad and entrees were prepared to perfection. A notable wine list and suggested pairings were a hit. We spent 4 hours at the restaurant and there was no rush to turn the table. It was a perfect and memorable dining experience. Kudos!Special Features:
- Great steakasherVIPDined on 11/4/2014Simply stated, a solid steak house with good atmosphere, a little noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2014Excellent food, a bit loud, hard to have a cross table conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/2/2014Wonderful spot - they whiffed on the birthday girls Delmonico Steak and offered a replacement with a filet mignon which was okay BUT that is NOT what brings steak lovers to their door - really put a crimp in the whole night.Special Features:
- Food and service were wonderfulGrammydDined on 11/2/2014We had a great experience at Butcher and Singer. Everything was so good. From the rolls, the Onion Soup to my perfect filet Mignon and my husband's swordfish, we had a great meal. The stuffed hash brown potatoes were to die for, so yummy. Our server, Rickie was wonderful. not only knowledgeable of the food but also the history of the beautiful building. It was very quiet but we were there on a Sunday at 4PM after seeing a show so it was not too crowded. My husband has eaten there often with clients so I was looking forward to going there after hearing his raves about it. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- A Night at Butcher & SingerDrdreeDined on 11/1/2014The Service Was Excellent. Donovan Our server was outstanding, he made suggestions that were on point. This Was The Best Steak Dinner, That I Totally Enjoyed. The Drinks Were Great, And The Wine List Was OutstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!southphillygirlVIPDined on 11/1/2014Went on Saturday night with significant other. Had a wonderful time. The filet mignon and the delmonico steaks were perfect. The side dishes, hash browns and asparagrus were wonderful. The dessert was wonderful as well - baked alaska. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- Luv2eatDined on 11/1/2014It was a special occasion. The restuarant was very accommodating. I would recommend this restuarant for all occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go!XxxxVIPDined on 11/1/2014Mediocre overpriced food Lousy service Crummy chairs
- First time there. Will return.qBurdmanDined on 10/30/20141st time there. A great dining experience. The food and service are the best in the City. I highly recommend dining there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent steakhouse!!JnsoVIPDined on 10/30/2014I was a bit skeptic as I'm not from Philly, but a very nice and good restaurant, service was outstanding and food great, will go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak in the AreaGrizzDined on 10/28/2014We recently had a business dinner at Butcher and Singer in Center City and although I had been to the predecessor, Striped Bass, this was my first time at Butcher and Singer. The food and ambiance were second to none and it was the best steak I have had in a long time. All of my colleagues felt the same and the prices were fairly reasonable, given the quality of the food and type of establishment. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone considering a business dinner or special occasion with someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Great experience ! Beautiful impressive restaurant! Great food! Just what a classic steak house should beSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High end steak house. Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Wonderful waitstaff. Excellent Service. Creative drinks. Can't wait to go back for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime dining experienceAhtalonVIPDined on 10/25/2014Great food and creative takes on drink classics are only the start. The setting and service complete the package for a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience. Butcher & Singer exceeded expectations and ranks with the top steak houses in the country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must in PhiladelphiaStevenDined on 10/24/2014If you are in Philly, you must put this on your bucket list! The ambiance could not have been better and the service (thank you Ed) was superb! My husband and I went overboard eating and drinking because everything was so fabulous! Thank goodness we could walk back to our hotel. Ed, our server, recommended the mutton (hate that word.....BUT nothing short of fabulous!!) and the Delmonico steak. OMG without his recommendation we would have missed out on the meal of a lifetime!!! then we topped off the evening with Baked Alaska...can't get that in many places. It was worth every fattening bite. a 5+ our of 5Special Features:
- Buthcher and singer2014blackDined on 10/21/2014The service and the food were excellent. Restaurant was on the pricey side, but it was well worth it. I would definitely return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazingLilGriffDined on 10/19/2014We went on a Sunday it was quiet the service was excellent and the food was amazing. They serve a carrot cake that melts in your mouth. I was very pleased with everythingSpecial Features:
- Amazing!!!!CoryoDined on 10/18/2014We went here for a special occasion dinner with a group of 4. The food was delicious and the service was over the top amazing! Our waiter Gato was perfect! There exactly when we needed him and he gave great recommendations. Not to mention his cute personality. And Brian, one of the waiters sang happy birthday to my Mom. ; ) Like I said- over the top. Will absolutely come back when I'm in Philly again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Andrea CacceseAndreaDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I found this restaurant to be an amazing venue. The dining room displayed extremely elegant decor with imposing graciousness. The high paneled ceilings and fabulous sound system all swept you into an era of reserved but vibrant pleasure. The Service was impeccable and the cocktails perfect. We ordered Porterhouse for two, which was prepared just as we asked. We have eaten at numerous famous steak houses and this steak equaled or exceeded them all. The oysters were so good we ordered an extra 3, as 6 were just not enough! It was a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Nice NightOutofTownerDined on 10/17/2014We do not live close so we made a special effort to visit the restaurant. It was certainly worth the trip. Great menu, excellent food and nice atmosphere. We plan to return during the upcoming holidays. The baked Alaska is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expecting MorelovetodineoutDined on 10/14/2014Was looking forward to a great meal but was disappointed with it. The breaded shrimp was overcooked and dry while the Brussel sprouts were bland.Special Features:
- Great for our special occassion!!FoodFanaticDined on 10/13/2014We celebrated my boyfriend's birthday there last night. The food was out of this world. We had the Calamari to start and split the Shrimp and Crab Louie salad. The salad was the perfect splitting size. My boyfriend had the Delmonico Steak (recommended by Brian our server) with blue cheese melted on top and I had the filet mignon. We split the hashbrowns and green beans. Try the hashbrowns! Brian recommended almost everything we tried. Brian was a delight and went over the whole menu with us newcomers to the restaurant. When we were too full to order dessert Brian brought my boyfriend out the Baked Alaska dessert for the birthday celebration. I cannot be happier with Butcher and Singer. I am looking forward to going back again!Special Features:
- Butcher and SingerSbmwVIPDined on 10/13/2014Butcher and Singer never disappoints. The service, wine selection and main courses are outstanding. Our veal chop and filet were done to perfection. We make it a point to make a reservation here every time were are in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Nice placedinnerdateduoDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I went to Butcher and Singer for the first time on Saturday. The restaurant was beautiful and the atmosphere was so old school. The service was good, but nothing too notable. The food was delicious. We ordered steak and I got mine with a lobster tail. Both were cooked perfectly. The sides were just ok. We ordered the brussel sprouts, signature fries, and mushrooms. And for our starter we got the escargot, awesome! Dessert was baked Alaska which was gone in two minutes flat. I do think it may be a little over priced for what you get. I may pick a place more like Prime over butcher and singer if I'm looking for a good steak. We didn't try any of the other entrees so I cant speak to those. Overall we had a lovely time.Special Features: