buku: Global Street Food
110 East Davie Street
Raleigh, NC 27601Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
buku: Global Street Food
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bukuraleigh.com/
- Phone: (919) 834-6963
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 4:00pm-10:00pm, Late Night 10:00pm-12:00am Friday - Saturday 4:00pm- 11:00pm, Late Night 11:00pm-2:00am Sunday 5:00pm-12:00am Lunch: Monday-Saturday 11am-4pm Brunch Buffet: Sunday 11:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Global, International, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tony Hopkins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We would love to cater your next event! Our Chef will work closely with you to create a custom menu to your liking. Please speak with our banquet manager for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms are available for parties and special occasions up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Ellen Hopkins 9198346963
- Entertainment: DJ Triple B & Friends in the bu•ku BAR from 5pm 'til Late Night nightly.
- Special Events: We would love to help you plan your next event. Our private dining room seats parties of 20-60 and we have a virtual kaleidoscope of menu options for you to choose from! Please speak with our banqueut manager for more information.
- Cross Street: Wilmington
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet Monday-Saturday after 5pm. Lunch parking is available in the public deck. Enter the City Center Parking Deck from Wilmington Street Take elevator to ground floor; exit out at revolving doors turn left and enter double doors on the left at the corner of Davie and Wilmington.
A word from buku: Global Street Food
Located at the corner of Wilmington and Davie Streets in the heart of downtown Raleigh, bu•ku is a local restaurant that tells a global story. The name "bu•ku" itself is an international slang twist on the phrase, "Merci, beaucoup" meaning, "Thank you very much." Inspired by the pushcarts of street vendors across the globe, our chefs harvest an array of unique and distinct flavors and present them authentically, in a virtual kaleidoscope of plates. The common link: these are foods that people love. Working within different regional traditions, our menu brings together complex and flavorful dishes that have been honed over generations. Foods like Polish pierogis, Colombian arepas, and Thai barbecue prawns served in a banana leaf with green papaya salad can be found on the street corners of Warsaw, Bogota, and Bangkok. We strive to convey the immediate thrill a traveler feels eating foods like these as they first cross over the cart and exchange hands into the urban setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
buku: Global Street Food - Best Restaurants in Raleigh ›
buku: Global Street Food reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (147)special occasion (118)good for groups (109)romantic (77)hot spot (75)great for outdoor dining (71)vibrant bar scene (48)great for brunch (46)neighborhood gem (37)notable wine list (36)great for lunch (32)late-night find (22)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- 3rd time's a charm!ChristyMroczDined on 11/22/2014This was our third visit to Buku--second time for dinner. We came for lunch the first time, and were unimpressed. I thought we'd never go again, but then some friends said they loved going there for dinner so we gave it another shot and the food was fabulous the second time around. And this last time was a great experience as well. Good bar scene with attentive service, great cocktails, and then moving to our dinner table, had a great waiter who served up very tasty food. We ordered the empanadas, the dumplings, a Sea Bass special that was out of this world, and other small plates that were all fantastic (there were 4 of us). Go check it out--you won't be disappointed if you're the foodie/adventurous type!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed and overpaidOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014Came here for my friend's birthday with 4 friends. Decided to split some small plates. Overall I would say the food was excellent. Well done and perfect for sharing. The service was awful. Ordered a bottle of wine. Paid $27 for the same exact bottle of wine I buy at my grocery store chain for $8 on special. Ordered another bottle of wine. The waitress never even brought it to our table. After about 30 minutes of waiting for the bottle, I told her not to worry about it and just bring us a check. Dinner lasted well over and hour. Never received water refills. The waitress cleared our plates before the rest of our food came out and then never brought us clean ones? So basically the four of us ate half of our dinner without any plate. Totally unacceptable for that kind of restaurant. Especially for what we paid, I would expect better. I most likely won't be going back for the fear of being overcharged for food I can get at the food truck rodeo and being ignore my entire meal by the staff. Unfortunate.Special Features:
- Mrwebb427VIPDined on 11/21/2014The food was good and the ambience. We liked our server. Dessert was not warmed up but they were very accommodating to fix it. a little priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot potspgallVIPDined on 11/21/2014We each enjoyed a different hot pot. Fragrant and tasty! Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night Flights are a great valueRaleighwoodDined on 11/21/2014Tried three "new to me" wines thanks to the Friday Night Flights promotion - $15 for three, three-ounce pours... a great price when you look at their per glass wine menu pricing that's $9+. I enjoyed all three. The Massaman Hot Pot was very good, but a super generous size and could definitely be shared by two. Great for date night - we sat at a two top and were surrounded by the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner lived up to our expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/20/2014So many good things on the menu - you could come back and have totally different food experiences many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014Beautiful restaurant. The food was unique and delicious and the service was impeccable. We tried several small plates and a couple of large plates. All were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in RaleighChefohleDined on 11/14/2014Bu•ku is one of those restaurants that you must try and try again in Raleigh. It's food is totally memorizing, a true delight to the senses and something completely different than other restaurants. The service is spot on, the atmosphere is beautiful with clean lines with many soft touches to keep the noise down. The drink list rivals those of big city hot spots, but without the high prices. In a nutshell, bu•ku is just what Raleigh needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy TapaslilyandivysmomDined on 11/8/2014We celebrated our daughters 24th birthday at Buku's. There were six of us and we ordered many, many tapas and 2 bottles of wine and we still came in under $200. We all left very satisfied, stuffed even, so great food at good prices, can't beat that! Definitely would recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great varietyFoxhallDined on 11/8/2014When you can't decide what you are in the mood for, or if your group can't agree on where to go, Buku is the best solution! There is something there for everyone! Great ambiance too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice feelOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/4/2014This was a unique place, the food was awesome ,but the waiter said they are changing the menu completely to keep it new (this was on 10/26/14) so i wont go into it to much since you wont be able to order it. But if they keep up the quality and variance it will be worth the visit. Really cool bar area to wait in as well. Good date spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Always a little something for everyone. And all the choices are delicious!Special Features:
- Always lovelySirenaVIPDined on 11/1/2014We have been coming to Buku for years. This time for an early lunch after being at the convention center a few blocks away. We especially like their small plates for sharing. Service has consistently been professional and friendly. We have had several business group dinners here and everyone has always enjoyed themselves.Special Features:
- BukuEatoutyespleaseDined on 10/30/2014Yum, as usual! My go to place when consistency counts and there's no room for mishaps! Delicious every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch after early voting/birthdayEdgarDined on 10/29/2014Great food and service. It was a bit loud inside due to minor construction but outside city noise was unbearable. The staff took great care of us. The food is great but their desserts are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!RaleighNativeDined on 10/26/2014On our second visit, my wife and I are still impressed. We love the tapas dishes so that we can share and try several things in one visit. Our absolute favorite is the Buku Hot Pot, I could eat that everyday and be satisfied. We've never been there when it's crowded, so service is quick and the restaurant is quiet. We heard the menu is changing soon, so we hope our favorites are still there!Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/26/2014We visited Buku on a Sunday evening. There was no waiting. Our waitress was very helpful and made good suggestions. I had the Chilean Sea bass and my wife had the salmon. Both were very delicious. We tried the tiramasu for dessert and were surprised when it arrived in a tall glass inspite of our surprise the tiramisu was delicious. We will most definitely return.Special Features:
- Great as usual! what you getgregwnc2Dined on 10/26/2014Buku never disappoints for brunch. Yes, it might be a bit pricey (typically about $50 for two) for brunch, but it's well worth it for what you get. Honestly, you'd probably have to go to Vegas to get the variety of foods you get at Buku. There's obviously cheaper brunch/lunch places in the area and it might not be an every weekend place, but it's unlike anything else in the area. When family comes in for out of town, I head straight to Buku with them and nobody has complained yet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceJennandRyanDined on 10/25/2014We had a lovely lunch with family and friends. The food and service were exceptional!Special Features:
- 3GoldensDined on 10/24/2014Came in for our anniversary with a party of 8 and it was great!Special Features:
- Buku never disappointsbusinessdinerDined on 10/20/2014I've eaten at Buku many times but I don't think I've ever done a review. They never disappoint. The food is always very good. It's not your typical selection of dishes which adds a little adventure to eating there but I've never disliked anything I've tried. Service is pretty much top-notch every time and the selection of beers and wines has always been good as well. Whenever a business dinner or lunch comes up I try to make Buku my destination.Special Features:
- Delightful surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 10/19/2014While in Raleigh for a conference, with trepidation I selected Bu Ku for a team dinner that included a few extremely picky eaters. Its unusual to find a restaurant that accomplishes excellence with a cornucopia menu, however, Bu Ku achieves this and more. Touting farm to table ingredients, they have mastered dishes from around the world. My lamb kabob was one of the most delicious I've ever eaten. My pescatarian, vegetarian and vegan colleagues raved about their dishes as well as the carnivores. The waitress was very patient, kind and didn't miss a beat answering questions about the menu and food preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buku rocks!LorinanaVIPDined on 10/19/2014Had the opportunity to have lunch and dinner at this treasure last weekend. Their menu is a variety of skillfully prepared dishes from around the world-Thai, Russian, Spanish, Japanese. With an assortment of tapas as well as large plates, there is a dish for every food preference! Highly recommend and plan to dine there often!Special Features:
- Excellent!LuvItalianDined on 10/19/2014From start to finish, Buku was absolutely wonderful. It is beautiful and comfortable. The staff were very nice, very knowledgeable and helpful since it was our first visit. The food was phenomenal! I will definitely return and take friends. I have already recommended it to a few people. Thank you for a wonderful evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try Buku! They don't disappoint!Luv2dineDined on 10/18/2014Great ambiance- check! Great food- check! Great service- check! If you're in Raleigh, Buku is definitely a must try! There are a variety of appetizers, small plates, and entrees, and the desserts are amazing! The Pad- Thai was a group fave, along with the chocolate soufflé! Buku offers a good selection of wines and cocktails; the sangria was a crowd pleaser!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, great servicetonymDined on 10/18/2014Nice place. Excellent food and variety. Enjoyed arriving early before crowds. Best meal I've had in Raleigh in a while.Special Features:
- kktryroriDined on 10/15/2014Our service was sensitive -- our waitress checked in with us but was open to our need to talk and the slowness with which we ordered. As a Wednesday night, it was also not too loud. I ordered some of my favorite dishes -- Vietnamese crepe, Indian sweet potato cake, chocolate souffle -- and continued to find them tasty. But I particularly want to commend the service.Special Features:
- my birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I always enjoy eating at BUKU. We go at least three or four times a year. It is highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too many choicesByrdmanDined on 10/6/2014I had never been here before and wondered what world street food was......Three of us tried completely different things throughut the meal and everything was superb! The waiter knew his stuff and was very helpful on both wine and food. Cant wait to go backSpecial Features:
- cb315Dined on 10/5/2014One of my favorite Raleigh restaurants. We moved to Charleston, but when we are back in NC we try to get to Buku!Special Features:
- Very good brunchGaryDined on 10/5/2014We had a family get-together, group of 6 total, and were seated at a half-circle booth, at our request. The service was fast, courteous, and attentive. The Sunday brunch was very good and had a great variety of choices, some a little more off the beaten path and with a delightful twist, which we much appreciated. It was a buffet-style service, but the food was fresh, hot, and delicious. Recommended!Special Features:
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014My group and I had a great time Saturday night! We really enjoyed the ambiance as well as the hospitable staff. Thank you much!Special Features:
- Will definitely return!JBRaleighDined on 10/4/2014The food we had was awesome! All 4 of us agreed, and we all had different items. Had trouble ordering, because so many different things sounded great. Have to go back to try more.Special Features:
- InterestingLoveDiningOutDined on 10/3/2014The food was interesting - not food you will easily find anywhere else. It was exciting to try new things. The food was good, with unexpected flavors and textures. The outdoor dining was exceptional. The tables were nicely spaced so we could move around freely. The table is just off the sidewalk, so you still get the street vibe.Special Features:
- Extremely pleased!ReginaDined on 9/27/2014I've been to Buku many time over the last 2 years and will go back many more times. I'm always more than satisfied with the ambience, food, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good. Not GreatCarpeNCDined on 9/27/2014Outdoor dining will be great when construction across the street is complete. Indoor atmosphere seemed great. Portion sizes are very small. One dish was very dry, my Korean bbq was excellent, but sparse. For us, good but not great. Worth a 2nd try.
- dinerDined on 9/27/2014Welcoming staff, who also were ready with accommodation for person in wheelchair, and respectful. Unfortunately, the seating was such that sun was in our eyes, and we had to adjust seating at table. Vegetarian selections not quite up to quality of nonvegetarian; but I personally enjoyed my Chilean sea bass, which is a factor in our choosing buku.Special Features:
- Not tasty enough for the priceLeeSDined on 9/26/2014I ate at Buku while on a business trip to Raleigh. We needed a restaurant with walking distance from the convention center and decided to eat at Buku because several in our group wanted Asian food. I had several of the small plates and tried the Pacific roll and the Pad Thai. The food was not bad but not nearly tasty enough to be worth the $20 price tag per entree. Our server was nice and attentive. She knew the menu and answered our questions well, but I would not go back to this restaurant or recommend it.
- FavePraxisDined on 9/26/2014As we embrace people from around the world, we embrace their food traditions. While BuKu slightly Americanizes the global street food spices, it does make you remember your travels to places you've enjoyed and those you have yet to enjoy.Special Features:
- Went back 2 days in a rowBoomieDined on 9/25/2014Super great food! Went back two nights of a five day trip.Special Features: