3656 N Ashland
Chicago, IL 60613Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buleriastapas.com/
- Phone: 7734042855x
- Hours of Operation:
Spring – Summer: 5/01 – 10/31: Sunday – Thursday: 11:00am – 12:00pm, Friday: 11:00am – 1:00am, Saturday: 11:00am – 2:00am
Winter – Fall: 11/1 – 3/31: Monday – Thursday: 4:00pm – 12:00am, Friday: 11:00am – 1:00am, Saturday: 11:00am – 2:00am, Sunday: 11:00am – 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bulerias
Bulerias Tapas Bar serves authentic Spanish food in Chicago.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bulerias reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (8)romantic (6)special occasion (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great for TapaskhfoodieDined on 8/30/2014Everything we ordered was very good. The Sangria was great as well.Special Features:
- Chicago Tapas done rightbpowVIPDined on 8/29/2014Bulerias' food is delicious. It's not contrived or overly fancy. Just done right. The flavors are outstanding and the portions are perfect for sharing. The two standouts were the mushrooms (garlicky and addictive) and the steak (juicy and flavorful). Everything else was definitely a contender. You pretty much can't go wrong. The only downfall was the slow and strange service. The whole patio seemed a little miffed but the Sangria pitcher kept us occupied while we waited for each course.Special Features:
- Perfect Girl's Night Out!GGiannosVIPDined on 8/2/2014We celebrated a number of birthdays at Buleria's one summer evening. The service and food was delicious. I've had tapas many times before but I have to say, Buleria's was one of the best! Their paella is amazing! Sangria just perfect. All my friends enjoyed it as well!Special Features:
- Excellent Tapas for our GroupOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/18/2014Just back from Spain less than 6 months ago and the food is at least as exciting and well prepared! Service at the hostess stand was a bit slow and we had a reservation, but the atmosphere, our server & the outstanding food more than made up for it. I plan to be a regular. Great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything is great!ChristinaVIPDined on 7/16/2014You can't go wrong with this menu. Everything is delicious! I especially love the bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Great SettingCHIMOMSTYLEDined on 7/10/2014Loved the food, ambience and service at Bulerias, It's a wonderful addition to the neighborhood!! Great wine and cocktails as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 18 reviews are from the Bulerias reviews archive.
- Terrible Service, OK foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014A group of 9 of us went to Bulerias to celebrate a birthday. The food was ok. The paella was mushy and did not have that crunch that makes paella so delicious. And the service was about as bad as it gets. While our waitress was nice, she was clearly very overwhelmed. Multiple times, the food runners delivered the wrong food to our table. We also asked for one paella without seafood due to an allergy, but the kitchen put calamari in it. After we hadn't received a few items after waiting 2+ hours, we decided to cancel the order. The manager did come to our table and offered to take one of the paellas off of our bill. That is nice, but I think they could have done a lot more to turn our experience around. They really need to get it together.
- OkMichaelScottVIPDined on 5/14/2014The food was hit and miss. The scallops with bacon were very good. Every dish with potatoes was terrible. The patatas bravas were particularly bad: a nicely flavored but sodden heap of goo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely go backOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/13/2014I really enjoyed my dinner and 1/2 price pitcher of sangria (Tuesday night). It was a slow night...just my table and one other were full when we got there at 8:15 - maybe because the Blackhawks were playing that night?I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/25/2014The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great placefuntravelerVIPDined on 4/25/2014Great tapas place with good service.try the bacon wrapped datesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been to Bulerias twiceerinDined on 4/11/2014I've been to Bulerias twice now. First time was when it just opened up, and there was plenty of tables open on a Friday night. Now, after being open for a while now Bulerias has definitely grown in popularity. I made a reservation for 6 at 8:30 for a Friday night. Once we arrived (a few minutes early), we didn't get seated for another hour. I understand, even with a reservation you might still have to wait a little bit to get seated. But waiting an HOUR is a little bit unacceptable. There was another party that had a reservation at 8:30, and they, too, had to wait about an hour to get seated. I've read similar complaints about this happening at Bulerias... so I guess this happens a lot. Food is pretty good though! Not amazing, but good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Ok serviceNomnomnomDined on 3/7/2014The food was great! However, the overall service was not the best. Upon entering the restaurant, which really does have an awkward layout, there was a sign that said to see the bartender to be seated. We went up a few stairs to the bartender and she sent us back down to the front door. We waited about 5 minutes before seeing a girl who was wandering around. I had to ask if she worked at the restaurant and explain the situation and only then where we seated. We were seated downstairs, which is what most other reviewers recommended. It was really nice considering it was in the lower level. However, it was still rather loud for what most reviewers claimed was the quite seating option. It must be really loud upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Bacon Wrapped Dates!ChristinaVIPDined on 3/1/2014The Bacon Wrapped Dates are probably my favorite thing to eat in ALL of Chicago. They are prepared perfectly, and the extra touch of goat cheese is mouthwatering! Everything else is wonderful too!Special Features:
- Fantastic TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014I just went for the first time last weekend, but it may already be my favorite tapas place in Chicago. They have great specials every day, the sangria and food are fantastic, and you should definitely come in on a birthday or anniversary for a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FIFTY FIFTYOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 1/28/2014Half the recipes taste authentic and half like American fast food. Calamari a la Plancha was exquisite; Montaditos de Seta was the most authentic (and excellent). Tortilla Espanol had mashed potato (or cream or something) that pushed it into the realm of idiosyncratic, although still in the bullring. Pinchos tasted like the chicken had been frozen -- dry, bland -- the kind of American food mistake usually covered up with lots of bbq sauce -- you would only find this in the scuzziest tapas bars in Madrid. Croquetas were over-breaded and overcooked -- a big crunch -- like the Kentucky Fried Chicken Tenders. You would never find this anywhere in Spain except in McDonalds. The wine list is strong, and authentic.Special Features:
- wonderful placestellakattDined on 1/24/2014I had a great experience at Bulerias. Great service, amazing value (get the mussels-only $9.10 for around 20 mussels), and even better sangria! I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing TapasKatyOVIPDined on 1/24/2014The space was incredibly small. I'm not a fan of having to move my chair and feeling in the way every time a waiter or another table gets up. We waited for over 20 minutes for the first tapas to get to the table. The three tapas that we ordered, were actually very tasty. We had the goat cheese croquettes, a beef/manchego toast and the shrimp with garlic...all delicious. We ordered the Paella con Todos, which we knew would take about 45 minutes, so we were prepared to wait for that. When we got the dish though, every bite tasted like fish. I couldn't eat it. My boyfriend ate it since he was hungry, but I opted to stay hungry vs. eating the fishy Paella. Ah well. Hopefully another good tapas spot will open up by us soon.
- Good local tapasBannon021VIPDined on 1/18/2014My girlfriend and I went here for the first time after seeing it dozens of times. Don't be fooled by what appears to be a smaller restaurant, there is actually a large seating area downstairs that we didn't even know existed. We tried ~4 tapas, wine and sangria. All of the tapas were good- I wouldn't say great. Our favorite was the dates wrapped in bacon, while the spicy potatoes were our least favorite-- they were essentially a big container of hash browns with a dipping sauce. I'd recommend this restaurant for a reasonably priced, local option.
- Fun tapas place!AlexisfVIPDined on 12/17/2013This place is wonderful! I went for the first time last week and can't wait to return. The food is wonderful and not overpriced. The flavor combinations are outstanding. Definitely order the bacon wrapped dates and the red wine sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but LOUDtracyfletchDined on 12/14/2013Great food, fun ambiance but very loud. I had to shout in order for others across the table to hear me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was not great. ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/13/2013The food was not great. There are much better Spanish tapas places; I wouldn't go back there for the food. And the sangria tasted like juice. Overall not a good place.Special Features:
- Favorite tapas restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/23/2013Since finding this gem a few weeks ago, my husband & I have brought many of our friends and family back so they can see/taste what we've been raving about. It is definitely our new favorite tapas restaurant in Chicago. Absolutely delicious food (try the Carne en Tostada - one of our favs) & pretty generous portions, as well. I'd recommend trying to get a table downstairs, it is more intimate and quieter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was goodEmilyKDined on 11/16/2013Bulerias is in the neighborhood, and a friend recommended it to us. The ambiance was very nice. Everything we had, from the wine, to the tapas, to the cappuccino was really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.