44 E Blithedale Avenue
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bungalow44.com/
- Phone: 4153812500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Robert Price
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ursula O'Connor 4153812500
A word from Bungalow 44
Bungalow 44 brings you the city to Mill Valley. Bungalow 44 serves contemporary Californian American food with an edge. Our wood oven grill adds wonderful flavors to our many grilled fish and steaks. Start with our great cocktails at the always fun bar, then enjoy our Heirloom tomato flatbread and more either in the private quiet fireplace room or in the buzz filled main restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bungalow 44 - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
Bungalow 44 reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (73)vibrant bar scene (72)fit for foodies (61)hot spot (43)special occasion (38)good for groups (27)romantic (21)notable wine list (16)kid-friendly (13)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (5)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Very Popular for Good Reason21063Dined on 10/14/2014This is a well known and popular Mill Valley restaurant for good reason. Great food, great service, friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a hit, not a missMarinStrangerDined on 10/11/2014A friend who lives in Mill Valley recommended this as 1 of 3 places to try for dinner on our trek up from the Peninsula. She said she's been many times, and it's hit or miss. Reading some of the reviews for the other options, and needing a specific window for reservation times, I went with this one. We got a hit! Service was fine; noise-level was off the charts, but what can you expect on a Saturday night during a Giants' playoff game? 1 in our party of 5 had the fried chicken; great choice. We sampled many other appetizers and the tiger-prawn carbonara. All good, my fave was the gnocchi in Pt. Reyes blue cheese. Very satisfied with our picks.Special Features:
- Great food, fun restaurantbarolinaVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great food, great service... My husband and I have eaten at this restaurant a couple of times. Both times: we enjoyed the food, got grate service and enjoyed the energy in the restaurant. We also had great wine!Special Features:
- Always consistentMillValleyFoodieDined on 10/9/2014Bungalow 44 is a regular spot for us for many years, because the try hard to keep the menu fresh, but keep the favorites too. The food and service is consistently good, they have fabulous cocktails and great wine list without a huge price tag. We highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- punctualVIPDined on 10/7/2014Wow, what a great evening. Food was tremendous as was the service. We had a great table and everyone was very friendlySpecial Features:
- DisappointingFSSFDined on 10/6/2014Both my friend and I ordered the chopped salad as an entree ($16.95) and were disappointed. We could have gotten a better salad for under $10 at many quick serve restaurants. I had to ask the waitress to bring more greens as the salad was so skimpy. High price for what we got.
- kg11VIPDined on 9/28/2014Went here with another couple...we all really enjoyed our meals. Each of us had something different, and all was prepared to perfection. The place was comfortable, ambiance upbeat and active (kinda nice for quiet Marin). I would say the only thing lacking was the waiter. Not very on the ball...too busy flirting with the single ladies. Oh well.
- joy2dinejoy2dineDined on 9/20/2014this is our neighborhood gem! we can walk down and have oysters any day of the week! we love their comfort food, as well as some healthy options too! the staff is awesome and always makes us feel welcome. love it!Special Features:
- Extremely DisappointedPat1Dined on 9/18/2014Fried chicken was the worst ever. The slaw was so dry I didn't eat it. The "farmer green salad" had no dressing, a couple of nuts and sliced plum thrown together with greens. One of the most disappointing dining experiences I have had.
- Great FoodBigAlVIPDined on 9/14/2014Don't expect great food at a low price, but the Bungalow has great food at a high price. With tip, our dinner for two was $185. Tables are crowded together, noise level is high, and it is an in place with the uppies of Southern Marin.Special Features:
- Mill Valley gemJenstarVIPDined on 9/12/2014Excellent food and wonderful environment. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BurgersBobbinumber1VIPDined on 9/6/2014Everything I've tried has been so good, but my favorite is always the Kobe Beef Burger. The best burger I have ever eaten. Worth a drive from Northern Marin, every time.Special Features:
- Consistant WinnerlawrenceilonnVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is the go-to favorite of our family for a special occasion. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Overall good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Good food! Tasty dishes. Nice wine. Waiter forgot our oysters so we just skipped them. Very noisy, hard to talk. Lots of little kids. Our reservation was 6:45 pm. It changed after 7:30pm. In the future would choose a later time to avoid. We were here to celebrate our sons21st birthday...he was carded and since had wasn't driving he didn't have his license. We, his parents were with him, would have been nice if someone could have recognized the situation and allowed a glass of champagne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conserve water, please.VWWWDined on 8/23/2014Menu states that water will be served on request (by law, I think), but water is served whether you want it or not. Glasses are constantly being refilled. I even asked that staff stop mid-pour to no avail. Once upon a time this type of service was considered elegant and classy. During a drought, it is just ignorant and, in the long run, harmful. Otherwise service is excellent! I would still go back (after turning my water glass upside down). Food is great tasting although vegetables were cold. Noise takes away from what could otherwise be lovely ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceSFfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had a hard time choosing what to order because practically everything on the menu looks delicious! Ended up getting a few appetizers to split (the steak tartare is not to be missed) and then an entree for each of us (short ribs and shrimp carbonara were amazing). Service was on point. Our waiter did not rush us and was extremely friendly. It was, overall, a wonderful dining experience. We will certainly be back soon!Special Features:
- B-44 Has it All...JMcDDined on 8/20/2014Fantastic food & drinks; friendly, vibrant bar & restaurant gathering spot, but also intimate areas depending on your mood. The service is always top notch. Great overall dining experience every time.Special Features:
- Rude servicecherries80Dined on 8/16/2014Bartender was very rude when we questioned orders. He was even condescending that we did not know what a particular dish was. Rude service makes patrons not want to return to the establishment.Special Features:
- My Birthday CelebrationYacYacDined on 8/15/2014It was refreshing to arrive at a restaurant that actually had a reserved table that was set and ready at the time of the reservation. The only thing that precluded us from sitting down was that my friends were late. The host was friendly and did not seem to be taken back by the reduction of individuals which changed from 5people to 4. The service was initially very good but tapered off as the night sky grew darker and the number of tables on his watch increased. The service was still good but just not as attentive. The most impressive thing about the evening was that no one told us that it was time to go. I did not feel rushed and as a result we ended up being the last group to leave at the restaurant. The time was 12:15 midnight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a wonderful timeworthreturningDined on 8/13/2014My friend and I had a great time and I appreciate that we were allowed to linger both before ordering food and after. I am always looking for restaurant that doesn't rush you out if you are having a good conversation. Also the Fried Chicken was fabulous. Another plus was we chose the more inexpensive wines and they were just fine. I would come back in a minute! I did not notice, by the way, there was an outdoor option for brunch, etc. good to know.Special Features:
- Never Disappointed at Bungalow 44SRJohnDined on 8/7/2014This time we had the seared scallops and the burger and it was all fantastic as always. If you are into the bar scene and a little noise, the front is great. If you want a quiet dinner, go to the back. Either way it has always been good and this is our favorite repeat place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finger lickin chickenNativegalVIPDined on 8/7/2014Yelp sent me there for fried chicken and I was not disappointed. Pricey, though.Special Features:
- always a winnerVictDined on 8/3/2014Chef Robert Price is a genius...encouraging us to eat comfort food in Mill Valley - a very health conscious neighborhood, makes everything seem ok. The food is to die for...everything from the kickin fried chicken to the salmon - grilled to perfection...yumm yumm and don't skimp...have the beignets...its worth every calorie!Special Features:
- Great service and foodFinancialdistrictDined on 7/30/2014Very busy spot, lots of activity and somewhat noisy...but fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTBusybeeDined on 7/26/2014We had our anniversary dinner here with our two girls; 12 & 10 yrs. The receptionist was keen to put us in the annex but we insisted on the main dining area as we were early, 5.45pm, and there weren't too many people dining at that hour. The service and food was excellent and it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- consistently goodTiburondinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014Bungalow is very consistent and gives you the choice b/w healthy options and decadent comfort food. The wine list is solid as well. Bar was as busy and populated with attractive divorcee's as ever...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marin needs more places like thisCityorMarinDined on 7/23/2014Fried chicken - yeah! Cocktails, creativity - has it all. Competing with the city is hard but at least we have Bungalow 44 to help us out.Special Features:
- wcrumpjrDined on 7/18/2014love this place! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- First bad experience out of manymslaterVIPDined on 7/18/2014We just got them on a bad night this time. We have been many times and brought many others with us and always had a great experience. The waiter was fine it took a long time to get a drink then long time to get our check. But the biggest issue was the food. I had the Filet which was on special. The cut was just poor quality the mushroom wine jus was so salty it was inedible. The scalloped potatoes were cold. It just felt from start to finish like they wanted us to never come back. Really surprised at the food especially. It is so noisy as well that is a consistent issue but we have had many outstanding experiences there so I wouldn't write it off. I think it was just a bad night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Marin restaurantDocBrockVIPDined on 7/15/2014We've eaten here many times over the years and had another great and fun meal this week. Food is delicious, setting is wonderful and service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Oysters anyone?antiqmeisterVIPDined on 7/15/2014Some of the best oysters in the Bay Area; great menu; and desserts.Special Features:
- Could be good!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/13/2014Has the food for a great dining experience, but the staff let a very disruptive drunk patron make too much noise next to us and they hassled is about our open table reservation telling us it cost them! I would not use open table there anymore!
- Far too noisy couldn't hear my dateMillvalleygirlDined on 7/12/2014The noise level was so loud that we couldn't hear ourselves. I've never seen this new waiter but he was completely unprofessional and way too young to act accordingly. The food was absolutely delicious but the service was a disappointment. Plating needs to be adjusted the presentation was horrible. We had two different colored plates and the dark brown plate did not display the food at all. Couldn't see what I was eating. Frankly we couldn't wait to get our food and get out of there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood StandbySayerVIPDined on 7/12/2014This is a good standby restaurant if you live close enough to walk. The food is good enough and the atmosphere is lively (fueled by the bar customers).Special Features:
- Girls nightPetalumaFoodieDined on 7/11/2014We shared the delicious heirloom tomato flatbread and ordered cocktails to start, made to order. I had the Kobe beef burger, and my girlfriends ordered the fried chicken and the pork chop. Everybody loved their food and we all shared my truffle fries. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant bar scenetoadtastesDined on 7/11/2014We were there at a transition time, early on a Friday night. The dining room was still full of families with young children but the bar scene was heating up with attractive well dressed over 50 crowd. Great Marin Martini with a safe leaf and the Brussel sprout salad was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem, would recommendSkg62Dined on 7/3/2014This is a delightful restaurant with delicious food, good wine list, and just the right service. It seemed like there were a lot if locals which is always a good sign. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!ReggieVIPDined on 7/3/2014We've been trying a new restaurant each week for a few months since moving to Marin and this is by far our favorite find so far. The boneless chicken thigh appetizer was perfect. My husband's fried chicken was juicy with a bit of a kick (it's called Kickin' Fried Chicken, after all), and my short ribs were just right. No complaints, and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Fried Chicken Fix4ofusDined on 6/29/2014If you're hankering for some great southern fried chicken, then you will find it at Bungalow 44! Great crunchy coating with tender meat inside, all with a great flavor. Also, my two dining partners had the Ahi tuna (excellent!) and the steak frites (also excellent!). A great meal with very good service in a fun setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing Dinning: Bungalow 44Artess1VIPDined on 6/26/2014On warm evenings, cocktails waiting for table or friends is delightful at 2 fire pits outside front door. Starters: Soft Shelled Crabs on Arugula w/lovely light Sauce; Burrata on Toast w/Pesto is OK-rather mild. Hamachi not memorable; Mac n Cheese w/Wild Mushrooms & Bacon is rich, creamy & FABULOUS & easily shared. Entre's: Short Ribs w/Horseradish Gnocchi are succulent, rich and pairs nicely w/mild flavorful Gnocchi;Farro w/Wild Mushrooms & Poached Egg is nice but a "runny" poached egg would make it perfect. Fish dish on Seasoned Quinoa-amazing! Share rich Butterscotch Pudding. 44 has full Bar and satisfying, but "fully" priced, Wine List.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 807 reviews are from the Bungalow 44 reviews archive.