Butcher & Singer
1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Butcher & Singer
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butcherandsinger.com/
- Phone: 2157324444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00 pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: James Davidson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at 215.923.2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our Special Events Department for more information.
A word from Butcher & Singer
Butcher & Singer, in the amazing historic location at 1500 Walnut, is an intimate and sophisticated dining experience in a relaxed clubhouse setting. We brought back the true classics from perfect Manhattans and Sidecars to dry aged, hand cut steaks and chops, and freshly caught fish. Timeless and fun for all in the continued age of the American chophouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Butcher & Singer - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Butcher & Singer reviews from OpenTable diners
381 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (296)romantic (217)fit for foodies (146)notable wine list (115)good for groups (76)hot spot (55)great for lunch (45)neighborhood gem (38)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Buthcher and singerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014The service and the food were excellent. Restaurant was on the pricey side, but it was well worth it. I would definitely return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazingLilGriffDined on 10/19/2014We went on a Sunday it was quiet the service was excellent and the food was amazing. They serve a carrot cake that melts in your mouth. I was very pleased with everythingSpecial Features:
- Amazing!!!!CoryoDined on 10/18/2014We went here for a special occasion dinner with a group of 4. The food was delicious and the service was over the top amazing! Our waiter Gato was perfect! There exactly when we needed him and he gave great recommendations. Not to mention his cute personality. And Brian, one of the waiters sang happy birthday to my Mom. ; ) Like I said- over the top. Will absolutely come back when I'm in Philly again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Andrea CacceseAndreaDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I found this restaurant to be an amazing venue. The dining room displayed extremely elegant decor with imposing graciousness. The high paneled ceilings and fabulous sound system all swept you into an era of reserved but vibrant pleasure. The Service was impeccable and the cocktails perfect. We ordered Porterhouse for two, which was prepared just as we asked. We have eaten at numerous famous steak houses and this steak equaled or exceeded them all. The oysters were so good we ordered an extra 3, as 6 were just not enough! It was a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Nice NightOutofTownerDined on 10/17/2014We do not live close so we made a special effort to visit the restaurant. It was certainly worth the trip. Great menu, excellent food and nice atmosphere. We plan to return during the upcoming holidays. The baked Alaska is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expecting MorelovetodineoutDined on 10/14/2014Was looking forward to a great meal but was disappointed with it. The breaded shrimp was overcooked and dry while the Brussel sprouts were bland.Special Features:
- Great for our special occassion!!FoodFanaticDined on 10/13/2014We celebrated my boyfriend's birthday there last night. The food was out of this world. We had the Calamari to start and split the Shrimp and Crab Louie salad. The salad was the perfect splitting size. My boyfriend had the Delmonico Steak (recommended by Brian our server) with blue cheese melted on top and I had the filet mignon. We split the hashbrowns and green beans. Try the hashbrowns! Brian recommended almost everything we tried. Brian was a delight and went over the whole menu with us newcomers to the restaurant. When we were too full to order dessert Brian brought my boyfriend out the Baked Alaska dessert for the birthday celebration. I cannot be happier with Butcher and Singer. I am looking forward to going back again!Special Features:
- Butcher and SingerSbmwDined on 10/13/2014Butcher and Singer never disappoints. The service, wine selection and main courses are outstanding. Our veal chop and filet were done to perfection. We make it a point to make a reservation here every time were are in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Nice placedinnerdateduoDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I went to Butcher and Singer for the first time on Saturday. The restaurant was beautiful and the atmosphere was so old school. The service was good, but nothing too notable. The food was delicious. We ordered steak and I got mine with a lobster tail. Both were cooked perfectly. The sides were just ok. We ordered the brussel sprouts, signature fries, and mushrooms. And for our starter we got the escargot, awesome! Dessert was baked Alaska which was gone in two minutes flat. I do think it may be a little over priced for what you get. I may pick a place more like Prime over butcher and singer if I'm looking for a good steak. We didn't try any of the other entrees so I cant speak to those. Overall we had a lovely time.Special Features:
- lobster101VIPDined on 10/9/2014BEst lunch in the city....my friend and I had the burger which is fabulous!!!! SErvice was wonderful !!!! Huge portions and the staff is great!!! Thank you Butcher and Singer...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sometimes it's the little thingsRussDined on 10/8/2014For a great steak, this is the place. The atmosphere and service was good; my one complaint doesn't seem significant, but sometimes it's the little things. Like the busboy who twice grabbed plates away before we were done, and since he didn't understand English I couldn't get him to leave them, though I tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hungryVIPDined on 10/7/2014Terrific steak and comfortable seating and best of all: not much noise at all!! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdaySeaSunDined on 10/4/2014I took my boyfriend to Butcher and Singer for his birthday and every bite was breath taking. Oscar Style is a must!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceIrol8210Dined on 10/4/2014Very nice, but my husband said he steak was very gristly for the price. And material of the floor is very slippery. Every time I go there I'm very close to falling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time around not good !!!DickDined on 10/3/2014Went last fall had a great meal decided to go back for another great meal unfortunatley that did not happen the steak and veg and potato were very salty !!! For what it cost very disappointing !!! Will not go back!!
- Excellent experiencekegdinerDined on 10/2/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by a waiter at the Parc Bistro. Had a great meal of mutton chop (chosen over other enviable cuts of beef). Very professional waiter and learned alot about classic cocktails. Very friendly, old classic environment-very clean and nice. Would go again.Special Features:
- No detail left behind!eliza3Dined on 10/1/2014We were celebrating my Sweetheart's birthday as well as our anniversary which I noted on our reservation request. The evening was perfect from the moment we entered the establishment. We were offered a selection of seating locations, our server was excellent, attentive but not hovering, our meal was PERFECT and the evening ended with our dessert of baked Alaska being bought out with a candle as well as little messages saying Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! THANK YOU for creating a wonderful memory for both of us:)Special Features:
- 5 StarPoshFashionistaDined on 10/1/2014This was an overall fantastic dining experience. I couldn't have picked a better place for my boyfriend's birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence at the finest level!Wilsonsd295Dined on 10/1/2014I previously visited for a lunch and was blown away by the ambiance of this amazing restaurant. I decided to try it for dinner. I brought my date here for our first date, and we both loved it. Sometimes when I go places like this, I often get a lot of eyeballs because of how young I am, but the lights at Butcher & Singer help blind out that unwanted attention. The food was by far the best I have ever had, and the service was phenomenal. The waitress knew we were young and helped to explain the menu for myself and my date.Special Features:
- Fantastic EveningDaveDined on 10/1/2014The service (Zach) was superb and the meal was one of the finest we ever had. The Delmonico was the best steak i have ever eaten and i have dined around the world. Will definitely return with the entire family next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaks, wine and serviceLocaldinerVIPDined on 9/29/2014All too often when dining out the food is not that much better than what I can make at home and the service is disappointing. How wonderful to find a place that exceeds expectations. Cory, our waiter was very attentive but not intrusive. Very nice wine list though I would have organized it differently. Very nice to see half bottles of great wines. We had the Grgich Hills cab. I have eaten at Palm in NY and Atlantic city, Homestead in NY and Luger's in NY. The steaks here are better. Period, end of subject. Not only is the meat more flavorful but perfectly done. The rolls are fresh baked and wonderful. The calamari was also very well done. Not greasy and with a side of fried onions and peppers. Nice touch. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drew saved the dayEddieBDined on 9/29/2014I usually love the food at Butcher and Singer. This particular lunch I had the Butcher Salad and was disappointed. Lots of lettuce and had to search for any meat or cheese. Overall just bland and uninteresting. The onion soup was superb however. Thanks to Drew our server who was a breath of fresh air and the soup it was still enjoyable. Drew was fun, attentive and had just the right amount of personality. Next time I will be smarter and order meat in a great steak house...Special Features:
- Great everythingdiner09390913Dined on 9/28/2014My girlfriend and I went to Butcher and Singer for our anniversary dinner and we were blown away by the entire meal. Everyone from the hostess to the waiter were outgoing, informative, and very accommodating. This is a friendly, upscale dining experience with excellent food and drink choices. Ask for our waiter, Drew, he was awesome and super helpful!Special Features:
- Great nightDine4funDined on 9/27/2014Food and service was top notch. The atmosphere is beautiful, lots of dark wood, cozy arm chairs,and plush cozy booths. Filet was perfect and their special hash brown side dish is a must try. Service was spot on. Great special occasion spot. Pricey steakhouse but we were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DgeofbmgVIPDined on 9/27/2014Have been here twice in the past month. Both times excellent food -- great steaks. The atmosphere is lively and on a packed night can be loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Can't beat B and S for an outstanding steak and sides...Tops in Philly...An elegant experience with a casual ease....Special Features:
- the resturant was for the lovers ifortheloversDined on 9/27/2014My husband took me for our wedding anniversary this weekend and it was amazing. The resturant itself is so beautiful it gives you that 1920's glamour for rich. The food was top notch. I recommend any of their steaks and we had the escargo which was great. It was very pricey but it was worth every dime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great expectationsMerryMaryDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I had one night in Philadelphia and were looking for a good, grown up dining experience. Butcher and Singer exceeded expectation. The decor was warm and welcoming, the acoustics so good that we thought the background jazz music was live. Oh yes, the food was wonderful, made to order and the wine list meet the approval of my discerning husband. The staff were very friendly and attentive - props to waitress, Jen. We will definitely will recommend it to our friends and colleagues.Special Features:
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/26/2014My husband had I have been to Butcher and Singer multiple times over the past five years for dinner. It is a favorite for the good steak and very nice wine list. And last Friday night was no different. From the Montauk oysters to the porterhouse for two to the Singer fries it was all delicious. Additionally, both our waiter and the sommelier were attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steakJGTKMADined on 9/26/2014We went to B&S for my husbands 43rd birthday. It was beyond delicious. I had the filet and he the surf and turf. We had creamy spinach, string beans amandine, and garlic mash. Finished up with champagne and baked Alaska. Fantastic in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!food3reviewDined on 9/25/2014Will definitely return! Well priced for the amount of food, huge portion sizes. Everything was well made and waiter was spectacular. Friendly, made great suggestions and not over attentive. Atmosphere was great, just like the website and easy to hear/ see. Welcomes kids and noise is quieted by hanging curtains. Easy to have a private conversation without feeling cramped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchbnspiredVIPDined on 9/25/2014Delmonico with Oscar style was outstanding! Service was timely, non-intrusive, and first class. Atmosphere is really neat with high ceilings that enable noise to dissipate and have a dinner conversation with everyone at the table (5 in our party).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An elegant lunch spotLisaLivingstonDined on 9/25/2014Butcher & Singer is a beautifully decorated restaurant, and the food is delicious. I ordered the crab cake appetizer and pan roasted salmon. My boss loved the French onion soup which he said is the best he has ever tasted. Our waiter, Gato, was attentive and personable. Overall, it was a very pleasant dining experience. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could not have been betterjustamedicDined on 9/24/20141st time here was special occasion with best friend who has been having a rough year. I had said same in comments when reservation was made. We arrived 30 minutes early and at once was transported to another world by the rich woodwork, the parquet flooring - it oozed ambiance. I gave my name the Maitre d offered to seat us immediately or we could relax in the bar. The only negative comment I have for the entire evening is, the chairs at the bar are somewhat low to the ground. Being 6'3" I'm not. My guest took great pleasure in comparing me to "Kindergarten Cop" but, even this added to the enjoyment of the evening. Due to size limit I can't rave enough about the food or wait staff. GET the dry aged Porterhouse!! We WILL BE BACK!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just..wow.AheartJDined on 9/20/2014Had an incredible dinner with my boyfriend for our first anniversary together. The service was impeccable as well as every bit of food and wine. It was the perfect choice all around and I can't wait until we can go again. Such a special night only to be made better by him asking me to marry him! Thank you for a beautiful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!!Freefall1Dined on 9/20/2014This is the third year in a row that we have gone here for our anniversary and as usual it was great!!! The food and service were great! We will be back again!!Special Features:
- Great ambienceSunnyDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant decor flows well and it creates a special feeling for the guests. The service was superb. I saw a waiter pulling a chair out for a guest who was coming back to the table. The staff was constantly looking out for an opportunity to make the experience excellent for the guests. The food was not so impressive. There was not much creativity added to the menu. No "wow" element. Very consistent to what you might expect for a steakhouse restaurant, which does not command the bill you get at the end. Very happy with the service we received, but I did not feel like this was a place that I would die to go back to.
- Not greatJasRDined on 9/19/2014I guess the saying, 'You get what you pay for' really rings true when it comes to this place. My boyfriend and I went for Restaurant Week on September 19th. While I did not mind the food selections, the taste left something to be desired. Perhaps it was because we went on a Friday night and the place was busy or it could have been that the owner of this restaurant wanted the most bang for his buck. Whatever it was, my boyfriend and I both knew upon tasting the mashed potatoes we had ordered to go with our entrees was boxed mashed potatoes. There was no denying that cardboard, instant microwaveable taste. My half baked chicken was ok, the roasted veggies I got on the side equaled about a spoonful...what a joke. Skip this place and the price.Special Features:
- Great food!KingJay215Dined on 9/19/2014Went out with my girlfriend for restaurant week.Very upscale type rerestaurant with amazing food and great service. I had the fillet mignon, which was amazing, and my girlfriend had the seared salmon, also amazing. I would definitely recommend this place for a date night or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a business lunchRaggyboysVIPDined on 9/19/2014Have taken clients to lunch here twice in the last month and feel it is a good environment for a business lunch.Special Features: