Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
14 North Market Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.burwellscharleston.com/
- Phone: (843) 737-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Bar: Nightly: 4:00pm - Close
Happy Hour Monday - Friday
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jordan Moore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater any of your office parties or special events
- Entertainment: Live Music - Call the Restaurant for details
Large Parties - Call the Restaurant for details
- Special Events: We have five distinct private dining options
A word from Burwell's Stone Fire Grill
Burwell’s STONE FIRE GRILL serves Premium Steaks and Local Fish inventively updated for our modern world. The setting is a stunning and remarkable restoration of the historic space situated in the center of Charleston’s bustling Market District, adding modern flair. Burwell’s STONE FIRE GRILL serves accessible, approachable dishes that are rooted in the spirit of moving the steakhouse of old into this “Next Generation of Great Steakhouses." The heart of this new, modern steakhouse is award winning Executive Chef Jordan Moore and the Culinary Team. Come for dinner, stay for the fun! Rooftop Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Burwell's Stone Fire Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (87)fit for foodies (72)romantic (50)good for groups (44)notable wine list (35)neighborhood gem (31)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (24)late-night find (9)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014Great food. I have taken many guest visiting Charleston to Burwell's and they have never been disappointed. Great service, I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible dinner ever in Charleston. Never go back.NOTHAPPYDined on 11/17/2014Horrible dry, burnt taste less burger with super soggy burnt bread. strange taste cocktails. Rude owner. Worst dinner experience in Charleston EVER. I am not sure how they survive in foodies city, Charleston. I will never, ever go back there.
- Living the Dream in Charleston SCOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/15/2014During our visit in Charleston to celebrate my 54th Birthday, it was recommended that we dine at Burwell’s. We have visited Charleston many times and always enjoy all the fine dining options. However, our visit to Burwell’s stands above many of the long standing establishments in downtown Charleston. Here are just a few of the reasons we would highly recommend dining at Burwell’s: •Outstanding Service (ask for Alan) •Comfortable atmosphere •Modern and relaxed décor •Upscale dining at reasonable prices •Modern menu with more than great Steak options •Great food presentation •Clean and modern facilities We had dined at another fine Steak restaurant two days prior and although our experience was positive, it pales in comparison to what we enjoyed at Burwell’s. My wife and I will definitely come back during our next visit to CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014We had a very nice time. We would definitely come back. Although, it would have been nice if they did something for a birthday celebration, like a free dessert or drink.:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a buzz!MagnoliaDined on 11/7/2014Really loved everything. The food, service and atmosphere were outstanding but it was way too loud for conversing...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Groupsaj18432Dined on 11/7/2014We booked a table for 6 and called to modify to 8. The manager was great to work with. The 2 servers who worked our table - that's right, 2 - did a fabulous job with good recommendations and prompt service. The steaks were perfectly aged and prepared. They have a hot lava rock plate - sized grill to cook table side for those who didn't want the wood fired flavor. Save room for dessert - I recommend the layered chocolate cake with side of milk that you pour on the plate - excellent! I'm coming back the next time I visit Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Passed the BAR celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2014A great spot to celebrate an occasion...passing the bar! Our server, Meredith,knowledgeable, patient, attentive and thorough. The food selections - deviled eggs and charcuterie GREAT start to the service, 5 steak and 1 salmon cooked perfectly...the sides delicious and sharable...desserts were not to be missed! A very good choice for a very SPECIAL celebration!Special Features:
- JustFaithDined on 11/6/2014I thought it would be more memorable. The food was just ordinary.
- Amazing Dining ExperienceRichDined on 11/5/2014First time dining at Burwell's and it was amazing. The food was perfect, the wait staff were knowledgeable and friendly (extra kudos to Meredith) and the management even stopped by to ask how everything was. We were out celebrating my girlfriend's new job and once Meredith found out, she had the kitchen whip up a nice plate of chocolate mousse with Congratulations written on it. That was the icing on the cake on an already fantastic dinner. Altogether, I couldn't ask for a better experience. Thanks Burwell's!Special Features:
- TedTeddyDined on 11/3/2014We have dined at Burwells in the past. The food, bar and service have always been outstanding. The bartender, Katie, and our server, Meredith, were absolutely wonderful and very attentive. They went above and beyond to make my wife's birthday a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of Promise--not a great nightPSUDanoVIPDined on 11/3/2014I thought long and hard about whether to give 3 or 4 stars. I am giving 3 stars because (a) two of my guests received sub-par meals (more on that later) and the service tempo was uneven because it was a really busy Monday night. Burwell's has a lot going for it-- ambiance, dedicated service, nice menu, reasonable wine list. My filet mignon was very good (a little bit salty) and my wife's scallops were excellent. The problem dish was the catch of the day, Wahoo. While the preparation seemed very good,it was overcooked. To the management's credit, they comped both meals AND gave me a card good for two future catch of the day meals. For the very good service recovery and caring management, I'll be back--and maybe they'll get that fourth star.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food and AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014With great twits on regional favorites like blackberry-worchestershire glazed pork loin to smoked apple cider smoked grits, the food was exceptional. There were even options for gluten-free diners! The sevice was friendly and accommodating and the atmosphere was quiet, romatic and comfortable. The tables were spaced comfotable far apart so you didn't have to feel like you were dining with the people at the next table. We would definitely return to Burwell's to try more innovative dishes!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceGrandDelightDined on 10/31/2014It was my wifes birthday and she has been under dome stress. I had a flower arrangement sent ahead which the restaruant accepted appropriately and then went the extra and set up a beautiful table in a great location. My wife was the star. She was very pleased. Bravo on the setup. Our server was very knowledgable about the food, not only technically but with artistic deliverance. It was as if she could picture the food preparation, presentation, color, and flavor and then conveyed that rxactly. As the food arrived she was right on the money. It was just as described and the taste was fantastic. I did not feel the meats were overly salted. The appetizer was delicious as well as desrt. The entire meal was a delight. Food coma!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/30/2014Ordered an 8oz Tenderloin which was cooked exactly perfect and the taste was amazing. I started out with a Caesar salad which had a different twist to it but was delicious as was my mashed potatoes. We also had a side of mushrooms which were the perfect accompaniment to the steak. The sides were very generous and plenty for two which was nice because the steak was ala carte. The wine list was very nice and our server quite helpful with choosing one. I was very tired after a busy day touring one of Charleston's plantation and a glass of wine and a nice meal was exactly what I needed. We were so glad that we chose Burwell's and look forward to going there next time we are in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014We created a tasting menu for my husband and myself. We ordered six appetizers in three courses and then each had a dessert. It was all wonderful. Our server was very attentive and unobtrusive. We will be returning on our next trip to Charleston!Special Features:
- It was okRweinerDined on 10/24/2014Did not do the stone grilled kobi steak as it was 2 ounces. That's not a steak, it's a Hersey kiss. Instead did the 12 oz strip steak. It was excellent and over 12 oz. The she crab soup was particularly disappointing but that could be my personal tastes. Side dish of Mac n cheese is a waste of money. The best was the service. A manager or chef came out to apologize for the soup and the server was a real pro. The meal was overall average but proxy for what I got. I will try then again and be more selective in my order.
- JeffDined on 10/24/2014Great meal! Very good service. Overall, great hospitality! Liked the outdoor rooftop bar with music on a Friday night. Also has an inside bar on the first floor where dining is. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014We are so glad we chose Burwells for our special celebration! The food and service was great! Must try the deviled eggs! Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mmmmts4uDined on 10/23/2014Best steak in Charleston. Great service, over the top food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteFineandDine77Dined on 10/23/2014Prepare to be "wowed" by not only the food presentation, attentive service, and seasonally-specific menu, but you will surely be jolted by the overwhelmingly scrumptious burst of flavor and textures from your plates. Well done, Burwell's. My only gripe would be that we don't have this restaurant close enough to our home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient ExcellenceSteveDined on 10/22/2014We really enjoyed the quiet atmosphere. The food was delicious. I especially enjoyed the asparagus with fried egg side dish I had. The beef was flavorful and well seasoned.Special Features:
- Wood Fired Aroma!!ScottinMilwaukeeDined on 10/21/2014I was in town on business and had a taste for red meat. The wood-fired aroma is awesome and the filet was very good. I asked for medium-rare (plus) and it was. Also had the shrimp and grits for an appetizer. It arrived with the plate of grits on the side with, get this, an 8"x8" hot stone to cook the raw shrimp on!! So I cooked half the shrimp, mixed it in the grits, and put the other half on the stone. Very unique. The manager said that they've only been open for two years. Will def return !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- feedmebeefDined on 10/18/2014First time dining here. Equals the best steak (filet mignon) i've ever had. Will back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentknbergerDined on 10/18/2014The hot stone flight of flavor appetizer was delicious and a lot of fun. The NY strip was probably the best steak I have ever had. The ambiance and service were excellent as well. I definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTfunfood22Dined on 10/18/2014Wonderful bartender conversations, great service & excellent food. Fun time had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceUgafanDined on 10/17/2014Awesome food, great service, great ambience. We loved it, and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food With An Interesing EdgechefliDined on 10/17/2014If you want food that's the same old same old, then this place is not for you. Be ready for a surprising compendium of flavors that will tease your taste buds. The Holy City Hog was new to the menu when we ate there and it provided a rich and unusual treatment of pork. Interestingly, the dish was even more tasty the next day as a cold snack! The steaks were very good, as well. Be forewarned, however, that ice cream desserts may challenge you--butter pecan, for example, has a bacon/smokey flavor. If you're all about sweets and tradition, you won't like this. The peach upside-down cake had a very nice texture and taste.Special Features:
- SassyladyDined on 10/16/2014We enjoyed the evening. It was a little loud, but not bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodfoodguruDined on 10/16/2014Steaks were wonderful, melt in you mouth. Mashed potatoes were very light and fluffy. The service was very personable from the waitress to the manager. They made our anniversary very special, even wrote Happy Anniversary on our dessert dish in chocolate. The plating was beautiful. We are new locals and this is our new favorite restaurant. We will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2014Steak was very tasty. Good sides. Very good service.
- Not Worth The PriceButlermm7Dined on 10/12/2014Although the ambiance is very nice at Burwell's, the food just isn't worth the price. Three at our table had the Wedge Slice salad - one of my all time favorite salads. No blue cheese dressing available so had to go with house dressing. It was very bland making the salad very disappointing. Two members of our party ordered Hanger steaks, two others ordered NY strip. None of the 4 were able to eat much of their steaks. They were heavily seasoned with something unwelcoming - perhaps Cumin. Why would you season a great steak! I had the filet mignon. I had to add lots of salt and pepper to get decent flavor. Waiter was very nice and personable but the quality of service and knowledge of staff was subpar. None of us will return.
- Great food. So so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014The food was well worth the price. However, we waited about 1 hour from the time we ordered until we received our food. It was not particularly busy for a Saturday night. Our waiter was a college kid who was not very attentive to us during this time. However, the manager brought us another free drink and apologized for the slow delivery of our food. Overall great, the steak was one of the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Myfood2reviewDined on 10/9/2014I took my husband there for his birthday dinner and we were very pleased. It was our first time at Burwell's and we would definitely return. The deviled egg appetizers were fantastic!! My husband loved the She crab soup and our filets melted in our mouths. They brought out the dessert with Happy Birthday drizzled in chocolate on the plate..a very nice touch. Amanda was our waitress and she was awesome! We will be back!Special Features:
- HowefamOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014My wife and I stopped in Charleston for the weekend on our way south. We decided to try Burwell's this time and it exceeded our expectations. The steaks were among the best that we had ever had. The beet salad side dish was unique and excellent as well. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So goodTasteDined on 10/3/2014This is a Charleston favorite of ours! The food is fresh, local, and seasonal in a laid back atmosphere. We always leave happy. Seriously, the best food I've had in Charleston. My husband wants to live there :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and AtmospheremissbeeDined on 10/2/2014We enjoyed the food, cocktails, and decor of the restaurant, and that it was quiet enough for us to have a conversation without yelling. The server seemed pretty indifferent, though. We both observed that the server could have done more to sell the restaurant or get us excited about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Steak Experiencedomalley747Dined on 9/28/2014We were there on a rainy Sunday evening so the crowd was sparse. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food a reasonable value for those expecting a nice a la cart price point. The steaks were cooked perfectly and seasoned nicely. The mac'n'cheese side was a bit dry and not recommended. They were generous enough to comp us a free dessert since it was a birthday and the friendly manager called us a cab to take us the few flooded blocks to our car. It was a great experience and we were thankful to have an enjoyable time for our birthday meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy we ate herejmcmDined on 9/20/2014Was in town for our anniversary. Read reviews on Tripadvisor. This restaurant was highly rated, rave reviews. We made reservation, and were not disappointed. Steaks cooked to perfection, everything was; side dishes to desserts. Great service. Will go back on our next visit.Special Features:
- Overall great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014We have dined at this restaurant several times, and everytime it has been a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Was taking niece out for graduation. Was a nice place, but previous reviews were accurate...food was a bit too salty. Had steaks and fish plates. Overall good, but not sure if anything special. The dessert smores was fantastic tho!I would recommend this to a friend.