Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York
Waldorf Astoria New York
540 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bullandbearsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 212-872-4606x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon- Sunday 5:30pm - 11:00pm ( Last Seating at 10:45pm)
Bar & Lounge
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Schindler, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Bull and Bear's wine library is a private, secluded dining salon adjacent to the bar, It is a vintage choice that offers an influential environment for strategic social events. From celebratory parties with top sales performers to after-hours rendezvous with close friends, the Wine Library is an excellent choice. For more information on hosting your event at the Bull & Bear, please call our Hospitality Sales Desk at (212)-872-1275 or for general inquiries please email our Generral Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: 49th Street & Lexignton
- Public Transit: 6 train to 51st Street, E & M trains to 53rd Street. 8 Blocks from Grand Central Terminal
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Motor Entrance for valet parking located on 50th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues. Street parking available as well. Bull and Bear street entrance is located on Lexington Avenue. Second entrance from the Waldorf Astoria Lower Level.
A word from Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York
Bull and Bear Prime Steakhouse is home to one of the most historic and well-recognized bars in New York City; the celebrated steakhouse offers Fresh Seafood and Prime Dry Aged Steaks. Quoted ‘one of the three best bars in the World’ by the New York Times. Bull and Bear's Wine Library is a private, intimate dining room adjacent to the bar that is perfect for special occasions and business dinners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (43)romantic (32)fit for foodies (21)notable wine list (21)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Less is more....DanHansenDined on 10/16/2014Less is more, a good steak, creamy spinach and some red in the glasses... Thats´what´s all about, BB does it, and do it well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, excellent mealmetsnationVIPDined on 10/16/2014Eduardo, our server was outstanding. Great service, very attentive and a personality as well. The meals were delicious. I recommend B&B at the Waldorf if you're looking for a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always superb diningManhattan1VIPDined on 10/11/2014If you want a steak house with a great steak, without the roar, this is the place. We live on Fifth Avenue in the City and enjoy fine dining. Truly elegant and old world New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed atmosphere in upscale hoteldinewithwineDined on 10/11/2014Delicious cocktails and well prepared food gave us an evening to remember. Our waiter was excellent and the service of our courses was unhurried and well paced.Special Features:
- Nothing Special Here...KikiMDined on 10/11/2014Staying at the Waldorf so we arrived @ 5:20 for a 5:30 "pre-fixe" theater dinner. They knew we were coming, but table wasn't ready. When we asked for the menu, the waiter "Sean" immediately went from very nice to very aloof. We practically had to trip his team to get bread & butter. And the bread guy walked around re-filling plates... but not ours. Our waiter never asked us if we needed anything. We even had to chase him down for a second drink. Well, 3 course pre-fixe dinner took 2hrs 15 min. That's how much they ignores us. Even though it was pre-fixe, our bill was $262... And we were late for the show (Jersey Boys). But Sean and his team made sure they were there to collect the tip :( We didn't need to chase them down for that...
- LizzielouDined on 10/6/2014My husband and I have been coming to the bull & bear for many years, we travel from England and stay at the Waldorf so it's very convenient. The last two times, the steak was so poor, it was inedible.then again we went this week - $120 for chateaubriand and it was covered in a thick gelatinous gravy which had to be scraped off to reveal veiny poor quality meat not cooked well. The restaurant has lost it's finesse, it's resting on its laurels of yesteryear and unless it has an overhaul right across the business, it will see its faithful clientele leave them. No one is noticing the guest and NYC has many more choices now that will leave this restaurant like the rest of the hotel...full, but with no one noticing the guest.
- Great ambience. Average steak.NYTraveler1Dined on 10/4/2014I ordered the Waldorf salad, filet mignon and coconut cake for desert. Everything was great from the ambience, attentive service and food. Except for the steak. At $60,I was expecting exceptional steak. It was average.Special Features:
- Wonderful DiningSuperbDined on 10/4/2014Superb in every aspect. Absolutely the most deliciously tender steak ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World StyleKarateDined on 10/4/2014As an out-of-tower, we were blown away by the class and ambience of this restaurant. Although tempted to stray to the wonderful seafood options, we had gone here to try a famous NY steakhouse, so meat it was. Were we glad that we did, because the meal was understated perfection, and, after nearly 50 years of dining worldwide, "I takes off me hat" to the chefs and support staff for their dedication. So far, simply the best steakhouse in the world! "She who must be obeyed" ordered rare - and it was! I ordered medium rare - and it was!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulioMoviebuffDined on 10/3/2014We were in New York for our 15th Wedding Anniversary and dined at the Bull and Bear to celebrate. The service was second to none and Julio, clearly professional waite staff, was not only kind and knowledgable, he cared that we had an amazing experience. The food was, well, we have dined all over the world and that was the best steak we have ever had. The Chateaubriand for Two was cooked perfectly with a red wine reduction and caramelized pearl onions which we complimented with creamed spinach and broccoli. To die for. Juilo paired the wine and we had the Red Velvet cake with marscapone icing and a beet (?) froth that was simply amazing. This restaurant is truly one of the few places where you get what you pay for and are happy to pay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special place!AnniversaryLadyDined on 10/2/2014We dined at the Bull & Bear for our 21st wedding anniversary. When the Waldorf found out that it was our anniversary we received complimentary glasses of quite excellent champagne! The staff couldn't have been more courteous and gracious. The menu was extensive and our selections were perfectly prepared and served. I would recommend the Bull & Bear very highly on ambiance, personal service, and excellent food. Perfect for a romantic occasion or for a drink at the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterDined on 9/28/2014Love the atmosphere and the noise level (not too loud), service is just great.Special Features:
- Perfect for a special occasionJBCinNYC14Dined on 9/27/2014We celebrated our engagement at B&B and the dining experience was over the top!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KayaDined on 9/26/2014Enjoyed our dinner n ambience. Food n service was great! Excellent for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2014Booked the bull and bear for my 65th birthday on the 21st of September , even before we booked the flight and hotel as we have been to the restaurant a few times before over the years . We were not disappoint , still the same and the food is fab,loved it many thanks also for my cake with the candle on it xxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!JoshVIPDined on 9/20/2014Bull and Bear is AWESOME as always! Remember being introduced to this gem as a teen by my father. The ambiance and quality has not changed in over 45 years.Special Features:
- Bear & Bull Great SteaksMiamipeterDined on 9/18/2014Entertained a special client, the food was great and the ambiance was spectacular. Great location off of Lexington and 49th street. The Bar was great, allot of history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014In general, the food was okay, but for the price, was not even close to what we expected. The appetizers were very good. However, service was very slow, our waiter disappearing for long periods of time. The restaurant was not crowded, so we did not understand why. My wife's salmon was a little overcooked, but tasty. My filet, however, was shocking in how small it was. I was able to eat the entire entree in five bites. When compared to other similarly priced high end steak houses in the area, the size of the filet was inexcusable. We would not recommend this restaurant.
- The bestsnapjjkVIPDined on 9/10/2014We have been to NY several times but have never been to this steakhouse. So glad we made it this time! From the moment we walked in we knew we were in for a very special meal. The atmosphere was iconic, the food was excellent and the service top notch! We each got different appetizers, the crab cake and shrimp cocktail both very generous. We shared the porterhouse and chose the Mac and cheese with lobster as our side. Everything was so delicious and memorable. The steak was done to perfection and the lobster in the Mac and cheese was excellent! Will have to make this one of our special dinner stops whenever we are in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. great Service.310LakesideVIPDined on 9/9/2014Stayed at the Waldorf and ate here before a show. Enjoyed our meal, and the service was excellent. The bar is great, too.Special Features:
- Not worth the $$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014An old guard establishment, but not worth the dollar they are asking for. The meal preparation and atmosphere is out of date, the food quality was far below what was ordered and twice we were sent under-cooked chicken. The steak was fine. I've had better for much much cheaper. For $50 per serving, it didn't seem to be top quality. In New York, you can find innovative, top-quality food all over. These older establishments are no longer able to live up to their reputations. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Immediately replaced the under-cooked chicken (despite protestations that the diner no longer wished to have the meal) and removed it from the bill. We didn't bother telling them that the second dish sent back was raw as well.Special Features:
- great food, bad servicePsl1VIPDined on 9/5/2014I went there to celebrate my wedding. They placed me in a table in the bar -while the principal room was just gorgeous The service was horrible but the food and the chef just surprised me with the great food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spence29Dined on 8/31/2014We went there for my sister's birthday. Perfection. Will post pics on Facebook and will definitely recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goold old timesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014dining in bull&bear is enjoying the classic way of an elegant dinner, in the best possible way, the food is eccelent and the service is good standard for a place like this.
- allway a joyLotteHoffDined on 8/23/2014I love coming to this restaurant, its always very friendly staff and good foodSpecial Features:
- Consistently DecliningMiloDined on 8/16/2014We have been to this restaurant many times over the past twenty years. But sadly this restaurant, just like the hotel Wardorlf Astoria, has declined considerably. If you want to go there for the name, by all means. But the service and quality of food are not worth the price you will have to pay. My husband had a decent prime rib steak, but my seafood platter and fish were over cooked. The salad dressing was like somebody dumped a whole bottle of salt in it. Service staff was not properly trained to anticipate dinners' needs. The restaurant was not busy at all that evening, but we had to wait for almost half an hour between appetizer and main dish. We will not go back there any time soon.Special Features:
- Memorable experiencetfm226Dined on 8/7/2014The hostess promised us a "memorable experience" when we were seated and she was exactly right. The food was wonderful and the service even better!Special Features:
- Overpriced00WorldTraveller00Dined on 8/6/2014My wife and I both ordered the most expensive steak on the menu. Disappointing, boring and there was no excuse as there were only two other guests in the restaurant at the same time. The waiter was rude and we felt like he looked down his nose at us. We will not be returning and will find an alternative eatery.
- Wonderful mealnicnacDined on 8/1/2014An out-standing meal. I had the fillet mignon and my partner had the Porterhouse. Both were delicious as were the sides. Excellent service. Will return on our next visit to New York.Special Features:
- Great Surf and Turflg79Dined on 8/1/2014Lobster prepared wonderfully moist not chewy... steak prepared wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once in a life timeflierDined on 8/1/2014The food was very good, the ambiance was outstanding but the evening was very expensive. This was a very special occasion for us so price was not an issue.Special Features:
- Poor customer servicetiamariaDined on 7/28/2014The food here is excellent, but don't go for a romantic or formal dining experience. The dress code is casual and there were several groups of kids. The biggest disappointment was the dreadful customer service. We were totally ignored by several members of staff when we arrived and then very rudely directed to the desk by the female maitre d' who checked our reservation - not a good start. The waiter was very unhelpful when we asked him to recommend cocktails, another waiter bumped into my husband while he was eating and a third one almost knocked our drinks off the table!Special Features:
- Great experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014My husband & I recently celebrated my birthday in Manhattan. It was our first time dining at Bull & Bear Steakhouse - it was fantastic!! We had dinner on the earlier side (around 5:30 ish) because we were catching a Broadway Show. The service was outstanding as was the food - we would definitely recommend to friends & will be back to dine in the near future :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LbrickleDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant is fine but it just is not worth it. It's nice atmosphere and the food is good, but not spectacular.
- Everything was great, except...VisitorfromDCDined on 7/12/2014Everything was great, except dessert. We ordered the rhubarb tart, but couldn't find any rhubarb, only a couple of fresh strawberries. The dessert tasted okay, but we were disappointed it wasn't quite what was advertised. We complained and the waiter removed the charge for the dessert. Other than that, the dinner was terrific. My wife had the beef filet and I had a delicious salmon. The Waldorf salad was just as I remembered from years ago, actually the salad we had Saturday was even better than I remembered. The waiter was totally professional. He knew the menu completely, was cordial in every way and represented the restaurant perfectly. We'll definitely return, only next time, we'd like to see some rhubarb in the tart!Special Features:
- Great eveningVA2MNDined on 7/8/2014Pre-concert dinner was wonderful - great service, exceptional food, and a delightful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deputydog1Dined on 7/5/2014A lovely quiet, relaxing atmosphere and excellent staff. Would recommend the oysters and scallops and could not fault the steaks. Had a lovely evening, a really nice way to end our holiday. (Happy memories.)Special Features:
- Over-priced and mediocre food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014My son chose this restaurant and we were very disappointed. We had no dessert as we had to leave to catch a train.
- It is worthy visiting!!Mpugwe83Dined on 7/4/2014I came for the historical feel associated with this place. It felt so and more. The prices are very stiff. I guess one is buying the history than the food and services. The feeling while there is what you would expect. Wealth and class are well displayed and curiosity as in my case. overall, the adventure was worthy my $350.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveItVIPDined on 7/2/2014Decent steak house but Quite costly and desserts were overpriced and stale