Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York
Waldorf Astoria New York
540 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $50 and over
Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bullandbearsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 212-872-4606x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon- Sunday 5:30pm - 11:00pm ( Last Seating at 10:45pm)
Bar & Lounge
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Schindler, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Bull and Bear's wine library is a private, secluded dining salon adjacent to the bar, It is a vintage choice that offers an influential environment for strategic social events. From celebratory parties with top sales performers to after-hours rendezvous with close friends, the Wine Library is an excellent choice. For more information on hosting your event at the Bull & Bear, please call our Hospitality Sales Desk at (212)-872-1275 or for general inquiries please email our Generral Manager at email@example.com
- Cross Street: 49th Street & Lexignton
- Public Transit: 6 train to 51st Street, E & M trains to 53rd Street. 8 Blocks from Grand Central Terminal
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Motor Entrance for valet parking located on 50th Street between Park and Lexington Avenues. Street parking available as well. Bull and Bear street entrance is located on Lexington Avenue. Second entrance from the Waldorf Astoria Lower Level.
A word from Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York
Bull and Bear Prime Steakhouse is home to one of the most historic and well-recognized bars in New York City; the celebrated steakhouse offers Fresh Seafood and Prime Dry Aged Steaks. Quoted ‘one of the three best bars in the World’ by the New York Times. Bull and Bear's Wine Library is a private, intimate dining room adjacent to the bar that is perfect for special occasions and business dinners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (40)romantic (27)notable wine list (14)fit for foodies (11)vibrant bar scene (9)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- DissappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014In general, the food was okay, but for the price, was not even close to what we expected. The appetizers were very good. However, service was very slow, our waiter disappearing for long periods of time. The restaurant was not crowded, so we did not understand why. My wife's salmon was a little overcooked, but tasty. My filet, however, was shocking in how small it was. I was able to eat the entire entree in five bites. When compared to other similarly priced high end steak houses in the area, the size of the filet was inexcusable. We would not recommend this restaurant.
- The bestsnapjjkVIPDined on 9/10/2014We have been to NY several times but have never been to this steakhouse. So glad we made it this time! From the moment we walked in we knew we were in for a very special meal. The atmosphere was iconic, the food was excellent and the service top notch! We each got different appetizers, the crab cake and shrimp cocktail both very generous. We shared the porterhouse and chose the Mac and cheese with lobster as our side. Everything was so delicious and memorable. The steak was done to perfection and the lobster in the Mac and cheese was excellent! Will have to make this one of our special dinner stops whenever we are in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the $$$$OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014An old guard establishment, but not worth the dollar they are asking for. The meal preparation and atmosphere is out of date, the food quality was far below what was ordered and twice we were sent under-cooked chicken. The steak was fine. I've had better for much much cheaper. For $50 per serving, it didn't seem to be top quality. In New York, you can find innovative, top-quality food all over. These older establishments are no longer able to live up to their reputations. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Immediately replaced the under-cooked chicken (despite protestations that the diner no longer wished to have the meal) and removed it from the bill. We didn't bother telling them that the second dish sent back was raw as well.Special Features:
- great food, bad servicePsl1VIPDined on 9/5/2014I went there to celebrate my wedding. They placed me in a table in the bar -while the principal room was just gorgeous The service was horrible but the food and the chef just surprised me with the great food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spence29Dined on 8/31/2014We went there for my sister's birthday. Perfection. Will post pics on Facebook and will definitely recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goold old timesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014dining in bull&bear is enjoying the classic way of an elegant dinner, in the best possible way, the food is eccelent and the service is good standard for a place like this.
- allway a joyLotteHoffDined on 8/23/2014I love coming to this restaurant, its always very friendly staff and good foodSpecial Features:
- Consistently DecliningMiloDined on 8/16/2014We have been to this restaurant many times over the past twenty years. But sadly this restaurant, just like the hotel Wardorlf Astoria, has declined considerably. If you want to go there for the name, by all means. But the service and quality of food are not worth the price you will have to pay. My husband had a decent prime rib steak, but my seafood platter and fish were over cooked. The salad dressing was like somebody dumped a whole bottle of salt in it. Service staff was not properly trained to anticipate dinners' needs. The restaurant was not busy at all that evening, but we had to wait for almost half an hour between appetizer and main dish. We will not go back there any time soon.Special Features:
- Memorable experiencetfm226Dined on 8/7/2014The hostess promised us a "memorable experience" when we were seated and she was exactly right. The food was wonderful and the service even better!Special Features:
- Overpriced00WorldTraveller00Dined on 8/6/2014My wife and I both ordered the most expensive steak on the menu. Disappointing, boring and there was no excuse as there were only two other guests in the restaurant at the same time. The waiter was rude and we felt like he looked down his nose at us. We will not be returning and will find an alternative eatery.
- Wonderful mealnicnacDined on 8/1/2014An out-standing meal. I had the fillet mignon and my partner had the Porterhouse. Both were delicious as were the sides. Excellent service. Will return on our next visit to New York.Special Features:
- Great Surf and Turflg79Dined on 8/1/2014Lobster prepared wonderfully moist not chewy... steak prepared wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once in a life timeflierDined on 8/1/2014The food was very good, the ambiance was outstanding but the evening was very expensive. This was a very special occasion for us so price was not an issue.Special Features:
- Poor customer servicetiamariaDined on 7/28/2014The food here is excellent, but don't go for a romantic or formal dining experience. The dress code is casual and there were several groups of kids. The biggest disappointment was the dreadful customer service. We were totally ignored by several members of staff when we arrived and then very rudely directed to the desk by the female maitre d' who checked our reservation - not a good start. The waiter was very unhelpful when we asked him to recommend cocktails, another waiter bumped into my husband while he was eating and a third one almost knocked our drinks off the table!Special Features:
- Great experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014My husband & I recently celebrated my birthday in Manhattan. It was our first time dining at Bull & Bear Steakhouse - it was fantastic!! We had dinner on the earlier side (around 5:30 ish) because we were catching a Broadway Show. The service was outstanding as was the food - we would definitely recommend to friends & will be back to dine in the near future :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LbrickleDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant is fine but it just is not worth it. It's nice atmosphere and the food is good, but not spectacular.
- Everything was great, except...VisitorfromDCDined on 7/12/2014Everything was great, except dessert. We ordered the rhubarb tart, but couldn't find any rhubarb, only a couple of fresh strawberries. The dessert tasted okay, but we were disappointed it wasn't quite what was advertised. We complained and the waiter removed the charge for the dessert. Other than that, the dinner was terrific. My wife had the beef filet and I had a delicious salmon. The Waldorf salad was just as I remembered from years ago, actually the salad we had Saturday was even better than I remembered. The waiter was totally professional. He knew the menu completely, was cordial in every way and represented the restaurant perfectly. We'll definitely return, only next time, we'd like to see some rhubarb in the tart!Special Features:
- Great eveningVA2MNDined on 7/8/2014Pre-concert dinner was wonderful - great service, exceptional food, and a delightful atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deputydog1Dined on 7/5/2014A lovely quiet, relaxing atmosphere and excellent staff. Would recommend the oysters and scallops and could not fault the steaks. Had a lovely evening, a really nice way to end our holiday. (Happy memories.)Special Features:
- Over-priced and mediocre food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014My son chose this restaurant and we were very disappointed. We had no dessert as we had to leave to catch a train.
- It is worthy visiting!!Mpugwe83Dined on 7/4/2014I came for the historical feel associated with this place. It felt so and more. The prices are very stiff. I guess one is buying the history than the food and services. The feeling while there is what you would expect. Wealth and class are well displayed and curiosity as in my case. overall, the adventure was worthy my $350.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveItVIPDined on 7/2/2014Decent steak house but Quite costly and desserts were overpriced and stale
- Excellent anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014My husband and I came to New York for our wedding anniversary, and we chose the Bull & Bear Steakhouse for dinner that night. The food, service and ambiance are outstanding. Service is exemplary and so professional. My husband had the lamb chops which were superb , and I had the excellent tournedos of beef. The wine suited our meal wonderfully, and we finished our meal with a chocolate gelato and raspberry sorbet, a perfect end to a perfect dinner.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014The food was phenomenal and service was exceptional. The keeping of the original decor really adds to the ambience and atmosphere. Amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayUrbanistaVIPDined on 6/20/2014Excellent atmosphere and outstanding food (especially crab cake appetizer). Mediocre service.Special Features:
- SusiesuzieqVIPDined on 6/14/2014Haven't dined there in several years, and not as good as remembered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was not what I expectedHoneymeeDined on 6/13/2014I expected the host to at least pull my chair out for me (I'm female and appreciate chivalry). I had made Pre-Show reservations specifically, expecting they would OFFER that particular menu; no, you have to ASK for this less expensive, lighter menu. I didn't realize this until AFTER we our HAD ORDERED our dinner. Furious. I had to flag down our server repeatedly and he would not look me at me when i spoke to him. He obviously did not want to be there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service...metsnationVIPDined on 6/10/2014Had a business dinner at the Bull & Bear. Service was great, very attentive throughout the meal. The Waldorf salad is an excellent starter. We both had the filet (cooked just right) and split au gratin potatos and steamed spinach. Perfect combination. We were stuffed for dessert so we took a pass. Excellent meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, food is just OKNjm1216Dined on 6/8/2014Beautiful, great atmosphere. The food was terribly overpriced. I had a 5 oz filet, it was good, but I've had better. My husband really enjoyed his onion soup. Overall, it was good, just not as good as the prices reflect. I will pay this price for a great steak, but won't pay that price for just so-so.Special Features:
- GeneralDineinfo4uDined on 6/6/2014The ambiance would be great if they demanded a dress code that was commensurate with it. Why would anyone want to pay the ridiculously high prices and dine among people dressed in shorts, jeans, t-shirts, etc. Prices? $34 for water because the waiter kept on opening bottles without first asking. Overall prices are horrifically high for what you get. The wait staff is that of a bygone era and no longer fits the clientele, somewhat attentive but forgetful, as well. Suggestion, bring back the classiness of the restaurant, along with a proper dress code and make the prices more reasonable.Special Features:
- A wonderful dining experiencebarryDined on 6/6/2014We ate there before going to a Broadway show and: -The service was excellent -The menu was very interesting -The food was prepared well, served in an appetizing way, and all dishes were of great quality and extremely tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnexpectedKarenDined on 6/1/2014Only came in here as staying at the hotel, still jet lagged so didn't want to venture far. Looked like an old English pub as quite dark inside, but the food was divine. But word of warning, the side dishes come quite large, enough for 2-3 people, so don't over order like we did. Expensive but well worth the money for a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/27/2014We celebrated our anniversary and could not have had a better atmosphere or food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great - Service just OKBond007Dined on 5/24/2014We got engaged here several years ago, so often dine here whenever we are in town. The food, as always, is excellent. I had the beef tournado, and my wife the steak on steaks. The meat was fork tender, and cooked perfectly as ordered. Normally, the service is excellent, but this time not so good. Our waiter did not introduce himself - just kind of turned up and asked if we were ready. We had empty glasses on a couple of occasions, and had to ask for more wine. We also were not asked at any point during the meal, how everything was, how was the steak cooked, etc. This may be OK in a mediocre restaurant, but not what we expect (or have had before) in a high-end, and let's be honest, expensive steakhouse.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 5/24/2014This was a birthday dinner for my wife and I. We had high expectations and were disappointed. The steaks were both over cooked (mine medium rare and my wife's medium well). Neither was correct. Also, be aware that the online menu is not up to date. My wife wanted the chocolate cake for dessert on her birthday, it is no longer on the menu. In fact, there is no chocolate dessert at all on the menu. The price is as expected for a high end restaurant- but a better steak is expected at that price. The salad and lettuce wedge were very good. Baked potato was good (hard to mess uo). Good selection of appetizers and side items. But, in the end, a steak house needs to know how to cook a steak and these were both wrong. Disappointed.
- The following 659 reviews are from the Bull & Bear Steakhouse - Waldorf Astoria New York reviews archive.
- Just what I hoped forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I took my mother to Bull and Bear for Mother's Day. She has always had a fond place in her heart for the hotel, as her father worked there as a chef in the mid 1900's, so she was excited to not only eat there but afterwards look around at all the historic memorabilia in the lobby. Both of our entrees were amazing; cooked perfectly and just the right flavors. I finished everything! and was fully satisfied but managed to squeeze in a few cookies at the end. Our waiter Julio was not only attentive but very pleasant, sweet and took a nice picture of my mother and I to remember the day. I was very pleased with the whole dinner and the atmosphere was charming and very cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak/Great ServicezbillybaddVIPDined on 5/11/2014Had a nice early dinner. Sat by the window and watched the world go by. Service was especially good.Special Features:
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/1/2014Not as good as I expected Salmon was mediocre Nothing further to saySpecial Features:
- pre-theater gembmwgatorDined on 5/1/2014Went here as a treat for a pre-theater dinner with wife and daughters. The Waldorf is exquisite; the Bull and Bear was equal to the task of keeping up. We were greeted right away; service was friendly, attentive but not suffocating. Food was delicious, well prepared and served at exactly the right time.Special Features:
- We Loved It!TimGDined on 4/27/2014Everything was perfect! Very refined ambience without any pretense and professional service with friendly personality. Food was very good; worthy of a high-end restaurant, and everybody loved their entrees and desserts. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.