1609 India St.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.buonappetito.signonsandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192389880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Thursday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer full catering for any occasion. Office meetings, weddings, family reunions & private parties to name a few. From gourmet-elegant to casual fare we can meet your dreams. Our events coordinator will work with you individually to create your celebration feast!
A word from Buon Appetito
Urban Italian groove, old country cuisine with a modern flare. Buzzing with vibrant energy.Rotating local artists splashing their creations on our walls as we bring our culinary prowess to your table. Sustainable & local is our mantra. Our menu screams old school classics yet our specials are whimsical creations from whats in season. Quail, rabbit, lamb ~ Homemade gnocchi, lasagne and ravioli rock the casbah...Gluten-free & whole grain pastas are available as well as a wide variety of vegetarian items to choose from. "A day without wine is a day without sunshine" over 100 bottles & more than 20 by the glass are offered to dazzle and delight. This list is off the hook! Small, boutique wineries from all over the world! We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and high quality products for an enchanting experience for all of our guests. Raise your glass and fill your soul with heart and goodness ~ cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Buon Appetito - Best Restaurants in Little Italy ›
Buon Appetito reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (29)great for outdoor dining (24)special occasion (20)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (12)romantic (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (8)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Brought me back to childhood...but?NATCADined on 9/11/2014I almost wrote this review at the restaurant before dinner was served but I am glad I didn't. The night started out with flies and Nats everywhere. We were swatting them away and it was starting out to be a horrible night. We brought it to the attention of the hostess and the owner came over to address the issue. They lowered the shades and that seemed to get ride of the flies...not sure where they went though? I was highly disappointed and was going to just leave. Then out came the food...it was some of the best food I have ever had. It brought me back to when I was a kid and learned to cook. The pasta was just simply amazing. Great food but the fly and nat issue really should be fixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food in Little Italypractical1Dined on 9/10/2014Early supper. My chicken w/mozzarella and marinara sauce was quite good. I liked the Italian red wine that our waiter recommended -- there were several wines by the glass around $10 or less. It was fun to eat outside in Little Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service, & atmosphere!SoCalZDined on 9/8/2014I took my fiancee here last week for our two year anniversary dinner. Our official first date was here at Buno Appetito, which doesn't disappoint. Smaller, but comfortable restaurant with super professional and friendly staff. We absolutely love their vino list, appetizers, and raviolis! -Kevin.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2014The menu was very limited. The food was very "artsy". The dish my husband ordered was very dry. Mine was pretty good. Not outstanding. The waiter was great.Special Features:
- Fantastic RisottoAnonDined on 9/3/2014The food was fabulous. I had the risotto and it was perfectly flavored. My dining companions were similarly pleased with their choices. Four stars are due to the high noise level, but the service was great, very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't Hit the MarkRazzinAzDined on 9/3/2014The food (ravioli, carpaccio, pork osso buco, and filet gorganzola) was good, not great. The main server was very good, but his team was abrupt and unschooled, tossing dishes and 'buon appetito" without enthusiasm. We were expecting to be dazzled based on reviews and just had a nice dinner. Prices were very fair, though.Special Features:
- CliffCliffDined on 9/2/2014When we got to the restaurant, the restaurant was closed due to a power outage! Just a closed sign on the door. We never got an update from open table that the restaurant was not available. The restaurant is not the reason for the one star. Open Table gets the unsatisfactory for not notifying us that our reservations could not be honored. Had out of town guests! Unsat!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceByrneonTourDined on 8/31/2014Weekend in San Diego and found this gem on Yelp. Being the holiday weekend I booked through Open Table two hours before and I'm glad I did. It was so busy they were turning people away without a reservation. The smoked salmon ravioli has to be one of the best meals i have ever had, Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014We were there twice in one week because it was so good. The food is beyond excellent. The service was impeccable. On a scale of 1-10 I would have to give it a 15. Do not miss eating at Buon AppetitoSpecial Features:
- Delicious!Love2EatVIPDined on 8/27/2014Best osso buco I have ever eaten. Calamari was crisp and delicate, and the sauce was an excellent simple marinara to bring out the flavor of the squid. Loved the tricolore salad. Tried my friend's gnocchi and it was good. A bit heavier than I prefer (perhaps too much kneading and a little too much flour added to the potato) but the sauce was delectable and I would gladly eat it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrated 35th wedding anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Recommended by future daughter in law that used to live in San Diego -especially noted the spinach ravioli. Split as appetizer-exceeding in expectations to the point of wanting to lick the plate- manners only held us back. Most incredible homemade pasta and sauce -wanted more pasta dishes and truly contemplated going back for lunch but already had list of places to go. I ordered the Cioppino at the wait staff's suggestion after my questions - most incredible meal I've had. Topped it with great brunnelo wine that our kids gave to us as surprise gift -I'd go back every time in San Diego and wish they packaged their fresh pasta dishes and sauces that we could freeze and take home -that good!Special Features:
- pup1VIPDined on 8/24/2014The restaruant was packed on Sunday night and very, very noisey. Food and service were great! I would go back, but not during the peak weekend periods.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014It was one of the best meals we ever had. We are going to return ASAPSpecial Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/18/2014I had a hard time choosing a restaurant in Little Italy. I am glad I chose this one. The food was excellent, very old school.Special Features:
- Keeps us coming backHappyCamperDined on 7/31/2014Buon Appetito is by far the best all around restaurant in Little Italy! We came once and we keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to its reviewsFatDumbnHappyinSDDined on 7/30/2014First time we ventured to Little Italy for dining, so wanted to (hopefully) find a gem. We were NOT disappointed! Great wait staff who were attentive, courteous and very knowledgeable of the menu and wine list. Our main course food was excellent, as were both appetizers and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Airy-Open-Good ItalianPan2FVIPDined on 7/29/2014It seemed pretty authentic restaurant. I had booked a lunch appointment and couldn't wait to go back, unfortunately my appointment canceled so I had lunch by myself which was nice to catch up on work and enjoy the nice ambiance myself. Since they had given me the 2-seater table, it is really fit for a romantic lunch since they are very small and my iPad & phone were crowding the table with the bread & tomato sauce dip they serve, table was very crowded when the actual meal came out along with my drink, I heard quite a bit of Italian going around which was beautiful. Food was OK. Lasagna has carrots in it which I thought was strange & the sauce was very "soupy". I would go back & try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little Italy gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2014Our dinner here was the perfect ending to a perfect California trip. The homemade Lobster ravioli was scrumptious!Special Features:
- local1dinerVIPDined on 7/22/2014Hostess was rude. My 82 year old mother was with us. My husband dropped us off so she wouldn't have to walk so far from the car. The hostess would not seat us until all of us were there. I explained the issue, but she wouldn't help and was snippy even though we were not snippy with her. Instead, she started to seat everybody else - which worried us that we wouldn't get a seat inside. My mother could not sit outside. I asked her if she would at least save our reservation and her answer was vague- leading us to believe that we might not get seated inside. It was very tense for us. I see the point of this policy, but not in the case of the elderly. That's just crazy! Service and food were great, the hostess and the policy were not.Special Features:
- Dinner at Buon AppetitoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Went for my Dad's birthday. There were 5 of us. They first put us at a 4 person table near the high traffic bar. Asked to be moved away. Went to another 4 person table until I complained. Finally agreed to add a 2 person table. Uncomfortable wooden chairs had no padding at all. My 2 kids were 30 min late, but we had ordered wine and were just relaxing after Midway. They asked 3 times when the rest of the party would be there. Although I noted the birthday on the reservation, was never acknowledged. Food was very good and reasonable prices, but I was annoyed by these problems and probably wouldn't go back as there are so many other good Italian restaurants all over San Diego with much better atmosphere and friendlier service.
- Great find in Little Italy!JennyModDined on 7/21/2014Dined with a group of 8, 6 of us have been to Italy. We had the rabbit dish, gnocchi, fish stew, and several salads/wines. All was delicious, fresh, and served promptly. Staff was attentive. Food was as good as what we've eaten in Italy. Definitely worth a stop when in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!GSOFANSDined on 7/20/2014Cozy authentic regional Italian fare that is amazing! Incredible food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, ambience choaticWalkerDined on 7/20/2014I would recommend this restaurant based on the great food. The red sauce and bread were yummy. The only reason I would not probably go back is because of the almost unbearable noise level that made it difficult inside to have a conversation with the others at my table. I prefer a less chaotic venue for dinner but the larger groups and families with toddlers that were there did not seem to mind the noise. The restaurant only serves beer and wine in case that is important to you. The waiters were pleasant and attentive but seemed harried. India Street where this restaurant is located is a vibrant dining area and is fun to stroll along.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudJpbrenoDined on 7/16/2014Food was great. Do not sit against interior wall gloss paint acts as a reflector of everyone conversation Sit outsideSpecial Features:
- Sweet spot in Little Italy!mamatVIPDined on 7/13/2014The sister restaurant to our favorite i Trulli in Encinitas; so we knew we would get remarkably great Italian food. Our dinners,two different versions of Osso Bucco, were fantastic. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!kittVIPDined on 7/9/2014Food was excellent and the bartender really made my nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- get stuffedoriginalsdDined on 7/8/2014made an early dinner of it with small children. service was excellent. though people have raved on online reviews, the food didn't exactly stand out, sure, it was good, but not exceptional.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianFoodieDined on 7/4/2014Small intimate restaurant in Little Italy was very lively on our visit. We tried four different entrees and enjoyed each of them. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodNeighborVIPDined on 6/30/2014So noisy....food was acceptable. Would want to give it another try and then give it a lengthier review.
- Always Excellent!KMACDined on 6/29/2014Not trendy or edgy or confusing-just good old fashioned delicious Italian food. Knowlegable waiters and excellent service. The Osso Bucco and Fettucini Montanara are two of our favorites. Always fun to be in Little Italy too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food best in San DiegoRobinDined on 6/23/2014Food was outstanding! Service was the best!! Best lamb my husband has ever had!Special Features:
- grad celebrationRickwDined on 6/15/2014The environment is casual and comfortable dining. The food was excellent. We had some excellent appetizers, especially the burrata. All pasta dishes are great, especially the seafood ones. Service is very acceptable. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleased with this gemTessDined on 6/12/2014I had osso buco, my mom had the lobster ravioli, and a friend had the Seabass. It was all absolutely divine! Tiny and bustling inside but authentic food and staff. Hearty pours on the wine too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Service 5 StarCasualDinerDined on 6/10/2014We ate at the restaurant at 6:00 pm on a Tuesday evening (we had a reservation - a must!) and by 6:30 all of the inside tables were full. The food was great, the service was excellent and the wine list is complete for most tastes. We have eaten here about 10 times in the last 6 months, and we were very satisfied. The only "problem" is the noise level is high when the restaurant is full. An outside table is an available option. BE SURE TO MAKE AN ADVANCE RESERVATION - EVEN ON WEEKNIGHTS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed experienceTucker2VIPDined on 6/8/2014The positives: the osso bocco was amazing. The service was good. The negatives: the polenta cakes were awful and not really edible. The sauce was flavorless and the cake was soggy and mushrooms were cheap. They were out of the wine we ordered and so we got different bottle. The price they charged for the wine did not appear to match the price on wine list. Noise is really loud inside.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to its name!papajoedDined on 6/5/2014Small gem in San Diego's little Italy. Service was excellent, the anti paste, shared with my wive, was a beautiful mix of cheeses and meats. Our waited recommended the pork shank for me and pasta pockets stuffed with veal for my wife. Both were cooked to perfection. The pork shank was like butter when I cut into it. We paired this with a super Tuscan, one of Danielle's favorites....incredible dinner. Only negative don't take the table in front of the door...sun was setting and blinded me until I could move a small plackard to help block it. Other than that, as a east coast paisano, I highly recommend this lovely little taste of Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesDined on 6/5/2014Food was good, waiter was good. I had made reservation for five and had already been put off on arrival by hostess who insisted on sitting five tall men at two tiny tables pushed together (about 4'x3'). One had to sit at the end with no where to reasonably put a plate. Several requests for adding a third of the tiny 2'x3' tables together were rebuffed with "sorry, all reserved". I wish they had refused the reservation originally if they couldn't provide us reasonable comfort as it was my CEO and I had chosen the restaurant based on Open Table ratings. Became my mistake. This is not a good locale for odd numbers apparently.
- kabuVIPDined on 5/27/2014When in Little Italy this is the place to go. The eggplant parm is well worth the visit. Even the appetizer portion is plenty to eat. If you have never been it's a must to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 266 reviews are from the Buon Appetito reviews archive.
- A Little Italy StandoutNineInchNealDined on 5/1/2014Hard to go wrong for Italian dining in Little Italy, but Buon Appetito is a true gem. Lunch entrees were terrific, but dessert was the star of the meal. The Tiramisu is made on premises and truly incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealBogeydadDined on 4/28/2014When we arrived we were immediately seated and attended to. We each ordered a separate dinner and everyone was pleased with their meal. The ambiance is perfect for a small Italian restaurant in that it's active but not too loud to where you can't carry on a normal conversation. Always a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.