Butcher & Singer
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Butcher & Singer
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butcherandsinger.com/
- Phone: 2157324444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: James Davidson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at 215.923.2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our Special Events Department for more information.
A word from Butcher & Singer
Butcher & Singer, in the amazing historic location at 1500 Walnut, is an intimate and sophisticated dining experience in a relaxed clubhouse setting. We brought back the true classics from perfect Manhattans and Sidecars to dry aged, hand cut steaks and chops, and freshly caught fish. Timeless and fun for all in the continued age of the American chophouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Butcher & Singer - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Butcher & Singer reviews from OpenTable diners
290 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (232)romantic (166)notable wine list (108)fit for foodies (103)good for groups (63)hot spot (41)great for lunch (29)neighborhood gem (29)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great Steak...Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014Went to Butcher & Singer this past Saturday evening. We have been to other steakhouses around the city, but this was our first time here. We were greeted by a lovely hostess that took us directly to our table. Our waiter, Tom, was nothing short of wonderful. I am a fan of Manhattans and the restaurant just happens to have a list of specialty manhattans that Tom described with lots of enthusiasm. Tom also went over the menu with us and pointed out some of his personal favorites. We settled on the Porterhouse for 2, the stuffed hashbrowns and brussel sprouts. The steak was delicious, tender and cooked to medium-rare perfection. The stuffed hashbrowns cannot be missed...different from anything I've had before and downright awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gem, not to be missed!bowesDined on 8/30/2014We enjoyed Butcher & Singer for our wedding anniversary - a delightful evening! When reserving on Open Table we mentioned it was our 30th anniversary, and they showered us at the end of our meal with a comp dessert and sparkling wine. From bar to table, service was impeccable, food was wonderful (my husband had beef and I had salmon) and the stuffed hash browns are not to be missed. Over all, the amazing ambience made us feel as though we were in a 1940s-'50s supper club....jazz playing and elegant lamps on each table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumYumVIPDined on 8/30/2014What a great meal for the entire family. Service is great and very friendly and menu has something for everyone. We really loved the oysters and wedge salad to start. The porterhouse was cooked to perfection as was the swordfish. The spinach and backed potato were perfect sides to go along with the meals. Did add the chocolate cake for dessert which was very good as well. They really take care of you and make you feel like the center of attention. Only negative is the $18 valet parking fee but not many other options for parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Service was attentive but not obtrusive. Waiter did not write down the order, knew the menu intimately and was very accommodating. He shook my martini vigorously and agreed to replace it when I stated that I preferred it "stirred, not shaken"(just kidding). Food was cooked perfectly to order. The prices were high, but we were in center city and within walking distance of the theater. Although the food itself would not justify the high price, the overall experience did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delmonico meets Filet MignonOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/28/2014Carnivores assemble! An utterly superb wine list to accompany perfectly seared and butterflied filet mignon and Delmonico steaks. Sublime. The room is cavernous and elegantly appointed, almost a temple to Butcher and Singer. Our service was smart, versed in all the intricacies of the menu and attentive without being intrusive. A perfect getaway from a day trip to the The Barnes Foundation to view Cezanne and from the hot summer day to the cool evening dark of a fine dining establishment. Don't miss out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous. Fabulous.ranormanDined on 8/27/2014There are lots of great steak houses in Philly, but all four of us who ate there agreed that Butcher & Singer is clearly the best. Incredible meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior DiningcharlesDined on 8/26/2014B & S remains (for us) a"destination" restaurant. The food is superior - the best filet in Phila. For the regular steak house diners this is just great. The menu is varied enough to satisfy most tastes. We've never had a meal that deserved anything but the highest praise. The service is polished and professional. The place is noisy, but a "nice" noise. Everyone seems to be having a good time. The staff is very anxious to see to it that the diners are happy and satisfied. What more can one say!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinner; service slowOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/26/2014The preparation of the food is always great here. dry aged porterhouse is excellent. the oysters however were tiny and lacked substance. my colleagues said the wedge salad was the best they'd ever had. it takes a wedge devotee to notice. the service was spotty, mainly because our waiter was frequently inattentive, especially at the beginning, when we wanted to order drinks, then dinner. but the rest of the staff was terrific.
- Very disappointedLuvsagoodmealDined on 8/26/2014We wanted to try this restaurant for quite sometime but thought it was a bit pricey. We decided to spluge for our anniversary. We ordered two steaks which were so fatty and very salty. I had to return mine. The vegetables we ordered were smothered in butter. It was our anniversary and we mentioned it in our reservation but they did not do anything special. Very disappointed. The steaks were so expensive, we will not be going back. Highly overrated!Special Features:
- Excellent SettingBullMarketDined on 8/24/2014Both food and service were first class; would definitely return to this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!Joe33Dined on 8/23/2014I am from Boston, so I have had my share of Smith and Wolenski's, Ruth Chris, Del Frisco's, Mortens, Flemmings, etc. Butcher and Singer was better than all of these on food, service, and ambience. The wait staff was attentitive and friendly. I would say my only minor issue was that they ran out of veuve champange. Overall, it's a must for a special occasion or a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate!jammyDined on 8/23/2014Birthday dinner: Delmonico, Porterhouse, stuff hash browns, mushrooms and onions, several delicious cocktails. Excellent place for a splurge. No regrets about ordering the Baked Alaska even though birthday cake awaited at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAppreciategoodfoodDined on 8/23/2014After reading reviews, I expected much more. Food: steak over cooked...medium rare is medium, creamed spinach...way too much salt, brussel sprouts....all leaves, calamari...good but not great...half of it was fried veggies, tuna app...pretty good but once again not great. Service: had to flag down server for another drink and to acquire about our dinner. They did bring it out immediately and offered us a free dessert for our wait, but the place wasn't packed (which on a Saturday night at 6:00 should tell you something). Overall? Ambience? Great! Outstanding actually. Food and service for dollar paid? And let me stress we are not picky and not cheap. A strong 3.Special Features:
- Not up to expectationsOpentableVIPVIPDined on 8/21/2014For the price paid I expected much more from a Stephen Starr establishment. We were promptly seated. I have to say they are very proud of their wine list, but we found a fine selection for under $100.00. The server took her eye off the initial pour and spilled, which was not a good start. My wife had the small filet with the Oscar added which was wonderful. I had the aged porterhouse, though perfectly done, was without a doubt the worse piece of prime beef I have ever had. It was tough and grisly. Completely unexpected. Their signature dessert, Baked Alaska was just awful! Service was slow but pleasant. When the bill came there was a $25.00 bar tab that was "inadvertently" transferred. An unexpected experience.Special Features:
- DisappointingLaurieQVIPDined on 8/20/2014The salad was very nice and the orange sherbet was a great throw back. Two of the three steaks ordered were not cooked to temperature. The signature potatoes were cooked in oil that should have been change weeks ago. The asparagus was limp and tasteless. The steaks were so over salted that we were drinking water well into the night.
- JWoodVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great "steak house" ambiance. My NY Strip and my wife's filet were cooked perfectly. Prices are steep but for a special occasion I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PERFECT LUNCH!!MARYANNEVIPDined on 8/19/2014What can I say that hasn't already been said? Our waiter Brian was outstanding. The lemon martini was spot on. The filet mignon melted in my mouth, as the hollandaise and asparagus! I requested a candle for my niece's dessert for her birthday. The chocolate cake was dressed beautifully with a happy birthday placard made from chocolate, homemade ice cream on the side. I can't wait to go there for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishGFFoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014I've already decided what I'd get when I go back! The servers recommendation of Delmonico is no joke. I had both the filet and the Delmonico, and the Delmonico was the complete star of the show. I'd also chose the chop salad with the Russian dressing over the Butcher salad. And for sides, which I could make meals of by themselves, the green beans almondine and creamed spinach I am still thinking about 2 days later. Service got a little "where'd they go?" towards meal completion, but nothing horrible. Overall, I am ready to go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerdelightfulbirthdaydinnerDined on 8/17/2014This restaurant was the perfect end to our weekend birthday getaway. The ambience was delightful and the food and presentation was impeccable. If we are ever back in Philly we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Amazing, amazing, AMAZING!aloverofsteakDined on 8/17/2014I always thought no one would ever top my dining experience at Del Frisco's in Center City, but this place, that happens to be right up the street, has made my decision-making regarding where to get the best steak in Philly that much harder. With a wine list of over 600 bottles, delicious little fried oysters, an amazing must-have stuff hash brown side dish, and a Delmonico with mouth watering marbling for days, this place was amazing. My filet mignon was cooked absolutely perfectly. The asparagus was HUGE! Baked Alaska for desssert--It knocked us off our feet! The wait staff was 5-star and the ambience was exceptional. A must visit. We will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- All Around Fabulous ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014My husband and I took our teenage daughters for a birthday celebration. From the moment we walked in everyone was impressed with the atmosphere. The waiter was the perfect blend of helpful and unobtrusive. When my husband asked about the history of the restaurant, he gave an engaging and knowledgeable response. While all of that was remarkable, the food was the best part. Each of us said, "This is the best ___ I've ever had.", multiple times throughout the night. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- yum!!!! amazingmichieVIPDined on 8/16/2014every time I /we are there we love it and say what a dining experience. The steaks, the stuffed hash browns the singer fries and the butcher salad and the bread keep bringing us backSpecial Features:
- Everything I Thought It Would Be!SteveDined on 8/15/2014Butcher & Singer came to me very highly recommended by several people. Not only did they meet my very lofty expectations, they actually exceeded them. The food was stellar, but even better was the service and atmosphere. The entirety of the wait staff demonstrated a level of excellence that I have not experienced at any other restaurant. This is a tremendous establishment and I look forward to dining there again.Special Features:
- First date as husband and wifeFabgal14Dined on 8/13/2014This restaurant was amazing in every way: service, food, drinks, dessert, ambiance !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereCenterCityRussDined on 8/10/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere. Quite, great service, great food. Obviously it was a special occasion, so we knew going in it was going to be pricey, but well worth the splurge. Make sure you try some of the old fashion cocktails. Very fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love lunch heremuffeeVIPDined on 8/7/2014another outstanding lunch !! never disappoints. unbelievable burgers. gracious, outstanding service. gorgeous room. the whole package. thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of The BestRUbin777Dined on 8/6/2014Amazing place. It starts with the kind reception, continues with amazing atmosphere inside, and all this perfectly polished with amazing food. We were 4 people, some vegetarians and some meat lovers: and all found what they looked for. Several food details: 1) Best Carrot Cake I had in my life. Amazing. Baked Alaska: unique dessert! I had both because you just can not resist! 2) Bread, butter, sauces: all are made from great ingredients and have fresh and pleasant taste. Very high quality! 3) Meat: great assortment in the menu and very unique propositions: This is among the ONLY restaurant in the city (and perhaps in the country) where the meat is perfectly correct! As all meat was prepared according to some secret! Amazing!Special Features:
- JeffDined on 8/6/2014Good food, great atmosphere, impeccable service and an ambiance conducive to good conversation and relaxing with friends.Special Features:
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/6/2014Very consistent food/service every time I have been here. Almost ordered seafood, but the steaks are so good, I could not skip one (Glad that I didn't) Noticed mutton chops on the menu now and not many spots to find them or good ones. A friend tried them and liked them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiefoodieDined on 8/5/2014As before, I thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. The onion soup is the best I have ever tasted anywhere. Our steaks were pprepared perfectly and the side dishes were delicious. I would recommend this restaurant any day. Also the waitress was extremely helpful with our car pick up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HAPPY TIMESGLOBABYVIPDined on 8/5/2014HAD A GREAT AFTERNOON. 58TH ANN.. FOOD AND SERVICE WAS OUTSTANDINGSpecial Features:
- PHILLY'S BEST RESTAURANT!1disappointedValentineVIPDined on 8/2/2014We can't say enough great things about this restaurant. We enjoy fine dining all over the world as we are travelers, but we found the Butcher & Singer to be at the top of our list! The atmosphere is elegant, romantic and relaxing. The steak was the best we have had anywhere we have traveled. It was so tender it practically melts in your mouth. Every bite was delicious. Our server was so professional, knowledgeable about the menu and had personality plus. An experience we will not forget!Special Features:
- Fantastic food but dark and noisyStefNChrisDined on 8/2/2014Butcher and Singer claims 1940s supper club. . I'd say it was but does that have to mean dark dim lighting and loud background music. The overall appearance of the resturant is expansive. Grand chandeliers hang from the ceiling and there are multiple levels of seating in the resturant. The food here is amazing; best filet I've had in the city! The wine list is extensive, and pricey! The wait staff is fantastic as well, truly knowledgable in all areas. My date had the delmanaco and said it was also best he's ever had. Saturday night is always booked so if you want to get in you need to book at least a week in advance! I'm so glad we finally were able to experience this place as it really was something special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at Butcher and SingerRivSingDined on 7/31/2014We go here occasionally, primarily because the Baked Alaska is amazing...always save room for dessert and even if you think you want chocolate think again and order Baked Alaska! Of my group of friends, only two of the group eat meat...so I can't speak for the steaks, however, the Trout is amazing, especially when they get the skin crispy! Also try the mushrooms and teh hashbrown you won't regret it! and don't forget to save room for dessert!Special Features:
- SolidFoodMonsterVIPDined on 7/31/2014The meal was solid. Service was above average. It was the only steakhouse in Philadelphia I hadn't been to in Philadlephia. I would rank it somewhere in the middle. My steak (delmonico) was probably my least favorite part of the meal. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but compartively speaking it was nothing to write home about. Be sure to order what is equivalent to a gourmet hash brown the size of your head!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/31/2014Great burgers, and the ambiance is really appropriate for a business lunch. This is a classic steakhouse in an old bank building solar to del friscos, but I've always found their food to be slightly better in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!LinkstarDined on 7/29/2014As I consider myself to be a real "foodie" the meal we had at Butcher & Singer rose above expectation. The meal was amazing, the service was exceptionally attentive, and although it is a restaurant I would consider a bit pricy, it was absolutely worth it. Well done! We will be visiting Butcher and Singer whenever we are visiting Philadelphia in the future.Special Features:
- Great Special Occasion Spotcdine09Dined on 7/26/2014Butcher and Singer has impeccable service and classic but tasty food. The atmosphere is beautiful and the food is pricey. However expect solid food and great service for the price. However if you're looking for adventurous taste this is not your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butcher and SingertreatingourselvesDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I had our anniversary dinner at Butcher and Singer. It was delicious! The butcher salad was awesome and our steaks were cooked to perfection. For something different, we shared the stuffed hash browns as one of our sides. Never saw anything like it. They were so crispy and stuffed with sour cream, onions, (and maybe cheese?). So good! Finally the Baked Alaska dessert was delicious. Our wait staff, yes - staff since we had a waiter and waitress - were very attentive, informative, and sociable. We even got a candle in our dessert as an anniversary surprise. The cost, however, was a bit pricy for what we are used to. But since it was a special occasion for us, it was well worth the cost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Guestspc07Dined on 7/24/2014I was asked to pick a place for lunch as a colleague was taking me out to say thank you. Butcher & Singer was suggested by a third-party who said that they have a grew burger special at lunch. I have to say it was a lovely dining experience. Made all the better by the Manager and Server. Their attention and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.