Burger and Barrel
25 West Houston
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Burger and Barrel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.burgerandbarrel.com/
- Phone: (212) 334-7320
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday: 11:30am - 4pm
Breakfast: Saturday & Sunday 10am-1pm,
Weekend Lunch from 12-4pm
Dinner: Sunday 5pm-10pm Monday-Thursday 4pm-11pm; Friday 4pm-12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Josh Capon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Burger and Barrel
B&B features a pub-style menu, anchored by burgers and other American food items. The Restaurant has a serious wine by the glass program and offers 4 wines on tap, 2 of which are locally made. B&B is a very neighborhood driven restaurant, moderately priced, and open lunch/dinner - 7 days a week and late hours on weekends. B & B accepts reservations for lunch, dinner reservations are only accepted for groups larger than 6.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Burger and Barrel reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (22)notable wine list (19)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (16)great for brunch (13)great for lunch (11)romantic (8)late-night find (8)special occasion (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- On My Go-To LustFoodieVIPDined on 5/7/2014Attentive service with great food. With return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!HaylzmilDined on 4/24/2014The food was great! The service was fast and even though it was more expensive, it was definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014I was visiting from California and was thrilled that my google search for best burgers in soho led me to Burger and Barrel. The burgers were moderate in size and I really liked that. Something tasty, reasonably priced and a sophisticated size. I didn't want something overly large and sloppy!Special Features:
- Great TimeDanielleDined on 4/17/2014I had a great time at dinner on Thursday. I am so glad that I made a reservation in advance. The restaurant was completely packed when I walked in, but I didn't have to wait for my table. Everything my date and I ordered was amazing, specifically the southern fried chicken and the pork ribeye with bok choy. I can't wait to come back and try the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait for serviceKalliDined on 4/16/2014Waited for 1 hour before they brought our food. !!
- DeliciousAKKatVIPDined on 4/16/2014This was definitely worth a visit. My husband swears it is one of his favorite steaks in the whole city. He can't stop raving. I enjoyed the veggie burger that I had and the appetizers we split. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Special Hemingway burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2014I had the special Hemingway burger being made for a few weeks in April, and it was delicious. They did an excellent job recreating a recipe and creating spices that are no longer produced from scratch. The burger was cooked perfectly so that every bite was oozing with juicy goodness. The service was just as great as the food. I made a reservation for 2, only to find that a 3rd friend was showing up. The restaurant was packed, but the hostess was able to get an extra chair for us. The waiter was attentive: our water glasses were kept full, orders were taken quickly, and the food was served promptly. We also tried the cabernet sauvignon on draft, which was good & reasonably priced. I'll be going back sometime to try their normal menu.Special Features:
- Bash Burger RecommendedbaconjamfanDined on 4/12/2014Excellent bloody mary and bash burger with bacon jam. One of top 5 in the city, same tier as BLT Grill, Five Napkin Burger, Minetta TavernSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restarauntcollkDined on 4/9/2014My boyfriend arranged everything including flowers that were at the restaraunt waiting for us when we got there. Great food (get the cheese board!) very attentive staff. We were not rushed. It was awesome!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not as good asbitjdellDined on 4/8/2014Good but not as good asbit use to be...burgers keep shrinking in sizeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy but loudDanielDined on 4/4/2014Really good food (we had Burgers, of course), but the recommended wine could have been better (had a californian Zinfandel for >>40 USD). Atmosphere is nice because of very well made low-light ambience, but it's quite noisy (voices and music).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDaisyDined on 4/3/2014We had a great dinner at Burger and Barrel! I had the veggie burger which was very good. My BF had the classic burger had the classic burger which he loved and said that the meat was very well seasoned. The fries were also very good. My only real complaints were the music and service. Our server was "breathing down our necks" for a drink order before our butts even touched the chair but then disappeared for 20 minutes. The place wasn't crowded so I didn't understand her inattentiveness. She recommended a beer that they didn't have and then when we reordered didn't bring our drinks. We couldn't find her at all after we got our food and had to ask someone else for condiments and more drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingphilstillDined on 3/23/2014After theatre find. Selections were varied and appealing. Food served timely and hot temp. Waitress helpful in selections and recommendations. Atmosphere warm personable. Would have stayed longer enjoying the seating but schedule did not permit. Look forward to return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine and good burgersphlaidbackDined on 3/21/2014We tried the bash style burger, and the onion and bacon jam was exellent. I will try to copy this at home! The burgers was a perfect rare as we ordered, and the truffled fries was also wery good. The recommended wine was also very good!Special Features:
- Simply AwesomeNoQualmsDined on 3/19/2014Classy, delicious, affordable...I love B&B. Fish tacos to start were crispy and tasty. One of the best burgers in the city, and a solid beer selection. No complaints, everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best NYC burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/16/2014Another vote for the bash burger and I'm not a huge bacon fanatic. Burger is cooked perfectly and even with all of the extravagant toppings, the meat still shines through. Went for brunch on a Sunday and typically the rosemary tots are only on the lunch and dinner menu but the server was kind enough to ask the kitchen to make some for our table which was much appreciated. Get the tots- they are that good. I think this place is overlooked for brunch - they do typical brunch dishes along with their namesake burgers and it's not crowded at all which means no wait and good service. Look forward to coming back when the next burger craving hits.Special Features:
- Good Food, Horrible ServiceHungryVIPDined on 3/14/2014I've been here numerous times because I love the Bash Burger. On Friday night, brought some friends who were in from out of town. Service was so bad I was embarrassed I recommended this place. We waited 20 minutes for someone to first come over and bring us water. it then took at least 10 minutes for someone to come over to order drinks The hostress ended up taking drink orders because there was still no server in sight. Finally a waitress came by and said she would be taking care of us because the waiter whose table it was was too busy with big party of 20 next to us. Dididnt believe that and totally unacceptable. The burger was very good as always, but the service debacle left us all disappointed and hard to recommend to other friends.Special Features:
- Excellent placeTinaDined on 3/8/2014The place is small and compact and a bit noisy. Initially, the waitress was a bit pushy, but once the food came, she backed off. The food was excellent and came out rather quickly. We ordered small plates and entrees and everything was delicious and in good portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMouseVIPDined on 3/8/2014I have been here a free times and always enjoyed. This time was very disappointing. Got what they call a panini and what it was was a sand which on a soft roll. Need to expand brunch menueSpecial Features:
- Service Needs WorkpingoDined on 3/6/2014The service could have been a little more friendly. We also had planned on getting appetizers and just drinking and eating after we had finished some small plates but were given the check as if we werent going to be allowed to stay without ever asking for it. That wasn't great. Food was good, service - eh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go There!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/4/2014Had dinner there recently and it was the best overall dining experience I've had in a long time! The food was great and left be wanting to come back and try the rest of the great choices. This place is perfect for dates, casual meals and after work drinks! I would recommend this place to anyone looking for great food and great service. Bottom line, go there and try it for yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a burger place…kablooomDined on 3/2/2014This place had *incredible* fried chicken. I ordered the bash burger that was delicious, but I was definitely jealous of the people who ordered the fried chicken. The chicken lollipops, the raviolo, and the beet salad were also highlights. Lowlights include the caesar salad (which is kind of a deconstructed take on it) and the dessert. We ordered from the fixed price menu and tried both the toffee cake (super dry) and banana cream pie (nothing special) offered. Wish we'd looked at the regular dessert menu, the apple fritters smelled great. Server was nice, but it felt like she was rushing us out. She also was very difficult to hear and it was NOT because the noise level was overpowering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/2/2014I was very excited to try this place, as I am a huge fan of the sister restaurant, Lure Fishbar, and because the brunch menu looked fantastic. Unfortunately, upon receiving our food, we were extremely disappointed. The baked eggs were sitting in a lukewarm soup of white beans, the egg whites not fully cooked. The duck hash had pools of duck fat just sitting beneath it, and lacked any sort of seasoning (which was needed). The shared truffle fries were the highlight of the meal.
- Bash Burger BonanazaCelaVIPDined on 2/28/2014I've been in NYC for a couple of months now and have already had a couple of really good burgers, at places such as Go Burger, Bare Burger, Walter Foods and Candle79. So expectations were high when we went to Burger and Barrel - we were not disappointed. The Bash Burger just blew my socks off, the onion and bacon jam and the truffle fries took it to another level!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, the place wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/20/2014Food was good, the place was very nice, and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Evening!JuliaDined on 2/18/2014Thank you so much for the wonderful night. A lovely lady came by with a delicious sparkling wine. Such a treat! She was a delight as well! The meal was superb! Everything was perfect! And it was my birthday, so it was even better! I can't wait to come back! Thank you, JuliaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgers, french friesseriousfoodieVIPDined on 2/17/2014Great burgers, french fries and onion rings..neighborhood SOHO gem.Special Features:
- Amazing DinnerItsNotaHalfDayDined on 2/8/2014We hadn't been before but what a dinner! The specialty drinks were incredible and the Bash Burger, chicken lollipops and raviolo were truly delicious standouts. My wife and I also loved the meatballs and the burrata. This is a fantastic spot for a special dinner you won't forget!!Special Features:
- Great casual brunchEmJulesDined on 2/8/2014This is a great place to grab a casual, cozy brunch in the neighborhood. The restaurant starts getting crowded around 1pm, but before that you won't have much trouble getting a table. The breakfast sandwiches in particular are delicious - I would recommend the B&B BLT. The service is bit on the slow side, but attentive nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice vibe, good foodTresaCDined on 2/6/2014Tjhois was the first time I went to Burger and Barrel for dinner. I have been for lunch a few times. From the reception at the hostess stand to the friendly bartender and the server when seated for dinner, I truly enjoyed the dining experience. I went for the burgers and beer and enjoyed both. My companion and I both selected the lamb burger (I had sweet potato fries, he had a salad) served in the right portions and a nice selection of beers that encouraged exploration. There was also wine by the barrel with decent selections, as well. Food is fresh and flavorful, service is good and ambiance is relaxed and welcoming. The rest of the menu is interesting, but this is my go-to for burgers and beer, as it should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew it was so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/4/2014Passed this place a million times. Finally went b4 a movie at the Angelika. Warm, inviting place. Incredibly interesting menu. Delicious food; prompt service; excellent (if pricey ) wine BTG. Would go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014For a place that fashions itself a burger joint, I'd say that something was left to be desired. Great appetizers, great cocktails, friendly staff but mediocre burger at best. Plus they serve the burger cut in half which in my opinion is the equivalent of serving a sandwich with the crust cutoff. Only should be done if the patron is under 10 years old or specifically asked for it. Next time I go back, I'm ordering 2 meatball apps as my main main course. They were delicious. Overall had a good experience and would recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Bash Burger!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014Go hungry! You will want to eat every bite! I had heard about these burgers for a couple years, and was really excited to get to try this experience for my friends birthday. The Bash Burger lived up to the hype. Six of us enjoyed the Bash Burger and one enjoyed the Lamb Burger, another crowd pleaser. The drinks were great and we shared two small plates (the mac n' cheese and the chicken lollipops) between the seven of us. We were more than full! The service was great, and prompt and we did not feel rushed even after spending two hours there. One MINOR negative anyone had was the dim lighting near the bathroom. Many of us did have interesting/funny stories surrounding our bathroom adventure - so it was not a detriment to the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Appetizers / Small PlatesJanWVIPDined on 1/30/2014Whether a quick bite or dinner, Burger and Barrel does not disappoint. The wine selection and appetizers ensure tasty treats which are fun to try and delicious as well. This is a great place for good food after a movie at the Angelika (across the street). The atmosphere is warm and inviting, and the service is quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great unexpected spot. Thefoodie789Dined on 1/28/2014Great unexpected spot. The burgers were delicious, prime rib tacos were equally delicious, wish there were more. Interesting mixed cocktails. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger & Barrel is MISSFit4foodieVIPDined on 1/27/2014It took 40 minutes for our first drink order to be served. The place wasn't busy and it was adequately staffed. Why do they think it's okay to serve cold onion rings? You would think a medium rare burger would at least have a little pink inside of it, after all it is a burger place. I've been to B and B many times, but it has failed the last two times. I will never ever be going back.
- Amazing burgers and a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Amazing burgers and a great bar. Love their apps and they did a great job of a birthday dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best wings in nyc... in the worldfishaDined on 1/20/2014the chicken lollipops are the best, the chef fashions an unexpected portion of the wing by removing the large bone and leaving the tender meat to crisp on the outside and lather with mildly spicy buffalo sauce. lots of great items to choose from, the burgers are on point and executed as expected from a nation burger winner.Special Features:
- Great burger!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2014Went here for lunch with a group of 4. We had reservations and were seated at a random table at the end of the bar. We were in the way of people at the bar and seemed to be forgotten about by the waiter. We got our water right away, but were never asked if we wanted to order drinks. I like a good beer with my burgers and was slightly disappointed by the small beer list. The burger was amazing and was brought out quickly after ordering. The great food made up for the slow start!Special Features:
- Decent BrunchsweetnnuttycandyVIPDined on 1/4/2014A friend and I went here for brunch. The service was pretty good, the food was good and had a decent selection. One bad thing: the "brunch special" only went from 10am-12pm. Not really acceptable for a Saturday brunch, especially since they kept using the brunch menu past that time (instead of a lunch menu)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.