Burke & Wills
226 West 79th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AustralianPrice: $31 to $50
Burke & Wills
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.burkeandwillsny.com/
- Phone: 6468239251x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch/Lunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Australian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Stan Matusevich
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Burke & Wills
Modern Australian bistro focusing on seasonal produce. Chef Stan Matusevich creates a menu of modern Australian fare, with items including creative takes on authentic dishes like a Kangaroo Burger. The restaurant also features a selection of seafood from the Raw Bar, as well as daily changing specials from the Rotisserie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Burke & Wills reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (56)romantic (38)special occasion (30)vibrant bar scene (19)great for brunch (18)good for groups (17)late-night find (7)scenic view (7)hot spot (7)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Fun brunchfoodieDined on 9/28/2014The brunch was excellent and the service great! I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed Down UnderSAL1VIPDined on 9/27/2014Menu looked promising and several items delivered. Gnocchi was soft and puffy. Lamb was delicious and prepared medium rare so ordered. Service was frightful. Waited almost a half hour for our cocktails to be delivered and then, of course, the food arrived immediately .... The food almost beat the cocktails. The waitress for an adjoining table saw our problem and went to search. The glasses were overfilled with big ice cubes that had to be picked out before you could tip the glass to drink. The service spoiled what could have been a nice neighborhood dinner. Once again, the food was very tasty and well plated.
- DeliciousLuv2eatDined on 9/25/2014Well prepared and tasty dinner. The restaurant is beautiful, cozy and wonderful for conversation. What a wonderful addition to our Upper West Side neighborhood.Special Features:
- RomanticGenaGDined on 9/23/2014Great atmosphere for the UWS. Service was excellent. There is a secret speak easy upstairs that has a great feel to it. Would highly recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hubby liked too burgerJan123Dined on 9/19/2014We walked in to a quaint appearing bar with attractive wood rafters and partitioned bar seating. We were seated in a very attractive room with glass skylights and promptly waited on by a personable waiter. Tuna criudo was excellent as was the too burger and salmon. Chocolate cake was moist and rich Would absolutely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisedmikeg52Dined on 9/14/2014Had a birthday dinner after a trip to the Museum of Natural History. Waitress and manager extremely pleasant and explained Australian sensibilities about food and wine. Portions were small to medium but appetizers, and entrees were extremely well prepared and bordering on memorable. Have to admit that it was one of my most enjoyable restaurant experiences in quite a long time.Special Features:
- Hungry and PuzzledOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I really wanted to like this place more. Whilst the service was good and we liked the ambiance, we were left hungry by the undersized meals, and puzzled by the deconstructed Pavlova desert. Why not make a proper Pavlova?
- What a fantastic dining experience!JimSDined on 9/5/2014We went here to celebrate a friends birthday last night & it was amazing! The food & plating were excellent and the ambiance was great!! The hostess, waiter, and manager seemed so invested in making sure we had a great time and that the birthday boy was made to feel extra special. Our server Cassie was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. She made us feel like we were the only guests that mattered in the restaurant and they were busy. She was fantastic! Afterwards we went upstairs to the speakeasy which I also highly recommend. I was looking for a specific drink that they didn't have the ingredients for but the skilled bartender was able to make something comparable and it was delicious! This was our first but certainly not our last visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch SpecialsEmilyRMMcDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful brunch menu as well as a great cocktail list. Perfect for a Sunday with friends or your significant other!Special Features:
- Totally Unexpected!SalkaDined on 8/25/2014Came for my birthday as I wished to stay low-key and outside my neighbourhood. It appears to be quite the dive bar which is what I anticipated but was greeted by an elegantly dressed hostess who showed us to our table. In their dining room I was pleasantly surprised. Formidable wine and cocktail list which complemented the Aussie theme. For starters, my girlfriend and I ordered a few oysters on the half shell and the baked marrow. We both agreed that it was the best we had in NYC! Entrees included the roasted duck dish and the Roo burger. Everything was cooked perfectly and seasoned equally as well. I'm definitely looking forward to coming back here! Definiely what I needed for a quite mellow bday meal that really hit the spot!Special Features:
- UWS gemKristinMillerDined on 8/21/2014Waited for our reservation in the upstairs speakeasy. Great decor, interesting cocktails and an overall cozy feel. We were seated in the downstairs atrium where the great decor continued and I was happily surprised with fantastic food. The octopus was cooked to perfection & the gniocchi melted in my mouth.Special Features:
- ExcellentNasibaDined on 8/14/2014Love this restaurant ! Recommended to all my friends alreadySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itepak10Dined on 8/14/2014I really liked the kangaroo burger; give it a try if you're in the area!Special Features:
- Twice in two weekswhoknewDined on 8/12/2014We love this place so much we dined here twice in a two-week period. New York City has more than 45,000 places to eat, so you can imagine how good this place has to be to capture a native's attention. Have the lamb. Definitely try the kangaroo (yes, you'll have to get over your American aversion to the "cute" factor). When they bring you bread, ask them to bring you butter (instead of the olive oil) and then sprinkle the unbelievably good salt (yes, health nuts, I said salt AND butter) on the buttered goodness. It's an epic start to whatever you order (lamb, lamb, lamb!). The Aussie accents make the attentive wait staff even more charming. Don't miss the (cash only) happy hour! You'll be talking about your meal for days.Special Features:
- Great to dineGerman87Dined on 8/11/2014We went there cause of Restaurant week and everything was perfect. I has the watermelon salad, kangaroo burger and the hazelnut cake. Yummy!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After the Natural History Museum...gomoDined on 8/11/2014Excellent dinner. Love the spiced duck and my husband loved wthe salmon. I will go back for a kangaroo burger!Special Features:
- Deliciousfood & exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/9/2014My second time back and I was not disappointed. The menu has changed and still offers great choices. The food was tasty, well presented and they ensure everyone's meal arrives at once. The service is attentive and friendly. They remembered us from last time which is always nice. I'd definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageWarrickFDined on 8/8/2014Service was good. We only had a couple appetizers of which the lamb was Amazing the other dishes ( octopus and prawns ) were pretty average. Drinks we also pretty good.
- Small portions & gristleChewysteakandveryloudDined on 8/8/2014The 10 oz NY strip (which appeared to be about 6 oz) I was served was not cooked properly and had 2 major areas of gristle. Prior to this I found a live fruit fly swimming on top of my beer. My friend's entree consisted of 8 small gnocchi. She said the gnocchi was good but not enough. Very nice bar atmosphere, however. Would not go back. The place was quiet. IT WAS NOT VERY LOUD AT ALL. IT WAS QUIET.
- Pleasant atmosphere, so-so foodEatToLiveVIPDined on 8/7/2014Although the fish and chicken dishes were quite good --- we passed on the kangaroo burger mixed with pork--- the portion sizes were small. Even in NYC, $16 for the microscopic sized, not to mention charred to the point of being burned, octopus appetizer is not considered good value. Nice main dining room though! This place is probably worth a try if you like Australian food and wine and are in the neighborhood, but not worth an extra trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC neighborhood find!SFfoodieVIPDined on 8/6/2014One more reason to move to NYC! Our family was here in New York (from San Francisco) for two weeks and found this Upper West Side restaurant. We enjoyed the salmon, sea bass, gnocchi and oysters, and everything was perfect! Please open up in SF!Special Features:
- Awesome DiscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/6/2014I've been in this neighborhood many times and never paid attention to this place. What a mistake. This sis truly a neighborhood gem! The ambience was incredible. I dine n the bak garden area and it was like a slice of paradise, so beautiful. The service and food were also worth the trip. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Amazing Aussie FoodLizBDined on 8/6/2014Loved visiting for restaurant week! The food and service was amazing and the staff was incredibly friendly. Loved the wine and pre fix pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes, it's actually kangarooSaintMarkyVIPDined on 8/5/2014Can only attest to restaurant week menu - they swapped the vegetarian option but didn't tell us until after we tried to order it. Good deal/sell on the wine pairing.Special Features:
- Good Food, friendly atmosphere!WestsideDined on 8/3/2014Good food and service. Small space but tables large, so you don't feel cramped. Will definitely return. Bar Happy Hour was lively.$1.00 oysters served at bar only. Desserts were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Boozy BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014I went here with a group of friends on a Gilt City coupon and it was fabulous. The brunch food menu is limited, but all of the options are great. Between the six of us we all tried something different and no one was disappointed. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Great dinner out.mickzoopusDined on 8/2/2014Great service, great food, great experience. It has a strong Australian influence without being overbearing. The entire staff was attentive and enjoyable. The food was delicious and the atmosphere fit in line with the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Went here for restaurant week. Loved the Australian cricket bar upstairs; great ambience and cocktails. The dining room was very nice, sort of a home-feel to it. The food was good but nothing special. I did like the kangaroo burger a lot. I'm a big fan of desserts and was disappointed by the hazelnut cake; it was very dry and the presentation was not very fancy. We chose a wine pairing, however for each course our wines were late and we had to ask for it. The wines were great though! Our waitress was nice, however kind of hard to understand as she spoke so fast. All and all we had a very nice evening out, but not sure given the value for money whether we would come back here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014The food was great but I think the male waiter could have been more friendlier. The woman waitress was wonderful, informational and patient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tinychinaDined on 7/30/2014My best friend and I always go to different restaurants for restaurant week. As I was browsing through each category, I was surprised that your restaurant had a kangaroo burger, which was my main reason to go there. I was skeptical at first to try, but I'm a big foodie and love to try all different types of food. And honestly, Burke & Wils was a great find! We had the corn soup (surprised it was served cold!) and asparagus, roo burger and salmon, pavlova and brownie. The Roo Burger was unique and creative, better than I expected. All the food was cooked right on target for temperature requests. Overall, all the food had great flavor and good portion sizes. Compliments to chef, well done!Special Features:
- Yes! Oz has cuisine worth exportingLadyMurasakiVIPDined on 7/29/2014But it isn't just the food ('roo burgers, coriander-crusted lamb chops, pork shoulder and oysters all excellent). Burke & Wills has managed to import that hard-to-define Australian spirit of getting the best out of life without appearing to take it too seriously. There is nothing amateur or slapdash about the decor, the food or the service, but it all still manages to ooze an infectious playfulness. Perfect antidote to the blues or the blahs, perfect place to enchant a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burke & WillsDinaDined on 7/24/2014Staff was so friendly. Very attentive. The food was good as well - the dessert was kind of lackluster (brownies tasted store bought). The only reason I take off for ambiance was we were VERY close to our neighbors, though the upstairs speakeasy was GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Aussie restaurant and bartwofoodiesDined on 7/24/2014Another restaurant week comes around and we're out trying new places again: A lovely open-air feel dining room with its glass ceiling - the grey leather banquettes made it very fresh & relaxing for a summer dinner. The menu looked so good that we skipped the restaurant week menu and tried the 'prawns on the plancha' (wonderful Asian-style grilled shrimp), I had the lamb garganelli (beautifully slow-cooked lamb in a lovely sauce) and my husband had the kangaroo burger (nicely cooked & tasty meat, with great chunky fries). We enjoyed some great cocktails, beer & wine, as well as dessert: affogato & pavlova (the only miss of the night, not a real pavlova at all!) All in all a great meal & wonderful service. P.S. Don't miss the bar upstairs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert is a must do!CelesteBDined on 7/24/2014The service overall was incredible. To drink I had the Kylie Minogue which was very tasty and virgin. Then I had the chilled corn soup and my friend had the watermelon salad - both were good. I also had the slow cooked salmon which was good but couldve been cooked more. My friend had the spiced duck but she complained that it was very bland and undercooked. I did get a chance to taste the duck and I agree that it was undercooked but it was pretty tasty to me. For dessert I had the Bombolini and was so glad I did go with that option. My friend chose the ice box brownie and was again miserable with her choice. My dessert consisted of warm donuts filled with dulce de leche topped with ice cream. I would return for the dessert itself alone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!YuliyaDined on 7/23/2014It was absolutely amazing experience. Atmosphere, food, service, location - you name it.Special Features:
- Not sure I'd returnRayUWSVIPDined on 7/23/2014I've lived in this immediate neighborhood for years and this is the first time I've eaten in whatever restaurant has occupied this space. I went for Restaurant Week and one thing that drives me crazy is when restaurants include items on this menu but there's an upcharge - Burke & Wills do this with 1 of 3 apps, and 1 of 3 main courses. Restaurant Week is about restaurants offering a Prix Fixe menu, not demonstrating that this policy doesn't settle with them. Also, the waiter was less than helpful when recommending wine - maybe I shouldn't hold that against the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Service and Great CocktailsJayjayDined on 7/22/2014Definitely go for happy hour, delicious cocktails with oysters and bar snacks. Keep in mind that the happy hour specials do not apply in the back dining hall. The back end of the restaurant for dining is very pleasant and great for a lunch/early evening date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!n4foodiesDined on 7/18/2014The service is really nice and attentive. We ordered Grilled Asparagus with poached egg, heart of palms puree, crispy onions, kaffir chili sauce was very nice and and well balanced. The Coriander Crusted Lamb Ribs was simple delicious, and the fluke ceviche was fresh and had a nice flavor. My friend and I really enjoyed the experience here and you definitely want to have desert. They are amazing :-Special Features:
- Rebirth of the Aussie RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014We liked the rebirth of what was once called the Sunburnt Calf. The restaurant essentially feels like it was re-skinned, not many major changes to food or the quality of service, but with a nice new paint job. The new decor and ambiance are more swanky, but it's not too snooty for a casual weekend brunch. The food tasted good, as it did before, though they seem to have polished it a bit, and everything was particularly sharp on our visit. We look forward to returning again. Only negative was that the music was blasting when we first arrived, though they happily adjusted it upon request. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keep it up!NewYorkJJVIPDined on 7/12/2014The neighborhood needs this place. To all who read this review, definitely try Burke & Wills...just don't make it so popular that I won't be able to get a table.Special Features: