Build Pizzeria - Berkeley
2286 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Build Pizzeria - Berkeley
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.buildpizzeria.com/
- Phone: 5108981839x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Gastro Pub, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Build Pizzeria - Berkeley
Build is the “next generation” pizzeria & bar. It’s a fun & lively place, where you get to direct the country's top pizzaiolos to create the most delicious, authentic, artisan Roman-style pizza you've ever had. With our expertise, & your creativity, you can’t go wrong! Once we pop your pizza into our wood-fired ovens, your creation is ready in less than three minutes! Now you can sit back, relax, & enjoy authentic Italian antipasti, one of our organic salads, or a house-made dolce. Come visit our bar which was voted 2013’s “Best New Bar” by East Bay Express & features our amazing Napa Valley wines by the glass, our local-brewed craft beers, or try our amazing artisan cocktails crafted by the beverage magicians, Scott Beattie & Jay Crabb. Feel free to come in & watch the Bay Area games on one of 3 big screens, enjoy live music, or just hang out with friends. As we say… come on in & find your inner pizza!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Build Pizzeria - Berkeley reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (34)neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (22)kid-friendly (22)vibrant bar scene (14)great for lunch (14)hot spot (11)great for brunch (6)special occasion (6)late-night find (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great food, lots of noisesparkyDined on 10/16/2014Berkeley's gourmet pizzeria with upscale bohemian ambiance - many artisanal brews to choose from, and a clever do-it-yourself selection of pizza toppings. You can also skip the D.I.Y. option and order set specialty pizzas from the menu: the Insalata, with prosicutto, Parmesan shavings, fresh arugula and a drizzle of balsamico syrup is a fave. One warning: if there's anyone in your party who has hearing issues or, god forbid, a hearing aid, consider going elsewhere. Between the music, loud young crowd, plate glass windows and lack of any sound deadening material on the ceiling, the interior noise levels exceed the 'energetic' rating above: they're frenetic. For older adults, conversation can become Mission Impossible.Special Features:
- GOOD PIZZA AND SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/13/2014PIZZA WAS GREAT AND SO WAS SERVICE. I ALSO HAD THE TRUFFLE FRIES AND MAC AND CHEESE ALSO GOOD.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Pizzas were fine, nothing special. Noise level was deafening, very hard to have a conversation. Service was adequate. Good place for kids and families. I would not go there for a romantic evening, or a business meeting.Special Features:
- Skip itOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/3/2014Yes, the pizza is good, especially the tartufo. But the "swank" decor is deafening, the service is well-meaning but erratic, we were delivered the wrong pies and our salads were forgotten, almost missed the opening of our show.Most startling: a $200 tab for 5- that was for pizza, salad and one drink each, consumed in a harried, indigestible dash.
- VibrantNicoLiscioudVIPDined on 9/27/2014I've been here several times. I return because the food is flavorful and well-prepared, the wines are nice and the service is just right. This place is casual and comfy but has a hipster edge to it that makes you feel cool when you're there. Pizza Insalata is excellent with a crisp, thin crust and the right amount of goodies on top. There are also some nice beers. The staff is friendly but not syrupy sweet. Just right. Everything about this place is just right. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great foodmelksterDined on 9/26/2014I had a really great time at Build Pizzeria. They have a great drink menu with interesting cocktails and a solid list of beers. The process for creating a pizza is great -- you can order a totally custom one with a variety of ingredients or order a vetted signature pie. Or something in between, which is what I did. The service was really great, too. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice cocktails and great pizza!Homecook43VIPDined on 9/17/2014For appetizers, we ordered the truffle fries (thin, crispy and savory) and calamari (crispy and lightly battered with a nice aioli). We also had the Caesar Salad with anchovies. Dressing was good and the greens were all nicely dressed. By the time our Carni Pizza came, I was almost full. I had a couple of small slices and my husband had the rest. It was really good! I like that the crust holds its shape when you pick it up and put it in your mouth. I ordered the warm chocolate cake with raspberry coulis and whipped cream for dessert. It was light and chocolatey. Definitely try a cocktail. I had the Tazza di Pimms and it was great. I would go back, sit at the bar, try another cocktail with my pizza next time I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza not as good as in the pastLolaDined on 9/16/2014We've been several times to Build and like the concept but the pizza was not as good this time as in the past. No salt was used at all and we asked for baby arugula on our margarita pizza and it was huge and there was way too much of it.Special Features:
- Good Pizza, Big Space and good BeeryoungrdDined on 9/13/2014First time at BUILD and we enjoyed the food, beer and space. Nice central location as we walked to the Greek Theatre for a concert after dinner. Recommend this place. More neopolitan style pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Concept, Great Pizza!justAwolfeDined on 9/9/2014I'm surprised it's taken so long for someone to do this, and quite glad that Build did. PLUSES: There's a wide choice of wonderful ingredients, and it's fun to be creative with them. Also, the truffle arancinis are pretty spectacular. Nice to have a full bar. MINUSES: Their cocktails are a bit pricey for me, and I'm torn about the large screen TVs... I know these are the big thing right now in almost any kind of restaurant, and I like watching the Giants win over pizza and a beer (or root beer, or cider), but I also like dining with folks who are present at the table, not distracted by a glowy-box.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JUST YUMMY!jwpoonVIPDined on 9/6/2014If you come here, you have to design your own pizza. Such a great experience - makes eating more fun! We'll definitely be back for more :)Special Features:
- Fun place for great pizza!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The pizza was awesome! Lot of tasty, fresh ingredients on their buffet and you can create your own pizza!Special Features:
- Good pizza, good conceptLolaDined on 8/15/2014But too loud! Cannot have a conversation with the person across the table from you! Need some sound proofing!Special Features:
- Not quite up to parthisjustenVIPDined on 8/10/2014The look of the place suggests a scaled up Delfina Pizzeria of San Francisco fame. But it feels more like they’re aping that style, bringing nothing authentic to it. The real problem is the food quality, which is not even close to Delfina. I began with the Truffle Arancini (crispy, breaded, fried rice balls - a sinfully delicious indulgence I partook of often when I lived in Rome). They were mushy and lumped untraditionally in a bowl of tomato sauce. The taste was ok upfront, but greasy and blah in the end. My buddy's sausage pizza was passable, but my Piccante was a hot mess, bland ingredients piled on to a soggy "crust". Just not good. Mediocre wine choices, excellent beer selection. The service was great, friendly & fairly prompt.Special Features:
- It's PizzaHillforkVIPDined on 8/8/2014Super freshly made to your specs- Pizza which is hard to please an Easterner used to good Pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very kid friendlyBob0117VIPDined on 8/3/2014Not sure why since the restaurant was 3/4 empty, but hostess immediately led me and my friend to a table that was approximately 2" from a table full of screaming kids. I asked to be seated by the window as their were plenty of seats available. Nope she couldn't do that, instead had to bring us to the bar area and put us at a table for 2 along the wall, God forbid we be comfortable. Then 2 minutes later she led a gang of 5 kids and one adult to a high table that loomed over us. I guess she showed me. Service was ok but well after we ordered the waitress came back to tell us they were out of the pasta my friend ordered. 2 pasta dishes on the menu, and they are out of one. So he ordered a pizza. Mine came immediately his came 15 minutes later.Special Features:
- I remember it as being better...CeleryDined on 8/3/2014A few weeks ago we dined at Build before a theatre event and the food and service were great. This last dinner 2 nights ago, something happened. The pizza and salads were fine (the chopped salad is realllly over-priced) but the service was slow!!! and we had to rush to finish our meal and make it to the theatre (even after alerting the wait staff we were in a time crunch). It seemed they were short-staffed?? We'll try it again, but only one more time.Special Features:
- Excellent pizzaHillforkVIPDined on 7/18/2014Great tasting freshly baked pizza that I personally designed. Very friendly staff with quick food delivery to the table. My wife ordered a house special which she went crazy about, which is a rare occurrence. I decided to build mine. The food arrived in quick time. Enjoyed all of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible serviceCheeseDined on 7/17/2014Good was fantastic, service was not. Yeah they were busy, but it took 15 minutes after I ordered my beer for it to arrive and then another 15 for our waitress to take our order. The salad didn't come for 20 more minutes, and then we waited in the pizza line while a girl completed what looked to be phone or table orders and had us wait... For 10 minutes... Now I know it was a busy evening and a couple employees didn't show up, but it doesn't appear that the proper amendments were made within the staff to pick up the slack. The hostess also didn't check me in through open table so I had to dispute that. Other than the horrible service, the food was very good and the price didn't break my budget!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unexpected great evening....SteveTVIPDined on 7/13/2014...thanks to Jasmine, my server who took care of me as a solo diner (my friend canceled at the last minute) and made me feel comfortable and well-taken care of. the pizza was creative and tasty. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groups with food issuesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2014We took our family here- 1 wheat sensitivity/glutin free/no milk 1 no pepper/no onion/tomato 2regular eaters. It was great to satisfy all and it was easy- drinks are great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/4/2014Pizza was ok. Sat facing dirty dishes on a table throughout our meal on Friday night (July 4). Service was sketchy at best. Not sure what all the buzz was about as there are many other superior pizza places in the area.
- Yummy and comfortableMelodyDined on 6/28/2014Came here for a birthday celebration with a big group of friends. At lunch time, they were very accomodating, helpful, friendly and generally all around pleasant, which is exactly the kind of treatment you want on your birthday! Can't wait to come back and try more of their delicious pizzas!Special Features:
- Fab find for our pre-show dinner!Sandcollector57VIPDined on 6/27/2014I don't usually rate restaurants but this one exceeded our expectations! We stopped in for a pre-concert meal and were pleasantly surprised. Our salads and pizzas were to die for, the ambiance / atmosphere was lively and fun and the service was great. I would recommend to friends and come here again!Special Features:
- The following 42 reviews are from the Build Pizzeria - Berkeley reviews archive.
- Always good at BuildMichaelVIPDined on 6/22/2014We've been here 3 times now and it's always fun. You choose the pizza toppings, so they are always what you want, the crust is nice and crispy, lots of great craft beers and wines to choose from. Service is friendly, helpful. Atmosphere is hopping and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good all around spot.mslyseDined on 6/21/2014This place is really good. The pizza is really good and is ready in less than 15 min.m I loved the pizza bar, irs fun to design your own pizza. Cocktails are great and I enjoyed the red wine flight.Special Features:
- fiddly ordering methodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/19/2014Good food but they ask you to go back up to the counter after having been seated (get your purse, move your napkin, shuffle the chair out) and order you pizza so that you can watch them make it. Too weird. Just take my order from my seat, thank you.
- Build-ing CommunityIheartfoodDined on 6/16/2014Since Build has moved to Downtown Berkeley it has become a magnet for pretty much anyone who can afford a double-digit meal. With personalized pizzas under $20 and a good variety of appetizers and drinks, both virgin and alcoholic, it draws a diverse crowd. Not only does Build offer high-quality, yummy toppings, sauces, and crusts, it also gives back to many charities. They graciously offer to give 10% of their profits to local or national charities when requested. I attended a Relay for Life Rally here recently that they hosted. That day 10% of the profits went to the Relay (including drinks), and they offered to do it again. The wait staff and pizza creators here are the smiliest around. Always great food and great fun.Special Features:
- good vibesCeleryDined on 6/10/2014Really enjoyed this place. Food good, service good, value good. One exception --- very skimpy on the martini pour~Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!KevinDined on 6/7/2014I live in Marin and my in-laws live in the east bay, so this was a good reason to get together. Great food, great ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interactive pizza place, but loudEastBayAdventurerDined on 6/7/2014Lively, but noisy, watch them make your pizza concept. Flavor a a bit too plain / safely middle of the road. Service staff seemed to try to rush us. Tables too small for each person to get a 10" pan for pizzaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCharleneMDined on 5/24/2014We had some specialty pizzas that were excellent- as were their cocktails!Special Features:
- First night outNicolineOvesenDined on 5/23/2014We've been here for two months and will be here for seven more on a research visit on LBNL. We have a 6 months old baby and this was the first time we were out on our own with her. The service was amazing and we were given a small lump of dough she could play with. The waiter was extremely attentive and everyone was very nice and helpful. The food was very tasty, we did not bild our own but went with the specials and they were yum. The drinks looked soooo good :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't share food here...elliebellieVIPDined on 5/18/2014Good, fresh food, tiny portions. I don't like huge portions, but salad was half the size I'm used to. It was a few bites. Pizza was yummy, but definitely do not share one (which we always do normally at other places) ! Very, very light. We never order desert but had to, would have left hungry. I just got the impression they are really watching their profit margin by using less ingredients.
- Time Crunch Save!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/7/2014Was pressed for time before a show, and took a chance with Build. It paid off! Was in and out the door in 40 minutes. The pizza cooks fast and is crispy and delicious. The calamari tasted good but not a good idea to serve in a cone because the batter gets gummy. Drinks were tasty, especially the spicy one. The server was excellent! Overall a solid pre-show venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brown lettuce leavesIgnatiusReillyDined on 4/2/2014It was sloppy this time. Not great. First, I asked the pizza maker if he had any fresh nettles and he didn't even know what nettles were! Second, every one of the lettuce leaves on my green salad had brown tips on it. Like the lettuce had been cut the previous day. I didn't want to mention it to the waiter because I was with my husband and son. But it is a sign that whoever is plating or running the food does not have their eye on the ball. Our waiter was nice though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great concept well executedusuallypleasedDined on 3/30/2014You're bound to enjoy this. We had a party of six and each of us left full and happy. It's a terrific experience, from the full bar to the delicious salads to the individualized pizzas to the rich desserts. The place was hopping, but the service remained strong throughout. Fun and well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/29/2014Yummy food, and not just pizza! The name is a bit misleading, in that it sounds more casual/ "do it yourself" than it is. While you can select your own items to top your pizza, you do not have to. This is more "upscale", while still having a relaxed atmosphere, than I would have thought. Delicious pizza, sides, and salads. The budino is fabulous. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gluten Free optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/24/2014The GF Pizza was quite good. Service very polite and friendly. Prices a bit steep.Special Features:
- Excellent pizzaMichaelVIPDined on 3/22/2014The best thing is the excellent pizza - thin crust with a thick edge, cooked in the wood fired oven - true Italian style. And you can have any toppings you want - true American style! We also had an excellent mixed salad. The wine and beer list is fabulous; so much to choose from, and you can get really good house wine by the 1/2 litre and litre. The deserts are also outstanding - we had the Budino, and it was just divine. Totally recommended. We'll be back with a group for more pizza and great beers. Other reviewers complained about the slow service. A lot of people want instant service, now or sooner, and I put it down to that. We found the service to be just right; we were in and out in just on an hour, on our way to Berkeley Rep.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.