Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room
800 Benvenuto Ave
Brentwood Bay, BC V8M 1J8Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.butchartgardens.com/dining/dining-room
- Phone: 2506528222x
- Hours of Operation:
Afternoon Tea: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm (served April 1 - September 30)
High Tea: Monday -Sunday 12:00pm - 3:00pm (served October 1 - March 31)
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm (served April 1 - September 30)
Dinner service resumes June 15 - September 15 & December 1 - January 6
- Payment Options: Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Afternoon Tea, Northwest, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Travis Hansen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: The Butchart Gardens Entertainment Calendar can be found at http://www.butchartgardens.com/activities/calendar/
- Cross Street: Wallace Drive
- Public Transit: From downtown Victoria, you should take bus #30 or #31, then transfer to bus #75 (at the Royal Oak exchange) which comes right to The Gardens. For BC Transit schedules visit
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: The Dining Room Restaurant is located within The Butchart Gardens, so admission to The Gardens is required. You will be guided to your complimentary parking spot.
A word from Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room
Enjoy the stunning floral display gardens, plus the restaurant's historic surroundings and contemporary, fresh local foods. Located in the original Butchart family residence, you can experience spectacular views of the Private Garden, the Italian Garden and Tod Inlet. Indulge in Afternoon Tea in our Spring and Summer seasons, or our High Tea which offers more warm savories from October through the winter months. Lunch and dinner are served seasonally with a strong presence of local sustainable ingredients. Choose from our award winning showcase of Vancouver Island wines. Enjoy adding to your awareness and appreciation of local grapes and vintners. Please note that admission to The Butchart Gardens is required in order to access The Dining Room Restaurant. Our current admission rates are at www.butchartgardens.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room - Best Restaurants in Central Saanich ›
Butchart Gardens - The Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (135)special occasion (120)great for outdoor dining (88)romantic (87)great for lunch (69)great for brunch (49)fit for foodies (47)good for groups (22)notable wine list (22)kid-friendly (16)neighborhood gem (13)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good feelingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had a lovely experience with friends from Australia. Everyone enjoyed their meal, the Oculus wine, and the excellent service by the waitress. The only drawback was the wait for our reserved table. We also enjoyed the view of the flowers, the excellent background music, and the back room where we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday at Butchart!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014I surprised my husband with a 65th birthday trip to Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria. He has had Butchart Gardens on his bucket list for years. We visited the gardens in the morning...and then instead of high tea, we returned back to the Dining Room at Butchart Gardens for dinner. It was a wonderful evening and we were able to sit outside overlooking the lawn. There was also a concert that night which was wonderful background noise for dinner. The staff was wonderful and we had an excellent meal. It's a bit pricey but well worth it for a special occasion!Special Features:
- BeautifulHungryDined on 8/26/2014We've been coming here every other summer and always head for Buchart Gadens. This time we brought friends along and had a beautiful evening. Have always had wonderful meals here overlooking the lovely gardens.Special Features:
- Afternoon TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014Lovely tea and beautiful setting. Had vegetarian tea option for my friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful time!!loveflowersDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant sits in the middle of the Butchart gardens and you are dining surrounded by the beautiful flowers. There were three of us and each of us enjoyed our meal. Our server was very friendly and attentive. I would highly recommend visiting.Special Features:
- celebrating 45OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great food. Lovely surroundings. We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. Wish we lived closer to the Gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special experienceHappyCoipleDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I celebrated our 38th Wedding Anniversary at an early evening dinner. It was wonderful from beginning to end! Our waitress was a consummate professional and paced our dinner in a way that gave us just the right amount time to savor the experience!Special Features:
- Tea time!Ks1995Dined on 8/23/2014Waitstaff was excellent! Food was tasty and great presentation. Very accommodating for all my friends dietary needs! Would have only loved to have my own teapot and cuter teapot vs the stainless steel..!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High TeaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Thank you for a lovely High Tea at your dining room. It was my mom's 80th Birthday and it was so nice that we had 'high tea for two' complimentary from the Butchart Gardens. It was a very memorable occasion for us. A cherished memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tea With My GranddaughterNanaDined on 8/22/2014To celebrate her 8th birthday, my granddaughter said she'd like to go out for tea. Since she'd never been there before, I surprised her with a day at Butchart Gardens. Noelle loves all things "pretty," so she was delighted with our tea in what I'd call the conservatory part of the dining room - sunny, sophisticated, and surrounded by flowers. Knowing that it was her birthday celebration, the staff brought her berry trifle with a candle in it (yes, I was happy to pay extra so we could both eat trifle). How much fun was that - eating dessert first!!!! The servers were very attentive, especially to the sweet eight-year-old girl all dressed up for afternoon tea. I would highly recommend this as a wonderful treat for somebody special.Special Features:
- PRICY BUT GOODKnSBowDined on 8/22/2014WE ENJOYED THE AMBIENCE, SERVICE WAS EXCELLANT. I OBJECT TO BEING TOLD TO WRITE A REVIEW OF A CERTAIN LENGTH. DON'T SPOIL A GOOD THINGSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon TeachapluvditDined on 8/21/2014We (2) went for a birthday celebration and had the "Afternoon Tea". It very much lived up to its "hype" and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The service was very good and the friendly staff enhanced the experience. It was expensive, but that was expected, and it was what made the uniqueness the more pleasurable. The food itself was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingphimumomDined on 8/20/2014Lovely spot for taking a break from viewing the beautiful gardens. Unchh was lovely. The afternoon tea was beautifully prepared and served. We wished we had had tea there instead of at the EmpressSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paying for the view...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/19/2014We recently went there for an evening meal & definitely paid for the view, which as gorgeous! The food was okay, I had to send back my steak & my server wasn't super nice about it. Water & coffee wasn't refilled often & it took 45 minutes before our food came out.Special Features:
- Lunch among the flowersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Charming setting, very nice food but menu choices are a bit peculuar.... aix of excellent and humdrum. Well priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful surpriseBubeeJoyDined on 8/18/2014We recently went for dinner with my parents to the dining room at the Butchart Gardens. The meal was wonderful, the food beautifully presented, and the service was truly outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Treat at the GardensoceantechDined on 8/18/2014We recently re-visited the Dining Room before a wonderful open-air concert - Pink Martini. A true special event that all married couples should do at least once a year - she's worth it you cheapskate husbands out there. Next year I hope the concert series expands even more - here are my favorite suggestions: Bruce Hornsby, Chris Botti (awesome!), Pat Metheney (if you can get him) and Bruce Cockburn - anytime.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014The atmosphere was heavenly, the food was great!! Wonderful spot for a wedding, romantic dinner or just a special night.Special Features:
- Sit Back Enjoy View, Tea & ServiceBookaholicDined on 8/17/2014It is one thing to enjoy walking through the splendid gardens. However, it is well worth sitting and savoring the view while being pampered during tea. Service is impeccable, warm and gracious. Tea was more then tiny sandwiches and limited pastries. Three tiers of foods, starting with two of each choice of sandwich: cucumber, chicken curry, egg salad, quiche, sausage bun, salmon pinwheel. Pastries, once again two of each, poppy seed cake, chocolate opera cake, raspberry & white chocolate 4 square, raspberry macarrons and house truffles. Lastly, two ginger scones with cream and jam....Be aware.... you start with wild blueberry trifle...and your choice of tea...sit back and enjoy the view... allow yourself to honestly enjoy the gardens.Special Features:
- ChrisdenDined on 8/16/2014Phillip did a wonderful job as well as his assistants. We had a wonderful experience and very reasonably priced! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular Dining ExperienceIreneCDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I both agree that the Afternoon Tea at The Dining Room was one of the highlights at Butchart Gardens. We made reservations a month in advance and were seated right away. The service was polite and prompt. Food and tea was amazing and delicious. Our favorites were the scones and German sausage roll. Chicken curry sandwich was pretty tasty too! Such a nice touch to an already beautiful day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy evening, an historic settingLandLDined on 8/15/2014The Dining Room at Butchart Gardens tops off a visit to the beautful gardens. It's a quiet, elegant space in the original home of the Butchart family. The service was a good balance of attentiveness without hovering. The menu is not extensive, but nicely balanced, although not particilarly creative. Every course was beautifully presented and very tasty. This is a restaurant for a special occasion as it is somewhat pricy. However, the lovely old building with views over the gardens is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularbzippyDined on 8/13/2014We were celebrating my Mother's 65th Birthday. We were seated on the veranda - gorgeous view of the Gardens and in the background there was music from the band shell. It was magical. The music was a happy accident. I would recommend you check the concert listings and book an outdoor table on band nights. Our server Elizabeth was charming and efficient. The meal was enjoyed by all. Wonderful locally sourced items from the wine, vegetables, and protein.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great afternoon teaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014The afternoon tea was awesome and the service impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining splendor in the gardensmimanpoppyDined on 8/11/2014To celebrate my birthday I spent the afternoon at Butchart Gardens. I decided to book a lunch reservation in the dining room. I was seated to a quiet table outside with a lovely view of the gardens. The service was pleasantly understated, meaning the wait person was there but she left me to enjoy the surroundings and my meal. The lunch menu, while small, had been carefully created. I enjoyed the baked chicken served atop lush fresh greens, fruit and blue cheese. It could not have been more enjoyable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2014The tea is enough to share between two people. The best thing about having tea here is getting to sit outside with a view of the gardens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014We had a great seat outside on the patio on Saturday night. It was absolutely perfect, right down to the to-go mugs for our coffee so we could take them along to watch the fireworks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceLaveenDined on 8/9/2014The staff was very personable and friendly, the food was cooked perfectly and was very flavorful, the ambiance was very nice, and the view of the Italian courtyard was beautiful. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon Tea is excellenthiteaDined on 8/9/2014Booked a table of 5 at 2:45pm online. The traditional British Afternoon Tea is awesome!!! Everything looks adorable, especially a wide range of cakes and pastries. You can taste the food while enjoy a great scene. But the sweeties might be too much to be eaten at once, and you can pack it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- H4M56Dined on 8/8/2014For a special occasion, time and money well spent. Service superlative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Butchart Dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Unable to guarantee an outdoor table on a reservation due to priority to first come first serve when crowded at lunch time/ Afternoon tea. Did not like back room overlooking Italian garden as too easy to hear everyone else speaking, front larger room better indoors near a window but not a great view. Italian garden is the exit point for all visitors so very busy and not a romantic quiet garden view. Afternoon tea food and service great. We had dinner as well sat outdoors which was quieter later in the day 7pm when less crowded. Steak over done vegetables under done and soup microwaved too hot.Special Features:
- Our Waiter was a ZombieHappicoastgirlDined on 8/5/2014We had one of the most complex tasting, yet simply and elegantly presented dinners imaginable at the Butchart Gardens Dining Room. Every morsel was truly exquisite. However, we were seated in an undesirable corner with wait staff whisking through a nearby door every minute or so. Our main complaint was the waiter, who somehow thought that unsmilingly attending our needs every 20 minutes would suffice. Water and wine glasses remained unfilled; we waited at least 15 minutes for our plates to be cleared. Nothing was done without requesting it, which, with three potential attendants (the waiter, a water person, and a bread/remove things person) seemed ludicrous. Overall, we loved the food and the potential, but not our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Excellent food and ambience and the staff were friendly and knowledgeable. Outstanding experience overall. We could not have asked for a more lovely and fitting way to impress our visitors from Australia. Thank you! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for ImprovementJersey58Dined on 8/4/2014We love the gardens and were looking forward top our high tea in The Dining Room. I have to say that I was disappointed. The teas are all blends - one just wants a classic tea, whether Darjeeling, Earl Gray or Green, but not these trendy mixtures. The food seemed very formulaic and lacking in taste. The only sandwich that tasted like it should was the chicken - the others had clearly been made hours ahead and tasted bland. I paid $170 for four people including tax, after paying $133 to get into the gardens. We found better value and taste at The Abkhazi Gardens high tea in Victoria's Oak Bay neighbourhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Summer DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014The menu had a good variety of choices. It would be nice to see a better representation of the many available lovely B.C. wines in the 'wine-by-the-glass' selectionsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceoliverDined on 8/3/2014Good experience! Beautiful garden, nice decoration, delicious food, deserve a long stay!Special Features:
- Best high tea in VictoriaallaboutfoodDined on 8/3/2014I rate this high tea better than the Fairmont Express for value, customer service & food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon tea in the gardenHungrydivaDined on 8/2/2014This was a great spot for proper afternoon tea. So beautiful to look out on the gardens while enjoy delicious food! Reservations are necessary. Try to sit on the porch if possible. Cheaper than other places we looked at for tea, and better food we heard from others (nothing to compare it to...)Special Features:
- Nice and overpricedTime4wineDined on 7/31/2014The Empress is clearly relying on its history to continue to draw people in, the tea and the food was okay, really nothing extraordinary. The location is beautiful, the bill however was $200 for 2 adults and 2 young girls, we felt like we were rushed through it and had the bill brought to us before we were done. We had a much nicer experience at the Butchart gardens tea. I do not mind paying for quality but that is not what should be expected at the Empress.Special Features:
- Lovebirds4everLuvbirds4everDined on 7/30/2014Such a wonderful afternoon tea! Everything was elegantly presented, service was delightful, and food and tea were both delicious. We had a table overlooking the gardens. Just beautiful and all tastefully and considerately done. We loved the special treatment and understated care and class in which all was presented. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.