Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room
800 Benvenuto Ave
Brentwood Bay, BC V8M 1J8Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butchartgardens.com/dining/dining-room
- Phone: (250) 652-8222
- Hours of Operation:
Afternoon Tea: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm (served April 1 - September 30)
High Tea: Monday -Sunday 12:00pm - 3:00pm (served October 1 - March 31)
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm (served April 1 - September 30)
Dinner service resumes June 15 - September 15 & December 1 - January 6
- Payment Options: Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea, Northwest, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Travis Hansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: The Butchart Gardens Entertainment Calendar can be found at http://www.butchartgardens.com/activities/calendar/
- Cross Street: Wallace Drive
- Public Transit: From downtown Victoria, you should take bus #30 or #31, then transfer to bus #75 (at the Royal Oak exchange) which comes right to The Gardens. For BC Transit schedules visit
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Dining Room Restaurant is located within The Butchart Gardens, so admission to The Gardens is required. You will be guided to your complimentary parking spot.
A word from Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room
Enjoy the stunning floral display gardens, plus the restaurant's historic surroundings and contemporary, fresh local foods. Located in the original Butchart family residence, you can experience spectacular views of the Private Garden, the Italian Garden and Tod Inlet. Indulge in Afternoon Tea in our Spring and Summer seasons, or our High Tea which offers more warm savories from October through the winter months. Lunch and dinner are served seasonally with a strong presence of local sustainable ingredients. Choose from our award winning showcase of Vancouver Island wines. Enjoy adding to your awareness and appreciation of local grapes and vintners. Please note that admission to The Butchart Gardens is required in order to access The Dining Room Restaurant. Our current admission rates are at www.butchartgardens.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Central Saanich ›
Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (111)special occasion (100)romantic (78)great for outdoor dining (68)great for lunch (56)fit for foodies (49)great for brunch (35)good for groups (19)notable wine list (17)neighborhood gem (15)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- Outstanding in every way!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/22/2014Everything about the experience was exquisite! It is without a doubt the best high tea I have ever had. Service was excellent as well. We felt totally pampered and indulged in the best possible way.Special Features:
- Lovely afternoon, a Celiac Delight!IggiDined on 10/19/2014Splendid day! Excellent care of my Celiac level, gluten-free diet! Thank you so much. Excellent service, and wonderful tea, with delicious treats on the High tea, tiered plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional High TeasaigeDined on 10/7/2014Enjoyed the High Tea service. Food was better than the Empress and a better value. Seating was a little snug, but didnt detract from the wonderful ambiance. Service was exemplary and never felt rushed. Would highly recommend to everyone when they visit the Butchart Gardens!Special Features:
- Couldn't be betterkitj4Dined on 10/7/2014We had a wonderful afternoon tea experience at the Butchart Gardens. The atmosphere, waiter, food and setting were simply unforgettable. Glad we had made reservations as every table appeared to be in use. We had a party of 4 and each ordered a separate flavor of tea so we could share and sample. My personal favorite was Bachelor Button. Food was delicious and we ended up taking some dessert home as well as a few to go cups of tea. I will remember this experience fondly! Thanks for an unforgettable day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Occasion almost ruinedIlovethegardensDined on 9/28/2014I took a friend to tea for her 50th birthday. We both love the gardens and go often. The traditional tea was really fun but the occasion was almost ruined by the unpleasant hostess. Even though we had a reservation she sat us at the worst table in the place saying that everyone there had a reservation. I told her it was a special occasion and asked if we could wait for a better table and was told it would be at least an hour. She wasn't in the least apologetic. We sat and five minutes later, before our tea arrived, a much nicer table emptied and our kind waitress very obligingly moved us to a lovely spot with a view of the garden. Many thanks to our waitress who did her best to recover the situation.Special Features:
- epicuriandinerDined on 9/26/2014Beautiful experience. Pricey menu. Food is good and so is the presentation.Special Features:
- Great Meal !ChuckDined on 9/26/2014The food, room and service was excellent. I would recommend this tea to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The Gardens are spectacular and the wait staff are excellent.Special Features:
- Great placegooddiningDined on 9/25/2014The food and service were both wonderful. The only reason I gave it a 4 overall is because we were sitting next to a table where a meeting was being held. There were 8 people, and they were rather loud. Our waitress realized what was going on, and comped our dessert for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencemrkuenDined on 9/20/2014I enjoyed afternoon tea and beautiful gardens. I enjoyed various delicious foods and cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was quite disappointed in lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014The food list was underwhelming. I have never seen a more difficult menu to find something that could be eaten. I will say the mussels were wonderful. Everything else was not my what I would order. The tea and carb trey looked good, but not of my dietary preference.Special Features:
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014We were belatedly celebrating my husband's 65th, as I had a bad accident that spoiled our original plans. Butchart was a true pleasure, as was the high tea. Thank you for the lovely service and perfect setting.Special Features:
- Garden elegance14lochlassVIPDined on 9/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at Butchart. We dined inside amidst flowers in a room with a greenhouse feel and garden view. The salmon salad was beautifully presented and delicious. We also highly recommend adding the boat tour to make your Butchart experience complete.Special Features:
- Tea for TwoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014We combined a visit to the world-renowned Butchart Gardens and Victorian high tea into one splendid affair. Before traveling to Victoria this time, I did a little more research on high tea service, as I had already had tea at The Empress. The Empress serves a nice tea and has a good view, but the price is almost double and the food/tea is not as good. When I made my reservation, I added a note that I would like a window table as this was my birthday celebration. We were seated in the conservatory with a beautiful view of the gardens. We each chose our own blend of tea (temperature and taste were perfect). The tiered sweet and savory food items were delicious and beautifully arranged and included a "Happy Birthday" note in chocolate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014We made a special day out of visiting the Garden. The experience was wonderful and would recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- tea was perfectheye68Dined on 9/12/2014The tea was perfect. some of the sandwich were not very suitable for my Chinese stomach. the first dessert was very tasty.Special Features:
- RecommendedabdanceDined on 9/11/2014We took a couple of our out of country friends and had lunch here. Just the ticket!!Special Features:
- Great Gluten Free Option!FamishedDined on 9/11/2014From the quality of food and tea, to the amount of food (enough to count as a meal), to the incredible view, it's a not to miss experience. The way they dealt with my gluten intolerance was phenomenal. All the same foods were offered, just on different breads and prepared with different flours. I was so impressed! The outdoor seating with the view of the gardens was the icing on the cake. We had initially planned to go to the Fairmont for this experience, but with the time crunch to get back to the ferry and the fact that it was double the cost, I am so happy with our decision to stay at Butchart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops the Flowers!PetersburgsueDined on 9/10/2014How we loved being in Mrs. Butchart's conservatory eating innovative cuisine, filled already to the brim with the dahlias and hydrageas. Everyone so friendly, the food so elegant, the sun through the windows evoking earlier times in the gardens. It is an island of gracious hospitality.Special Features:
- Great venue, outstanding viewKenniperDined on 9/9/2014What else would you expect from Butchart Gardens?! Nothing but the best. Great location with gorgeous views of the gardens. Outside seating was spectacular although can be a bit cool in the shade. Menu was respectable and food was tasty and well presented. Would definitely eat here again!.Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Our waiter, Phillip, made an already spectacular tea, memorable. What a perfect combination of respectfulness, playfulness, competence and charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodjunkieDined on 9/7/2014Lovely setting; a more traditional tea than most places. I would have liked a selection of a few teas, but they only served us one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!HaruDined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed Afternoon Tea there! It was awesome!! Staffs are so kind and food is very tasty!! My mom came to Canada for sightseeing from Japan. So for us, that time is special!! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Afternoon Teas in Victoriaspirit2001Dined on 9/4/2014Beautiful view of gardens, excellent service, delicious food. Staff works hard to pamper you and cater to your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at a special placeUpnorthDined on 9/4/2014The Butchart Gardens were absolutely one of the most incredible places I have every been. And after spending the morning in aw of those gardens, the dinning room at the gardens was a perfect place to enjoy delicious food and wine. It was a quiet escape from the crowds at the garden. My Waldorf salad was done perfectly.Special Features:
- MagicaldcrdcrVIPDined on 9/3/2014We had afternoon tea in the skylit garden room. Tea was perfect. They are very accommodating with any dietary needs. Food was superb and so plentiful we had to have some wrapped to take with. They kept it in their refrigerator for us while we toured the gardens. Was a terrific value for the money also. Much less than at Empress tea room and just as lovely. We saw cuoples celebrating their anniversary there. Nice way to do that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strange servicePatrickVIPDined on 9/3/2014We were seated at a lovely table overlooking the gardens, but admittedly it was probably the furthest one from the entrance. But when our waitress brought us our bill and said "this is so far from my station when you are ready to pay could you meet me half way by the kitchen door" we were simply stunned. This is not a Taco Bell, but a place that pretends to be very upscale. If a server can't even walk back to your table to pick up your payment something is dramatically wrong. The food was good. Of course it's very overpriced, but then look at where it is -- a very special place -- so no real complaint there.
- Good feelingAussievisitorsDined on 8/30/2014We had a lovely experience with friends from Australia. Everyone enjoyed their meal, the Oculus wine, and the excellent service by the waitress. The only drawback was the wait for our reserved table. We also enjoyed the view of the flowers, the excellent background music, and the back room where we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything & MorePacificNWerDined on 8/30/2014It was perfect, I let them know it was our anniversary when making the reservation and we had the best table imaginable out on the balcony with a dazzling vista of the gardens! We are foodies so have high expectations and they were all met by the refreshing menu. I even had one of the best wines in a long time and it was from the Okanagan Valley of BC. When our dessert arrived they had a big sheet of chocolate all decorated and the words Happy Anniversary in beautiful lettering added to it, a sweet touch. Loved the rose sorbet! Such a different flavor combination with the chocolate torte. We will definitely be back!Strolling the gardens before dinner and the fireworks after made for a perfect anniversary outing!Special Features:
- SerenitygpointsDined on 8/29/2014Dining the way it was intended to be - great service, perfectly light fresh bites to eat, and surrounded by beauty everywhere the eye travels. The mussels and small salad were sublimeSpecial Features:
- Birthday at Butchart!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014I surprised my husband with a 65th birthday trip to Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria. He has had Butchart Gardens on his bucket list for years. We visited the gardens in the morning...and then instead of high tea, we returned back to the Dining Room at Butchart Gardens for dinner. It was a wonderful evening and we were able to sit outside overlooking the lawn. There was also a concert that night which was wonderful background noise for dinner. The staff was wonderful and we had an excellent meal. It's a bit pricey but well worth it for a special occasion!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014One of the best days I have spent on holiday anywhere with excellent service, food and the spectacular surroundings of Butchart Gardens. We were able to dine early in the evening to ensure one of the best tables on the terrace to enjoy a relaxed and delicious dinner incorporating fullest flavours, visually stunning courses, attentive but discreet service. We originally booked our reservation online through the website which was easy to follow and very informative. Must spend at least one full day here as a paradise of stunning views beautifully crowned with exquisite cuisine. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeautifulHungryDined on 8/26/2014We've been coming here every other summer and always head for Buchart Gadens. This time we brought friends along and had a beautiful evening. Have always had wonderful meals here overlooking the lovely gardens.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerJerryBDined on 8/24/2014We visited Butchart Gardens during the day and returned for our dinner reservations. Service, food and ambiance were all excellent. We would highly recommend this location for the dining experience as well as the beautiful gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Lovely tea and beautiful setting. Had vegetarian tea option for my friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful time!!loveflowersDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant sits in the middle of the Butchart gardens and you are dining surrounded by the beautiful flowers. There were three of us and each of us enjoyed our meal. Our server was very friendly and attentive. I would highly recommend visiting.Special Features:
- celebrating 45OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great food. Lovely surroundings. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. Wish we lived closer to the Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special experienceHappyCoipleDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I celebrated our 38th Wedding Anniversary at an early evening dinner. It was wonderful from beginning to end! Our waitress was a consummate professional and paced our dinner in a way that gave us just the right amount time to savor the experience!Special Features:
- Tea time!Ks1995Dined on 8/23/2014Waitstaff was excellent! Food was tasty and great presentation. Very accommodating for all my friends dietary needs! Would have only loved to have my own teapot and cuter teapot vs the stainless steel..!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Thank you for a lovely High Tea at your dining room. It was my mom's 80th Birthday and it was so nice that we had 'high tea for two' complimentary from the Butchart Gardens. It was a very memorable occasion for us. A cherished memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.