44 E Blithedale Avenue
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bungalow44.com/
- Phone: (415) 381-2500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Robert Price
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Ursula O'Connor 4153812500
A word from Bungalow 44
Bungalow 44 brings you the city to Mill Valley. Bungalow 44 serves contemporary Californian American food with an edge. Our wood oven grill adds wonderful flavors to our many grilled fish and steaks. Start with our great cocktails at the always fun bar, then enjoy our Heirloom tomato flatbread and more either in the private quiet fireplace room or in the buzz filled main restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Bungalow 44 - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
Bungalow 44 reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (76)vibrant bar scene (71)fit for foodies (63)hot spot (55)special occasion (43)good for groups (25)romantic (22)notable wine list (15)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Well Run, Always ConsistentCSdinerVIPDined on 11/21/2014A little more upscale than a traditional neighborhood restaurant, this is a Mill Valley hot spot with good food, good bar scene, competent wait staff. It has a very accessible menu which changes with the season and what is available at the market. Great burgers and fries, short ribs, pork chops, as well as their signature salad and fun appetizers. A favorite is the pailliard of very thin pounded chicken, very flavorful and the sides change fairly often. Last evening it was arugula with piquillo pepper, mancheco cheese, and macrona almonds. Families are welcome, there is a nice outdoor space to relax in front of two fire pits, have a drink or wait for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/17/2014Squid appetizer had too much galic and it was most beans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for Bar Scene than DiningBungalowVIPDined on 11/14/2014We have been to Bungalow a number of times and always had good a good experience. However this past Saturday, food quality, value and service was poor. Salads were wilted and over-dressed. The $30 scallop entree consisted of only THREE scallops -- a complete rip-off. Chocolate souffle was hard and not typical souffle taste or consistency. We wanted two cups of decaf coffee and were brought a massive $9 caraffe. Our service was sub-par. Bungalow is better suited if you are heading to the bar than planning to have a nice meal.Special Features:
- Great Service, Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014Great place to celebrate a special b'day. The service was great. The waiter overheard us saying it was his b'day and brought out dessert at the end of our dinner with a candle without our asking. The food was outstanding. Each of us loved what we ordered. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- B44falcolotorDined on 11/5/2014food typically is consistently very good altho this time a few misses -- the burrata was stringy, the lemongrass ahi had too much black pepper so overwhelmed nonetheless have had so many great meals there will be back, everyone has an off night now and thenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheapskate OwnerAJMarinVIPDined on 11/3/2014How cheap can you get? $4.95 for a glass of highly diluted lemonade AND then I was charged another $4.95 for a refill! Incredible! With no notice whatsoever. How cheap can a restaurant owner be? Charging me almost $10 for a drink that costs at the most 25 cents. It's absurd. And the lemonade wasn't all that good. And neither was the food. (The gnocchi were not gnocchi; they were pan-fried hunks of mashed potatoes.) If you think I am a disgruntled customer, you are right! Take my review for what its worth but I have written numerous positive reviews in the past of other restaurants and seldom write a negative review. Simply put, I do not recommend dining here. Unless you want to pay $10 for two glasses of lemonade.
- Nice place, Almost good foodKjMauiDined on 11/2/2014Dining out is an adventure, combining new experiences in flavors and decor, location and service staff. B44 was pleasant in many ways other than the food. We were 5, seated in a comfortable booth near the kitchen. Only one of our mains was hot - tagine - while four were room temp - pork chops, steak, and scallops. Maybe they were sitting while the Tagine was being cooked. Improbable since tagine is a slowly cooked dish. Pork chop was the favorite main. Tagine was closer to lamb stew than tagines I've had in Tunisia and San Francisco; flavors and textures were mushy. The burata with bacon-wrapped date and watercress was the favorite starter; beet salad was a close second. Service staff was helpful, cheerful.Special Features:
- Always a good experienceBlissDined on 11/2/2014Bungalow 44 is consistant - the food is great & the service is too. Weekends it's a bustling loud bar scene in the main dining room, so I request the quieter back room if I want conversation. A neighborhood gem. I don't know how they do it - Bungalow 44 never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had dinner there on November 1st.Wifebday44Dined on 11/1/2014Eaten there several times. Food is always great, but I noticed the portions were smaller. Steak Tare Tare (sp?) especially and salmon was excellent but I felt hungry when I left. Went through Open Table and asked for desert with candle in special requests section. Apparently, no one read that. Also when I did get desert, it was a great cake with ice cream. They used dates in the recipes. I know this because I bit into a date pit and it really hurt my tooth. Sent the pit to chef with waiter. GM of restaurant came by and apologized and said they would comp the desert. It was my wife's b-day so didn't make a big deal of it. Would have expected more than just that offer. Really hurt tooth and choked on pit. Still would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special oxxasion diningeatingwellDined on 11/1/2014Bungalow 44 is a wonderful Marin restaurant for a special occasion. I had the Turkish tangine, which was complex and rich. My husband had a steak, which was cooked to perfection. The price tag with salads and one glass of wine was $110, so it is not an everyday place to eat. I highly recommend it, however, for a birthday or anniversary.Special Features:
- Food good but portions smallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/31/2014Food was good but portions were a bit small. It is also overpriced. $28 for 3 pieces of ahi tuna on a bed of rice with some broccolini - left hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great time at Bungalow 44Hairguy65Dined on 10/22/2014One of my favorite local hotspots and never seems to disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeMVSCHUDined on 10/21/2014Where to start: It's always very good, the staff is so friendly, the cocktails fantastic, love the food and now they have Rich the chef, who makes it even more interesting to dine at Bungalow 44. The fire pits outside are perfect for drinks and appetizers.Special Features:
- Very Popular for Good Reason21063Dined on 10/14/2014This is a well known and popular Mill Valley restaurant for good reason. Great food, great service, friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a hit, not a missMarinStrangerVIPDined on 10/11/2014A friend who lives in Mill Valley recommended this as 1 of 3 places to try for dinner on our trek up from the Peninsula. She said she's been many times, and it's hit or miss. Reading some of the reviews for the other options, and needing a specific window for reservation times, I went with this one. We got a hit! Service was fine; noise-level was off the charts, but what can you expect on a Saturday night during a Giants' playoff game? 1 in our party of 5 had the fried chicken; great choice. We sampled many other appetizers and the tiger-prawn carbonara. All good, my fave was the gnocchi in Pt. Reyes blue cheese. Very satisfied with our picks.Special Features:
- Great food, fun restaurantbarolinaVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great food, great service... My husband and I have eaten at this restaurant a couple of times. Both times: we enjoyed the food, got grate service and enjoyed the energy in the restaurant. We also had great wine!Special Features:
- Always consistentMillValleyFoodieDined on 10/9/2014Bungalow 44 is a regular spot for us for many years, because the try hard to keep the menu fresh, but keep the favorites too. The food and service is consistently good, they have fabulous cocktails and great wine list without a huge price tag. We highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- punctualVIPDined on 10/7/2014Wow, what a great evening. Food was tremendous as was the service. We had a great table and everyone was very friendlySpecial Features:
- DisappointingFSSFDined on 10/6/2014Both my friend and I ordered the chopped salad as an entree ($16.95) and were disappointed. We could have gotten a better salad for under $10 at many quick serve restaurants. I had to ask the waitress to bring more greens as the salad was so skimpy. High price for what we got.
- kg11VIPDined on 9/28/2014Went here with another couple...we all really enjoyed our meals. Each of us had something different, and all was prepared to perfection. The place was comfortable, ambiance upbeat and active (kinda nice for quiet Marin). I would say the only thing lacking was the waiter. Not very on the ball...too busy flirting with the single ladies. Oh well.
- joy2dinejoy2dineDined on 9/20/2014this is our neighborhood gem! we can walk down and have oysters any day of the week! we love their comfort food, as well as some healthy options too! the staff is awesome and always makes us feel welcome. love it!Special Features:
- Extremely DisappointedPat1Dined on 9/18/2014Fried chicken was the worst ever. The slaw was so dry I didn't eat it. The "farmer green salad" had no dressing, a couple of nuts and sliced plum thrown together with greens. One of the most disappointing dining experiences I have had.
- Great FoodBigAlVIPDined on 9/14/2014Don't expect great food at a low price, but the Bungalow has great food at a high price. With tip, our dinner for two was $185. Tables are crowded together, noise level is high, and it is an in place with the uppies of Southern Marin.Special Features:
- Mill Valley gemJenstarVIPDined on 9/12/2014Excellent food and wonderful environment. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BurgersBobbinumber1VIPDined on 9/6/2014Everything I've tried has been so good, but my favorite is always the Kobe Beef Burger. The best burger I have ever eaten. Worth a drive from Northern Marin, every time.Special Features:
- Consistant WinnerlawrenceilonnVIPDined on 8/29/2014This is the go-to favorite of our family for a special occasion. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Overall good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Good food! Tasty dishes. Nice wine. Waiter forgot our oysters so we just skipped them. Very noisy, hard to talk. Lots of little kids. Our reservation was 6:45 pm. It changed after 7:30pm. In the future would choose a later time to avoid. We were here to celebrate our sons21st birthday...he was carded and since had wasn't driving he didn't have his license. We, his parents were with him, would have been nice if someone could have recognized the situation and allowed a glass of champagne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conserve water, please.VWWWDined on 8/23/2014Menu states that water will be served on request (by law, I think), but water is served whether you want it or not. Glasses are constantly being refilled. I even asked that staff stop mid-pour to no avail. Once upon a time this type of service was considered elegant and classy. During a drought, it is just ignorant and, in the long run, harmful. Otherwise service is excellent! I would still go back (after turning my water glass upside down). Food is great tasting although vegetables were cold. Noise takes away from what could otherwise be lovely ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceSFfoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014We had a hard time choosing what to order because practically everything on the menu looks delicious! Ended up getting a few appetizers to split (the steak tartare is not to be missed) and then an entree for each of us (short ribs and shrimp carbonara were amazing). Service was on point. Our waiter did not rush us and was extremely friendly. It was, overall, a wonderful dining experience. We will certainly be back soon!Special Features:
- B-44 Has it All...JMcDDined on 8/20/2014Fantastic food & drinks; friendly, vibrant bar & restaurant gathering spot, but also intimate areas depending on your mood. The service is always top notch. Great overall dining experience every time.Special Features:
- Rude servicecherries80Dined on 8/16/2014Bartender was very rude when we questioned orders. He was even condescending that we did not know what a particular dish was. Rude service makes patrons not want to return to the establishment.Special Features:
- My Birthday CelebrationYacYacDined on 8/15/2014It was refreshing to arrive at a restaurant that actually had a reserved table that was set and ready at the time of the reservation. The only thing that precluded us from sitting down was that my friends were late. The host was friendly and did not seem to be taken back by the reduction of individuals which changed from 5people to 4. The service was initially very good but tapered off as the night sky grew darker and the number of tables on his watch increased. The service was still good but just not as attentive. The most impressive thing about the evening was that no one told us that it was time to go. I did not feel rushed and as a result we ended up being the last group to leave at the restaurant. The time was 12:15 midnight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had a wonderful timeworthreturningDined on 8/13/2014My friend and I had a great time and I appreciate that we were allowed to linger both before ordering food and after. I am always looking for restaurant that doesn't rush you out if you are having a good conversation. Also the Fried Chicken was fabulous. Another plus was we chose the more inexpensive wines and they were just fine. I would come back in a minute! I did not notice, by the way, there was an outdoor option for brunch, etc. good to know.Special Features:
- Never Disappointed at Bungalow 44SRJohnDined on 8/7/2014This time we had the seared scallops and the burger and it was all fantastic as always. If you are into the bar scene and a little noise, the front is great. If you want a quiet dinner, go to the back. Either way it has always been good and this is our favorite repeat place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finger lickin chickenNativegalVIPDined on 8/7/2014Yelp sent me there for fried chicken and I was not disappointed. Pricey, though.Special Features:
- always a winnerVictDined on 8/3/2014Chef Robert Price is a genius...encouraging us to eat comfort food in Mill Valley - a very health conscious neighborhood, makes everything seem ok. The food is to die for...everything from the kickin fried chicken to the salmon - grilled to perfection...yumm yumm and don't skimp...have the beignets...its worth every calorie!Special Features:
- Great service and foodFinancialdistrictDined on 7/30/2014Very busy spot, lots of activity and somewhat noisy...but fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 823 reviews are from the Bungalow 44 reviews archive.
- EXCELLENTBusybeeDined on 7/26/2014We had our anniversary dinner here with our two girls; 12 & 10 yrs. The receptionist was keen to put us in the annex but we insisted on the main dining area as we were early, 5.45pm, and there weren't too many people dining at that hour. The service and food was excellent and it was an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- consistently goodTiburondinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014Bungalow is very consistent and gives you the choice b/w healthy options and decadent comfort food. The wine list is solid as well. Bar was as busy and populated with attractive divorcee's as ever...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marin needs more places like thisCityorMarinDined on 7/23/2014Fried chicken - yeah! Cocktails, creativity - has it all. Competing with the city is hard but at least we have Bungalow 44 to help us out.Special Features: