Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
14 North Market Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.burwellscharleston.com/
- Phone: 843-737-8700x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Nightly: 4:00pm - Close
Happy Hour Monday - Friday
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jordan Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater any of your office parties or special events
- Entertainment: Live Music - Call the Restaurant for details
Large Parties - Call the Restaurant for details
- Special Events: We have five distinct private dining options
A word from Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
Burwell’s STONE FIRE GRILL serves Premium Steaks and Local Fish inventively updated for our modern world. The setting is a stunning and remarkable restoration of the historic space situated in the center of Charleston’s bustling Market District, adding modern flair. Burwell’s STONE FIRE GRILL serves accessible, approachable dishes that are rooted in the spirit of moving the steakhouse of old into this “Next Generation of Great Steakhouses." The heart of this new, modern steakhouse is award winning Executive Chef Jordan Moore and the Culinary Team. Come for dinner, stay for the fun! Rooftop Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)fit for foodies (66)romantic (52)good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (36)notable wine list (35)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (11)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Happy we ate herejmcmDined on 9/20/2014Was in town for our anniversary. Read reviews on Tripadvisor. This restaurant was highly rated, rave reviews. We made reservation, and were not disappointed. Steaks cooked to perfection, everything was; side dishes to desserts. Great service. Will go back on our next visit.Special Features:
- Overall great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We have dined at this restaurant several times, and everytime it has been a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Was taking niece out for graduation. Was a nice place, but previous reviews were accurate...food was a bit too salty. Had steaks and fish plates. Overall good, but not sure if anything special. The dessert smores was fantastic tho!I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our best meals ever!wdunfordDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I are foodies, especially enjoying a good steak occasionally. Visited for the first time recently to celebrate a special occasion and were not disappointed. We've always said The Oak has the best steaks in town. Well, Burwell's is as good, if not better. So tender and perfectly done. Presentation was lovely, sides were good, and our server was wonderful. She was bright and friendly and extremely knowledgeable about both the food and wine. We sat and enjoyed our meal without feeling rushed or pressured. The orange creme brulee was to die for! And the pastry chef had written Happy Anniversary in chocolate on the plate. Nice touch. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinnerluv2makereservationsDined on 9/14/2014This was our first time at Burwell's and we were not disappointed. The steaks, filet and NY strip, that we ordered were cooked to perfection and our waiter Zach was very attentive and offered great suggestions. The side dishes are very plentiful and can be easily shared with two. Looking forward to our next visit to Charleston and Burwell's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jnprice89Dined on 9/12/2014Best steak you'll ever get! Their fish was fabulous too! And you can't go there without lordering at least one cocktail, they're all delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPointManDined on 9/12/2014It was a delight to celebrate our anniversary and dine at Burwell's. Our server seemed a bit nervous, but was great. The owner was kind enough to stop by our table and talk with us. We had a quiet, comfortable place to celebrate, reflect on the past and dream of the future. The only suggestion I would have is the "surf and turf" - although delicious - offer a larger piece of lobster than that of a large, jumbo shrimp. Steak was perfect and small lobster was tender. We would like to visit again when we are in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Burwell's, our waitress was very helpful, patient and attentive. Our food was delectable and everything from our bread to the dessert was extremely delicious!! We were there for the Restaurant Week event and had the Prime Rib dinner. Scrumptious! Do yourself a favor and visit Burwell's on your next outing.Special Features:
- Sliced steak???fabulousfoodieDined on 9/6/2014There are too many good restaurants in Charleston to visit...don't go here! The service was okay, however one person at our table received her steak sliced while the other steaks were not. When asked why hers was sliced, the server said that sometimes they will use part of another steak and when they do, it comes sliced. There were several open tables and booths when we arrived and all through the time we were there, however, they sat us in the back corner with the exposed pipes and absolutely no ambiance. We will not be back!
- Great Spot!VisitorDined on 9/6/2014Burwell's is the up and coming dinning spot in Charleston. The food selection is varied and prepared exceptionally well. The steak was melt in your mouth delicious. The crab cake was one of the best I've had (and I'm from Maryland). The cheese platter, wine, salad etc. were all very good. The service was outstanding even down to splitting the dishes for those of us sharing plates. I highly recommend you try Burwell's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails.OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/5/2014As a concierge and frequent diner I'm always looking for somewhere that's not only above par in every way during my visit, but consistent. I can say nothing but good things about Burwell's, consistently delicious and timely with service, they always have an excellent cocktail to serve up as well. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to entertain and even more highly for anyone looking to talk business over dinner as it is an excellent setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBillandmuffDined on 9/5/2014We found Burwells to be a wonderful find. Colleen, out waitress, was personable and knowledgeable. I chose fro the regular menu...a fabulous filet of beef and my husband from the restaurant week specials. Neither of us was disappointed. All produce is local and the deviled eggs served with salad were wonderfully delicious. Dessert was amazing. Our dinner made our visit to Charleston more special. Valet parking was an added plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston's New GemdlbillDined on 8/30/2014We dined at Burwell's on Aug 30th with out of town guests, we haven't stopped talking about our visit since. The service was great, food delicious and the staff created a very welcoming atmosphere. I live locally so I can't wait to go back. You can't go wrong at Burwell's.Special Features:
- Wood-Fired FiletMarkDined on 8/29/2014They were right. This steak literally melted in our mouths! I think it was the best steak I ever ate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Poor TasteForestDined on 8/29/201416oz Ribeye $41.00 poor taste and not cooked as requested had it returned but 40% still very rare. Wife had fillet poor taste but very tender. Could not find the proper ranking for number 2.
- Fantastic findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Thanks open table for helping me find this restaurant. It was FNTASTIC! My wife and I enjoyed every dish. The Starks were perfect and the sides were delicious. Great service and wonderful atmosphere. In an area where parking is a premium, they have valet parking, and although it's not free, it's cheaper than the alternative. Great wine list.Special Features:
- What an experience!GemstoneDined on 8/28/2014Of all the most unusual cooking experiences, the hot stone is the most intriguing. I am the chef in this appetizer becoming excellent or not. The cuts of meat were extremely flavorful as one would expect from a restaurant noted for quality steaks. Our waiter made every attempt to satisfy our needs and did a masterful job of it. We would definitely return to try a different entree because they all were appealing.Special Features:
- AnnieEatsDined on 8/23/2014Fantastic food and service. Everything was perfect. Will be back.
- FantasticDrTomAlignlifeDined on 8/23/2014Service was great. Manager Dave was friendly, kind and he remembers your name. Wine list was impressive and food was cooked to perfection. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone, especially if you have guests in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual, yet notableMSTravelerDined on 8/23/2014The steak was very good, as advertised. The atmosphere was upbeat. Casual dress is appropriate. Great location for celebration of special occasionsSpecial Features:
- upscale environmentBandoVIPDined on 8/23/2014Food and service was outstanding. Was our anniversary and provided a great atmosphere. Waiter was friendly and very in tune on the menu. Provided an outstanding desert at no charge and made evening very special. Try the rock candy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out.MtP514Dined on 8/22/2014Nice rooftop bar to grab a drink before or after dinner. Food, drinks and Service were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningSeafoodfanDined on 8/21/2014We ate there for our anniversary. We had the halibut. My husband has a gluten allergy and they helped select what was GF. Waiter was very nice, food was delicious. We had the s'mores for dessert which were so amazing and the chef wrote Happy Anniversary on the plate in chocolate sauce! It was perfect.Special Features:
- Superb Customer ServicePhilCDined on 8/17/2014They immediately recognized that my steak had been overcooked and their service recovery was excellent. Food was well prepared and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousStocktonDined on 8/16/2014Unique approach to steak that works extremely well....we had the bone in Ribeye and T Bone....both steaks were amazing but the T Bone was the best....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DonnavolDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I celebrated my birthday there Saturday night. Best piece of steak we have ever had. He had the bone in ribeye and I had the filet. Needless to say, we will be back!Special Features:
- BurwellsHankDined on 8/15/2014Burwells was excellent. The steak is fantastic. The exotic mushrooms are a wonderful add on to any meal. I would highly suggest their signature appetizers in particular the filet mignon fingers. Only complaint i had was the service was good not great.Special Features:
- Best SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014We had a dinner with six adults and I heard that the steaks were the best that they have had in years! Nice job! Restaurant was a little loud but server was outstanding!Special Features:
- Trendy Hot SpotFoodie2Dined on 8/8/2014Great roof-top bar. Make sure you go a few minutes early to have a drink prior to eating. Staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the menu which varies depending on availability. Energetic atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousmaredDined on 8/8/2014We enjoyed everything. The food, the waitress, the roof top bar, the owner. .will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014The steak is omg. Pretty penny but we'll worth it. Great service and good atmosphere. Wasn't that noisy until our group came. Sorry about that but great times and great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Taking friends to dinner to a restaurant you've never been to can be chancy, but we had a superb experience at Burwell's last Friday night. No doubt, the stone method of cooking our steaks made each of them perfect. They were succulent and memorable. We had a great dinner and hope to return to Burwell's soon!Special Features:
- DeliciousEatdrinkbmerryDined on 8/2/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Burwell's. It all started with a very delicious martini (can't remember the name)!! She crab soup had a great taste!! We also ordered the shrimp and grits appetizer - great twist of flavor!! Our steaks were sooooo good!! And enjoyed another delicious martini!! Our server was very nice and attentive!! The bartender was a lot of fun to talk with and cut up with!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- in2food2in2foodDined on 8/2/2014Great find! Vibrant atmosphere. Not a place for a romantic, intimate dinning. Bar was great place for before or after dinner drinks. Food and service spot on. I would go back again.Special Features:
- burwellhuggiebearDined on 8/2/2014Great food, good service, a liitle loud but most restaurants these days seem to be. There was a delay in the kitchen on our entrees that created a significant wait time. The manager visited us numerous times and comped us desserts. It was a special night for my daughters and I, which they went out of their way to make right. A nice restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was excellentzmanDined on 7/31/2014We went to Burwell's for our anniversity. We had never been there and we found the wait staff extremely friendly. The food was excellent and we enjoyed the bottle of wine. We got there at the end of happy hour and had one of their special cocktails which was very good and different. I would dine here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality steakhouseNewCharlestonianVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had a seat by the window which made room nice and bright. Waiter very attentive and accommodating. Cocktails were well made and generous. There is a good selection of entrees, and happily all come with some side items, so all the ala carte options are not needed. We were all pleased with the quality of our steaks and the value is great. One person did not like their side of mac and cheese (too al dente) and the waiter happily and quickly changed it for mashed potatoes which were creamy and delicious. The owner/manager also stopped by to see that we were happy. It is on the end of Market Street that is not as heavily traveled, but we are glad we found it and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- U might not notice it - but TRY IT!JDM225VIPDined on 7/28/2014Very flavorful food. Unique sides (mashed rutabaga). Great mushroom side. Fabulous beef. Tasty seafood. Very good desserts. Nice bar area too. At the end of north Market just past the noisy oyster, you could easily walk right by without realizing it. Stop in and give them a try. Very, very attentive service and visible cooking area adds a nice touch. Rooftop bar tooSpecial Features:
- Great meal at Burwell'sdiningwellDined on 7/26/2014We had a great dinner here. We were early for our reservation, so we went upstairs to their rooftop bar. There's not much of a view, but it was nice to sit outside and enjoy a drink. The bar staff was great. We opted to eat upstairs because we wanted a booth and all of the booths in the main downstairs restaurant were taken. We did not specify this in our reservation request, so request a booth if you want one. I also think the noise level was a little quieter upstairs, so if you want more of an energetic atmosphere, sit downstairs. Our steaks were great and the staff was attentive. Great location with parking nearby.Special Features:
- Our food was goodbobby2008Dined on 7/24/2014The restaurant is new and the food was good, expensive and the cheese plate we ordered was very good but not much cheese. It is worth visiting.