Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
14 North Market Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.burwellscharleston.com/
- Phone: 843-737-8700x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Nightly: 4:00pm - Close
Happy Hour Monday - Friday
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jordan Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater any of your office parties or special events
- Entertainment: Live Music - Call the Restaurant for details
Large Parties - Call the Restaurant for details
- Special Events: We have five distinct private dining options
A word from Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
Burwell’s STONE FIRE GRILL serves Premium Steaks and Local Fish inventively updated for our modern world. The setting is a stunning and remarkable restoration of the historic space situated in the center of Charleston’s bustling Market District, adding modern flair. Burwell’s STONE FIRE GRILL serves accessible, approachable dishes that are rooted in the spirit of moving the steakhouse of old into this “Next Generation of Great Steakhouses." The heart of this new, modern steakhouse is award winning Executive Chef Jordan Moore and the Culinary Team. Come for dinner, stay for the fun! Rooftop Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (93)fit for foodies (64)romantic (52)good for groups (39)notable wine list (35)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (21)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (1)Show More
- excellentknbergerDined on 10/18/2014The hot stone flight of flavor appetizer was delicious and a lot of fun. The NY strip was probably the best steak I have ever had. The ambiance and service were excellent as well. I definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014Wonderful bartender conversations, great service & excellent food. Fun time had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceUgafanDined on 10/17/2014Awesome food, great service, great ambience. We loved it, and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Steaks were wonderful, melt in you mouth. Mashed potatoes were very light and fluffy. The service was very personable from the waitress to the manager. They made our anniversary very special, even wrote Happy Anniversary on our dessert dish in chocolate. The plating was beautiful. We are new locals and this is our new favorite restaurant. We will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014Steak was very tasty. Good sides. Very good service.
- Not Worth The PriceButlermm7Dined on 10/12/2014Although the ambiance is very nice at Burwell's, the food just isn't worth the price. Three at our table had the Wedge Slice salad - one of my all time favorite salads. No blue cheese dressing available so had to go with house dressing. It was very bland making the salad very disappointing. Two members of our party ordered Hanger steaks, two others ordered NY strip. None of the 4 were able to eat much of their steaks. They were heavily seasoned with something unwelcoming - perhaps Cumin. Why would you season a great steak! I had the filet mignon. I had to add lots of salt and pepper to get decent flavor. Waiter was very nice and personable but the quality of service and knowledge of staff was subpar. None of us will return.
- Rather Disappointed, Actually.geckoflyerDined on 10/11/2014I had a couple friends come in from out of town who are both really into food. I had heard some really great reviews from friends of mine, but I had never been myself. We started with drinks at the rooftop bar. Got a vodka martini served to me in a stemless wine glass and was TINY. The dinner experience was mediocre at best. Two of us got the surf and turf. The other the fish of the day (swordfish). The lobster was good, the steak was not. It wasn't terrible, but not high quality considering that Burwell's is a steakhouse. Our server was a bit aloof. She seemed more like just going through the motions and not genuinely caring. Go to Hall's downtown for a much better experience.
- Great food. So so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The food was well worth the price. However, we waited about 1 hour from the time we ordered until we received our food. It was not particularly busy for a Saturday night. Our waiter was a college kid who was not very attentive to us during this time. However, the manager brought us another free drink and apologized for the slow delivery of our food. Overall great, the steak was one of the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Myfood2reviewDined on 10/9/2014I took my husband there for his birthday dinner and we were very pleased. It was our first time at Burwell's and we would definitely return. The deviled egg appetizers were fantastic!! My husband loved the She crab soup and our filets melted in our mouths. They brought out the dessert with Happy Birthday drizzled in chocolate on the plate..a very nice touch. Amanda was our waitress and she was awesome! We will be back!Special Features:
- So goodTasteDined on 10/3/2014This is a Charleston favorite of ours! The food is fresh, local, and seasonal in a laid back atmosphere. We always leave happy. Seriously, the best food I've had in Charleston. My husband wants to live there :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and AtmospheremissbeeDined on 10/2/2014We enjoyed the food, cocktails, and decor of the restaurant, and that it was quiet enough for us to have a conversation without yelling. The server seemed pretty indifferent, though. We both observed that the server could have done more to sell the restaurant or get us excited about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Steak Experiencedomalley747Dined on 9/28/2014We were there on a rainy Sunday evening so the crowd was sparse. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food a reasonable value for those expecting a nice a la cart price point. The steaks were cooked perfectly and seasoned nicely. The mac'n'cheese side was a bit dry and not recommended. They were generous enough to comp us a free dessert since it was a birthday and the friendly manager called us a cab to take us the few flooded blocks to our car. It was a great experience and we were thankful to have an enjoyable time for our birthday meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy we ate herejmcmDined on 9/20/2014Was in town for our anniversary. Read reviews on Tripadvisor. This restaurant was highly rated, rave reviews. We made reservation, and were not disappointed. Steaks cooked to perfection, everything was; side dishes to desserts. Great service. Will go back on our next visit.Special Features:
- Overall great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We have dined at this restaurant several times, and everytime it has been a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Was taking niece out for graduation. Was a nice place, but previous reviews were accurate...food was a bit too salty. Had steaks and fish plates. Overall good, but not sure if anything special. The dessert smores was fantastic tho!I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our best meals ever!wdunfordDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I are foodies, especially enjoying a good steak occasionally. Visited for the first time recently to celebrate a special occasion and were not disappointed. We've always said The Oak has the best steaks in town. Well, Burwell's is as good, if not better. So tender and perfectly done. Presentation was lovely, sides were good, and our server was wonderful. She was bright and friendly and extremely knowledgeable about both the food and wine. We sat and enjoyed our meal without feeling rushed or pressured. The orange creme brulee was to die for! And the pastry chef had written Happy Anniversary in chocolate on the plate. Nice touch. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Anniversary Dinnerluv2makereservationsDined on 9/14/2014This was our first time at Burwell's and we were not disappointed. The steaks, filet and NY strip, that we ordered were cooked to perfection and our waiter Zach was very attentive and offered great suggestions. The side dishes are very plentiful and can be easily shared with two. Looking forward to our next visit to Charleston and Burwell's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jnprice89Dined on 9/12/2014Best steak you'll ever get! Their fish was fabulous too! And you can't go there without lordering at least one cocktail, they're all delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPointManDined on 9/12/2014It was a delight to celebrate our anniversary and dine at Burwell's. Our server seemed a bit nervous, but was great. The owner was kind enough to stop by our table and talk with us. We had a quiet, comfortable place to celebrate, reflect on the past and dream of the future. The only suggestion I would have is the "surf and turf" - although delicious - offer a larger piece of lobster than that of a large, jumbo shrimp. Steak was perfect and small lobster was tender. We would like to visit again when we are in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at Burwell's, our waitress was very helpful, patient and attentive. Our food was delectable and everything from our bread to the dessert was extremely delicious!! We were there for the Restaurant Week event and had the Prime Rib dinner. Scrumptious! Do yourself a favor and visit Burwell's on your next outing.Special Features:
- Sliced steak???fabulousfoodieDined on 9/6/2014There are too many good restaurants in Charleston to visit...don't go here! The service was okay, however one person at our table received her steak sliced while the other steaks were not. When asked why hers was sliced, the server said that sometimes they will use part of another steak and when they do, it comes sliced. There were several open tables and booths when we arrived and all through the time we were there, however, they sat us in the back corner with the exposed pipes and absolutely no ambiance. We will not be back!
- Great Spot!VisitorDined on 9/6/2014Burwell's is the up and coming dinning spot in Charleston. The food selection is varied and prepared exceptionally well. The steak was melt in your mouth delicious. The crab cake was one of the best I've had (and I'm from Maryland). The cheese platter, wine, salad etc. were all very good. The service was outstanding even down to splitting the dishes for those of us sharing plates. I highly recommend you try Burwell's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails.OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/5/2014As a concierge and frequent diner I'm always looking for somewhere that's not only above par in every way during my visit, but consistent. I can say nothing but good things about Burwell's, consistently delicious and timely with service, they always have an excellent cocktail to serve up as well. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to entertain and even more highly for anyone looking to talk business over dinner as it is an excellent setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBillandmuffDined on 9/5/2014We found Burwells to be a wonderful find. Colleen, out waitress, was personable and knowledgeable. I chose fro the regular menu...a fabulous filet of beef and my husband from the restaurant week specials. Neither of us was disappointed. All produce is local and the deviled eggs served with salad were wonderfully delicious. Dessert was amazing. Our dinner made our visit to Charleston more special. Valet parking was an added plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charleston's New GemdlbillDined on 8/30/2014We dined at Burwell's on Aug 30th with out of town guests, we haven't stopped talking about our visit since. The service was great, food delicious and the staff created a very welcoming atmosphere. I live locally so I can't wait to go back. You can't go wrong at Burwell's.Special Features:
- Wood-Fired FiletMarkDined on 8/29/2014They were right. This steak literally melted in our mouths! I think it was the best steak I ever ate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak Poor TasteForestDined on 8/29/201416oz Ribeye $41.00 poor taste and not cooked as requested had it returned but 40% still very rare. Wife had fillet poor taste but very tender. Could not find the proper ranking for number 2.
- Fantastic findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Thanks open table for helping me find this restaurant. It was FNTASTIC! My wife and I enjoyed every dish. The Starks were perfect and the sides were delicious. Great service and wonderful atmosphere. In an area where parking is a premium, they have valet parking, and although it's not free, it's cheaper than the alternative. Great wine list.Special Features:
- What an experience!GemstoneDined on 8/28/2014Of all the most unusual cooking experiences, the hot stone is the most intriguing. I am the chef in this appetizer becoming excellent or not. The cuts of meat were extremely flavorful as one would expect from a restaurant noted for quality steaks. Our waiter made every attempt to satisfy our needs and did a masterful job of it. We would definitely return to try a different entree because they all were appealing.Special Features:
- AnnieEatsDined on 8/23/2014Fantastic food and service. Everything was perfect. Will be back.
- FantasticDrTomAlignlifeDined on 8/23/2014Service was great. Manager Dave was friendly, kind and he remembers your name. Wine list was impressive and food was cooked to perfection. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone, especially if you have guests in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual, yet notableMSTravelerDined on 8/23/2014The steak was very good, as advertised. The atmosphere was upbeat. Casual dress is appropriate. Great location for celebration of special occasionsSpecial Features:
- upscale environmentBandoVIPDined on 8/23/2014Food and service was outstanding. Was our anniversary and provided a great atmosphere. Waiter was friendly and very in tune on the menu. Provided an outstanding desert at no charge and made evening very special. Try the rock candy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out.MtP514Dined on 8/22/2014Nice rooftop bar to grab a drink before or after dinner. Food, drinks and Service were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningSeafoodfanDined on 8/21/2014We ate there for our anniversary. We had the halibut. My husband has a gluten allergy and they helped select what was GF. Waiter was very nice, food was delicious. We had the s'mores for dessert which were so amazing and the chef wrote Happy Anniversary on the plate in chocolate sauce! It was perfect.Special Features:
- Superb Customer ServicePhilCDined on 8/17/2014They immediately recognized that my steak had been overcooked and their service recovery was excellent. Food was well prepared and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousStocktonDined on 8/16/2014Unique approach to steak that works extremely well....we had the bone in Ribeye and T Bone....both steaks were amazing but the T Bone was the best....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DonnavolDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I celebrated my birthday there Saturday night. Best piece of steak we have ever had. He had the bone in ribeye and I had the filet. Needless to say, we will be back!Special Features:
- BurwellsHankDined on 8/15/2014Burwells was excellent. The steak is fantastic. The exotic mushrooms are a wonderful add on to any meal. I would highly suggest their signature appetizers in particular the filet mignon fingers. Only complaint i had was the service was good not great.Special Features:
- Best SteaksOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014We had a dinner with six adults and I heard that the steaks were the best that they have had in years! Nice job! Restaurant was a little loud but server was outstanding!Special Features: