Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
14 North Market Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.burwellscharleston.com/
- Phone: 843-737-8700x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Nightly: 4:00pm - Close
Happy Hour Monday - Friday
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jordan Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater any of your office parties or special events
- Entertainment: Live Music - Call the Restaurant for details
Large Parties - Call the Restaurant for details
- Special Events: We have five distinct private dining options
A word from Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
Burwell’s STONE FIRE GRILL serves Premium Steaks and Local Fish inventively updated for our modern world. The setting is a stunning and remarkable restoration of the historic space situated in the center of Charleston’s bustling Market District, adding modern flair. Burwell’s STONE FIRE GRILL serves accessible, approachable dishes that are rooted in the spirit of moving the steakhouse of old into this “Next Generation of Great Steakhouses." The heart of this new, modern steakhouse is award winning Executive Chef Jordan Moore and the Culinary Team. Come for dinner, stay for the fun! Rooftop Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (84)fit for foodies (57)romantic (45)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (30)notable wine list (30)vibrant bar scene (28)hot spot (21)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (5)great for lunch (2)Show More
- AnnieEatsDined on 8/23/2014Fantastic food and service. Everything was perfect. Will be back.
- FantasticDrTomAlignlifeDined on 8/23/2014Service was great. Manager Dave was friendly, kind and he remembers your name. Wine list was impressive and food was cooked to perfection. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone, especially if you have guests in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual, yet notableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The steak was very good, as advertised. The atmosphere was upbeat. Casual dress is appropriate. Great location for celebration of special occasionsSpecial Features:
- upscale environmentBandoVIPDined on 8/23/2014Food and service was outstanding. Was our anniversary and provided a great atmosphere. Waiter was friendly and very in tune on the menu. Provided an outstanding desert at no charge and made evening very special. Try the rock candy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out.MtP514Dined on 8/22/2014Nice rooftop bar to grab a drink before or after dinner. Food, drinks and Service were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014We ate there for our anniversary. We had the halibut. My husband has a gluten allergy and they helped select what was GF. Waiter was very nice, food was delicious. We had the s'mores for dessert which were so amazing and the chef wrote Happy Anniversary on the plate in chocolate sauce! It was perfect.Special Features:
- Superb Customer ServicePhilCDined on 8/17/2014They immediately recognized that my steak had been overcooked and their service recovery was excellent. Food was well prepared and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousStocktonDined on 8/16/2014Unique approach to steak that works extremely well....we had the bone in Ribeye and T Bone....both steaks were amazing but the T Bone was the best....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DonnavolDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I celebrated my birthday there Saturday night. Best piece of steak we have ever had. He had the bone in ribeye and I had the filet. Needless to say, we will be back!Special Features:
- BurwellsHankDined on 8/15/2014Burwells was excellent. The steak is fantastic. The exotic mushrooms are a wonderful add on to any meal. I would highly suggest their signature appetizers in particular the filet mignon fingers. Only complaint i had was the service was good not great.Special Features:
- Best SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014We had a dinner with six adults and I heard that the steaks were the best that they have had in years! Nice job! Restaurant was a little loud but server was outstanding!Special Features:
- Trendy Hot SpotFoodie2Dined on 8/8/2014Great roof-top bar. Make sure you go a few minutes early to have a drink prior to eating. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu which varies depending on availability. Energetic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousmaredDined on 8/8/2014We enjoyed everything. The food, the waitress, the roof top bar, the owner. .will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014The steak is omg. Pretty penny but we'll worth it. Great service and good atmosphere. Wasn't that noisy until our group came. Sorry about that but great times and great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Taking friends to dinner to a restaurant you've never been to can be chancy, but we had a superb experience at Burwell's last Friday night. No doubt, the stone method of cooking our steaks made each of them perfect. They were succulent and memorable. We had a great dinner and hope to return to Burwell's soon!Special Features:
- DeliciousEatdrinkbmerryDined on 8/2/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Burwell's. It all started with a very delicious martini (can't remember the name)!! She crab soup had a great taste!! We also ordered the shrimp and grits appetizer - great twist of flavor!! Our steaks were sooooo good!! And enjoyed another delicious martini!! Our server was very nice and attentive!! The bartender was a lot of fun to talk with and cut up with!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- in2food2in2foodDined on 8/2/2014Great find! Vibrant atmosphere. Not a place for a romantic, intimate dinning. Bar was great place for before or after dinner drinks. Food and service spot on. I would go back again.Special Features:
- burwellhuggiebearDined on 8/2/2014Great food, good service, a liitle loud but most restaurants these days seem to be. There was a delay in the kitchen on our entrees that created a significant wait time. The manager visited us numerous times and comped us desserts. It was a special night for my daughters and I, which they went out of their way to make right. A nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2014We went to Burwell's for our anniversity. We had never been there and we found the wait staff extremely friendly. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the bottle of wine. We got there at the end of happy hour and had one of their special cocktails which was very good and different. I would dine here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- U might not notice it - but TRY IT!JDM225VIPDined on 7/28/2014Very flavorful food. Unique sides (mashed rutabaga). Great mushroom side. Fabulous beef. Tasty seafood. Very good desserts. Nice bar area too. At the end of north Market just past the noisy oyster, you could easily walk right by without realizing it. Stop in and give them a try. Very, very attentive service and visible cooking area adds a nice touch. Rooftop bar tooSpecial Features:
- Great meal at Burwell'sdiningwellDined on 7/26/2014We had a great dinner here. We were early for our reservation, so we went upstairs to their rooftop bar. There's not much of a view, but it was nice to sit outside and enjoy a drink. The bar staff was great. We opted to eat upstairs because we wanted a booth and all of the booths in the main downstairs restaurant were taken. We did not specify this in our reservation request, so request a booth if you want one. I also think the noise level was a little quieter upstairs, so if you want more of an energetic atmosphere, sit downstairs. Our steaks were great and the staff was attentive. Great location with parking nearby.Special Features:
- Our food was goodbobby2008Dined on 7/24/2014The restaurant is new and the food was good, expensive and the cheese plate we ordered was very good but not much cheese. It is worth visiting.
- Another Charleston GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/20/2014Burwell's was great from the moment we walked in. My wife and I have been to most fine dining restaurants around town and this one is definitely up there with some of the better one's. Our server, Taylor was there immediately to greet us and take our drink orders. Her recommendations on the cocktails were spot on. Our meals were prepared perfectly and cooked to our liking, and the peach creme brulee was excellent. We look forward to coming back and bringing family with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDjr41065Dined on 7/19/2014My husband and I took our youngest daughter (she's 23) to Burwell's for her birthday and we were so impressed! We got there early and had a drink at the bar....the bartenders were very knowledgeable, friendly and the service was excellent. Our reservations were at 7:00 pm and we were seated right on time. Our waitress knew the menu and specials very well and gave us some excellent advice on ordering. We sampled several appetizers and had one of the steak specials and each dish was perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. My daughter is somewhat of a foodie and she said that she will be going back regularly! My husband and I agree, Burwell's Stone Fire Grill is definitely one of our new favorite places to dine!Special Features:
- bekahDined on 7/18/2014Our dinner was delicious, one of the best steaks I have ever had! s Meredith was the best server ever!Special Features:
- BurwellsPreacherDined on 7/18/2014Great food and service. Best appetizers in Charleston. Pulled pork hushpuppies are a must have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW WOW WOW!!luvagoodmealDined on 7/16/2014Loved loved loved this place! I had filet mignon with asparagus and fried egg. Then I splurged on dessert and received a very pleasant surprise - it was made from cocoa puff cereal. All I can say about this place is OMG!!Special Features:
- Fabulous ExperienceBVdinersDined on 7/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience from cocktails to dessert. The wine was exceptionally good and the server (Taylor) was first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodFoodies4Dined on 7/11/2014Our party of 4 was vacationing from Cleveland. Although the food was amazing, it was brought to our table lukewarm at best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't return... Not a happy diner!HappydinerVIPDined on 7/11/2014Poor, unconcerned service. She- crab soup was strange and didn't have sherry that we could tell. When they don't list anything that accompanies your steak, they mean NOTHING is on the plate with the steak! Naked steak plate! Not presented nicely! Meat was just okay. All of ours were over cooked! The place was so loud, we couldn't wait to get out of there! We were crowded, too, so there was nothing good about Burwells!Special Features:
- Good food if you payBeachygirl86Dined on 7/6/2014We came here to celebrate an anniversary after a good recommendation from a friend. It was easy to get the reservation we wanted and it wasn't very crowded. The appetizer (she-crab soup) was amazing, but we found that unless you paid for the more expensive cuts of meat, the food wasn't very impressive. Since the steaks come with literally nothing, we ordered side dishes. The sides were awesome and probably the best part of the whole meal. Overall, I've had much better steaks for cheaper prices elsewhere. If I wanted to spend this kind of money for dinner, there are way too many good restaurants downtown for me to choose this one again.
- DeliciousNotFromBostonDined on 7/4/2014My fiance and I both had the Bistro Filet, fritas, and mac and cheese. Everything was delicious. The reduced balsamic dressing that was on the steak made the tender meat have a subtle sweet taste. The environment was quiet and the lighting had a soothing dimness to it, but was not overly dark or bright.Special Features:
- Great food, service and location.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Great location! Delicious meal! One of the best tasting steaks ( 8 oz. fillet) ever. Our waitress was great! Very knowledgeable and helpful in ordering. The whole staff was very attentive. Overall, service was excellent, even with a full house. We did not feel rushed at all. The meal was a bit pricey for my budget, but I felt we got our money's worth. I ordered a side dish that was probably a great dish, but too spicy for my taste. The waitress insisted on deducting it from our bill. When we return to Charleston, we will make dinner at Burwell's a must.Special Features:
- Great service and FoodHEPJALDined on 7/4/2014Our group enjoyed phenomenal service and food while dining at Burwells. From the moment we walked in the door we were greated by a friendly hostess and seated promptly ( we had reservations). For dinner everything from our appetizers, drinks, and entrees were delicious. The service was impeccable! We will return to this restaraunt when in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special nite-an extra special placeBobbyGKathyDDined on 7/3/2014We requested a special (quiet) experience to celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary and Burwell's far surpassed our exceptions. Allan's greeting was warm and sincere. We felt that we were regulars rather than first timers. The menu choices wide and wonderful. The filets were perfectly prepared. All of the staff knew it was a special night for us and made it that way without a lot of noise. Our dessert plate even had Happy Anniversary inscribed in chocolate on it. If you are looking for a special place, try Burwell's and let them know what you are celebrating. They will celebrate with you especially if your servers are Allan and/or Mickey. After celebrating many anniversaries in Charleston, Burwell's has roared to the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2014We had never heard of Burwell's until we saw it on Open Table and decided to try it. It was AMAZING! The filet was so tender my knife just slid right through. The wait staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. My husband had the chef's special for the day, chuck steak, that was the best he's ever had. The manager came by to check on our dinner. He was super friendly and made us feel like he really cared. It was well worth every penny! We will definitely come again!Special Features:
- Repeat visitPittdinerVIPDined on 7/1/2014Had such a wonderful meal on our first visit, returned again while in Charleston. Our waitstaff was very attentive and knew the menu, cocktail list and wine list well. Taylor B. provided us with excellent service throughout the evening. Steaks were cooked to each of our preferences with great flavor. Will return again when back in Charleston.Special Features:
- top notchjucoDined on 6/28/2014I've eaten at a number of highly reviewed steakhouse-type of restaurants like Peter Luger in Brooklyn. My wife and I both believe that had the best steaks of our lives at Burwell's. Service was excellent, they were great with our 9 and 7 years olds who raved about their pasta, and the ambiance was very enjoyable. We will definitely be back if we return to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerRobinBDined on 6/28/2014We went to Burwell's for our 13th Anniversary. We had never been but all reviews seemed very good. Everything was excellent from the moment we arrived to the time we left. Staff was awesome, food was excellent and steaks cooked perfectly. Location was perfect as well. Will definitely look forward to going again sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodTroenderDined on 6/26/2014The steaks were delicious, and the staff did what they are supposed to do.Special Features: