1609 India St.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.buonappetito.signonsandiego.com/
- Phone: (619) 238-9880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Thursday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer full catering for any occasion. Office meetings, weddings, family reunions & private parties to name a few. From gourmet-elegant to casual fare we can meet your dreams. Our events coordinator will work with you individually to create your celebration feast!
A word from Buon Appetito
Urban Italian groove, old country cuisine with a modern flare. Buzzing with vibrant energy.Rotating local artists splashing their creations on our walls as we bring our culinary prowess to your table. Sustainable & local is our mantra. Our menu screams old school classics yet our specials are whimsical creations from whats in season. Quail, rabbit, lamb ~ Homemade gnocchi, lasagne and ravioli rock the casbah...Gluten-free & whole grain pastas are available as well as a wide variety of vegetarian items to choose from. "A day without wine is a day without sunshine" over 100 bottles & more than 20 by the glass are offered to dazzle and delight. This list is off the hook! Small, boutique wineries from all over the world! We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and high quality products for an enchanting experience for all of our guests. Raise your glass and fill your soul with heart and goodness ~ cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Buon Appetito reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (25)great for outdoor dining (23)special occasion (18)notable wine list (14)romantic (11)hot spot (9)great for lunch (9)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Pleased with this gemTessDined on 6/12/2014I had osso buco, my mom had the lobster ravioli, and a friend had the Seabass. It was all absolutely divine! Tiny and bustling inside but authentic food and staff. Hearty pours on the wine too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Service 5 StarCasualDinerDined on 6/10/2014We ate at the restaurant at 6:00 pm on a Tuesday evening (we had a reservation - a must!) and by 6:30 all of the inside tables were full. The food was great, the service was excellent and the wine list is complete for most tastes. We have eaten here about 10 times in the last 6 months, and we were very satisfied. The only "problem" is the noise level is high when the restaurant is full. An outside table is an available option. BE SURE TO MAKE AN ADVANCE RESERVATION - EVEN ON WEEKNIGHTS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed experienceTucker2VIPDined on 6/8/2014The positives: the osso bocco was amazing. The service was good. The negatives: the polenta cakes were awful and not really edible. The sauce was flavorless and the cake was soggy and mushrooms were cheap. They were out of the wine we ordered and so we got different bottle. The price they charged for the wine did not appear to match the price on wine list. Noise is really loud inside.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to its name!papajoedVIPDined on 6/5/2014Small gem in San Diego's little Italy. Service was excellent, the anti paste, shared with my wive, was a beautiful mix of cheeses and meats. Our waited recommended the pork shank for me and pasta pockets stuffed with veal for my wife. Both were cooked to perfection. The pork shank was like butter when I cut into it. We paired this with a super Tuscan, one of Danielle's favorites....incredible dinner. Only negative don't take the table in front of the door...sun was setting and blinded me until I could move a small plackard to help block it. Other than that, as a east coast paisano, I highly recommend this lovely little taste of Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JamesDined on 6/5/2014Food was good, waiter was good. I had made reservation for five and had already been put off on arrival by hostess who insisted on sitting five tall men at two tiny tables pushed together (about 4'x3'). One had to sit at the end with no where to reasonably put a plate. Several requests for adding a third of the tiny 2'x3' tables together were rebuffed with "sorry, all reserved". I wish they had refused the reservation originally if they couldn't provide us reasonable comfort as it was my CEO and I had chosen the restaurant based on Open Table ratings. Became my mistake. This is not a good locale for odd numbers apparently.
- kabuVIPDined on 5/27/2014When in Little Italy this is the place to go. The eggplant parm is well worth the visit. Even the appetizer portion is plenty to eat. If you have never been it's a must to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Italy StandoutNineInchNealDined on 5/1/2014Hard to go wrong for Italian dining in Little Italy, but Buon Appetito is a true gem. Lunch entrees were terrific, but dessert was the star of the meal. The Tiramisu is made on premises and truly incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealBogeydadDined on 4/28/2014When we arrived we were immediately seated and attended to. We each ordered a separate dinner and everyone was pleased with their meal. The ambiance is perfect for a small Italian restaurant in that it's active but not too loud to where you can't carry on a normal conversation. Always a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to hypeCitizenJonVIPDined on 4/28/2014Great food; ossobuco special was fantastic; lobster purses were very good, maybe tad overcooked; baked polenta good but mushroom dressing was excellent. Ate outdoors, a bit cramped but better for conversation than indoors. Good wine and beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/23/2014Took a group of 12 clients while at a conference in San Diego. It's relatively small and packed with tables. It was full and very loud. Made in difficult to converse with everyone at the table but was still an enjoyable experience. The food was fantastic! Everyone loved what they ordered. My only complaint is that they didn't serve liquor, only beer and wine. With a variety of people having the option of cocktails is important. Wish that was a search filter on this site. Will most certainly inquire for future reservations via Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Family dinnerBiblioGalDined on 4/20/2014We had a wonderful experience at Buon Appetito on Easter Sunday. The service was exceptional and the food sublime! The one thing I didn't realize when booking was that it's a tiny restaurant. Next time I ' ll go there with a smaller group. I highly recommend Buon Appetito!!!Special Features:
- Great Italian in San DiegoKadoVIPDined on 4/13/2014This place came recommended to us by a local and we were not disappointed. The classic marinara sauce is spot on. We brought our kids (ages14,12, 6) and they easily accommodated their special requests for fettuccine Alfredo and Shrimp scampi:). Everyone shared plates and enjoyed all of them. Don't miss the tiramisu!Special Features:
- One of the best in Little ItalyBaw0929VIPDined on 4/10/2014Buon Appetito is always on our "must-do" list whenever we are in town. The food is consistently good, prices are comparable to other similar restaurants and the service is exceptional. We always ask to sit in Griffin's area as he is one of the best servers we've ever met. As one of the restaurant's original employees when it opened about 10 years ago, he excels at his job. Each day there is a list of specials, including wines. They make their own cannoli cream and they are absolutely delicious! They take reservations during the week but not on the weekend, so expect to wait as there is always a line. They also own the wine bar next door which is a great place to have a glass of wine while waiting for your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian FoodLindaVIPDined on 4/6/2014Never been disappointd in their food. One of the best in Little Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceIODYNEVIPDined on 3/30/2014I highly recommend this restaurant for its superior service and amazing food. This was the best Italian food I've ever had. Great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great italian foodbillDined on 3/27/2014We met a couple we see every few years at a conference and renewed our acquaintanceship. The Osso Bucco was very tender and tastie, as were the pasta, risotto, and fish dishes. Service was friendly despite the hectic atmosphere - when we arrived the room was packed and people were waiting outside on the sidewalk.....Had a great time, all of raved about our respective dishes..Special Features:
- As good as it gets!McfoodieDined on 3/27/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by a waiter working at another restaurant, who assured us we would not be disappointed. He was right. Even though we weren't regulars (and you could tell there were a lot of regulars), we were treated exceptionally well. The food was delicious. - best Caesar salad I've had in a long time. The Veal Osso Buco was fall off the bone tender, the salmon was cooked perfectly, and the pasta Bolognese was packed with flavor. If you are visiting San Diego, and love authentic Italian cuisine, you do not want to miss this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceBuddyVIPDined on 3/24/2014No better food in Little Italy, that's why it was hard to find a table on Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2014Good food. Very mean hostess. Been here multiple times. The hostess gets more rude every time. Do not come for a special occasion. The hostess will make everyone feel bad. Servers do a good job of making up for the awful hostessSpecial Features:
- I absolutely love this place!RedRangerDined on 3/21/2014I don't get to the Downtown area much, but when I do I try to make it a point to eat here. The service is great and the food is excellent. It's my favorite spot in Little Italy...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Pasta...NewyorkerDined on 3/6/2014We are New York foodies and this was probably the best Italian Pasta next to Il Mulino we have had...get any of the Pasta dishes...they are quite amazing...stick only to pasta as the other non-pasta entrees are just ok - we found that out the hard way and wish our server told us that. The ambiance is vibrant and made for a classic Italian meal The biggest negative for the evening is the pregnant hostess...she is very rude and not friendly at all which is unusual for San Diego. My wife and I may not go back because of the rude behavior of the hostess seating us! Somebody needs to tell her that she is in the customer service business... However we will probably go back because of the pasta and ignore the rude hostess...Special Features:
- I can always count on...DianaDined on 2/23/2014Wonderful service from the friendly, professional waiters who know their offerings, and make the perfect food & wine suggestions that are delicious...The ambiance is warm & inviting in the tradition of a quaint Italian ristorante, and always a nice place to bring friends, or enjoy a romantic meal for two!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent ambiencePcola66Dined on 2/15/2014Buon Appetito is an outstanding restaurant in Little Italy. We had reservations for 7 but showed up at 6, they took us in no problem. Griffin our waiter was excellent. He explained to us the specials of the day and recommended the right wine for dinner. My wife had the Sea Bass and I the Ossobucco. Both meals were exceptionally prepared and tasted wonderful. The whole atmosphere of the restaurant re-creates an authentic Italian café. There are even staff member who speak Italian, which enhances the entire experience. Never had to ask for anything; wait staff filled bread, water glasses, and cleared table after courses. Highly recommend this Buon Appetito for a romantic dinner!Special Features:
- Great Italian placeAidanJCDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I dined here for Valentines night and it was outstanding - one of the best Italian restaurants we've been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day TreatJoeCDined on 2/14/2014I took a chance to dine out on Valentine's Day with a 7:00 pm reservation at Buon Appetito. Definitely one of the top 3 Italian restaurants in San Diego, our meal there was excellent and reasonably priced, but the service was EXCEPTIONAL. Our waiter (Griffin) met our every need, recommending both a great wine and ensuring that our meals were brought to us in a timely fashion without feeling rushed. We had a great carpaccio appetizer, Lobster tail over linguini in a spicy tomato sauce, and the seafood over pasta dish. Overall, a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for twoMommaof3Dined on 2/13/2014We had a great time at Buon Appetito! They were understanding when we called to say we hit traffic and would be late! They moved us when we didn't like the inside table. We had to wait a bit, but we ended up outside. The night was warm, but still had plenty of heaters for those who were still chilly. The tables are set close together, but the waiters know how to maneuver around them. We will be back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious-we'll definitely go back!DonnaDined on 1/14/2014We went for my daughter's 15th bday celebration. She picked 'itailan' and 'little ittaly'. I did some research online and decided to give this place a try. Wow. I'm so glad that I did. We made reservations, got right in. The place was buzzing - very vibrant. Great service. Our server really knew the food & wine. The food was delicious. I had Cioppino and I woke up thinking about it the next morning - it was delicious. Everyone had a great meal. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my fav in little italygailb1Dined on 1/8/2014Buon Appetito continues to be my favorite Littly Italy restaurant! they never dissappoint! Celebrated my neighbor's 76th Birthday, and she enjoyed it tremendously (and she's Italian)Special Features:
- Love the food and ambiance.SanDiegoFoodLoverDined on 1/2/2014Very diverse menu, very tasty food, well served and prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd year dining at Buon AppetitoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/20132nd year dining at Buon Appetito on New Year's Eve - food is very good by our standards. Fresh, healthy, and authentic. Service is good - waiter was very attentive and allowed us to continue our leisurely dinner at the bar for our dessert and nightcap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt lkie we were in Italy.YoungatheartDined on 12/31/2013Felt lkie we were in Italy. Great food, service and such a vibrant atmosphere. Always a treat to dine there....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great evening!ChuckADined on 12/24/2013Christmas eve dinner with the family and the food and wine was just as we had remembered from our first visit in July. Great food and even better service. They even got us in earlier than our reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall GoodhongamomDined on 12/24/2013Good ambience and great service, but wine list was disappointing. Appetizer, mozzarella was the best I ever had but main dishes were just normal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday NightWoohoo21VIPDined on 12/22/2013Incredible food,...and service.among the best in Little Italy! Hostess was quite rudeSpecial Features:
- food never dissappointsexlondersDined on 12/22/2013The food at Buon Appetito is always great. The pasta is homemade and delicious. My only complaint is that we felt a bit rushed, but they are small and always busy and trying to get other diner's accommodated.Special Features:
- The Gem of Little ItalyCarlyVIPDined on 12/18/2013We really enjoyed are dinner at Buon Appetito and there are many amazing dishes and desserts on the menu.Special Features:
- Really Good ItalianKMACVIPDined on 11/25/2013Food is excellent and some menu items are quite original--fabulous pastas! If they are busy, initial welcome can be cool but once you are seated, you're treated quite well. We return again and again for the great food.Special Features:
- good find in little italyadasawVIPDined on 11/17/2013Food was quite good. Marinara sauce was excellent. Service was OK. Place was hopping on a Sunday night in November so given the small size of the restaurant would highly recommend reservations. Interior of the restaurant is fairly small it will be noisy when crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but crowdedTvannDined on 11/11/2013Difficult to enjoy dinner because we were so packed in that it felt like we were sitting with the two men next to us. They were talking business and it was almost impossible to talk to each other. Waiter was good but he couldn't even get to our table. He had to pass the food around to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingsteveVIPDined on 11/6/2013salads were lacking in flavor--not much dressing. two of us ordered the veal osso bucco (they also had one with pork), which had been well cooked, but the veal shank itself was somewhat stringy. the best course was dessert--very good cannoli, creme brulee and a chocolate gelato.Special Features: