504 E. 12th Street
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (646) 918-7985
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Thursday: 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Friday-Saturday: 5:30 pm - 12:00 am
Sunday: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Bugs
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bugs reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (15)special occasion (6)romantic (4)hot spot (1)Show More
- nothing doingAllenVIPDined on 11/23/2014due to the good reviews I decided to finally try the place. Seats are small and uncomfortable and the food was just ok and on the oily side. Nothing special about this place and no reason to come back.
- Back again1NewYorkerVIPDined on 10/18/2014Flawless omakase at a reasonable price. Charmingly intimate and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BestOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/2/2014Had serious sushi lovin' friends in from LA and they freaked. I did too. Seriously good everything. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasuresChefFedDined on 8/22/2014What chef/owner Sho Boo creates on 2 Burners, with a torch and a toaster, is some of the most pleasurable and most creative Japanese infused NY food experiences available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014the omakase tasting menu ($68 per person) is well worth it. beautiful, delicious food and a good amount. the restaurant is tiny, only about 15 seats total. and it's really amazing to see what the chefs create in their small kitchen without any open flames. i will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare privilegeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2014It's an honor and privilege to dine at the Bugs. This place does not have a kitchen, the whole restaurant is an open area. Watching the chef prepare the perfect meal in front of you in such a tight space is like watching a magic show. The tasting menu at $70 is a steal, including 6 pieces of marinated sushi that rivals Sushi of Gari. We also tried Fried rice ball, what a clever creation, there was also the fried tofu dish that I have never seen anywhere else. The food tasted great and the presentation is exceptional. There is no dessert dishes at the Bugs, one will certainly understand as this small restaurant has no room to turn anymore tricks. Still by the end of the meal, one will be so full and satisfied already. Thank you The Bugs!!!Special Features:
- Good foodEastvillagenycDined on 8/5/2014Can always rely on good food in a friendly environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/2/2014i almost don't want to say anything nice because i always wanna be able to come here and get seated for food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 15 reviews are from the Bugs reviews archive.
- typical japanese omakaseValFromParisVIPDined on 5/9/2014I noticed this restaurant several months ago (I live in the neighborhood) and always wanted to try it. But because it's small (12 pax max) it's tough to have a table. We had a nice dinner, the chef is really nice, food is good but I would recommend you to eat omakase style and be surprised! Only issue, you are going to leave with your cloths smelling food...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is not about sushi!jlonycVIPDined on 5/3/2014While I love sushi, it was such a nice treat to have a special Japanese meal prepared where everything was of the highest quality, and was really interesting and excellent. Wish the place was a little more finished and better quality chairs/tables, but the quality of the food makes up for it. lSpecial Features:
- Delicious!MLEEDined on 4/30/2014Everything is delicious but the omakase menu is the way to go. The chef is extremely talented, and the creativity of the dishes never disappoints! The sushi and sashimi are definitely the highlights here. Preparation and presentation are also beautiful. Highly recommended. It is a very tiny place, though, so probably only best for a party of 2. Sit at the bar to watch the chef work her magic! Sake choices are also great. This is my favorite Japanese restaurant for a special occasion with my husband. The waitress and chef remember us each time we go (which is only about 4 or 5 times a year!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bugs ReviewkwinnickDined on 4/11/2014Very imaginative Japanese fare. It is an intimate, little gem in the East Village. The dishes melt in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More weird than wonderfulYossarianVIPDined on 3/2/2014I was expecting weird (note the name!) and I got it. The soup and sashimi were fine. The sushi was a bit odd: too many flavor combinations and no fish that really stood out to me. The seating and atmosphere were fine. I think next time, if I come back, I'd order a la carte instead of the prix fix. There was plenty of food, but nothing memorable.
- Love Bugs!foodreviewDined on 3/1/2014A friend of mine went on Saturday night. We were concerned when we arrived and no one else was there. Imagine our delight to find the food was amazing. Very creative, without being weird. The sushi was the best quality sushi I have had in NYC. If I lived in this neighborhood, I would eat here every week. Our concern as we left is there were only a few people there. Please try this little place, the food is great and the people were lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Chef's Tasting Menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2014My wife and I did the chef's tasting menu and it was ridiculously GOOD! I am so glad we chose to do the tasting menu! It may not be the most "traditional" sushi place around, as they do use some unique dabs of flavor on the sashimi, sushi and meat/fish dishes, but these fun and flavorful, yet subtle flavors are what really sets this place apart from the sushi pack! We will be returning here every time we come NYC.Special Features:
- Amazing Mealother1Dined on 2/14/2014Had the Valentine's tasting menu and it was amazing. Such simple and elegant dishes with amazing flavors that you would never imagine.Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/8/2014In close quarters and in awe of what she can produce out of the tiniest of kitchens the food was probably one of the best meals I have had in NYC in a long time. Definitely tight quarters and limited menu but it was not an issue.... Everything we had was wonderful. Chef Selection Sushi, the Chicken and the garlic rice probably some of the best I have had in a long long time. Worth the trip. Don't let the weird name keep you away!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentAK116VIPDined on 2/7/2014I come here at least twice a month, and I've never been disappointed. The food is so delicious and flavorful, the staff, including the chef, is very attentive, and you can see the love and attention they put into each dish. The service is great, which is notable considering there is only 1 server! We ate almost everything on the menu! Love this place, I will keep coming back. I get cravings for it every week!Special Features:
- Best Innovative Sushi in the EVOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/15/2014Bugs is a fantastic restaurant, my boyfriend and I try to get there once a week if we can. The scallop salad, shisito peppers and cod are always great, and the $50 for 10 pieces of sushi is the way to go here. Ms. Boo knows her sushi, and she makes it always interesting and modern too. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- + Small plates; - Tasting MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 12/5/2013I went there with my friend tonight as we had heard about this place as a nice, hidden gem. We were pleasantly surprised by the reasonable cost and how well the small plates of yellowtail collar (which was a huge plate in actuality) and a medium sized squid tasted. However, we were most disappointed with the Tasting Menu, which at nearly $60 for the smaller version didn't seem to be that inspiring. We enjoyed the salad with small dried fish in it, but the fish soup and sashimi dishes were uninspiring. The sushi platter with 8 pieces was a mixed bag, with one or two pieces standing out, but overall disappointing. The place remained pretty quiet even when we left after 8pm, which also surprised us on a Thurs evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't ever change the name!mojavejenVIPDined on 11/9/2013I love that this place is called Bugs, and that same sense of fearlessness extends to the whole experience. Rickety bar stools, waitress with limited English, no soy sauce or wasabi available to mindlessly drown your sushi .... beautiful! So refreshing to find a place like this in a city that is getting overly precious. This place stands on its delicious tasting courses and creative sushi, and doesn't need to kowtow to trends or expectations. We plan to come back regularly. Long live Bugs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Utterly charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/9/2013Bugs is a delight. The food is inventive, the atmosphere casual, the setting warm and inviting. We had the $58 tasting menu, and every course featured something new and unexpected. The restaurant is small, but earnest, and deserves a full house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great, great neighborhood find!jenny980VIPDined on 11/1/2013some of the best japanese I've had in the city. a great combo of cooked dishes and raw fish. highly recommend the tasting menu.Special Features: