Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
417 Stockton Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.burritttavern.com/
- Phone: 4154000561x
- Hours of Operation:
OpenTable Reservations are for dining room only.
Dinner: Su-Th 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sa 5:30pm-10:30pm
Valet parking $8 after 6pm at 450 Sutter with your receipt.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Luke Knox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz and Contemporary Instrumental Tuesday-Thursday 6pm-9pm and Friday-Saturday 7pm-10pm.
A word from Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
As the new executive chef at Charlie Palmer’s Burritt Room and one of the Zagat's 30 under 30, Knox was brought in to completely overhaul the tavern’s menu. Armed with first-hand experience of agriculture (growing up near his uncle’s farm in Nebraska) and 10 years working in fine-dining restaurants like Bouchon and Aureole in Las Vegas, the Thomas Keller/Charlie Palmer protégé knows his way around fresh ingredients and how to enhance their flavors with minimal manipulation. “My dishes integrate Charlie’s Progressive American style," he says, "while also incorporating my passion for clean, simple plates with strong flavors and a sense of San Francisco style.” He recently turned his attention to the Burritt Room, where he’s raised the bar on the menu offerings, introducing items that go beyond your standard fare such as fried pork shank with American Ale reduction and asparagus and crispy artichoke salad.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (35)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (15)romantic (14)special occasion (13)late-night find (12)hot spot (12)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Love the ambiance of the restaurantInTownDined on 9/11/2014The table with the curtains are awesome! The food could use a little work. Eggplant fries were greasy and bread that came with our avocado tartar was burnt and not edible.Special Features:
- Good drinks, food fell shortGspikeVIPDined on 8/27/2014These guys really know how to make a whisky drink, but they consistently overcooked everyone's entree meat. Salmon was cooked completely through and rib eye and pork chop came out almost entirely charred black. The interior of the meat wasn't completely dry, but the overabundance of char negatively affected flavor.Special Features:
- Shabby chic, fun & deliciousNancyVIPDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated a birthday dinner--all had great burgers and fries except the b'day girl who had delicious pan-grilled salmon (very fresh and high quality) with sauteed fresh vegetables. The desserts were seasonal and top notch. The cocktails were imaginative and yummy. The bar has live music and the bar decor is shabby chic--comfortable and fun. Service was excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Food great, service not so muchAndreaGVIPDined on 8/15/2014The bar is fantastic...had cocktails before dinner. It's lively and the service is good. Once we went into the dining room everything changed. Although our waitress was very nice, she didn't seem quite on top of it. In regards to the menu, we wanted to order the mortadella with burrata but they didn't have burrata. Then, we wanted two orders of the avocado tartare and they only had one order. Just seemed odd to us. The food we were able to order was excellent! The restaurant needs to work on making sure they have what's on the menu and that items ordered show up when they're supposed to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for a drink, not for the foodDahoVIPDined on 8/15/2014The bar here is very cool and there is live music a lot of the time, which is great. We decided to try the restaurant for dinner, we ordered a bunch of small plates to share, none of them were spectacular. Service was spotty. I won't be eating here again, but I will visit for a cocktail.Special Features:
- Nice bar but pretty priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014The drinks were great and the food was pretty good. Overall though, I don't think the experience is worth the large bill, at least for the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab Bake= HeavenNatashaSFVIPDined on 8/1/2014I come to this restaurant often as I live in the neighborhood. I always have a great experience, but on Friday I had the MOST AMAZING meal. I split the "Crab Bake" with a friend and it blew our minds. I can't wait to share it again!Special Features:
- Funny Money at the BarOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/18/2014We arrived on time for our reservation, but we were told we'd have a 20 minute wait, and to hang out at the bar. Bar was packed, but we managed to put an order in for two drinks. Even though most of the drinks in the drink menu were listed at around $11-12, we were somehow only given $8 back from two twenties, ($32 for the math challenged)... for an Old Fashioned and one of their own cocktails listed as $12. So the overcharge was nearly 50%, and really irked us. The rest of the dining experience was ok, the food was good, the dining room was not as pretty as the bar area. However the funny money was such a bad feeling that we were unable to truly enjoy the rest of our time at Burritt. We live in the area, but we won't be back.
- Better service at StarbucksdinenwineVIPDined on 7/7/2014If the service here was horrible, it would have been good. So, what's worse that horrible? First, we asked for a table at a booth and were told there were all full. After a 2.5 hour dinner, I can tell you that the booths were empty the entire night and were never full. I think the wait staff just didn't want to walk that far. To make matters worse, our server "Jard" literally spent his entire night at the cash register and only came to our table to check on us when we begged him. At 8.30, after nearly an hour of waiting for our food, we got up to ask him about our food, he told us 'it's on it's way right now" -- our food then arrived at 9pm. Great food (eventually) but the service and their attitude was terrible and offensive. Not worth itSpecial Features:
- pretty good, not greatlauraVIPDined on 7/6/2014This was the second time we ate here and we didn't love it as much the second time. The fig salad and lemon risotto starters were excellent, the salmon entree was good and the poached nectarine dessert was just okay. While we loved the dining room and our private booth, the service was quite slow, even though the restaurant was not crowded.
- Defiantly a cool little spot!MikeDined on 7/3/2014The bartenders know their stuff, the wait staff is great and the floor manager Steven was more than accommodating for all our needs. (Welcome to S.F.) put all that is a classy jazz bar with a great sprits selection, I'm pretty sure you've got a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find before theaterBunsVIPDined on 6/19/2014Food is fresh, creative and seasonal. Accommodating to dietary restrictions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuluOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Food and service great but the music was loud and inappropriate for the dining ambience so carefully created. Ok for Bar but not dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for drinks or dinner!jl55VIPDined on 6/6/2014i've been here four times now and have been very pleased with the experience every time...the food, drinks, service, ambiance are always spot on. i wish this place would get more foot traffic though! maybe because it's tucked away on the second story of a hotel building...well i'm happy to keep it as my little secret. if you haven't been, you should check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't returnAlmsfpdxVIPDined on 6/5/2014I've eaten here several times and am a Charlie Palmer fan. Always have had a great experience....Buritt has starting holding DJ events in the space below the restaurant. The music is so loud it shakes the chairs.....you can feel it through the floor. drowns out the band in the bar....impossible to hold a conversation. The waiter was very apologetic and professional about it. Mgmt should re evaluate their decision to host the DJ events during dining hours.
- Great experienceetrinhDined on 6/4/2014Came here for dine about town. Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the execution of the food. The beat salad with burrata and honey was done very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious~DawnCDined on 5/31/2014Not a big menu, but everything on it is SO tasty! This place is never as packed as it should be considering the amazing cocktail list and consistently delicious food. My boyfriend and I regularly come here just the two of us and with groups. Everyone we bring here always loves it. This is one of my favorite restaurants in SF, and not enough people appreciate it!Special Features:
- Great place and excellent serviceDejanDined on 5/30/2014We went to Burrit Room & Tavern to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We arrived about 10 minutes early so were prepared that we might need to wait but we were seated almost immediately - a sign of good things to come. The menu is not very big but all of the items that we ordered were prepared very well and we enjoyed very much the food and drinks (and the cocktails were great). The great food and service for a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a bit disappointedGoodFoodAndOpenTableFanVIPDined on 5/25/2014We had yet to try Burritt Room & Tavern and were excited to finally check out a Charlie Palmer place. So, we entered with high expectations. I must say that the service was SUPER. The waitstaff were fantastic - sound recommendations, speedy service, unobtrusive. The food, on the other hand, could have been better. Some things (the brussel sprouts) were great but our burgers which were ordered "medium" arrived "well done". We appreciated the adjustment to our bill but would have been much happier with juicier burgers. Having said that, the burger topping and home made bun were delicious. I plan to give it another try and suggest you try it also. - oh, by the way, the drinks were terrific!Special Features:
- The following 299 reviews are from the Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel reviews archive.
- Great Experience with a groupFancyJB9VIPDined on 5/10/2014I came here with a party of 6 to entertain 3 out of towners and we had a fantastic time. We were running late and they accommodated a postponement to our reservation. We first hit the bar upon arrival and ordered the punch of the day bowl. Not only was it was delicious, but it lasted us through the entire dinner with several refills per person. Our server and bus boy were very friendly and serviceable. Their recommendations were spot on. We pretty much are family style and ordered almost one of everything. Not a single thing I tired I didn't like. I did enjoy the steak and the salmon the best. And as for dessert, make room for the shortcake and the pot de creme. I recommend this place to anyone for a group or date setting. It's fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute great choiceCgarAfishinadoDined on 5/8/2014Great Live Jazz mid-week, cool location for non-boring business dinner or date. Excellent staff and interesting meal choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening at the Burritt RoomKO27Dined on 5/3/2014I found the Burritt Room on Open Table and was a little wary after reading a few of the not as positive reviews. I have to say that I was really glad I decided to go as we were all extremely pleased with our meals and the service was outstanding. If you have a small group (4 or less) try to get one of the "booths" which is a more private dining experience!Special Features:
- Delicious & delightfulDinerSFVIPDined on 5/2/2014A great choice for a yummy dinner with friends. Our server was great and knew the menu very well. He was attentive and cared that we were happy. Nice food and nice decor made for a good evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gemFoodpornlizVIPDined on 5/1/2014What a great night we had here. I went with a few girlfriends on a thursday evening for dinner and drinks. The cocktails were outstanding and the food was decent portion sizes for the price. Only thing was my steak was overcooked. The service was good except my server forgot what wine I was having and poured the wrong one in my glass so we had an interesting mix of Pinot Noir and Malbec. This would not stop me from coming back. We split the bill 4 ways and for everything we ordered it was a very reasonable deal for fancy dining. They also had live jazz music playing through our dinner. Definitely will be going back another night for round 2.Special Features:
- Bar business is booming thereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2014Bar business is booming there and I now understand why. I came a bit early, but this seemed to upset the hostess, who snapped at a waitress to seat me. Don't care to know about internal personnel problems and I probably wasn't the first diner to be early ever. For this quick bite I ordered 2 appetizers. Why on earth there was a sous vide egg with the sweetbreads only the cook would know. Sweetbreads are sufficiently inexpensive that the restaurant should not have to stretch this. The second item I ordered was fried brussel sprouts. Why on earth the cook felt moved to add crème fraiche to the sprouts escaped me. In addition, having to ask for bread before a meal, is another novel twist on stretching the restaurant's budget.Special Features:
- We had an excellent time.FriendDined on 4/4/2014We had an excellent time. The food was fabulous and the service thoughtful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 14 years together and in the cityMonabumDined on 3/31/2014We love Charlie Palmer we have been to most of his place on the west coast. This was our first time at the Burritt tavern. We loved it the our server Michael was amazing he told us to get this chocolate dessert that was to die for it taste like a sundae. The food and drinks were so good. We will be back I want to stay at the hotel too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find.bp13Dined on 3/22/2014Searching Open Table for dinner spot sitting in Union Sq, Burritt Room looked perfect and we weren't disappointed. Cool space, friendly and knowledgable bartenders, intersting cocktails and fabulous food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try and Get a Booth!bugzieVIPDined on 3/21/2014In-person menu much more appealing than that posted on the web site; tons of great choices, and the food was uniformly excellent. Sweet, helpful waitress, excellent cocktails & cool railroad car-like booth -- very sexy! Packed bar scene (Friday night), but mellower in the restaurant. Very enjoyable!Special Features:
- Hidden TreasureWessDined on 3/16/2014This place was excellent. I think it doesn't do the volume of business it deserves because it is a bit out of the way. As more people find out about it, that will change. It's in a very chic, but small hotel on the second floor. You have to take a narrow stairway to get to it. But it's totally worth it. Excellent drinks and ambiance. The food was excellent as was the service. My mom couldn't finish her risotto so there was some left when the plates got cleared. The chef actually asked (in a nice way) if everything was alright with the food. (Of course it was great...she couldn't take it with her because she had a plane to catch). That went a long way with me. Try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Mediocre for the PriceBenjaminDined on 3/14/2014I really like this place, and would love it only if the food was better. They've got the ambiance and service down, but the first reason I go to a restaurant is to eat a great meal, and unfortunately Burritt Room falls short. The food wasn't terrible, but for the price point we expected more; a lot more. Also, risotto is truly one of those dishes that shouldn't even be on the menu unless you can prepare it properly, and their soggy oatmeal-esque interpretation of a it was an embarrassment. I'll never dine here again, but the live jazz trio and talented bar staff are top notch. Go for drinks, but don't stay for dinner.Special Features:
- Just OK....OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/12/2014The live music was nice but quite loud, the service was good, and the food was just ok and took far too long especially since it was not a busy night.Special Features:
- Great hidden surprise!TomInSFVIPDined on 3/8/2014If you are not lookling for Burritt you won't find it. Upstairs at the Mystic Hotel near the Stockton tunnel. You need to find this place. Very cool hotel lobby leading you to a great space upstairs. Brick walls and retro chandaliers in the bar/entry. Trendier decor with a row of private booths in the dining area. Excellent food. Try the sourdhough pancakes and brussel sprouts. Amazing. Great selections on the menu. Many unique choices on the cocktail list. We've been dining in SF for over 20 years. Our waiter Ryan was the best waiter we've EVER had in The City. We are definitely bringing friends back to show off our find.Special Features:
- Food was hit or miss.doctorsmokeyDined on 3/8/2014What I loved: -Great atmosphere. Manages to feel both hip and old school. Love the banquette-style booths, and would request one next time! -Fantastic service. Our waiter was personable and attentive, but never overbearing. He made us feel special, which is always appreciated. -The charcuterie plate was yummy and beautifully presented. -The sourdough pancake with fried brussels sprouts was inventive and delicious. -Fantastic cocktails. What I didn't: -The tombo tuna salad was stringy and difficult to eat. The flavor profile didn't work for me. -The strawberry and rhubarb shortcake was tasty, but very low on the strawberries and rhubarb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinner andbillDined on 3/7/2014Great place for dinner and the bar area always a delightful experienceSpecial Features:
- Great Union Square SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014Living in San Francisco, I don't find myself eating downtown a lot, but it is always great to find a spot like this where the food is great and so are the drinks. If you are looking for a great to grab a bite (they have lots of good small plate options), then you should pop in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for qualityRobbieVIPDined on 3/7/2014With so many outstanding restaurant choices in San Francisco, you can definitely give the spot pass. The food is a way overpriced for the quality and quantity that you get.
- Burritt Room and TavernMGaneyDined on 2/28/2014I made a last minute reservation for a small group at the Burritt Room for a Friday night. We arrived early, missing one member of the group, and we had a drink at the bar. The drinks and service were great, and there was a live band. Dinner was in a quieter area, and although the tables next to us were very close- luckily there were no diners to our immediate left and right. Our appetizers, meals, and wine were all very good and there were no complaints at the table! We liked the ambiance, the food, and the different vibe of the bar scene.Special Features:
- A New Union Square StandbyllestellVIPDined on 2/25/2014On the night I visited, a Tuesday, Burritt was quite busy with what looked like business dinners, and there was jazz in the bar area. Our cocktails were delicious. The food was also very good, though the entrees were over-salted. The prices were a bit high ($22 for a burger?) but nothing outrageous by SF standards. There was a very large group that slowed down the kitchen just as we ordered, but the server graciously comped our salad as an apology for the wait. I'm generally skeptical of the dining options near Union Square, so it's nice to know I have a quality option for dinner or just a cocktail.Special Features:
- Surprise for locationLAR007Dined on 2/21/2014Don't let the lobby of the Mystic Hotel fool you... head straight up the stairs to the bar and restaurant. The bar has a great cocktails. Our VERY young waitress seemed overwhelmed by crowd and seems they need more people on the floor serving cocktails. I was pleasantly surprised by the bar scene and it's great for an initial drink before you move on for the evening. We decided to stay for dinner and glad we moved into the restaurant when the band started because it was already pretty loud for talking before the band started. The restaurant was goodm our waitress was excellent. Great timing on her pacing of our table. Loved little alcove tables but regular tables were so close it was like joining another party. Would definitely go back.Special Features: