Buddakan - Philadelphia
325 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Buddakan - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buddakan.com/
- Phone: 2155749440x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Jason Goodman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Buddakan is the perfect venue for corporate or social events. Whether you want to take over the entire facility, overlook the action or be in the midst of it, there are many options for groups to experience Philadelphia’s most highly sought after dining destination.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Farina 2672383650x
A word from Buddakan - Philadelphia
Stephen Starr’s Buddakan is a spectacular restaurant featuring exotic flavors of modern Asian cuisine with creativity and drama. Bon Appetit notes, "The mostly white space is striking, with a lit-from-within communal table in the middle of the room, a waterfall & a ten-foot, candle-bedecked Buddha. The religious icon watches over hip customers indulging in pan-Asian cuisine that far surpasses the fare usually found at hot spots like this." Newsweek reports, "Design also serves as a signifier for cuisine. You walk into Buddakan, one of the hottest new restaurants in Philadelphia, past a shimmering waterfall & Japanese river stones & you say to yourself, 'ginger-miso everything' even before you see the magnificent 10-foot Buddha dominating the dining room." Named one of “America's Top 50 Restaurants" by Travel & Leisure and 'Top Restaurant for Fun' by Gourmet, Buddakan has become one of the country's most talked about restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Buddakan - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Buddakan - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
565 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (387)fit for foodies (337)hot spot (256)good for groups (240)romantic (221)neighborhood gem (111)vibrant bar scene (93)great for lunch (89)late-night find (64)notable wine list (54)scenic view (23)kid-friendly (15)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014you have to make reservation, otherwise you will wait for one hour. We went there for our anniversary. Made reservation, got a table in less than five minutes. The restaurant was packed, but the food was served very fast. The food was amazing , drinks and deserts outstanding. It was definitely a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite as good as my first visitKenGDined on 9/26/2014I first went here a year and a half ago as part of a big (30-40 person) group. On that visit, we had the entire upstairs, we had no menus, and they simply brought out food. Everything was exciting, unusual, and spectacular. I especially had remembered the Caesar salad with spiced cashews, the wasabi mashed potatoes, and some beef dish. This time, I brought my family. The salad was still as good as I remembered. And the sashimi appetizer, the General Tso Dumplings, and the cauliflower were spectacular. The duck buns were good, but nothing spectacular. Ditto the beef in a birds nest. The chicken with asparagus was pretty boring. My wife said it looked and tasted like turkey dinner. So this time we had a mix of spectacular and mundane.Special Features:
- Asian at it's BestSteakprincessDined on 9/26/2014Food and service always first class. Clean and attentive are the wait staff. A must during your visit to PhillySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BUDDAKAN JUST ROCKS!!!!!!cal1dineVIPDined on 9/24/2014YESTERDAY I HAD THE GREAT PLEASURE OF HAVING LUNCH AT BUDDAKAN. THE BAR JUST ROCKED WITH GREAT COCKTAILS AND THE FOOD WELL 1ST WAS THE EDAMAME TSO DUMPLING THEY ARE TRULY AMAZING,2ND THE BANGING KOBE BEEF SLIDERS, THESE SLIDERS WERE SOME OF THE BEST THAT I HAVE EVER HAD. SO SERVICE WAS GREAT FOOD AMAZING!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable choice for dinnerBob06Dined on 9/22/2014Have visited frequently and am never disappointed by the excellent cuisine, prepared to perfection with a nice balance using only fresh ingredients. Most recently went here for a business dinner and all the guests enjoyed the variety of food. The menu makes it very easy to share a variety of dishes. Only negative that you should be aware of is the noise level. Because of the open room and the solid walls with little to no sound deadening capacity, the noise level can elevate to where it is hard to hold a conversation except with the person nearest you.Special Features:
- Still RelevantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Service is always great and the atmosphere is still cool. Fun place to go with high energy.Special Features:
- Stephen Starr!YummyAddictDined on 9/20/2014I am a HUGE Stephen Starr fan. My favorite restaurant is POD but all restaurants boast amazing architecture, amazing food, and the best staff! I ordered the miso cod for dinner... slightly disappointed with how small the portion was, but I literally removed flake by flake to savor the deliciousness!Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014After trying several times to get a reservation at Buddakan, I was looking forward to eating there. I brought a group of five. The waitstaff and hostesses are all very nice. The atmosphere is exciting and energetic. However the food was not. We had a variety of dishes. All were fine. Not bad but not good and certainly not great. So sorry that it was not what I thought it would be in terms of good cuisine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014Great food, very loud not a place you want to go with another couple and try and talkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner experienceluvphillyDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I had an overall great dining experience. The food and service was exceptional. Our server was very attentive. The only con I would have is that it was loud. It was difficult to have a conversation due to the noise level. I guess you can say that is a good thing because that meant the restaurant was packed with happy diners!Special Features:
- AmazingMsFoodieDined on 9/19/2014I absolutely loved it. The service was amazing and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still tasty after all these yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014This fall I am dedicating myself to getting back to the restaurants that I have loved in the past. It's time to realize we don't have as many NEW options, so what better way to talk myself back into Buddakan. Afraid that it would have slipped in the 4 years or so since I've been there, I was incredibly impressed at how tasty everything still is there! The wait staff and hostesses were incredibly sweet and friendly--something I didn't really think 4 yrs ago. The food was out of control tasty. The drinks were great, and although crowded, we never felt rushed. IF you have not dined here recently, it's worth the return trip. If you have never been to Buddakan, well, make some friends and get to this awesome place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayNice2dineDined on 9/19/2014The dining experience was great however the food wasn't so good. & it usually is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Meal!shajDined on 9/19/2014I have eaten at Buddahkan several times and have enjoyed the meal every time. The food is well prepared, the waiters are professional and attentive. We have celebrated many special occasions there. The décor is special and fun with the large gold Buddha in the center of the restaurant. I have eaten at many restaurants in Philadelphia, and Buddhakan remains my favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekjennDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant week scene here is quite amazing. They had some amazing edamame dumplings and yellowtail sashimi. The sea bass melted in my mouth! And the dip sum doughnuts were an excellent way to end the meal. We also had the chance to try some entrees off the restaurant menu--pad thai and the five spice duck breast. Both were exquisite. And the servers were absolutely attentive to make sure we had everything we needed. The only thing that I'd have to say is that everything came out a little too salty for my taste buds. The other people in my party however didn't seem to think so.Special Features:
- Amazing as alwaysSarah21Dined on 9/19/2014This is the second time here. Our server was attentive and very kind and patient. The food was delicious and decent portions depending on the dish. Nothing I ate was less than perfect. I suggest going whether with a group of friends or your significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Edamame DumplingscuddlykoalaDined on 9/19/2014Buddakan is a great place to eat and everyone should try their Edamame dumplings at least once in their lives. They are THAT good!!!! The ambience is great...who doesn't love a giant Buddha.Special Features:
- Can't wait to return!!EatnGoodDined on 9/19/2014We want for restaurant week on lunch. I wanted to go for Dinner, as the menu has more variety during that time. However, they were booked for evenings due to it being the last day of restaurant week. Nevertheless, I did get a chance to look at previous reviews and pics along with menu impatiens that certainly made me anxious to return. Only negative experience about it was our server. He was very attentive to a large party he had and paid our party of 2 minimum attention. Evenstill the ladies that walked the floor during our experience were attentive when he was no where to be found. The food is amazing and so is the ambiance of the restaurant. Great variety, satisfactory portions, yummy dessert. This is going to be one of my new favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow to seat us, but still greatDaCoachJrDined on 9/18/2014Our reservation was for 9:45, but we didn't get seated until 10:00. We were also upstairs, which has a much more mellow vibe compared to downstairs. With that said, the food and service were great.Special Features:
- I enjoyed Buddakan.FifaDined on 9/18/2014I enjoyed Buddakan. It was a fun night. The food and wine selection was great. My only complaint is how loud it was. I like energy, but I also like to be able to have a conversation. It was very tough to hear in there.Special Features:
- First and Last TimeSweetlyDelDined on 9/18/2014The appetizers were phenomenal. The main course was just ok. I had wanted to be knocked off my feet but wasn't. I've had better teriyaki salmon at other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Co-Worker DinnerFunNiteVIPDined on 9/18/2014During Restaurant Week, a group of 7 co-workers had dinner at Buddakan. The service was great, atmosphere was impressive and food was excellent. The wait staff was extremely patient with our group as a few people were delayed due to traffic issues in Center City. I would highly recommend this restaurant. It never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonder....?!?!?!RedozgrammyDined on 9/18/2014Thought food was fantastic, noise level picked up as dining room crowd increased. My problem was the constant wiping of the three places at the table with wet and dry cloths--- it made me feel like I was at a diner I really wonder if that was necessary-- I'm not a slob! I felt rather insulted and that's bad at those prices!!! I would debate going back-- and I really loved the donuts!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealBrittDined on 9/18/2014Another amazing meal from buddakon. Never disappoints. Restarant week was an added bonus to try new things at a cheaper price! Definitely one of my favorite philly restarants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbiancebirthdaylunchDined on 9/18/2014The restaurant had a great atmosphere, the food was delicious and our waiter was very knowledgeable of the menu food and drink selection and the overall staff was very outgoingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Restaurant week specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/17/2014The food was fabulous and the staff was attentive but the wait for a table even with a reservation was a little crazy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningKateDined on 9/17/2014Went for Center City Restaurant Week, and it was my third time there. We were sat right away (with reservation) and greeted by server. Food was great and portions were normal. The Dim Sum Doughnuts are a must! Valet took a little longer than expected at the end of the night, but it wasn't too long. Will definitely go back for special occasions.Special Features:
- Ok...Slr92Dined on 9/17/2014Usually when I visit the food is really amazing, however this time it seemed to be on the salty side. Other than that the ambiance was nice and the waitstaff was very nice as well.Special Features:
- ThinkingfunDined on 9/17/2014It's great every time! The menu is full of wonderful items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014We went for our company team lunch and had a great time!! Party of 9 and the waitress was fantastic and very attentive to all of us. Made sure all special requests were met. Everyone had THE BEST time and gave rave reviews. Made me look good for planning lunch there so thanks!Special Features:
- Never Disappointed!meghicksDined on 9/16/2014This has to be the most incredible food I've ever eaten. We went for restaurant week earlier this year & we decided to do Buddakan again this year instead of somewhere else because it was just so good. I will definitely be going here again & again. The waitstaff is incredible & really attentive, the food comes out at a very good pace, the drinks are amazing & the food is beyond delicious. Hands down, favorite restaurant in Philly! Don't leave here without the Dip Sum Doughnuts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyDined on 9/16/2014Food was good. Restaurant was high energy and noise level was very high so the fact that they also had loud music playing made it a bit difficult to carry on a conversation. But, a good dining experience just the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014Went for restaurant week - it was packed but we didn't have to wait long at all for our food. Service was also excellent.Special Features:
- Loved it!GodivaDined on 9/16/2014I visited Buddakan during Restaurant Week and the service was excellent! The food was delicious and just enough. The Chocolate Crying Cake dessert was really good! I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- GreatBVaughanDined on 9/15/2014I'll admit, I that guy who doesn't understand why you'd spend an obscene amount of money on food where there are so many inexpensive options out there (the local Chinese resturant being one of them) but this place is worth the price and the hype. Two words: Chilean Seabass [drops mic and walks off stage].Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tuittifruitti228Dined on 9/15/2014Everything was great until I arrived home and my half of the salmon I ordered was missing. I guess the person who cleared the table threw it away. I was very upset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week 2014RWvetDined on 9/15/2014Went here for RW 2014 and was super delicious! Definitely get dumplings as well as the singapore noodles--DELICIOUS! Also loved the donut dumplings they had for dessert!Special Features:
- Exceptional CuisinephillygirlDined on 9/15/2014Buddakan is always a great choice for a fancy night out. The food is exceptionally interesting and well-prepared. The hamachi appetizer and sea bass entree were to die for. It is open on Mondays, unlike many other Philly restaurants. The downside is the noise level. It was impossible to carry on any conversation given the techno music in the background and the din from chatter and clatter in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent foodCaroundDined on 9/15/2014Extremely good, well-presented dishes. Truly among the best in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Great night!FoodieCarolDined on 9/15/2014Loved the experience. The food was outstanding! My guests had not been before and were happy with my choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.