Buddakan - Philadelphia
325 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Buddakan - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buddakan.com/
- Phone: 2155749440x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Jason Goodman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Buddakan is the perfect venue for corporate or social events. Whether you want to take over the entire facility, overlook the action or be in the midst of it, there are many options for groups to experience Philadelphia’s most highly sought after dining destination.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Farina 2672383650x
A word from Buddakan - Philadelphia
Stephen Starr’s Buddakan is a spectacular restaurant featuring exotic flavors of modern Asian cuisine with creativity and drama. Bon Appetit notes, "The mostly white space is striking, with a lit-from-within communal table in the middle of the room, a waterfall & a ten-foot, candle-bedecked Buddha. The religious icon watches over hip customers indulging in pan-Asian cuisine that far surpasses the fare usually found at hot spots like this." Newsweek reports, "Design also serves as a signifier for cuisine. You walk into Buddakan, one of the hottest new restaurants in Philadelphia, past a shimmering waterfall & Japanese river stones & you say to yourself, 'ginger-miso everything' even before you see the magnificent 10-foot Buddha dominating the dining room." Named one of “America's Top 50 Restaurants" by Travel & Leisure and 'Top Restaurant for Fun' by Gourmet, Buddakan has become one of the country's most talked about restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Buddakan - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Buddakan - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
475 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (335)fit for foodies (247)hot spot (190)romantic (185)good for groups (173)neighborhood gem (85)vibrant bar scene (77)great for lunch (64)late-night find (56)notable wine list (39)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (14)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Fabulous experienceWantgodfoodDined on 8/27/2014We visited Buddakan Wednesday evening before seeing The Book of Mormon and to celebrate our daughter's birthday. We had never been before but will definitely be back. The restaurant is lovely the food was spectacular and our waiter, Mark(c?) could not have made our evening any better. He was informative, very personable and a total pleasure. What a terrific evening.Special Features:
- Over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The food was tasty, but definitely not worth the prices. We were also sat upstairs, which has less ambiance. I will not go back.Special Features:
- Perfect all the way around!!Luv2eatDined on 8/24/2014It was another PERFECT night dining at Buddakan!! Thank you!!Special Features:
- Buddakon ExceedsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014After reading many reviews, I feared that we might be disappointed as our expectations were so high. Not so...the food was outstanding with a richness of flavor not often found in Asian food. Will not go on about the edamame dumplings other than to say, order them! Lobster and crab dumplings were also outstanding. Pad thai was terrific but the real surprise was the curried eggplant side dish which I ordered as an afterthought and wowed all of us. I must also mention the service which was seamless and impeccable! All of this combined with the sleek, stylish decor made for a memorable evening. A must go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUSnancyDined on 8/23/2014As always, Buddekan did not disappoint. We took friends from out of town and they LOVED it. Waiter said take your time, the table is yours for the nite--don't rush. He told us approximately how many appetizers and entrees we needed and said have fun. We did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingDookefanDined on 8/23/2014The food was outstanding. The staff was phenomenal as they knew all about the wines and food. Great timeSpecial Features:
- Consistently ExellentcpathendVIPDined on 8/23/2014We recievd great service and had a great food great experienceSpecial Features:
- Very Good, excellent serviceDiamondGirlDined on 8/22/2014Arrived one hour early for reservation on a busy Friday evening and was seated in 20 minutes. Great service at the bar...loved the red dragon cocktail! The bartender even provided reading glasses for my husband who left them in the car..:)Attentive service throughout the evening, food arrived as described. Noise level high but we were fortunate to be seated in a private alcove upstairs so conversation was easy. Pricey but not unexpected. Worth a trip to the city for a special occasion dinner or a stop for a drink while exploring Old City.Special Features:
- Good nightCameronVIPDined on 8/22/2014Met some friends and had a nice meal. I am a fan of Starr restaurants but would prefer a larger meal for the price. Entree was smaller than anticipated. Service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodRuthinAZDined on 8/21/2014We moved from Philly 2 years ago. When we landed from AZ, we went straight here as I've missed the Calamari Salad. It didn't disappoint! The dumplings and the lobster fried rice were also wonderful. We shared 2 chocolate desserts that were absolutely yummy. Our server was very attentive and another waiter came over to assist and since it was a birthday, he made a special effort to wish us well. I look forward to my next trip East for a return visit to Buddakan.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner out in the citykarenaDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I went to Buddakan for a night out in the city. The food was wonderful, the waiter we had was one of the best I can remember in a long time. He was very attentive and gave excellent suggestions and recommendations for different dishes to try. I want to visit again with a group of friends, loved it!Special Features:
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Picked this spot for a first date. I was able to make a reservation for 2 one day prior with no issues whatsoever. Great Asian fushion drink/entree menu that is appropriately priced. We had a few cocktails, appetizer, 2 entree items, and a desert which totaled to approximately $110 (before tip). It was a little loud but not unbearable; it just encouraged us to get closer. I would recommend this venue to small groups.Special Features:
- Hoping for betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Great service, nice ambience. However, food was bland, especially disappointed since it's pretty pricey. Had the lobster fried rice and the Chilean bass. Dessert was however, delicious. Coconut mousse.Special Features:
- Excellent service, excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014Waitress was perfect and Caleb made sure out experience was perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service was sparseFredDined on 8/14/2014I really liked the menu selection and enjoyed the food I ordered. Perhaps the server had too many tables but we had to wait way too long for drink refills and our final bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable Hostess ExperienceRJS123VIPDined on 8/13/2014Buddakan is hands down my favorite restaurant in Philadelphia. Therefore, when I had to entertain some VIPs for work, I didn't hesitate. We were a party of 5 and 4 of us arrived timely but 1 person in the party was stuck in traffic. We told the hostess that we would wait in the bar. She said that was fine. Our 5th arrived 1/2 hour late and the hostess came over shortly after to seat us(she checked on us 1 time). When she came over, she said that since there was another party coming in after us, we will only have 1 3/4 hrs to eat. This has never happened to me. I was embarrassed and appalled! So although the food was fabulous and our waitress was top notch - I can't imagine that situation was handled as such. It saddens me greatly!Special Features:
- AnchorDined on 8/13/2014Food fair, family style confusing. Some plates were not enough for everyone to get adequate tasting.Special Features:
- OverratedFoodjunkieDined on 8/11/2014The ambiance was great. However, the food was very disappointing for the price. The king crab tempra was tasteful but our dinner entrées which were: shirmp tai, which was lacking flavor & the peanuts threw it off & the crab sticky rice which had a burnt (not smokey) taste to it. I would NOT recommend unless a person is looking for a place with modern chic decor. However, I will recommend the POD for all the features just less expensive prices.Special Features:
- PALFDined on 8/11/2014Always a great choice.Daytime Parking is not easy but not too far away unless you can find a place on the street.Special Features:
- hostess was a downerfoodieonvacaVIPDined on 8/9/2014Made reservations and expected a table in the dining room. We were seated in the lounge area at a small bar table right next to traffic. Why bother making a reservation? We were moved to a better table. I guess the hostess didn't think we were 'hip-worthy'...A note: food was great, but you certainly won't leave over full.....
- not impressedGoodEnoughOU812Dined on 8/9/2014presentation of food was good, taste was as expected. $180 for four people and we didn't get drinks. Pretty underwhelming, didn't think infants would be allowed on a saturday evening--we thought there was a dress code, but shorts t-shirts and backpacks were omnipitous. Staff was pleasant, we made reservations (early dinner--515-700pm)--didn't need them, honestly expected more. Korean Beef very good, dim sum, not so much. Kobe beef appetizer, tasty but wouldn't order again. No where near what my first experience was, which is why we went again--probably won't go back though.Special Features:
- Great food, so-so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014We had an early reservation prior to a show in Philly. Food was excellent. Was slightly over-priced. Biggest issue was slow/unattentive service. For a place like this, I had to ask 2-3 times to a manager to find our waitress - who just vanished. Of note, at 5:45, the restaurant was not really crowded.....had no clue where she disappeared to.Special Features:
- How disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014we had not been there for about 4 years and thought the food was great, delicious and exquisitely prepared then. This time we thought they called china town for take-out and served it for 3 times the price to us. The only difference was it didn't come on a paper plate. Terrible and will NOT go back
- Long Time Philly HitGoodMealsDined on 8/6/2014I have been a fan of Buddakan for years....and it hasn't lost a thing. The Sea Bass and Scallops were outstanding as was the King Crab Tempura. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys good food. The service was great....me and my girlfriend enjoyed a great night...Thanks Again!!!Special Features:
- DocBDined on 8/4/2014It was one of the best meals I've ever had and I eat out a lot. We had the angry lobster and the lamp chops. Great!! The appetizers were equally great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchCelebratorVIPDined on 8/4/2014We love having lunch at Buddakan. In fact, we love having dinner at Buddakan as well. The food is delicious, creative, plentiful and attractive. What more could one want?Special Features:
- I always enjoy the food here!SYJBDined on 8/3/2014From the time I valet parked I am always greeted with a smile. Once entering the restaurant we were early but was seated right away of what was requested when I made the reservation. I ordered the pan seared sea bass and it was absolutely delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceToeknailDined on 8/3/2014This was my first time at any Buddakan restaurant. I thought it was very nice. The food was very good (I had the wasabi encrusted filet which was excellent) and our server really knew his stuff. It was very very dark throughout the restaurant. I understand that they are setting a mood, but it was a little too dark, particularly for the walk to the restrooms. My wife has also been to the Buddakan restaurants in Atlantic City and NYC. She thought this location was nice, but not quite as nicely designed as the others. She was disappointed that the edamame ravioli that used to be on the menu was replace with edamame dumplings. The dumplings were good but she thought the ravioli was better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much sugarSonnyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Buddakan used to be great. I remember eating here years ago and the drinks and food were excellent. Times have changed. First off the cocktails we had (served up) were too sweet, did not have enough liqour and the glasses weren't topped off. We had a number of appetizers, some dim sum and shared an entree. Of the dishes, the duck buns were good and the sea bass was good. However, for the price you can get way better food in Chinatown for 2/3 less. Actually, if you want Asian fusion, Sampan has similar food that is better, cheaper and their drinks are better. Sampan has better service too. I expect more from a Starr restaurant (like the still excellent Butcher or Continental). This is a Starr resto, right?Special Features:
- great foodGreatfoodDined on 8/2/2014consistantly great food and service. Been here so many times and never disappointed.Special Features:
- GoodJenuhGDined on 8/2/2014Here for hubby's birthday. Drinks were just ok. Had better had worse. Little over priced but your also paying for the ambiance. Cantonese rolls and wasabi glazed beef were amazing! The beef melts in your mouth. Doughnuts were larger then we remember but still good. Loved the raspberry dip for it. Server was nice and service went quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice eveningLindaDined on 8/2/2014Nice evening, however, not as I had hoped. We were shocked by another noisy disruptive table during our evening. We were there to celebrate our engagement and the service felt hurried. The waiter, knowing that we were sharing some appetizers did not offer the additional piece of food on the plate (as a previous waiter did) so we shared the odd number. The dessert was brought with a sparkler with Happy Anniversary written on the plate. Not much attention to our special details. But we may come again only because the food is wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambiance great, food not so muchAllisonDined on 8/1/2014Very neat restaurant that is great for groups and/or special occasions, but the food is nothing special. I ordered lamb and I had to send it back because half of it was fat that I could not eat. However, the manager was extremely accommodating and took the lamb off the bill. She sent me home with a new order of the cashew chicken which was fabulous. Had fun with a few of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion.SweetandsoueDined on 8/1/2014We went there for my boyfriends birthday. It was not our first time there and we both loved the spot. I know it is a busy place. However I was disappointed because when making reservation I wrote that were celebrating a birthday and to bring out champagne when we get seated. Did not see that champagne at all that night. Disappointed that the request got overlooked. Food and service otherwise was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bass excellentVassarDined on 8/1/2014took someone else's advice on website sea bass was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night outDLdinerDined on 8/1/2014We started out with the dim sum sampler. Each was delicious. Next, we tried a Pepper beef dish. The meat was very tender, perfectly cooked, and the sauce was a wonderful blend of spicy and sweet. We also tried the 5 spices duck dinner. It was good and the sauce was good. We both thought it was served a little too rare, especially since we told her we did not want it rare. The side of coconut rice was delicious and worked well with both dishes. The place was beautiful. The prices were high but I would recommend for a special night. I would say the prices are a bit high but we did not walk away unhappy. The place is beautiful and the service was great. Based on the prices, I would consider this a good option for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Girls night outDonniDined on 7/31/2014Buddakan is a very upscale place. The staff is pleasant, the atmosphere is comfortable and the food is amazing... Not to mention the wine! Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome timeCmnaroundDined on 7/30/2014Fantastic food and great service - order lots of different stuff so you can share - pretty pricy so good for special celebrations but totally worth it for the good food and good times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made a special night even betteryoppDined on 7/29/2014Birthday dinner for my wife, we've been trying to get to this restaurant together for over 4 years. Well worth the wait and we arrived early to see the wait staff have a pre-service pow wow. Our server was amazing and the menu tells you to ask alot of questions for selections. She guided us on what to order and what we could share. The Lobster Fried Rice was wonderful and enough for two to share at $21 a bowl. Chucks and ribbons of lobster with saffron and thai basil-wow. We decided on the bento box for dessert-again six selections of thier best-and a birthday sparkler for another great touch.Special Features:
- Best Birthday Dinner Ever!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/28/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants and again it proved why. The service was phenomenal from the hostess all the through the servers who bought the food out. Scott our waiter was amazing. He has a perfect understanding for the food that is served and is happy to make recommendations that of course lived up to his every description. If you want good food for a special occasion or just because this is definitely the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.