Buddakan - Philadelphia
325 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Buddakan - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buddakan.com/
- Phone: 2155749440x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Jason Goodman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Buddakan is the perfect venue for corporate or social events. Whether you want to take over the entire facility, overlook the action or be in the midst of it, there are many options for groups to experience Philadelphia’s most highly sought after dining destination.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Farina 2672383650x
A word from Buddakan - Philadelphia
Stephen Starr’s Buddakan is a spectacular restaurant featuring exotic flavors of modern Asian cuisine with creativity and drama. Bon Appetit notes, "The mostly white space is striking, with a lit-from-within communal table in the middle of the room, a waterfall & a ten-foot, candle-bedecked Buddha. The religious icon watches over hip customers indulging in pan-Asian cuisine that far surpasses the fare usually found at hot spots like this." Newsweek reports, "Design also serves as a signifier for cuisine. You walk into Buddakan, one of the hottest new restaurants in Philadelphia, past a shimmering waterfall & Japanese river stones & you say to yourself, 'ginger-miso everything' even before you see the magnificent 10-foot Buddha dominating the dining room." Named one of “America's Top 50 Restaurants" by Travel & Leisure and 'Top Restaurant for Fun' by Gourmet, Buddakan has become one of the country's most talked about restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Buddakan - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Buddakan - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
567 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (389)fit for foodies (337)hot spot (252)good for groups (233)romantic (225)neighborhood gem (110)vibrant bar scene (96)great for lunch (87)late-night find (65)notable wine list (55)scenic view (22)kid-friendly (17)great for brunch (11)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Excellent dinner experienceluvphillyDined on 9/19/2014My husband and I had an overall great dining experience. The food and service was exceptional. Our server was very attentive. The only con I would have is that it was loud. It was difficult to have a conversation due to the noise level. I guess you can say that is a good thing because that meant the restaurant was packed with happy diners!Special Features:
- AmazingMsFoodieDined on 9/19/2014I absolutely loved it. The service was amazing and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still tasty after all these yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014This fall I am dedicating myself to getting back to the restaurants that I have loved in the past. It's time to realize we don't have as many NEW options, so what better way to talk myself back into Buddakan. Afraid that it would have slipped in the 4 years or so since I've been there, I was incredibly impressed at how tasty everything still is there! The wait staff and hostesses were incredibly sweet and friendly--something I didn't really think 4 yrs ago. The food was out of control tasty. The drinks were great, and although crowded, we never felt rushed. IF you have not dined here recently, it's worth the return trip. If you have never been to Buddakan, well, make some friends and get to this awesome place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayNice2dineDined on 9/19/2014The dining experience was great however the food wasn't so good. & it usually is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekjennDined on 9/19/2014The restaurant week scene here is quite amazing. They had some amazing edamame dumplings and yellowtail sashimi. The sea bass melted in my mouth! And the dip sum doughnuts were an excellent way to end the meal. We also had the chance to try some entrees off the restaurant menu--pad thai and the five spice duck breast. Both were exquisite. And the servers were absolutely attentive to make sure we had everything we needed. The only thing that I'd have to say is that everything came out a little too salty for my taste buds. The other people in my party however didn't seem to think so.Special Features:
- Amazing as alwaysSarah21Dined on 9/19/2014This is the second time here. Our server was attentive and very kind and patient. The food was delicious and decent portions depending on the dish. Nothing I ate was less than perfect. I suggest going whether with a group of friends or your significant other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Edamame DumplingscuddlykoalaDined on 9/19/2014Buddakan is a great place to eat and everyone should try their Edamame dumplings at least once in their lives. They are THAT good!!!! The ambience is great...who doesn't love a giant Buddha.Special Features:
- Can't wait to return!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014We want for restaurant week on lunch. I wanted to go for Dinner, as the menu has more variety during that time. However, they were booked for evenings due to it being the last day of restaurant week. Nevertheless, I did get a chance to look at previous reviews and pics along with menu impatiens that certainly made me anxious to return. Only negative experience about it was our server. He was very attentive to a large party he had and paid our party of 2 minimum attention. Evenstill the ladies that walked the floor during our experience were attentive when he was no where to be found. The food is amazing and so is the ambiance of the restaurant. Great variety, satisfactory portions, yummy dessert. This is going to be one of my new favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow to seat us, but still greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Our reservation was for 9:45, but we didn't get seated until 10:00. We were also upstairs, which has a much more mellow vibe compared to downstairs. With that said, the food and service were great.Special Features:
- I enjoyed Buddakan.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I enjoyed Buddakan. It was a fun night. The food and wine selection was great. My only complaint is how loud it was. I like energy, but I also like to be able to have a conversation. It was very tough to hear in there.Special Features:
- First and Last TimeSweetlyDelDined on 9/18/2014The appetizers were phenomenal. The main course was just ok. I had wanted to be knocked off my feet but wasn't. I've had better teriyaki salmon at other restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonder....?!?!?!RedozgrammyDined on 9/18/2014Thought food was fantastic, noise level picked up as dining room crowd increased. My problem was the constant wiping of the three places at the table with wet and dry cloths--- it made me feel like I was at a diner I really wonder if that was necessary-- I'm not a slob! I felt rather insulted and that's bad at those prices!!! I would debate going back-- and I really loved the donuts!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealBrittDined on 9/18/2014Another amazing meal from buddakon. Never disappoints. Restarant week was an added bonus to try new things at a cheaper price! Definitely one of my favorite philly restarants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Restaurant week specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/17/2014The food was fabulous and the staff was attentive but the wait for a table even with a reservation was a little crazy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Went for Center City Restaurant Week, and it was my third time there. We were sat right away (with reservation) and greeted by server. Food was great and portions were normal. The Dim Sum Doughnuts are a must! Valet took a little longer than expected at the end of the night, but it wasn't too long. Will definitely go back for special occasions.Special Features:
- Ok...Slr92Dined on 9/17/2014Usually when I visit the food is really amazing, however this time it seemed to be on the salty side. Other than that the ambiance was nice and the waitstaff was very nice as well.Special Features:
- ThinkingfunDined on 9/17/2014It's great every time! The menu is full of wonderful items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014We went for our company team lunch and had a great time!! Party of 9 and the waitress was fantastic and very attentive to all of us. Made sure all special requests were met. Everyone had THE BEST time and gave rave reviews. Made me look good for planning lunch there so thanks!Special Features:
- Never Disappointed!meghicksDined on 9/16/2014This has to be the most incredible food I've ever eaten. We went for restaurant week earlier this year & we decided to do Buddakan again this year instead of somewhere else because it was just so good. I will definitely be going here again & again. The waitstaff is incredible & really attentive, the food comes out at a very good pace, the drinks are amazing & the food is beyond delicious. Hands down, favorite restaurant in Philly! Don't leave here without the Dip Sum Doughnuts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudyDined on 9/16/2014Food was good. Restaurant was high energy and noise level was very high so the fact that they also had loud music playing made it a bit difficult to carry on a conversation. But, a good dining experience just the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014Went for restaurant week - it was packed but we didn't have to wait long at all for our food. Service was also excellent.Special Features:
- GreatBVaughanDined on 9/15/2014I'll admit, I that guy who doesn't understand why you'd spend an obscene amount of money on food where there are so many inexpensive options out there (the local Chinese resturant being one of them) but this place is worth the price and the hype. Two words: Chilean Seabass [drops mic and walks off stage].Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tuittifruitti228Dined on 9/15/2014Everything was great until I arrived home and my half of the salmon I ordered was missing. I guess the person who cleared the table threw it away. I was very upset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week 2014RWvetDined on 9/15/2014Went here for RW 2014 and was super delicious! Definitely get dumplings as well as the singapore noodles--DELICIOUS! Also loved the donut dumplings they had for dessert!Special Features:
- Exceptional CuisinephillygirlDined on 9/15/2014Buddakan is always a great choice for a fancy night out. The food is exceptionally interesting and well-prepared. The hamachi appetizer and sea bass entree were to die for. It is open on Mondays, unlike many other Philly restaurants. The downside is the noise level. It was impossible to carry on any conversation given the techno music in the background and the din from chatter and clatter in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great night!FoodieCarolDined on 9/15/2014Loved the experience. The food was outstanding! My guests had not been before and were happy with my choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningnotaconnoisseurDined on 9/15/2014"Buddakan, Buddakan, Buddakan" People have been yelling at me to try Buddakan. I was not disappointed. For restaurant week, they offered three courses. I ordered the edamame dumplings, Chilean seabass, and coconut mousse. Everything was delicious, especially the edamame dumplings! The portions were perfect. I left feeling very content. The atmosphere was very romantic - dimmed lighting and the cozy structure and layout of each individual table/booth. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerskprizzDined on 9/15/2014We tried Buddakan for Restaurant Week. We were always interested in trying it but we don't live in the city. This was the perfect opportunity. I had the Edamame dumplings, the Chilean Sea bass, and the Dim Sum dumplings for dessert. Everything was delicious, but I was blown away by the Edamame dumplings. The waiter said they were a popular item at the restaurant and I can see why. I don't know what was in the filling along with the edamame but it was unbelievable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Service was a little slow; I feared we had been forgotten at one point. But once we put out order in, the food arrived amazingly fast and was fantastic. I had the edamame dumplings, Cantanese spring rolls, and tuna tataki. It was all very delicious and well presented. I also had the crying chocolate dessert which was mouth-wateringly good. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good overallCasitaDined on 9/14/2014Food was excellent (restaurant week menu)and the portions very reasonable. Chilean seabass perfectly cooked. The noise level make it REALLY hard to keep a conversation going at a table for 4. The waiter took the drink order for one person and left. We asked him for drink rec and he said " I could tell you once you know what are your choices for the menu" but returned later and only wanted to hear the drinks orders. I chose a cocktail with cilantro and lime that was deliciuos. We felt rushed out of there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Again!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/14/2014We go for restaurant week every time we can get a reservation. It's a great restaurant for us to have a treat.Special Features:
- Loved the Restaurant Week menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Our server recommended a few things off the menu since it was our first time at Buddakan and we loved every single dish! The edamame dumplings and the Chilean sea bass were delicious. The brownie+Vietnamese coffee ice cream were amazing as well.Special Features:
- AgnesDined on 9/13/2014My only criticism is the small portion size for the price of each dish.Special Features:
- bad quality yet pricyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014very bad service and bad atmosphere chef needs more training, price is excessively high. needs to bring this to top management attention, you don't expect to make million dollars yet be cheap on quality
- Amazing 1st timeLuvsGoodFoodDined on 9/12/2014After hearing wonderful things about Buddakhan for many years I finally made it. I honestly have to say that it far surpassed my expectation. The food was phenomenal, the service was excellent and the decor was beautiful. I will definitely be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buddakan for restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/20149/12/2014, dinner party of 4 for restaurant week. Overall, a fun atmosphere, but I would not return for the food. In order of favorite to least favorite, these are the dishes we sampled: edamame dumplings (very creamy, appropriate amount of truffle oil, good portion size), yellowtail hamachi (not particularly memorable, the sauce overpowered the taste of the fish), chilean sea bass (I realize this is one of the most popular dishes, however, be prepared for an overwhelming amount of sugar and oil--in other words, no discernible fish taste whatsoever) and short rib chow fun (this should not be advertised as containing short rib, as it was difficult to find any trace of meat). I can see returning for a cocktail, but that's about it.Special Features:
- Beyond Thee BeyondwarewithallDined on 9/12/2014Leading up to coming we had a small hiccup and the reservation crew at the restaurant helped out with many communications making a real effort to make sure our small group would be accommodated. And it was. Now listen! The food is absolutely delicious. The staff is as friendly as you are ever going to find. It can be a complicated overwhelming menu with so many great items to choose from but they help you through it and before you know it you are eating fabulous food served in a very friendly and easy manner......not an easy task. A bit noisy and loud but hey! Celebrate it.Special Features:
- Awesome!!!FoodieDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I just move here from CA. We are looking for a couple of places to replace our favorite restaurants from CA. Buddakan is definitely one of the places we will revisit. We tried this place during restaurant week and it did not disappoint. I had the Chilean sea bass and my wife had the short ribs. Both dishes were outstanding!!! You have to try the doughnuts for dessert; the spring rolls and dumplings were great as well. Bottom line I don't think you can go wrong visiting this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as alwaysPhillyFoodie14Dined on 9/12/2014My favorite restaurant in the city still. The pork was amazing. Edamame pierogies are simply to die for.Special Features:
- Restaurant week 2014VlaskowskiDined on 9/12/2014Great food - amazing dessert. Only complaint was the table we got sat at was in a corner right next to the kitchen. It wasn't a very spacious place and I hated it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.