Butcher & Singer
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Butcher & Singer
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butcherandsinger.com/
- Phone: 2157324444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: James Davidson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at 215.923.2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our Special Events Department for more information.
A word from Butcher & Singer
Butcher & Singer, in the amazing historic location at 1500 Walnut, is an intimate and sophisticated dining experience in a relaxed clubhouse setting. We brought back the true classics from perfect Manhattans and Sidecars to dry aged, hand cut steaks and chops, and freshly caught fish. Timeless and fun for all in the continued age of the American chophouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Butcher & Singer - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Butcher & Singer reviews from OpenTable diners
390 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (300)romantic (221)fit for foodies (151)notable wine list (128)good for groups (88)hot spot (60)great for lunch (43)neighborhood gem (36)late-night find (16)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Great steaks, wine and serviceLocaldinerVIPDined on 9/29/2014All too often when dining out the food is not that much better than what I can make at home and the service is disappointing. How wonderful to find a place that exceeds expectations. Cory, our waiter was very attentive but not intrusive. Very nice wine list though I would have organized it differently. Very nice to see half bottles of great wines. We had the Grgich Hills cab. I have eaten at Palm in NY and Atlantic city, Homestead in NY and Luger's in NY. The steaks here are better. Period, end of subject. Not only is the meat more flavorful but perfectly done. The rolls are fresh baked and wonderful. The calamari was also very well done. Not greasy and with a side of fried onions and peppers. Nice touch. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014My girlfriend and I went to Butcher and Singer for our anniversary dinner and we were blown away by the entire meal. Everyone from the hostess to the waiter were outgoing, informative, and very accommodating. This is a friendly, upscale dining experience with excellent food and drink choices. Ask for our waiter, Drew, he was awesome and super helpful!Special Features:
- Great nightDine4funDined on 9/27/2014Food and service was top notch. The atmosphere is beautiful, lots of dark wood, cozy arm chairs,and plush cozy booths. Filet was perfect and their special hash brown side dish is a must try. Service was spot on. Great special occasion spot. Pricey steakhouse but we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DgeofbmgVIPDined on 9/27/2014Have been here twice in the past month. Both times excellent food -- great steaks. The atmosphere is lively and on a packed night can be loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Can't beat B and S for an outstanding steak and sides...Tops in Philly...An elegant experience with a casual ease....Special Features:
- the resturant was for the lovers ifortheloversDined on 9/27/2014My husband took me for our wedding anniversary this weekend and it was amazing. The resturant itself is so beautiful it gives you that 1920's glamour for rich. The food was top notch. I recommend any of their steaks and we had the escargo which was great. It was very pricey but it was worth every dime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great expectationsMerryMaryDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I had one night in Philadelphia and were looking for a good, grown up dining experience. Butcher and Singer exceeded expectation. The decor was warm and welcoming, the acoustics so good that we thought the background jazz music was live. Oh yes, the food was wonderful, made to order and the wine list meet the approval of my discerning husband. The staff were very friendly and attentive - props to waitress, Jen. We will definitely will recommend it to our friends and colleagues.Special Features:
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/26/2014My husband had I have been to Butcher and Singer multiple times over the past five years for dinner. It is a favorite for the good steak and very nice wine list. And last Friday night was no different. From the Montauk oysters to the porterhouse for two to the Singer fries it was all delicious. Additionally, both our waiter and the sommelier were attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steakJGTKMADined on 9/26/2014We went to B&S for my husbands 43rd birthday. It was beyond delicious. I had the filet and he the surf and turf. We had creamy spinach, string beans amandine, and garlic mash. Finished up with champagne and baked Alaska. Fantastic in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!food3reviewDined on 9/25/2014Will definitely return! Well priced for the amount of food, huge portion sizes. Everything was well made and waiter was spectacular. Friendly, made great suggestions and not over attentive. Atmosphere was great, just like the website and easy to hear/ see. Welcomes kids and noise is quieted by hanging curtains. Easy to have a private conversation without feeling cramped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchbnspiredVIPDined on 9/25/2014Delmonico with Oscar style was outstanding! Service was timely, non-intrusive, and first class. Atmosphere is really neat with high ceilings that enable noise to dissipate and have a dinner conversation with everyone at the table (5 in our party).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An elegant lunch spotLisaLivingstonDined on 9/25/2014Butcher & Singer is a beautifully decorated restaurant, and the food is delicious. I ordered the crab cake appetizer and pan roasted salmon. My boss loved the French onion soup which he said is the best he has ever tasted. Our waiter, Gato, was attentive and personable. Overall, it was a very pleasant dining experience. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not have been betterjustamedicDined on 9/24/20141st time here was special occasion with best friend who has been having a rough year. I had said same in comments when reservation was made. We arrived 30 minutes early and at once was transported to another world by the rich woodwork, the parquet flooring - it oozed ambiance. I gave my name the Maitre d offered to seat us immediately or we could relax in the bar. The only negative comment I have for the entire evening is, the chairs at the bar are somewhat low to the ground. Being 6'3" I'm not. My guest took great pleasure in comparing me to "Kindergarten Cop" but, even this added to the enjoyment of the evening. Due to size limit I can't rave enough about the food or wait staff. GET the dry aged Porterhouse!! We WILL BE BACK!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just..wow.AheartJDined on 9/20/2014Had an incredible dinner with my boyfriend for our first anniversary together. The service was impeccable as well as every bit of food and wine. It was the perfect choice all around and I can't wait until we can go again. Such a special night only to be made better by him asking me to marry him! Thank you for a beautiful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!!Freefall1Dined on 9/20/2014This is the third year in a row that we have gone here for our anniversary and as usual it was great!!! The food and service were great! We will be back again!!Special Features:
- Great ambienceSunnyDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant decor flows well and it creates a special feeling for the guests. The service was superb. I saw a waiter pulling a chair out for a guest who was coming back to the table. The staff was constantly looking out for an opportunity to make the experience excellent for the guests. The food was not so impressive. There was not much creativity added to the menu. No "wow" element. Very consistent to what you might expect for a steakhouse restaurant, which does not command the bill you get at the end. Very happy with the service we received, but I did not feel like this was a place that I would die to go back to.
- Not greatJasRDined on 9/19/2014I guess the saying, 'You get what you pay for' really rings true when it comes to this place. My boyfriend and I went for Restaurant Week on September 19th. While I did not mind the food selections, the taste left something to be desired. Perhaps it was because we went on a Friday night and the place was busy or it could have been that the owner of this restaurant wanted the most bang for his buck. Whatever it was, my boyfriend and I both knew upon tasting the mashed potatoes we had ordered to go with our entrees was boxed mashed potatoes. There was no denying that cardboard, instant microwaveable taste. My half baked chicken was ok, the roasted veggies I got on the side equaled about a spoonful...what a joke. Skip this place and the price.Special Features:
- Great food!KingJay215Dined on 9/19/2014Went out with my girlfriend for restaurant week.Very upscale type rerestaurant with amazing food and great service. I had the fillet mignon, which was amazing, and my girlfriend had the seared salmon, also amazing. I would definitely recommend this place for a date night or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a business lunchRaggyboysVIPDined on 9/19/2014Have taken clients to lunch here twice in the last month and feel it is a good environment for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014Food was very good, seasoned just right. A little too noisy for my tastes. The curtains didn't seem to go with the decor. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Butcher and Singer: the Best!MargaretVIPDined on 9/18/2014With a fabulous waiter, Donovan, and superb food and ambiance, we had all we needed for a fantastic evening! Can't wait to return for salt caramel and chocolate tart, amazing dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience; food OKCindyDined on 9/18/2014We ate off the Restaurant Week menu which was limited. Only beef choice was a hamburger which was very good but did not surpass those I have eaten elsewhere.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week WinDeAdraWDined on 9/17/2014Between my boyfriend and I, we got the 8 oz filet mignon, the chicken, the mashed potatoes, the green beans, the oysters, the salad, and the sorbet and the chocolate tart from the Restaurant Week menu. Everything literally melted in our mouths and was absolutely divine. Our waiter Brian was attentive and friendly without being overbearing, and we both left satisfied. Definitely a great spot for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedQrichDined on 9/17/2014This restaurant has once again been a great dining experience. Server was awesome, food was great. Nice ambiance and great for an early after work dinner with friends or a romantic dinner for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014They seat tables for two too close together, feel like you are dining with another couple.Special Features:
- Best Meal I had in a long time!JRocks888VIPDined on 9/17/2014I was very surprised with this place. Granted it was pricey, but it was worth it. I ordered the salmon and he ordered the filet. Both were cooked just great and the flavoring couldn't get more perfect. The ambiance was nice and the service was just as excellent. We will definitetly come back!Special Features:
- Philly Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014Everything was fantastic! Amazing cocktails, attentive but not overbearing service, and great food. Definitely a place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Daddy did good!PumpsnPampersDined on 9/16/2014We came here for my fiancées Birthday dinner and she absolutely loved it. We have been to every steak restaurant in the Philly area, she had never been here before and I knew she would enjoy it, but it was even better than I thought. Then we walked down the street and had a cigar at the Ashton, we really enjoyed out evening. The Baked Alaska she had for dessert was delectable, we will be back sooner than laterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent.GottoluvfoodDined on 9/16/2014I enjoyed myself and the service was excellent! Great ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveBYOsDined on 9/16/2014One of the best selections for restaurant week! The filet was perfectly prepared with sides included. We had a great experience. Will definitely go back.
- neighborDined on 9/16/2014The food and service were good, not great, and the wine was disappointing for the price ($120).Special Features:
- DeliciousBlueXVIPDined on 9/15/2014Great service, great food. I'd highly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Comfort foodOpenTableaddictDined on 9/15/2014The experience was excellent from entry to service to meal. The price was reasonable for the quality. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great.jojottVIPDined on 9/15/2014Have been here 5 times. Each time dry-aged beef does not disappoint. Service is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super lunchRealtorchefDined on 9/15/2014Clubby atmosphere. Very civilized. Perfect for business or date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightbabybette1VIPDined on 9/14/2014We went for Restaurant Week. I ordered from that menu and my Boyfriend ordered from the regular menu. I eat my steak medium well and he eats his Rare. We are used to issues when we both order steak. They both came out at the same time and perfect. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/14/2014Our cocktails, escargot, and steaks were delicious. We asked for our steaks to be prepared Pittsburgh medium and they were cooked perfectly. Although, I was disappointed that they replaced the regular lamb chops with a mutton chop.
- SJonesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We went during restaurant week. Very friendly and attentive staff. The food was excellent....definitely on my list for a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great location! Great building! The ambiance was perfect!! Food from start to finish was out of this world!!! All six of us enjoyed every second of this restaurant and meal!!!Special Features:
- Best in PhillyDinewithc4Dined on 9/13/2014We have dined at every top notch steak house in philly and this was in the top two if not number one. Everything was perfect down to the baked Alaska (don't miss it ). You will not be disappointed. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.