Buddakan - Philadelphia
325 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Buddakan - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buddakan.com/
- Phone: 2155749440x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Jason Goodman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Buddakan is the perfect venue for corporate or social events. Whether you want to take over the entire facility, overlook the action or be in the midst of it, there are many options for groups to experience Philadelphia’s most highly sought after dining destination.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Farina 2672383650x
A word from Buddakan - Philadelphia
Stephen Starr’s Buddakan is a spectacular restaurant featuring exotic flavors of modern Asian cuisine with creativity and drama. Bon Appetit notes, "The mostly white space is striking, with a lit-from-within communal table in the middle of the room, a waterfall & a ten-foot, candle-bedecked Buddha. The religious icon watches over hip customers indulging in pan-Asian cuisine that far surpasses the fare usually found at hot spots like this." Newsweek reports, "Design also serves as a signifier for cuisine. You walk into Buddakan, one of the hottest new restaurants in Philadelphia, past a shimmering waterfall & Japanese river stones & you say to yourself, 'ginger-miso everything' even before you see the magnificent 10-foot Buddha dominating the dining room." Named one of “America's Top 50 Restaurants" by Travel & Leisure and 'Top Restaurant for Fun' by Gourmet, Buddakan has become one of the country's most talked about restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Buddakan - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Buddakan - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
547 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (361)fit for foodies (338)hot spot (246)good for groups (245)romantic (205)neighborhood gem (104)vibrant bar scene (95)great for lunch (86)late-night find (60)notable wine list (51)scenic view (22)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014EXCELLENT DINNER - CALAMARI SALAD WAS DELICIOUS AND RED SNAPPER WAS A GREAT PRESENTATION AND TASTED GOODTOO.Special Features:
- ExcellentPhillyguyDined on 10/26/2014Had a GRRREAT dining experience. Enjoyed the Chilean sea bass and red snapper. Will definitely like to dine here again. A true gem in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Always Fantastic!ajbinusaDined on 10/26/2014For several years now, I have been celebrating my birthday with a dinner at the restaurant. Dumplings are always flavored well, scallops were delicious and Phad Thai was excellent. Service was great and chocolate bento box was a great surprise of variety.Special Features:
- DisappointinggjanDined on 10/25/2014I have been to Buddakan many times since its opening in Philadelphia. My last visit was so disappointing! Despite having reservations we were seated at a small bar table. People were standing over us while we ate, we could hear full conversations of people on either side, waitress's backside was in our face anytime she went to the other tables. The food has also really gone down hill. The calamari salad was so salty I couldn't eat it, the pad thai portion has shrunk w/ too much cilantro, and the crispy shrimp was just 5 regular size shrimp on a plate w/ a walnut and piece of pepper - so not worth the price. Then to top it off they took my favorite dessert off the menu - no chocolate banana tower. The desserts were mediocre at best.
- My favorite restaurant!!IluvfoodDined on 10/25/2014I love Buddakan my favorite things are the calamari salad and pan seared sea bass!! Both to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentClub619Dined on 10/24/2014Our favorite place to eat. Wasabi mashed potatoes are the best! And the best Cosmo and Martini's we've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a gem!SallyDined on 10/24/2014Always accommodating; great food; great service; a fun atmosphere; we always enjoy dining here and so so about once a week! One of our favorites!Special Features:
- Another wonderful birthdaySurpriselunchDined on 10/23/2014I made the reservations without telling my wife. This has been one of our favorite restaurants for many years. We have never had anything less than a very good dinner. We take out of town friends, business associates and family here. Reservations were on time, they remembered her birthday and she was smiling all night. What else could I ask fit?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMarbananaDined on 10/22/2014The food was very good. Like the family style environment, allows to try several options. The overal ambiance is good, but it was loud and the constant, same beated music was very annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerIntlove1522Dined on 10/22/2014A perfect birthday dinner experience. Food was good, service was good. My only complaint would be that the staff always seems to be hawking you to see if you're finished eating to clean off the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!LaurakDined on 10/22/2014We haven't been to Buddakan in almost two year, but some things never change - in a good way! The food was amazing from start to finish. We overindulged, but we were three happy people when we left! Kobe Beef Satay is a must every time, and the Red Snapper was delicious and such an awesome presentation!Special Features:
- LencherylVIPDined on 10/21/2014One of the best restaurants in town. Excellent service and excellent foogSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winner!Stella52VIPDined on 10/21/2014one of the best & most dependable places I've been...and has been for probably close to 20 years!?Special Features:
- If You are Looking to Be SeenSetterOwnerDined on 10/20/2014We had always heard about Buddakan but had never been. It was my husband's birthday so it was very nice when he was greeted with Happy Birthday at the door. The food was good but not what I had heard once described as unbelievably amazing. My husband did say the 5 spice duck was cooked perfectly and was one of the best duck dishes he has ever had and he is a duck crazy. We also tried several appetizers and the best were the General Tso's dumplings. The other 2, pork pot stickers and the Peking Duck Buns were just OK. My Lobster fried rice was tasty but hard to find the lobster. It was a Monday night and it was packed with lots of activity. Loud like all Starr restaurants. If that's your thing, it's great. We just like it a bit quieter.Special Features:
- Amazing Food, Better ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Our waiter, Thomas, was on top of everything. He was constantly checking-in to make sure we were satisfied. The food was great as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a FavoriteNicolewesoDined on 10/19/2014I always enjoy my dinner at Buddakan. This time we tried the spice duck entrée, and it will definitely be a go-to forevermore. And as always the service was great.Special Features:
- FlashVIPDined on 10/18/2014Service was slow at times. Half the dishes had way to much salt.
- AmazingCathyDined on 10/17/2014Great night to celebrate a birthday. Excellent service and food. Loved the Buddha.Special Features:
- awesomemicaDined on 10/17/2014first time there and I have no complaints. The entire atmosphere was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fusion fanulousAsianfoodloverDined on 10/16/2014Ambience, service and food were fantastic. We would have preferred delivery of fishes to be separated rather delivered all at once. That said, we highly recommend Buddakan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best!luv2dineVIPDined on 10/12/2014It's our favorite restaurant in Philadelphia. We had a birthday party here and just a romantic dinner for 2 and always have a great time. Food is delicious and a presentation just amazing. Great atmosphere and very well trained waiters. Looking forward to come back.Special Features:
- Great serviceJloca215Dined on 10/11/2014The staff was extremely accomodating and friendly. The service was very prompt. My husband loved his dish. Ambiance was great. Glad I finally got to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best part of my visit to PhillyDomyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Food, service, and ambiance were perfect! I can't wait to go there next time I go to Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not so great serverOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014This was my first time going to Buddakan, also the first time for my boyfriend. He picked this restaurant for his birthday dinner. Our waitress was not helpful when it came to the menu and made it very clear she did not want to help us pick items for dinner. After ordering drinks we didn't see her for about 20 minutes then we went to order and mid sentence she just walked away from us. She also thought it was my birthday and not his and messed up the desserts. Over all the place is very nice and the food was AMAZING, but when you are paying for a pricey meal the wait staff should be phenomenal and it was not.Special Features:
- Small dinner groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014This is a great place for a group of 6-10. Buddakan's is a shared meal experience. We were 5, so we order 3 appetizers, followed by 3 dinners followed by 3 desserts. We had plenty to eat and sharing the plates was fun. With 5 people, we had a variety of likes and dislikes; the menu allowed us to order favorites that one might not like, but there was a different favorite to enjoy. Some of the appetizers only had 3-4 pieces so our waiter asked if we wanted to increase all the appetizers to accommodate the 5 of us. You must save room for dessert...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014Drinks were great. Appetizers were very good. Service was fine. Entree's were very disappointing. Beef had a weird texture and shrimp had an iodine flavor that made it not palatable. We were a large group and had the group option. It was way too much food and it wasn't that delicious. We will not be going back anytime soon.
- Great Place!JulianQuirozDined on 10/8/2014My friend Veronica and I had a very pleasant experience at Buddakan. Two long time friends catching up along with great food, great drinks, and great ambiance. Our server Larry made sure we felt special all night long. He was great!!! I loved the fact that you get fresh silverware with every course. Thank you! JulianSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tasting menu!FoodieAtHeartVIPDined on 10/8/2014The terrific, interesting dishes kept coming and the donuts were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always up to parimichelleeeeDined on 10/7/2014I've been here numerous times for lunch and recently dined here for dinner. Each time I come, the service gets better. Mark was my server for the evening and did a fantastic job making sure my guest and I had everything we needed. It was an anniversary dinner and the dessert that came out was stunning. Even after our dinner, Mark took care of us and made sure we were going to arrive home safely through the thunderstorm. Buddakan will always be a top choice to dine at for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014We ordered Sea bass and lamb chops the presentation as well as taste are amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner was spectacularLF0XDined on 10/3/2014I've been to quite a few Starr restaurants but this one was by far superior. Far better than our lackluster birthday dinner previous years at Morimoto where our waiter was unkempt, and inattentive. The waitress at Buddakan was fantastic. She was friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient. She even brought a surprise coconut icecream with a sparkler to our table because she realized it was my date's birthday! We had a romantic evening and left feeling so full with big smiles on our faces. The food and drinks were better than I had expected! My only complaint is the location of the bathroom was often blocked by boisterous bar patrons.Special Features:
- MelissaDined on 10/3/2014We celebrated a birthday this past Friday. The food was fantastic! We ordered the crispy calamari salad, the king crab tempura, the Buddakan style sashimi, the crab and shrimp dumplings, and the Cantonese spring rolls. Our server was great and extremely helpful. For the dessert we ordered the Dim Sum Donuts.Special Features:
- AmazingktmillerpaDined on 10/3/2014Went here last Friday night and was blown away. I was impressed in all facets of the experience. The ambiance was great, the temperature was comfortable, the wait staff was polite and fast, the noise level was loud but not impossible and of course; the food was unbelievable. If you want a bad meal, stay away from Buddakan! This is a class restaurant that provides an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as ever!wish4parisVIPDined on 10/3/2014Buddakan does not disappoint. It is a great choice for a special occasion, or when you are simply in the mood for a great meal with an overall wonderful dining experience. We started with their special cocktails. One called "strength"- very good, but you need to like cilantro, and the other was "joy", also very good. With a beginning like that, we knew we were in for greatness. The calamari salad was amazing, and the dumplings and spring rolls, were also very good. Then on to the main course...lamb chops and sea bass! We could not decide which was better. They are too different to compare! Be sure to leave room for dessert. The chocolate dessert bento box and the doughnuts, guarantee you will go home happy!Special Features:
- Never a let downUniblabDined on 10/1/2014I have been to this restaurant several times, and it is never a let down. The food is always good. My biggest complaint is the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit of many more...luv2eatDined on 9/30/2014Me and my girlfriend visited the restaurant this week for her birthday and we have a very enjoyable experience! It was the first time for both of us, but we definitely intend to return for many more dining experiences. The food was great, the service was awesome, and the ambiance was remarkable. I would definitely recommend Buddakan to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barbaraLuvgreatdining2Dined on 9/30/2014we had an outstanding dining experience at Buddakhan We each order and an appetizer and each was delicious-especially the oriental Caesar salad and the duck. Our entrees were equally good. A standout was the Chilian Sea Bass. I would highly recommend dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014Great restaurant, great food! I have been to the one in Atlantic City. Next stop is the one in New York. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- MR,RONMRRONDined on 9/30/2014THE RESTAURANT NEVER DISAPPOINTS, ALWAYS BEAUTIFUL AND ALWAYS FUNSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit Pricey, but goodBBrunoVIPDined on 9/28/2014We enjoyed everything. The food was outstanding and the service was even better.Special Features: