Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
417 Stockton Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.burritttavern.com/
- Phone: (415) 400-0561
- Hours of Operation:
OpenTable Reservations are for dining room only.
Dinner: Su-Th 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Fri-Sa 5:30pm-10:30pm
Valet parking $8 after 6pm at 450 Sutter with your receipt.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Luke Knox
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz and Contemporary Instrumental Tuesday-Thursday 6pm-9pm and Friday-Saturday 7pm-10pm.
A word from Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel
As the new executive chef at Charlie Palmer’s Burritt Room and one of the Zagat's 30 under 30, Knox was brought in to completely overhaul the tavern’s menu. Armed with first-hand experience of agriculture (growing up near his uncle’s farm in Nebraska) and 10 years working in fine-dining restaurants like Bouchon and Aureole in Las Vegas, the Thomas Keller/Charlie Palmer protégé knows his way around fresh ingredients and how to enhance their flavors with minimal manipulation. “My dishes integrate Charlie’s Progressive American style," he says, "while also incorporating my passion for clean, simple plates with strong flavors and a sense of San Francisco style.” He recently turned his attention to the Burritt Room, where he’s raised the bar on the menu offerings, introducing items that go beyond your standard fare such as fried pork shank with American Ale reduction and asparagus and crispy artichoke salad.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Union Square ›
Burritt Room & Tavern - Mystic Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
- ljjohnVIPDined on 11/22/2014Great wait staff. Small but well thought out menu. Food very well prepared and presented. The bar area is seperated from the dining room more conceptually than in reality so it is a very good place for dinner with a date before 7. After 7 the energy (some might say noise) goes up exponentially with the live band in the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for fun than foodBruceVIPDined on 11/21/2014Great cocktails and cool atmosphere but very disappointed in the food. The ravioli, highly recommended by the otherwise great waiter, was very tough...like it had been reheated for days. The New York steak was tough and sinewy. Will be back for drinks but passing on the food next time.Special Features:
- Loved it.anne123Dined on 11/21/2014Having dinner in a small room was delightful! Food was great and service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun AmbianceMLiboVIPDined on 11/19/2014Great for drinks or happy hours. Food was not amazing but not awful either. Would go back but probably only for drinks. Really amazing old fashion though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014great service great bar expensive but your in union square so expect it. we would go more often, cuz we love the bar first them going right into the dinning area we have also taken a stay cation and stayed at the hotel. BUT wow there are still vegetarians in SF. there use to be menus that would celebrate being a veggie with at least one entree let alone maybe two that a veggie could eat but NONE at all on the menu is kinda behind the time? NO? and you always every time we come have to "make" something for the vegetarians. Really do no vegetarians come to your place? and it's always risotto (which is delicious) but rich and come on we would love to not have to eat cheese pasta (which was a little under cooked BTW) or cheese risotto every super nice restaurant we go to while everyone else at dinner gets these awesome creative dishes. Punishing the vegetarian was big in the early 90's here. I was loving when the city menus served both for about 15 years it was nice. now all meat, some you would never want to eat and no vegetables in general I mean almost none came with the meals. so maybe a more diverse menu and this place would be a perfect gem that even a local could frequent. other wise we can only go a couple times a year or the menu gets tired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The grown-up Hotel RestaurantHonkzillaDined on 11/14/2014Hotel restaurants used to get a bad rap, but Burritt Room & Tavern goes out of its way to dissuade you of any prejudices you may have in that regard. Start in the bar for one of their signature cocktails ()I recommend the Mark Twain), or order something classic (a Negroni is never the wrong choice) and then head into the informal dining room for steak frites, a glazed pork chop or their famous drunken chicken. For starters, get a plank of meats and cheese and then end up with the cookie plate (but be warned, these are plate-sized cookies and the chocolate milk is more like a chocolate shake). And if desert isn't your thing, grab another cocktail before you head out into the cold night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014My husband & I are 40 something. Made our reservation for 10 at the last minute. Loved everything about this place. Our table was near the bar which was fine because it was a great spot to hear the live music & people watch. Bar was packed. Our dinner was delicious. We had a great nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Bringing Friends HereNikCarrawayVIPDined on 11/7/2014The great thing about Burritt Room besides the great food and excellent service is the fantastic "hidden" location. I love bringing friends here for the first time as you don't expect such a great place tucked away by the Stockton Tunnel! I recommend asking for a booth if it's available. I feel like this a place you might see James Dean and Jack Kerouac sharing wine and having a laugh over steak. But that aside, our waiter Michael took excellent care of us that night for dinner and as usual, Burritt Room did not disappoint. We ordered several starters along with our entrees and a half bottle of wine as well and left very full and happy. Michael was fantastic, at all times friendly and helpful and engaging as our waiter. A fantastic time!Special Features:
- Our favorite SF Place to BeallezmikeVIPDined on 10/22/2014We discovered this topi shelf yet affordable bar and restaurant several years ago. We do not live in the city, but visit frequently. Can't say enough about the vibe (jazz was playing when we arrived at 6pm!), excellent bar staff - and then the restaurant itself. The area is a combination of an open area and booths. Our favorite server, Ryan, was there to greet us. He brought the chef out, who thanked us for our patronage and welcomed us back. All the courses were marvelous. the menu has a wide variety and can satisfy the most discriminating palette. So nice to feel like we are family!Special Features:
- Still GreatOL2HVIPDined on 10/15/2014Burritt Room remains our favorite Union Square eatery. They continue to do a fabulous job with Drinks/Wine/appetizers and main courses. The Trout was done just right, and so was the NY Steak. Prices are very reasonable for a meal of this quality. Service is fabulous. We went before a 7pm show curtain , informed the waiter of our time situation, and everything was served accordingly and we were not at all rushed. We love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night Bar!Suzi12Dined on 10/4/2014Great bar, very atmospheric! Live Jazz music on the Friday night that we went there. Food is ok, service very good and waiters cheerful and friendly. Can be intimate for couples or larger groups are well catered for.Special Features:
- TennisLuverTennisLuverDined on 9/26/2014The only reason I gave it a less than 5 start rating is the noise level is pretty high and one does have to talk at an elevated level to make yourself heard. There are individual draped seating areas that can be reserved, we didn't know that or would have requested, and I imagine it's a bit quieter tho' I can't say for sure. The service, food, presentation was excellent. Apparently this is a new restaurant for Charlie Palmer, and is consistent with other of his restaurants that I have visited, there is something for everyone within the menu. It was very lively there and is a happening place, we were there on a Friday night in the fall, we would visit again when in San Francisco.Special Features:
- Exciting atmosphereLauraVIPDined on 9/21/2014Very enjoyable dinner and experience. Excellent service, fine preparation, nice wine list. Very cool atmosphere with private booths.Special Features:
- Love the ambiance of the restaurantInTownVIPDined on 9/11/2014The table with the curtains are awesome! The food could use a little work. Eggplant fries were greasy and bread that came with our avocado tartar was burnt and not edible.Special Features:
- Good drinks, food fell shortGspikeVIPDined on 8/27/2014These guys really know how to make a whisky drink, but they consistently overcooked everyone's entree meat. Salmon was cooked completely through and rib eye and pork chop came out almost entirely charred black. The interior of the meat wasn't completely dry, but the overabundance of char negatively affected flavor.Special Features:
- Shabby chic, fun & deliciousNancyVIPDined on 8/16/2014We celebrated a birthday dinner--all had great burgers and fries except the b'day girl who had delicious pan-grilled salmon (very fresh and high quality) with sauteed fresh vegetables. The desserts were seasonal and top notch. The cocktails were imaginative and yummy. The bar has live music and the bar decor is shabby chic--comfortable and fun. Service was excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Food great, service not so muchAndreaGVIPDined on 8/15/2014The bar is fantastic...had cocktails before dinner. It's lively and the service is good. Once we went into the dining room everything changed. Although our waitress was very nice, she didn't seem quite on top of it. In regards to the menu, we wanted to order the mortadella with burrata but they didn't have burrata. Then, we wanted two orders of the avocado tartare and they only had one order. Just seemed odd to us. The food we were able to order was excellent! The restaurant needs to work on making sure they have what's on the menu and that items ordered show up when they're supposed to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for a drink, not for the foodDahoVIPDined on 8/15/2014The bar here is very cool and there is live music a lot of the time, which is great. We decided to try the restaurant for dinner, we ordered a bunch of small plates to share, none of them were spectacular. Service was spotty. I won't be eating here again, but I will visit for a cocktail.Special Features:
- Nice bar but pretty priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014The drinks were great and the food was pretty good. Overall though, I don't think the experience is worth the large bill, at least for the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab Bake= HeavenNatashaSFVIPDined on 8/1/2014I come to this restaurant often as I live in the neighborhood. I always have a great experience, but on Friday I had the MOST AMAZING meal. I split the "Crab Bake" with a friend and it blew our minds. I can't wait to share it again!Special Features:
- Funny Money at the BarOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/18/2014We arrived on time for our reservation, but we were told we'd have a 20 minute wait, and to hang out at the bar. Bar was packed, but we managed to put an order in for two drinks. Even though most of the drinks in the drink menu were listed at around $11-12, we were somehow only given $8 back from two twenties, ($32 for the math challenged)... for an Old Fashioned and one of their own cocktails listed as $12. So the overcharge was nearly 50%, and really irked us. The rest of the dining experience was ok, the food was good, the dining room was not as pretty as the bar area. However the funny money was such a bad feeling that we were unable to truly enjoy the rest of our time at Burritt. We live in the area, but we won't be back.
- Better service at StarbucksdinenwineVIPDined on 7/7/2014If the service here was horrible, it would have been good. So, what's worse that horrible? First, we asked for a table at a booth and were told there were all full. After a 2.5 hour dinner, I can tell you that the booths were empty the entire night and were never full. I think the wait staff just didn't want to walk that far. To make matters worse, our server "Jard" literally spent his entire night at the cash register and only came to our table to check on us when we begged him. At 8.30, after nearly an hour of waiting for our food, we got up to ask him about our food, he told us 'it's on it's way right now" -- our food then arrived at 9pm. Great food (eventually) but the service and their attitude was terrible and offensive. Not worth itSpecial Features:
- pretty good, not greatlauraVIPDined on 7/6/2014This was the second time we ate here and we didn't love it as much the second time. The fig salad and lemon risotto starters were excellent, the salmon entree was good and the poached nectarine dessert was just okay. While we loved the dining room and our private booth, the service was quite slow, even though the restaurant was not crowded.
- Defiantly a cool little spot!MikeDined on 7/3/2014The bartenders know their stuff, the wait staff is great and the floor manager Steven was more than accommodating for all our needs. (Welcome to S.F.) put all that is a classy jazz bar with a great sprits selection, I'm pretty sure you've got a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find before theaterBunsVIPDined on 6/19/2014Food is fresh, creative and seasonal. Accommodating to dietary restrictions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuluOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Food and service great but the music was loud and inappropriate for the dining ambience so carefully created. Ok for Bar but not dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for drinks or dinner!jl55VIPDined on 6/6/2014i've been here four times now and have been very pleased with the experience every time...the food, drinks, service, ambiance are always spot on. i wish this place would get more foot traffic though! maybe because it's tucked away on the second story of a hotel building...well i'm happy to keep it as my little secret. if you haven't been, you should check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't returnAlmsfpdxVIPDined on 6/5/2014I've eaten here several times and am a Charlie Palmer fan. Always have had a great experience....Buritt has starting holding DJ events in the space below the restaurant. The music is so loud it shakes the chairs.....you can feel it through the floor. drowns out the band in the bar....impossible to hold a conversation. The waiter was very apologetic and professional about it. Mgmt should re evaluate their decision to host the DJ events during dining hours.
- Great experienceetrinhDined on 6/4/2014Came here for dine about town. Was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the execution of the food. The beat salad with burrata and honey was done very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious~DawnCVIPDined on 5/31/2014Not a big menu, but everything on it is SO tasty! This place is never as packed as it should be considering the amazing cocktail list and consistently delicious food. My boyfriend and I regularly come here just the two of us and with groups. Everyone we bring here always loves it. This is one of my favorite restaurants in SF, and not enough people appreciate it!Special Features:
- Great place and excellent serviceDejanDined on 5/30/2014We went to Burrit Room & Tavern to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We arrived about 10 minutes early so were prepared that we might need to wait but we were seated almost immediately - a sign of good things to come. The menu is not very big but all of the items that we ordered were prepared very well and we enjoyed very much the food and drinks (and the cocktails were great). The great food and service for a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but a bit disappointedGoodFoodAndOpenTableFanVIPDined on 5/25/2014We had yet to try Burritt Room & Tavern and were excited to finally check out a Charlie Palmer place. So, we entered with high expectations. I must say that the service was SUPER. The waitstaff were fantastic - sound recommendations, speedy service, unobtrusive. The food, on the other hand, could have been better. Some things (the brussel sprouts) were great but our burgers which were ordered "medium" arrived "well done". We appreciated the adjustment to our bill but would have been much happier with juicier burgers. Having said that, the burger topping and home made bun were delicious. I plan to give it another try and suggest you try it also. - oh, by the way, the drinks were terrific!Special Features:
- Great Experience with a groupFancyJB9VIPDined on 5/10/2014I came here with a party of 6 to entertain 3 out of towners and we had a fantastic time. We were running late and they accommodated a postponement to our reservation. We first hit the bar upon arrival and ordered the punch of the day bowl. Not only was it was delicious, but it lasted us through the entire dinner with several refills per person. Our server and bus boy were very friendly and serviceable. Their recommendations were spot on. We pretty much are family style and ordered almost one of everything. Not a single thing I tired I didn't like. I did enjoy the steak and the salmon the best. And as for dessert, make room for the shortcake and the pot de creme. I recommend this place to anyone for a group or date setting. It's fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute great choiceCgarAfishinadoDined on 5/8/2014Great Live Jazz mid-week, cool location for non-boring business dinner or date. Excellent staff and interesting meal choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great evening at the Burritt RoomKO27Dined on 5/3/2014I found the Burritt Room on Open Table and was a little wary after reading a few of the not as positive reviews. I have to say that I was really glad I decided to go as we were all extremely pleased with our meals and the service was outstanding. If you have a small group (4 or less) try to get one of the "booths" which is a more private dining experience!Special Features:
- Delicious & delightfulDinerSFVIPDined on 5/2/2014A great choice for a yummy dinner with friends. Our server was great and knew the menu very well. He was attentive and cared that we were happy. Nice food and nice decor made for a good evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gemFoodpornlizVIPDined on 5/1/2014What a great night we had here. I went with a few girlfriends on a thursday evening for dinner and drinks. The cocktails were outstanding and the food was decent portion sizes for the price. Only thing was my steak was overcooked. The service was good except my server forgot what wine I was having and poured the wrong one in my glass so we had an interesting mix of Pinot Noir and Malbec. This would not stop me from coming back. We split the bill 4 ways and for everything we ordered it was a very reasonable deal for fancy dining. They also had live jazz music playing through our dinner. Definitely will be going back another night for round 2.Special Features:
- Bar business is booming thereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/11/2014Bar business is booming there and I now understand why. I came a bit early, but this seemed to upset the hostess, who snapped at a waitress to seat me. Don't care to know about internal personnel problems and I probably wasn't the first diner to be early ever. For this quick bite I ordered 2 appetizers. Why on earth there was a sous vide egg with the sweetbreads only the cook would know. Sweetbreads are sufficiently inexpensive that the restaurant should not have to stretch this. The second item I ordered was fried brussel sprouts. Why on earth the cook felt moved to add crème fraiche to the sprouts escaped me. In addition, having to ask for bread before a meal, is another novel twist on stretching the restaurant's budget.Special Features:
- We had an excellent time.FriendDined on 4/4/2014We had an excellent time. The food was fabulous and the service thoughtful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 14 years together and in the cityMonabumDined on 3/31/2014We love Charlie Palmer we have been to most of his place on the west coast. This was our first time at the Burritt tavern. We loved it the our server Michael was amazing he told us to get this chocolate dessert that was to die for it taste like a sundae. The food and drinks were so good. We will be back I want to stay at the hotel too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.