Buddakan - Philadelphia
325 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Buddakan - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buddakan.com/
- Phone: 2155749440x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Jason Goodman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Buddakan is the perfect venue for corporate or social events. Whether you want to take over the entire facility, overlook the action or be in the midst of it, there are many options for groups to experience Philadelphia’s most highly sought after dining destination.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Farina 2672383650x
A word from Buddakan - Philadelphia
Stephen Starr’s Buddakan is a spectacular restaurant featuring exotic flavors of modern Asian cuisine with creativity and drama. Bon Appetit notes, "The mostly white space is striking, with a lit-from-within communal table in the middle of the room, a waterfall & a ten-foot, candle-bedecked Buddha. The religious icon watches over hip customers indulging in pan-Asian cuisine that far surpasses the fare usually found at hot spots like this." Newsweek reports, "Design also serves as a signifier for cuisine. You walk into Buddakan, one of the hottest new restaurants in Philadelphia, past a shimmering waterfall & Japanese river stones & you say to yourself, 'ginger-miso everything' even before you see the magnificent 10-foot Buddha dominating the dining room." Named one of “America's Top 50 Restaurants" by Travel & Leisure and 'Top Restaurant for Fun' by Gourmet, Buddakan has become one of the country's most talked about restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Buddakan - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Buddakan - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
530 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (370)fit for foodies (306)hot spot (224)good for groups (215)romantic (210)neighborhood gem (99)vibrant bar scene (82)great for lunch (76)late-night find (63)notable wine list (49)scenic view (20)kid-friendly (16)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014I'll admit, I that guy who doesn't understand why you'd spend an obscene amount of money on food where there are so many inexpensive options out there (the local Chinese resturant being one of them) but this place is worth the price and the hype. Two words: Chilean Seabass [drops mic and walks off stage].Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good overallCasitaDined on 9/14/2014Food was excellent (restaurant week menu)and the portions very reasonable. Chilean seabass perfectly cooked. The noise level make it REALLY hard to keep a conversation going at a table for 4. The waiter took the drink order for one person and left. We asked him for drink rec and he said " I could tell you once you know what are your choices for the menu" but returned later and only wanted to hear the drinks orders. I chose a cocktail with cilantro and lime that was deliciuos. We felt rushed out of there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Again!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014We go for restaurant week every time we can get a reservation. It's a great restaurant for us to have a treat.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014My only criticism is the small portion size for the price of each dish.Special Features:
- bad quality yet pricyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014very bad service and bad atmosphere chef needs more training, price is excessively high. needs to bring this to top management attention, you don't expect to make million dollars yet be cheap on quality
- Amazing 1st timeLuvsGoodFoodDined on 9/12/2014After hearing wonderful things about Buddakhan for many years I finally made it. I honestly have to say that it far surpassed my expectation. The food was phenomenal, the service was excellent and the decor was beautiful. I will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond Thee BeyondwarewithallDined on 9/12/2014Leading up to coming we had a small hiccup and the reservation crew at the restaurant helped out with many communications making a real effort to make sure our small group would be accommodated. And it was. Now listen! The food is absolutely delicious. The staff is as friendly as you are ever going to find. It can be a complicated overwhelming menu with so many great items to choose from but they help you through it and before you know it you are eating fabulous food served in a very friendly and easy manner......not an easy task. A bit noisy and loud but hey! Celebrate it.Special Features:
- Awesome!!!FoodieDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I just move here from CA. We are looking for a couple of places to replace our favorite restaurants from CA. Buddakan is definitely one of the places we will revisit. We tried this place during restaurant week and it did not disappoint. I had the Chilean sea bass and my wife had the short ribs. Both dishes were outstanding!!! You have to try the doughnuts for dessert; the spring rolls and dumplings were great as well. Bottom line I don't think you can go wrong visiting this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysPhillyFoodie14Dined on 9/12/2014My favorite restaurant in the city still. The pork was amazing. Edamame pierogies are simply to die for.Special Features:
- Restaurant week 2014VlaskowskiDined on 9/12/2014Great food - amazing dessert. Only complaint was the table we got sat at was in a corner right next to the kitchen. It wasn't a very spacious place and I hated it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Our wait staff was extremely knowledgeable and engaged us in a conversation not a monologue. He helped us make the best choices for our tastes. And the food delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ServiceHappyDinerDined on 9/11/2014My dining experience was during restaurant week and that menu was the one my friend and I ordered from. There were many choices for each of the 3 dinner courses at a set price of $35. While my choices were tasty, my friend made better choices, particularly her entree. Her sea bass was outstanding! But what made the evening was the wonderful service we received. The waiter catered to our every need and did so in a helpful, pleasant manner. I had been to Buddakan several times before for both lunch and dinner, and I will certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to the quality?YoungLizzyDined on 9/11/2014I've been to this restaurant numerous times for dinner; my experience with the food and service had always been great. I made a reservation for a group of 7 for a restaurant week lunch, and the experience was very average. When our food came out, one of my dishes, the pork bun, had a huge black hair on it. I sent it back right away and got a new one. All of the dishes I had were very small and very average. Portions were very scant. This would have been OK if the food tasted special, but it really tasted no different from $4.99 cashew chicken that I could have gotten at the local corner spot. Dessert took VERY long to come out, maybe 20 minutes. Overall, the quality of service and food were subpar compared with previous visits..
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014The food was excellent. Everything was delicious. The only complaint about had was the time it took to get our check after asking for it. But we were in a busy section and our server was busy with other tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every way!PamelaDined on 9/10/2014My husband, son and I went for Restaurant week yesterday. I ordered off the restaurant week menu and they ordered off the regular menu. From appetizers, main course and dessert, everything was absolutely delicious! Especially Loved those donuts! We would absolutely go there again!Special Features:
- Buddakah, sheer joy!bootskDined on 9/10/2014I recently dined at Buddakah to celebrate my "Little Sisters" 16th birthday. I had mentioned our needs for gluten & garlic free. We were greeted with regular menus and the addition of the 2 special menus. It was restaurant week, and the waitress accommodated our needs within the “special pricing”. The food was simply incredible! The servings were plentiful. Her birthday dessert came complete with a sparkler! I have eaten here before, and they never disappoint. Truly a joy to dine here.Special Features:
- Great resturaunt week experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014We love the food atmosphere and Mark is the best waiter! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something is slippingigelDined on 9/10/2014The restaurant menu (for lunch) was confusing because you could get virtually the same things on the bento box non re3staurant week menu. The service which used to be excellent was slipshod at best. The waiter would not hear us(could it be because we were 4 women) when we asked for things like more sauce or a water refill. To pour the water the waiter reached across one of the diners instead of taking the trouble to walk around. We did not pull a PYT tip move but we were offended enough to leave a 15% tip instead of our usual practice of leaving 20%.
- Excellent dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014Service was excellent, food was delicious. Definitely a 3 star restaurant.Special Features:
- The Budda still has itOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/9/2014A recent article in the Inquirer prompted me to return again to Buddakan with 7 others for a business dinner and the food, service and atmosphere were all phenomenal. Always a great choice in my experience.Special Features:
- Resturant WeekBlissRestDined on 9/9/2014It's was a great dinner. The service was amazing and so was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lobster101VIPDined on 9/9/2014My friend and I went for restaurant week. We had spring rolls and shrimp and ginger dumplings for appetizers. Delicious!!!! We also had the pork and sea bass....more delicious and last but not least we had the chocolate cake and coconut cake both with ice cream. It was my friend's birthday and Buddakan was sooo nice...dessert with sprakler and Happy Birthday writtten on the dessert plate....thank you Buddakan for making our dinner so special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes Food! No to the Music!4forPorterDined on 9/8/2014Incredible food, excellent service. The thumping music selection was horrid and really detracted from enjoyment of the expertly prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never dissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/8/2014I have been here several times, and am always impressed with the food, drinks, and service.Special Features:
- Love that huge Buddha!LNG1982Dined on 9/8/2014Buddakan had a great atmosphere and the food was full of flavor. My only complaint is the spacing in the main dining area is very dense; there is a lot of waiting until the next person passes and it seems like you could be a part of another party because the tables are that close. I know it's to serve more customers but I got a lot of strange looks from other too close customers. The staff was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eddiekDined on 9/7/2014Always great!food, People and ambiance. I highly recommend BuddakanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!JTFoodhoundsDined on 9/7/2014We were lucky enough to get a table during restaurant week. First and foremost the food was delicious! This was complemented by an attentive but not overbearing server, who checked on us a few minutes after delivering each course, and a visit by the manager to ensure that everything was satisfactory. We loved the decor, especially as we were seated beside the water feature that creatively separated the front reception area from the dining area. If there was a negative, it was that the noise level was very high at the beginning of our visit (around 8:30pm) though it got better as the evening progressed. Overall we were both impressed and delighted to find that this restaurant delivered what it promised, unlike so many others out there.Special Features:
- Great Start to Restaurant Weekjd5339Dined on 9/7/2014Wouldn't have picked a better place to start Restaurant week with than this one! Although it was a select list for food choices, ALL were amazing, and you still got to order off the regular menu if you wished to try other things. $35 for dinner is a steal, especially at this restaurant. Stephen Starr does such a great job with setting a great mood for his guests, and the food is a HUGE reflection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekRayBlack0149Dined on 9/7/2014Buddakan is probably my favorite Philly restaurant. The service was exceptional as usual. I tried the Chilean sea bass for the first time, which I didn't care for but that probably just means I do not like sea bass in general. The doughnuts are delicious! I only wish our table wasn't so close to the other tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Buddakan is by far my favorite restaurant in Philadelphia. The menu is a real adventure in fine dining, with innovative entrees from appetizers to dessert. All of the selections are tastefully prepared, exquisitely presented and absolutely delicious. Great wine selections too. And the service is attentive and professional without being overbearing. Whatever you do, don't miss the "Dim Sum" doughnuts for dessert....amazing. Sometimes, it tends to be a little on the loud side, and some of the tables are a bit too close, but don't that stop you from an incredible dining experience.Special Features:
- WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We visited Buddakhan on Saturday for our 11 year Anniversary. We got a babysitter, booked a hotel and were very excited. However, it wasn't as memorable as we were hoping. Our waitress had a lot of energy and was very nice; however, as the evening went on, we rarely saw her. Our reservation was at 6:45....she was very attentive in the beginning, but as our dinner went on, we had to try and flag her down for any requests and we ALMOST decided to skip our Anniversary dessert as we were tired of waiting for her return.Special Features:
- Great food and service.Bmoran06Dined on 9/6/2014The food was outstanding. Great to share dishes and make sure someone orders DipSum Doughnuts for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food and great service!FoodLoverDined on 9/6/2014Everything we bad was amazing. We did the tasting menu and that made the experience that much better. Awesome place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck or beef?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014We had the duck thinking that if anyplace would cook it correctly, it would be here. It was good but it could have been beef because it was not at all crispy which is a signature feature of duck.Special Features:
- Great food, pleasant settingdisappointeddiner8Dined on 9/5/2014We wanted a meal before going to Walnut Street Theater. The food was very good and the service perfect. We were not rushed but served in a timely manner, to make it to the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect as UsualChrisGDined on 9/5/2014Everything was delicious. Loved the new Charred Broccoli on the menu.Special Features:
- non gloppy chinese fare!KristenDined on 9/4/2014really like buddakan; the food is definitely chinese, but much more interesting mixes of flavors than in a typical chinese place. and no cornstarchy glop. best choices we made were the duck spring rolls with foie gras and the pepper beefSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great recommendation froom a localKrisDined on 9/3/2014Food was fantastic. I wanted a light supper so on the waiter's advice chose from the Dim Sum section - and it was hard to choose. Quite a step above from any Dim Sum even in San Francisco's Chinatown. Peking Duck dumplings and crab & shrimp spring rolls, followed by their chocolate gateau dessert. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu, and very attentive and friendly without being intrusive. Noise level on a Wednesday night was high - I was solo but it might be hard to hear conversations in a group (I could hear the couple's conversation at the next table, though). I will definitely return on my next trip to Philadelphia.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014The food is excellent. Everytime I take friends and family, they love it too.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!Smaile126Dined on 9/2/2014I've been to Buddakan a few times before but this time took the cake. We had a large group (9) and really went to town. I am a huge fan of the Wasabi Filet and usually go for that since it's always great. The monk fish was amazing, tempura crab was to die for and the calamari salad was amazing! Always a great meal and will definitely be back!Special Features: