Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room
800 Benvenuto Ave
Brentwood Bay, BC V8M 1J8Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butchartgardens.com/dining/dining-room
- Phone: 2506528222x
- Hours of Operation:
Afternoon Tea: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm (served April 1 - September 30)
High Tea: Monday -Sunday 12:00pm - 3:00pm (served October 1 - March 31)
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm (served April 1 - September 30)
Dinner service resumes June 15 - September 15 & December 1 - January 6
- Payment Options: Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea, Northwest, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Travis Hansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: The Butchart Gardens Entertainment Calendar can be found at http://www.butchartgardens.com/activities/calendar/
- Cross Street: Wallace Drive
- Public Transit: From downtown Victoria, you should take bus #30 or #31, then transfer to bus #75 (at the Royal Oak exchange) which comes right to The Gardens. For BC Transit schedules visit
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Dining Room Restaurant is located within The Butchart Gardens, so admission to The Gardens is required. You will be guided to your complimentary parking spot.
A word from Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room
Enjoy the stunning floral display gardens, plus the restaurant's historic surroundings and contemporary, fresh local foods. Located in the original Butchart family residence, you can experience spectacular views of the Private Garden, the Italian Garden and Tod Inlet. Indulge in Afternoon Tea in our Spring and Summer seasons, or our High Tea which offers more warm savories from October through the winter months. Lunch and dinner are served seasonally with a strong presence of local sustainable ingredients. Choose from our award winning showcase of Vancouver Island wines. Enjoy adding to your awareness and appreciation of local grapes and vintners. Please note that admission to The Butchart Gardens is required in order to access The Dining Room Restaurant. Our current admission rates are at www.butchartgardens.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Central Saanich ›
Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (151)special occasion (136)great for outdoor dining (101)romantic (101)great for lunch (76)fit for foodies (59)great for brunch (51)good for groups (25)notable wine list (23)kid-friendly (18)neighborhood gem (16)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Tea for TwoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014We combined a visit to the world-renowned Butchart Gardens and Victorian high tea into one splendid affair. Before traveling to Victoria this time, I did a little more research on high tea service, as I had already had tea at The Empress. The Empress serves a nice tea and has a good view, but the price is almost double and the food/tea is not as good. When I made my reservation, I added a note that I would like a window table as this was my birthday celebration. We were seated in the conservatory with a beautiful view of the gardens. We each chose our own blend of tea (temperature and taste were perfect). The tiered sweet and savory food items were delicious and beautifully arranged and included a "Happy Birthday" note in chocolate.Special Features:
- tea was perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014The tea was perfect. some of the sandwich were not very suitable for my Chinese stomach. the first dessert was very tasty.Special Features:
- RecommendedabdanceDined on 9/11/2014We took a couple of our out of country friends and had lunch here. Just the ticket!!Special Features:
- Great Gluten Free Option!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014From the quality of food and tea, to the amount of food (enough to count as a meal), to the incredible view, it's a not to miss experience. The way they dealt with my gluten intolerance was phenomenal. All the same foods were offered, just on different breads and prepared with different flours. I was so impressed! The outdoor seating with the view of the gardens was the icing on the cake. We had initially planned to go to the Fairmont for this experience, but with the time crunch to get back to the ferry and the fact that it was double the cost, I am so happy with our decision to stay at Butchart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops the Flowers!PetersburgsueDined on 9/10/2014How we loved being in Mrs. Butchart's conservatory eating innovative cuisine, filled already to the brim with the dahlias and hydrageas. Everyone so friendly, the food so elegant, the sun through the windows evoking earlier times in the gardens. It is an island of gracious hospitality.Special Features:
- Great venue, outstanding viewKenniperDined on 9/9/2014What else would you expect from Butchart Gardens?! Nothing but the best. Great location with gorgeous views of the gardens. Outside seating was spectacular although can be a bit cool in the shade. Menu was respectable and food was tasty and well presented. Would definitely eat here again!.Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Our waiter, Phillip, made an already spectacular tea, memorable. What a perfect combination of respectfulness, playfulness, competence and charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodjunkieDined on 9/7/2014Lovely setting; a more traditional tea than most places. I would have liked a selection of a few teas, but they only served us one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!HaruDined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed Afternoon Tea there! It was awesome!! Staffs are so kind and food is very tasty!! My mom came to Canada for sightseeing from Japan. So for us, that time is special!! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Afternoon Teas in Victoriaspirit2001Dined on 9/4/2014Beautiful view of gardens, excellent service, delicious food. Staff works hard to pamper you and cater to your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at a special placeUpnorthDined on 9/4/2014The Butchart Gardens were absolutely one of the most incredible places I have every been. And after spending the morning in aw of those gardens, the dinning room at the gardens was a perfect place to enjoy delicious food and wine. It was a quiet escape from the crowds at the garden. My Waldorf salad was done perfectly.Special Features:
- MagicaldcrdcrVIPDined on 9/3/2014We had afternoon tea in the skylit garden room. Tea was perfect. They are very accommodating with any dietary needs. Food was superb and so plentiful we had to have some wrapped to take with. They kept it in their refrigerator for us while we toured the gardens. Was a terrific value for the money also. Much less than at Empress tea room and just as lovely. We saw cuoples celebrating their anniversary there. Nice way to do that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange servicePatrickVIPDined on 9/3/2014We were seated at a lovely table overlooking the gardens, but admittedly it was probably the furthest one from the entrance. But when our waitress brought us our bill and said "this is so far from my station when you are ready to pay could you meet me half way by the kitchen door" we were simply stunned. This is not a Taco Bell, but a place that pretends to be very upscale. If a server can't even walk back to your table to pick up your payment something is dramatically wrong. The food was good. Of course it's very overpriced, but then look at where it is -- a very special place -- so no real complaint there.
- Good feelingAussievisitorsDined on 8/30/2014We had a lovely experience with friends from Australia. Everyone enjoyed their meal, the Oculus wine, and the excellent service by the waitress. The only drawback was the wait for our reserved table. We also enjoyed the view of the flowers, the excellent background music, and the back room where we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything & MorePacificNWerDined on 8/30/2014It was perfect, I let them know it was our anniversary when making the reservation and we had the best table imaginable out on the balcony with a dazzling vista of the gardens! We are foodies so have high expectations and they were all met by the refreshing menu. I even had one of the best wines in a long time and it was from the Okanagan Valley of BC. When our dessert arrived they had a big sheet of chocolate all decorated and the words Happy Anniversary in beautiful lettering added to it, a sweet touch. Loved the rose sorbet! Such a different flavor combination with the chocolate torte. We will definitely be back!Strolling the gardens before dinner and the fireworks after made for a perfect anniversary outing!Special Features:
- SerenitygpointsDined on 8/29/2014Dining the way it was intended to be - great service, perfectly light fresh bites to eat, and surrounded by beauty everywhere the eye travels. The mussels and small salad were sublimeSpecial Features:
- Birthday at Butchart!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014I surprised my husband with a 65th birthday trip to Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria. He has had Butchart Gardens on his bucket list for years. We visited the gardens in the morning...and then instead of high tea, we returned back to the Dining Room at Butchart Gardens for dinner. It was a wonderful evening and we were able to sit outside overlooking the lawn. There was also a concert that night which was wonderful background noise for dinner. The staff was wonderful and we had an excellent meal. It's a bit pricey but well worth it for a special occasion!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014One of the best days I have spent on holiday anywhere with excellent service, food and the spectacular surroundings of Butchart Gardens. We were able to dine early in the evening to ensure one of the best tables on the terrace to enjoy a relaxed and delicious dinner incorporating fullest flavours, visually stunning courses, attentive but discreet service. We originally booked our reservation online through the website which was easy to follow and very informative. Must spend at least one full day here as a paradise of stunning views beautifully crowned with exquisite cuisine. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeautifulHungryDined on 8/26/2014We've been coming here every other summer and always head for Buchart Gadens. This time we brought friends along and had a beautiful evening. Have always had wonderful meals here overlooking the lovely gardens.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerJerryBDined on 8/24/2014We visited Butchart Gardens during the day and returned for our dinner reservations. Service, food and ambiance were all excellent. We would highly recommend this location for the dining experience as well as the beautiful gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Lovely tea and beautiful setting. Had vegetarian tea option for my friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful time!!loveflowersDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant sits in the middle of the Butchart gardens and you are dining surrounded by the beautiful flowers. There were three of us and each of us enjoyed our meal. Our server was very friendly and attentive. I would highly recommend visiting.Special Features:
- celebrating 45OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great food. Lovely surroundings. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. Wish we lived closer to the Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special experienceHappyCoipleDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I celebrated our 38th Wedding Anniversary at an early evening dinner. It was wonderful from beginning to end! Our waitress was a consummate professional and paced our dinner in a way that gave us just the right amount time to savor the experience!Special Features:
- Tea time!Ks1995Dined on 8/23/2014Waitstaff was excellent! Food was tasty and great presentation. Very accommodating for all my friends dietary needs! Would have only loved to have my own teapot and cuter teapot vs the stainless steel..!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Thank you for a lovely High Tea at your dining room. It was my mom's 80th Birthday and it was so nice that we had 'high tea for two' complimentary from the Butchart Gardens. It was a very memorable occasion for us. A cherished memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea With My GranddaughterNanaDined on 8/22/2014To celebrate her 8th birthday, my granddaughter said she'd like to go out for tea. Since she'd never been there before, I surprised her with a day at Butchart Gardens. Noelle loves all things "pretty," so she was delighted with our tea in what I'd call the conservatory part of the dining room - sunny, sophisticated, and surrounded by flowers. Knowing that it was her birthday celebration, the staff brought her berry trifle with a candle in it (yes, I was happy to pay extra so we could both eat trifle). How much fun was that - eating dessert first!!!! The servers were very attentive, especially to the sweet eight-year-old girl all dressed up for afternoon tea. I would highly recommend this as a wonderful treat for somebody special.Special Features:
- PRICY BUT GOODKnSBowDined on 8/22/2014WE ENJOYED THE AMBIENCE, SERVICE WAS EXCELLANT. I OBJECT TO BEING TOLD TO WRITE A REVIEW OF A CERTAIN LENGTH. DON'T SPOIL A GOOD THINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming for TealoriDined on 8/22/2014My mom and I had the afternoon tea outside. Beautiful view, fun to sit outside, lovely selection of teas and goodies. Wonderful, knowledgeable waiter who enjoyed talking with us about the teas and the gardens. We tried the rose tea and berry tea; both were delightful. A nice treat to add to your day at the garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon TeachapluvditDined on 8/21/2014We (2) went for a birthday celebration and had the "Afternoon Tea". It very much lived up to its "hype" and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The service was very good and the friendly staff enhanced the experience. It was expensive, but that was expected, and it was what made the uniqueness the more pleasurable. The food itself was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingphimumomDined on 8/20/2014Lovely spot for taking a break from viewing the beautiful gardens. Unchh was lovely. The afternoon tea was beautifully prepared and served. We wished we had had tea there instead of at the EmpressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paying for the view...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014We recently went there for an evening meal & definitely paid for the view, which as gorgeous! The food was okay, I had to send back my steak & my server wasn't super nice about it. Water & coffee wasn't refilled often & it took 45 minutes before our food came out.Special Features:
- Lunch among the flowersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Charming setting, very nice food but menu choices are a bit peculuar.... aix of excellent and humdrum. Well priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful surpriseBubeeJoyDined on 8/18/2014We recently went for dinner with my parents to the dining room at the Butchart Gardens. The meal was wonderful, the food beautifully presented, and the service was truly outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Treat at the GardensoceantechDined on 8/18/2014We recently re-visited the Dining Room before a wonderful open-air concert - Pink Martini. A true special event that all married couples should do at least once a year - she's worth it you cheapskate husbands out there. Next year I hope the concert series expands even more - here are my favorite suggestions: Bruce Hornsby, Chris Botti (awesome!), Pat Metheney (if you can get him) and Bruce Cockburn - anytime.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014The atmosphere was heavenly, the food was great!! Wonderful spot for a wedding, romantic dinner or just a special night.Special Features:
- Sit Back Enjoy View, Tea & ServiceBookaholicDined on 8/17/2014It is one thing to enjoy walking through the splendid gardens. However, it is well worth sitting and savoring the view while being pampered during tea. Service is impeccable, warm and gracious. Tea was more then tiny sandwiches and limited pastries. Three tiers of foods, starting with two of each choice of sandwich: cucumber, chicken curry, egg salad, quiche, sausage bun, salmon pinwheel. Pastries, once again two of each, poppy seed cake, chocolate opera cake, raspberry & white chocolate 4 square, raspberry macarrons and house truffles. Lastly, two ginger scones with cream and jam....Be aware.... you start with wild blueberry trifle...and your choice of tea...sit back and enjoy the view... allow yourself to honestly enjoy the gardens.Special Features:
- ChrisdenDined on 8/16/2014Phillip did a wonderful job as well as his assistants. We had a wonderful experience and very reasonably priced! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Dining ExperienceIreneCDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I both agree that the Afternoon Tea at The Dining Room was one of the highlights at Butchart Gardens. We made reservations a month in advance and were seated right away. The service was polite and prompt. Food and tea was amazing and delicious. Our favorites were the scones and German sausage roll. Chicken curry sandwich was pretty tasty too! Such a nice touch to an already beautiful day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy evening, an historic settingLandLDined on 8/15/2014The Dining Room at Butchart Gardens tops off a visit to the beautful gardens. It's a quiet, elegant space in the original home of the Butchart family. The service was a good balance of attentiveness without hovering. The menu is not extensive, but nicely balanced, although not particilarly creative. Every course was beautifully presented and very tasty. This is a restaurant for a special occasion as it is somewhat pricy. However, the lovely old building with views over the gardens is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.