11949 West River Road
Champlin, MN 55316Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.buonaserawinebar.com/
- Phone: 7634211814
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Closed Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Buona Sera
Buona Sera is a cozy neighborhood restaurant and wine bar featuring the wonderful and authentic Italian recipes of renowned chef, Raffaele Virgillo. When you walk in the door you're treated like family. Enjoy good food, good wine, good company and of course, a Good Night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Buona Sera - Best Restaurants in Champlin ›
Buona Sera reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)special occasion (58)romantic (52)notable wine list (34)fit for foodies (27)great for outdoor dining (19)good for groups (12)hot spot (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Server Kelly was GREAT!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014After an initial drive-by, we found an entrance to a back parking lot and were impressed with the glowing fire pit. Upon walking inside, we were a little surprised that the atmosphere did not seem to match what we had seen on their website ... had we known, we'd have dressed more casually. Overhearing a lengthy phone conversation from the hostess, we learned she was new ... and, although she eventually gave us the nod acknowledgement that she'd be with us, we found it curious why another staff member couldn't have stepped in (they were not at all busy)? Finally, our fabulous server appeared and seated us ... Kelly took great care from there! Other than a dirty knife and tough cut of steak, the food tasted good but KELLY made the night!!Special Features:
- A Little Too Quaint...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014I had read the reviews online and hoped the food would make up for the ambiance. It didn't. There was water damage on the ceiling that had obviously been there a while, the lights flickered constantly, and I couldn't shake the feeling I was in someone's living room. The food was overpriced and was very similar to a spicy Olive Garden. The wait staff was terrific, but it didn't make up for the shortcomings. Simply put, I could have had a better experience at Olive Garden, and that's sad.
- Fast351sgrlDined on 9/10/2014As always - great food, great service. It was a bit slower than usual, but our waiter let us know they were extra busy yet short staffed, and we didn't mind. I just finished the left-over pasta for breakfast this morning, and what a treat that was!Special Features:
- good foodmndinerDined on 8/31/2014They were out of manicotti but I ordered lobster ravioli which was fine just a bit to rich flavor for my taste. Husband had lasagne which he liked. Would go back hopefully they have manicotti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014Came here for our anniversary celebration. It was perfect. Our server was excellent. she was very attentive, gave reccomendations when asked and took good care of us! Our food was delicious. From the Spinach Dip appetizer to my pork medallion meal and my husbands steak, we enjoyed it all! We loved it and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful time at Bunoa SeraOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Rachel, Our server, made this an experience. She was fantastic, she was informed and seemed excited about us being there for the experience. The Artichoke Spinach dip was gorgeous, unexpected visually and so tasty to top it off, not the white on white slop with spinach mixed in you get everywhere else. The Tortellini was the best I've ever had, the pasta was perfect without being mushy and the sauce was so pleasant and complimented all the ingredients bringing the dish together rather than over powering it like many other "Italian" restaurants seem to do. I don't like fish but the pecan glazed salmon I may actually order as my main the next time I visit it was that good! We will for sure be going back.Special Features:
- simply amazing!kingetteDined on 8/23/2014We noticed servers only have 4 tables no doubt a plan they know the minute you need something but they dont hover your table. Its a smaller venue but all the food smells blend well. Im very sensitive to sea food but the items that were served never over powered. For as small as it is was not too loud. They have a too die for wine menu and the server was on his game to pair based of what we said we liked not just off what we ordered on the menu. I camt wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014Neatly tucked away, little neighborhood secret. I have always driven by this place, but never knew anything about it. My first experience was amazing!!!! The food was really good, but the service will keep us coming back:) The staff here have some of the best personalities around!Special Features:
- Great Service!jeh1Dined on 8/19/2014We celebrated my Mother's 73rd birthday and everyone had a great time. The food is very good, the portions are huge and the service was exceptional. This is a great neighborhood spot and we were made to feel like we were family.Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2014We love this restaurant! The food and service are fantastic! I've been here a few times and always order seafood inspired dishes and they all have been delicious! This quaint neighborhood restaurant is a gem! The place is small so it gets a bit noisy when full so if you prefer a little quieter atmosphere, go early as we do before it's crowded. I highly recommend this place!!Special Features:
- Italian GoodnessNotSuperCriticalDined on 8/9/2014Have driven past Buona Sera before and have seen the crowds, but Open Table got a spot for us within an hour and a half! It was less busy than I expected but I'm not sure why since the food, service and selection was great! The waitress hand-picked a wine for us, dinner was awesome and dessert was scrumptious! Had a great first experience at Buona Sera!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful foodMarty57Dined on 8/5/2014Our party of four enjoyed our wine and meal very much. Our server was attentive without being in the way. The food was wonderful. Very flavorful and presented nicely. We had the Pollo Saltinbocca, Beef Gorgonzola and Salmon. All fabulous! The dining room is a small space so a bit noisy but the coziness is what makes it special. This is our place to celebrate special occasions in our lives.Special Features:
- Luv2eatVIPDined on 8/1/2014It's always a delight to dine at Buona Sera. The food is always the BEST, and the service is always friendly and efficient. The entire service staff works together and provides unfailing great service. The only drawback (if there is one) is that you usually need a reservation or a spur of the moment visit can be a long wait for a table,.....if they can accommodate you. One of the best dining experiences in the Twin Cities!!!Special Features:
- FantasticRAMAADined on 7/30/2014Service and food were both exceptional. I brought a small group of seven from work for a business dinner and they really enjoyed both the food, service and ambience. My husband and I really enjoying stopping in there for dinner as often as possible along with the rest of my family. We always have great service and exceptional food.Special Features:
- One of our favorit spotsnubien3Dined on 7/26/2014We absolutely love Buona Sera, every time we go we enjoy the food, the ambiance, and the service. It's one of those places that we often forget about because it's off the beaten path, but when we remember it we get excited! I'm so happy to have found this place, I've never been unsatisfied.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014we totally enjoyed our dinner experience, the staff was attentive and the food was very good and fresh. will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- great date nightjcmaxmomDined on 7/25/2014Had A Great Night At Buena Sera. We Had A LeisurelY 2 Hour Dinner. Food Was Tasty And Came out Hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysseniomsedDined on 7/19/2014Buona Sera is our favorite special occasion restaurant. We enjoyed pre-dinner drinks on their patio. The wait staff is outstanding and the food is unbelievable. The stuffed mushroom appetizer - excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening DiningluvurfoodDined on 7/15/2014We really enjoyed our servers and the food was great. We definitely did not leave hungry and had to take some home with us. Thank you for the experience. We will definitely make a return trip some day.Special Features:
- MontanaWoehsmissingitalianDined on 7/12/2014In town visiting and happened to stop in. Food was amazing! Never had better Salmon...ever! Wine selection was fab! We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MandnDined on 7/12/2014We have been coming here for several years. We have always had great service and the food is outstanding!Special Features:
- Always Good!!CathDined on 7/12/2014We love going to Buona Sera for special occasions or if we really want great Italian food! The food is always good. It's such a cute spot and so different, we like to take friends there who have never been - they are surprised and always happy with the food.Special Features:
- Just as good as I rememberedmagicjake7Dined on 7/2/2014Took my girlfriend here for her birthday and put a note in that it was her birthday. All the staff wished her a happy birthday the entire night. The restaurant is cozy, so don't be put off if it appears small. The tables have plenty of room and all have paper tablecloths with crayons for all ages to enjoy. We went on a Wednesday evening and it was not very busy, but it appeared that there may have been one server missing as our waitress struggled to keep up with our table. She was very nice and very knowledgeable, but always seemed about 5-10 minutes behind. The food was outstanding and with perfect portions. The price is about olive garden give or take; for the two of us, a bottle of wine, an appetizer and two entrees was less than $100.Special Features:
- BrianBrianDined on 7/2/2014Went for our 3rd anniversary and had made some special requests through open table. The waitress remembered everything and managed to NOT make it feel like she was fishing for a tip. From the waitress to the chef asking about our meal service was exceptional. Sauces were great, veal was a titch overdone. Wine was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a little more!GermanChickDined on 7/1/2014To start with and what bothered me most was that my husbands and my pork medallions were not evenly cooked and raw in places. I also didn`t like the side paste swimming in marinara sauce. Sometimes less is more :) The overall taste was really good though!Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Awesome meal for our special occasion. Looking forward to bringing our out of town guest there.Special Features:
- Great Little PlaceSmurfDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I heard about this resteraunt after visiting its sister resteraunt in Stillwater. The food is delicious and authentic. As a person who is gluten intolerant I appreciate that they have a decent selection of entrees besides just pasta. Waitstaff has always been very friendly and helpful. We will continue to come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014food was very good but my friend had wanted a beef dish and was told that there was no more beef. waiter recommended alternate dish which quite a bit higher in cost. more appropriate alternate should have been offered. she was unhappy and will probably not dine here again.Special Features:
- Disappointed.LeahdDined on 6/20/2014I had been referred to this restaurant by a friend who swore the food was amazing. When we got there, we waited forever to be seen by our waitress- no water, no hello, nothing. I held out because the food was supposed to be good. The soup was great, but everything else was mediocre and a bit over cooked. I wouldn't have put up with the poor service if I had known that the food was nothing special.Special Features:
- GREAT DINNER!dinner4us2Dined on 6/20/2014We always look forward to dinners at Buona Sera especially when we can sit on the patio. As usual we were not disappointed. Great food and great service.Special Features:
- A little bit of Italy in ChamplinbadminDined on 6/18/2014Love this place! The food is awesome and to have the owner/chef have his touch on every meal AND come out and greet you at the table is something special. Food is a bit pricey, but is definitely worth those special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian2nearRRDined on 6/13/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants to go to for food quality only found in Italy. Everything was delicious!Special Features:
- Tired Italian so is the FoodSafariRomanticDined on 6/10/2014Tired Italian so is the Food... I like this place, its cozy warm great service and lots of potential. But the food quality is really sadly tiring, we have much better Italian chefs in the twin cities that cost much less. For example the mussels where overcooked, and the broth unseasoned and blend. So was the New York Strip, blend unseasoned not certainly not from the grill as it was stated on the menu, also all pastas where store bought. Nothing was homemade, sad very sad...wake up Chef -please.
- friday at buona seramankoviakDined on 6/6/2014A great night at a fun and happy place. High energy, great food and excellent service. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014The food and service were awesome. Only probably was getting to the restaurant as the City of Champlin had a citywide parade which shut down a lot of the roads to the restaurant. After 35 minutes of frustration, called the restaurant to cancel, then was informed to talk to policeman so we could get through barricade. Well worth going. Will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation Dinner for CreegnKatieDiningDined on 6/5/2014So happy we chose Buona Sera to eat at for my sons' graduation from transition school. The staff treated us like royalty and their sense of humor fit right in with ours. Even the owner came over to talk to us. Love this place!!!! Thank you so much for making our experience so memorable and enjoyable!Special Features:
- Dinner with my gal palsKatieDiningDined on 5/31/2014Went with two of my girl friends to eat dinner. We had a lovely time. All of us enjoyed our dinner so very much and was able to take some home for the next day! Love this little gem in my hood. Coming back this Thursday, June 5th for my sons graduation dinner!Special Features:
- I was expecting better.PeggyKDined on 5/30/2014I have been hearing rave reviews for years when this restaurant is mentioned but I wasn't very impressed. The service was slow and the food was just okay.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014The food was average with the prices in line. The service was very good. We were there 2 years ago and I remember the ceiling being dirty and grungy/nasty looking... it still is. I can't understand why they don't paint the damned thing.
- The following 674 reviews are from the Buona Sera reviews archive.
- You can always count on the foodfudee3Dined on 5/17/2014Hadn't been to in a couple of years, but was happy to see it still very busy. Had to wait about 10 min past our reservation time (which has normally been the case), but you can grab a quick drink at the bar to pass the time. We all tried different menu items and were all very pleased. The walleye cake appetizers were exceptional. We always love coming here and will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.