11949 West River Road
Champlin, MN 55316Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.buonaserawinebar.com/
- Phone: (763) 421-1814
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Closed Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Buona Sera
Buona Sera is a cozy neighborhood restaurant and wine bar featuring the wonderful and authentic Italian recipes of renowned chef, Raffaele Virgillo. When you walk in the door you're treated like family. Enjoy good food, good wine, good company and of course, a Good Night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Buona Sera - Best Restaurants in Champlin ›
Buona Sera reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)special occasion (56)romantic (48)notable wine list (40)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (17)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Perfect birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Buona Sera is definitely a neighborhood gem. The atmosphere is romantic and the food is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buena eatsFrankoDined on 11/6/2014Cultured, but not snobby. As authentic as you can get in Minnesota. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TammyAndMikeVIPDined on 10/30/2014Never disappoints. Staff are always very friendly and give great service. Food is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!KLINGERDined on 10/29/2014Our favorite place for a special occasion! Whether it's family & friends or just me & my husband - always an amazing meal & great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy or crammed?FoodieDined on 10/25/2014We were excited to try this place after a friend recommended it. Our table was next to the entrance which was unpleasant to say the least. We continuously got whiffs of cigarette smoke from fellow diners going in/out for a smoke break and every time new guests were getting seated, they bumped into our chairs or my purse or my arm, etc The server was just ok and often took a while to check on us/fill our waters, etc. The food left much to be desired. The bread was dry, the drinks were bland, and our apps and entrees were ok but nothing special. We ordered the caprese and fried shrimp for apps and the pollo saltimbocca and penne with pancetta (can't recall the actual name). Both tasted like something I could make at home-only mine is better.
- wonderfulluv2dineatbattistasDined on 10/23/2014It was a memorabe night the whole dining experience from beginning to end was exquisiteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Kept Secret1FanDined on 10/22/2014The food is amazing. The service is spot on. This is a quiet out of the way small restaurant that will knock your socks off! Great for a romantic dinner or perfect for a group of 4.Special Features:
- CandW2009Dined on 10/21/2014The service was very prompt & attentive at all the right times. You don't usually consider an Italian restaurant for seafood, but the pecan crusted salmon was delicious! And don't forget to save room for some of their homemade gelato.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/21/2014Dinner was fabulous. Our waitress Lori went above and beyond for us. Everything she suggested was spot on. Do not leave there without trying the Pumpkin Martini (I am sure desserts are wonderful - but this is a must!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!JuliannDined on 10/18/2014The food was great, the service was great, and the restaurant was beautiful. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Great Food and Service!Foodie77Dined on 10/16/2014We wanted to dine at an exceptional resteraunt to celebrate our 32nd Wedding Anniversary! What we found in our own neighborhood could not be found anywhere else, an exceptional dinner at Buona Sera! Excellent service, wine selection, and cuisine were all apparent at this eatery! We had excellent service! The Lobser Raviloli was exceptional (chefs special)! The House Wine selections were excellent! We were thankful to have made reservations, as even on a Thursday night, the place was full! We were never rushed during our dinner, either! Why dine downtown, when you can have an exceptional dinner right in Champlin?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2014What a great place to celebrate my mother-inlaw's birthday. They absolutely loved it. The atmosphere, the wine, the food and especially the service. Our server was fantastic; full of personality and wit. He really made the experience memorable.Special Features:
- Fabulous romantic restaurant!BucafanDined on 10/10/2014Great food, wonderful staff and a special restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice, good couples night outPortugueseGirlDined on 10/4/2014This is my second time and we will return; it is one of the best options we've found in the northern metro. What I feel is the best, is the intimate interaction with chef and willingness to personalize items at your request. It tuly is a "Little Italy" experience. If you've not been to Italy and want to get a sense of what it would be like, I would highly recommend trying it. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want. Also, I'd say it is small and better suited for date night for couples or 2 couples for an adult night out. Just my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buona SeraBeckyDegDined on 10/3/2014This is the third time we've been to Buona Sera for our anniversary over the years and this place never disappoints! They always ask if you are there for a special occasion and interact with your table accordingly. The chef visited each table this time which I thought was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Luv2eatVIPDined on 10/3/2014Very good food and service. This is normal and expected at Buona Sera. Always a good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceFatandHappyDined on 9/27/2014The food was amazing. Everything from the bread to the main course was just fantastic. Our waitress was very professional. She was very friendly and knowledgeable. She did not rush us but she kept our table clear and our glasses full.Special Features:
- Great dinningFantasticDined on 9/26/2014Excellent food. One of the only places around that serves veal [ great veal entrees]. Great wine and great staff.Special Features:
- overall experienceEmboDined on 9/26/2014Our service was great, my beef medallion’s were cooked perfect but my wife had the veal and it was not as tender as should be or as we have had before , we always enjoy the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint authentic restaurantfoodieaddict2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food was delicious and authentic Italian cuisine. The portions were very generous. I was a little disappointed when I was not able to view a wine list because they were updating it. I was also surprised to learn that I would be charged $3 extra if I wanted anchovies in my Caesar salad. Not sure how often they update their website, but many of the prices listed were less than what was on the actual menu. They is a great restaurant tucked in a Champlin neighborhood. They just need to work on a few details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and Fun PlaceGoodfoodonlypleaseDined on 9/20/2014We have been going to Buona Sera since its opening and it remains top of our list of favorite places to go for those special occasions. The food is always exceptional, the atmosphere is fun but not rowdy, the wine list is always good and the Raffaele (the owner) takes great pride in his place and always adds that extra something when he's there. Love, love, love, this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood restaurantcloudycatDined on 9/18/2014Reasonable prices and good food. Great service and homey atmosphere. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best kept secretdkrepsDined on 9/17/2014We went here for an anniversary and the food was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again an outstanding evening.BluesMayorDined on 9/16/2014Thanks Rafael for the great menu and great food. Your staff was exceptional and helped make my wife's birthday a great evening. You never disappoint. The pork with gorgonzola was delicious and everyone loved their food. By the way the walleye cakes where awesome.Special Features:
- Server Kelly was GREAT!InfrequentDinersDined on 9/13/2014After an initial drive-by, we found an entrance to a back parking lot and were impressed with the glowing fire pit. Upon walking inside, we were a little surprised that the atmosphere did not seem to match what we had seen on their website ... had we known, we'd have dressed more casually. Overhearing a lengthy phone conversation from the hostess, we learned she was new ... and, although she eventually gave us the nod acknowledgement that she'd be with us, we found it curious why another staff member couldn't have stepped in (they were not at all busy)? Finally, our fabulous server appeared and seated us ... Kelly took great care from there! Other than a dirty knife and tough cut of steak, the food tasted good but KELLY made the night!!Special Features:
- A Little Too Quaint...TheWingedOneDined on 9/12/2014I had read the reviews online and hoped the food would make up for the ambiance. It didn't. There was water damage on the ceiling that had obviously been there a while, the lights flickered constantly, and I couldn't shake the feeling I was in someone's living room. The food was overpriced and was very similar to a spicy Olive Garden. The wait staff was terrific, but it didn't make up for the shortcomings. Simply put, I could have had a better experience at Olive Garden, and that's sad.
- Fast351sgrlDined on 9/10/2014As always - great food, great service. It was a bit slower than usual, but our waiter let us know they were extra busy yet short staffed, and we didn't mind. I just finished the left-over pasta for breakfast this morning, and what a treat that was!Special Features:
- good foodmndinerDined on 8/31/2014They were out of manicotti but I ordered lobster ravioli which was fine just a bit to rich flavor for my taste. Husband had lasagne which he liked. Would go back hopefully they have manicotti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulJherekDined on 8/31/2014We drove from N Mpls to eat here, and were pleasantly surprised at the excellent food (the stuffed mushrooms are incredible) great service with friendly waitstaff and a nice well rounded wine list. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014Came here for our anniversary celebration. It was perfect. Our server was excellent. she was very attentive, gave reccomendations when asked and took good care of us! Our food was delicious. From the Spinach Dip appetizer to my pork medallion meal and my husbands steak, we enjoyed it all! We loved it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful time at Bunoa SeraOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Rachel, Our server, made this an experience. She was fantastic, she was informed and seemed excited about us being there for the experience. The Artichoke Spinach dip was gorgeous, unexpected visually and so tasty to top it off, not the white on white slop with spinach mixed in you get everywhere else. The Tortellini was the best I've ever had, the pasta was perfect without being mushy and the sauce was so pleasant and complimented all the ingredients bringing the dish together rather than over powering it like many other "Italian" restaurants seem to do. I don't like fish but the pecan glazed salmon I may actually order as my main the next time I visit it was that good! We will for sure be going back.Special Features:
- simply amazing!kingetteDined on 8/23/2014We noticed servers only have 4 tables no doubt a plan they know the minute you need something but they dont hover your table. Its a smaller venue but all the food smells blend well. Im very sensitive to sea food but the items that were served never over powered. For as small as it is was not too loud. They have a too die for wine menu and the server was on his game to pair based of what we said we liked not just off what we ordered on the menu. I camt wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014Neatly tucked away, little neighborhood secret. I have always driven by this place, but never knew anything about it. My first experience was amazing!!!! The food was really good, but the service will keep us coming back:) The staff here have some of the best personalities around!Special Features:
- Great Service!jeh1Dined on 8/19/2014We celebrated my Mother's 73rd birthday and everyone had a great time. The food is very good, the portions are huge and the service was exceptional. This is a great neighborhood spot and we were made to feel like we were family.Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014We love this restaurant! The food and service are fantastic! I've been here a few times and always order seafood inspired dishes and they all have been delicious! This quaint neighborhood restaurant is a gem! The place is small so it gets a bit noisy when full so if you prefer a little quieter atmosphere, go early as we do before it's crowded. I highly recommend this place!!Special Features:
- Italian GoodnessNotSuperCriticalDined on 8/9/2014Have driven past Buona Sera before and have seen the crowds, but Open Table got a spot for us within an hour and a half! It was less busy than I expected but I'm not sure why since the food, service and selection was great! The waitress hand-picked a wine for us, dinner was awesome and dessert was scrumptious! Had a great first experience at Buona Sera!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodMarty57Dined on 8/5/2014Our party of four enjoyed our wine and meal very much. Our server was attentive without being in the way. The food was wonderful. Very flavorful and presented nicely. We had the Pollo Saltinbocca, Beef Gorgonzola and Salmon. All fabulous! The dining room is a small space so a bit noisy but the coziness is what makes it special. This is our place to celebrate special occasions in our lives.Special Features:
- Luv2eatVIPDined on 8/1/2014It's always a delight to dine at Buona Sera. The food is always the BEST, and the service is always friendly and efficient. The entire service staff works together and provides unfailing great service. The only drawback (if there is one) is that you usually need a reservation or a spur of the moment visit can be a long wait for a table,.....if they can accommodate you. One of the best dining experiences in the Twin Cities!!!Special Features:
- FantasticRAMAADined on 7/30/2014Service and food were both exceptional. I brought a small group of seven from work for a business dinner and they really enjoyed both the food, service and ambience. My husband and I really enjoying stopping in there for dinner as often as possible along with the rest of my family. We always have great service and exceptional food.Special Features:
- The following 699 reviews are from the Buona Sera reviews archive.
- One of our favorit spotsnubien3Dined on 7/26/2014We absolutely love Buona Sera, every time we go we enjoy the food, the ambiance, and the service. It's one of those places that we often forget about because it's off the beaten path, but when we remember it we get excited! I'm so happy to have found this place, I've never been unsatisfied.Special Features: