Buddakan - Philadelphia
325 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
Buddakan - Philadelphia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buddakan.com/
- Phone: (215) 574-9440
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Jason Goodman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With delectable cuisine and stellar service, Stephen STARR Events brings the experiences of the wildly successful STARR Restaurants to the world of catering. “Re-inventing” the traditional event, Stephen STARR Events prepares unique chef-driven creations as well as signature selections from the restaurants with menus tailored to each client. For more information on full-service catering for small and large private, social and corporate functions, as well as, quick-service options, please contact Stephen STARR Events at (215) 923-2675.
- Private Party Facilities: Buddakan is the perfect venue for corporate or social events. Whether you want to take over the entire facility, overlook the action or be in the midst of it, there are many options for groups to experience Philadelphia’s most highly sought after dining destination.
- Private Party Contact: Diane Farina 2672383650x
A word from Buddakan - Philadelphia
Stephen Starr’s Buddakan is a spectacular restaurant featuring exotic flavors of modern Asian cuisine with creativity and drama. Bon Appetit notes, "The mostly white space is striking, with a lit-from-within communal table in the middle of the room, a waterfall & a ten-foot, candle-bedecked Buddha. The religious icon watches over hip customers indulging in pan-Asian cuisine that far surpasses the fare usually found at hot spots like this." Newsweek reports, "Design also serves as a signifier for cuisine. You walk into Buddakan, one of the hottest new restaurants in Philadelphia, past a shimmering waterfall & Japanese river stones & you say to yourself, 'ginger-miso everything' even before you see the magnificent 10-foot Buddha dominating the dining room." Named one of “America's Top 50 Restaurants" by Travel & Leisure and 'Top Restaurant for Fun' by Gourmet, Buddakan has become one of the country's most talked about restaurants.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Buddakan - Philadelphia - Best Restaurants in Old City ›
Buddakan - Philadelphia reviews from OpenTable diners
539 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (362)special occasion (354)hot spot (253)good for groups (232)romantic (201)vibrant bar scene (104)neighborhood gem (100)great for lunch (90)late-night find (54)notable wine list (50)scenic view (20)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (10)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Buddakan Birthday MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/25/2014Food was good...Service was average & they really need to make the place less dark...Could not read the menu without using the candle on the table. Overall 6/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven and RushedMagnoliaVIPDined on 11/24/2014Food was very good but not quite the exceptional experience that we expected. We had an earlish dinner reservation at 6:45 for two on a Monday and it wasn't too busy. It took us a while to review the menu and the waitress kept trying to see if we needed help. Two of the appetizers we selected had an uneven number of pieces and she kept offering to add another piece when we didn't mind splitting the portions for the two of us. Once we ordered, all 3 of our dinner appetizers came out at once, and another server kept trying to remove the plates before we had finished. At one point, my plate was cleared removing 1 of my 2 chopsticks. Our sea bass entree dish was good and nicely seasoned, but the fish was not the freshest. Dessert was very good. Background music was more of a vibrant beat that added to the "rushed" sense of the event. Not our favorite dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gluten-free menu!ChrisDined on 11/24/2014To all you celiac's peeps out there, Buddakan had a great gluten-free menu. The pad thai was wonderful! (The chocolate sorbet was too chocolately for me.) Bartender made me a delicious pineapple martini that wasn't on the menu and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth checking outNJShoreDined on 11/23/2014Overall dining at Buddakhan in Philadelphia was an enjoyable evening. Initially we were seated next to the bar but they moved us to a much better table with nice ambiance. The service is pretty good and the food is just above average with excellent presentation. The pepper steak entree is very tasty and tender and the second entree was boneless spare ribs which was very tender but way too much fat instead of meat. The highlight is seeing the big Buddha Statue and the prices are reasonable but nothing stands out as being exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of the best in PhiladelphiaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/21/2014Hadn't been to Buddakan in several years but the food was just as wonderful as I remember. Every dish we ordered was perfect from Dim Sum to dessert. The flavors were incredible and portions were ample. Our server was also wonderful. The decor and menu haven't changed over the years but you forget about that as soon as you take your first bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall good but some dishes not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Excellent service, friendly staff, food was pretty good. ...dumplings were great, pork belly was excessively fatty and mushy. We mentioned to staff and they agreed and offered to replace it bit inauspicious took if off the bill. They were very gracious about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinndrOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014All the food was amazing ESP the sea bass. Only thing that was not good was the green beans. But everything else was great! Great atmosphere for a special occasion and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old GemLanceRomanceDined on 11/14/2014Fun place to go in a good location. Atmosphere was pleasant. Seabass was wonderful. A happening place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!bbogryllsDined on 11/14/2014Food was top notch. would love to try the whole menu. The ambience was also tops. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exotic experiencescottDined on 11/14/2014Buddakan exhibits an ambience that takes you to a far away place, they make every effort to transport you to the far east and the food quality is exemplary. I ordered a special dish, skate wing, and it was served to an impeccable liking to filet mignon that falls apart in thin slices. We were out celebrating various achievements and got their banana soufflé type dish that was to die for. The beer and single malt scotch listings were excellent, and even our appetizer of dumplings was cooked to a tender texture. Overall gem of a place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding High-End Asian CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/13/2014Buddakan lived up to its apparently well-deserved reputation. Every dish was remarkable. We had the mixed dim sum platter, which included the astonishingly terrific edamame dumplings. We also had the Peking duck buns (fantastic), five-spice duck breast (fantastic), and pan-seared sea bass, which was ethereal. And the service was polite and attentive, all the wait staff appearing perfectly on cue, The place is elegant in every way. What more need be said?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars for our 5 month celebration!BoushDined on 11/12/2014We made a reservation through OpenTable and I mentioned in the comments section that the dinner was for our special occasion. I also mentioned that we would prefer seating in a more private and quiet area. We arrived a little early for our reservation and waited it out at the bar. The bartender was very friendly and knowledgable. At the time of our reservation, we were greeted by a hostess who carried our drink over to the table set right behind the waterfall wall by the front of the restaurant. I was worried about sound but it was not a problem at all. Our server was also extremely friendly and answered any question we had with expertise. This was nice since it was our first time dining at Buddakan. The food was delicious and we ordered way too much for the two of us. Though it was great to be able to get a little taste of everything. We had the much recommended edamame dumplings, general tsos dumplings, duck buns, beef fried rice, wasabe mashed potatoes, and the pad thai with chicken subbed in for the shrimp. I was a little disappointed with the taste of the general tsos dumplings but it was only because it was not the flavor I was used to from tradition take out restaurants. Same goes for the pad thai but there are plenty of other entrees to choose from next time. There will certainly be a next time! Due to our special occasion our server mentioned that they would do "something special" for dessert. I am not sure what that would normally entail at Buddakan because we had a show to catch. Our server gave my girlfriend a little carry out kit of chocolate which was a very nice gesture. The atmosphere was very romantic and we were able to hear each other's conversation easily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch was delicious and affordable!KManariDined on 11/11/2014My husband and I had a wonderful time at lunch! I was expecting things to be outrageously priced, but lunch was just right. Everything was cooked very well and while I didn't like it all (my personal preference) I would not hesitate to recommend it to a friend or go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!SushiLoverVIPDined on 11/10/2014It was everything I hoped it would be- I've been to the other two locations and actually think this one is the best! It's the original buddakan and maybe as a function of it not being too crowded, I really enjoyed myself here. It was spacious (the AC one is very cramped) and not too noisy, and the setup was simply beautiful.Special Features:
- Recommended destinationEatzgoodDined on 11/9/2014Much smaller than it NYC location, not as dramatic yet still beautiful. Food well prepared, nice presentation, Server was knowledgeable, recommendations were a hit, attentive.Special Features:
- great vibeangiemcDined on 11/8/2014I had high expectations, as I have been to Buddakhan NY recently. The food was just as good.Special Features:
- great nightwickeddreamDined on 11/8/2014Luckily I've been there a few times so I had an idea of what to expect. First time diners, I recommend the edamame dumplings, the lamb chops, and the wasabi mashed potatoes. TheSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed by food....CNowVIPDined on 11/7/2014Service was somewhat lacking.... Sat at a table upstairs which wasn't quite as lively as the downstairs section. Appetizers were fantastic, as was the Aged Beef. Lo Mein was good but a bit salty. Dessert donuts were out of this world - overall a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot ticket but food sufferingAlexsnoodDined on 11/7/2014Been to Buddakan several times in Philly and Atlantic City and it's still pretty good. Noise level is actually uncomfortable at times, and the diners screaming to their companions to be heard certainly doesn't help matters. Noticed some dishes I'd had before were not as well prepared (different texture on the Kung Pao Monkfish, Daily special Pork and Chestnut dumplings served luke-warm even after returning them once and getting a new order, etc). Otherwise, still a good concept professionally operated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu well worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/7/2014This was our first visit to Buddakan. There were so many selections we opted for the tasting menu. Excellent preparation of all the items. Monkfish was to die for. Plenty of food but since dishes are light and not greasy, you still can enjoy there phenomenal dessert selection. Wine list was extensive and reasonably priced for such a fancy placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lively spottravellerVIPDined on 11/7/2014Food and service were excellent, but noise a little high. Hard to have a conversation. Otherwise, great!Special Features:
- Amazing!CraftsteakRocksDined on 11/6/2014If you are in Philadelphia you must eat here. The edamame dumplings and the sea bass are a must.Special Features:
- BuddakanNoWWtodayDined on 11/6/2014This restaurant remains one of my favorites. There's a coat check at the door. The food was amazing. What pleasantly surprised me was the affordability of the lunch menu. I ordered the standard bento box for only $15. Also surprising was the speed of service. We were in and out in just over an hour, which is miraculous for Center City lunch rush, especially considering the quality of the food. My companion had three special requests: two items to add to her salad, and a swap of her beverage choice, and the waitstaff were very accommodating. I would definitely return for lunch, and budget allowing, dinner!Special Features:
- Consistently great service and foodCarolineInTheCityDined on 11/3/2014I've been going to Buddakan for the last 15 years and any time I go the service is impeccable. The food is always delicious and presented as if it's taken from Food & Wine magazine. It's a great place to dine with friends when you have a lot of tiime (and money). We spent $300 for three of us, but it was well worth it! I highly recommend Buddakan as a place to enjoy excellent food, drinks and ambiance with friends or family.Special Features:
- First timers at BuddakanDatenight06Dined on 11/3/2014The restaurant was louder then my husband and I expected, and alot busier then I expected for a Monday night. But we soon found out why! The food was great and the service was great. This was our first visit. I took my husband to celebrate his birthday. The bill was kind of pricey but we left full and satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choicesolidDined on 11/1/2014fun vibe, eclectic menu done with high quality ingredients and creativity. excellent service, both at the bar and table side.Special Features:
- sat night mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Overall happy with experience but food was not hot, maybe luke warm at best..kind of disappointing for $180 meal for 2....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buddakan - PhiladelphiaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Food was outstanding, service was top notch. Excellent experience.
- Much better in New YorkFoodloverVIPDined on 10/31/2014Doesn't compare to Budakkan in New York in size, design or food. Very disappointing after being to New York restaurant. Food was extremely salty. Wouldn't recommend if you are in Philadelphia.
- Just "ok"WelovefoodDined on 10/31/2014My husband and I never been to Buddakan and were very excited. The ambiance and music were perfect, but the food wasn't all that great. The waiter failed to tell us that some dishes were shareable items and we ended up with too much food that we didn't even like. I really was disappointed. The dessert however, was amazing. We won't be returning to this restaurant.Special Features:
- BuddakanjeanDined on 10/26/20146 of us went for a special occasion Sun, 26 OCT. Right after the first entrée came out, we were dropped into oblivion- in the meantime ordering a total of 3 bottles of wine while we politely waited for food delivery to resume. The waiter avoided and never checked on us. Finally we called a manager. By the time we got our next mains, 35 mins had passed. The waiter came up with some lame excuse we didn't understand (something about ordering a custom-cooked steak???) and the manager flat out said the kitchen messed up. Inconsistent stories and services. To the manager's credit she credited us the entrees but only after a failed attempt to offer dessert. None the less, she tried to make good so I wont say a hard no to going back someday.Special Features:
- DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014EXCELLENT DINNER - CALAMARI SALAD WAS DELICIOUS AND RED SNAPPER WAS A GREAT PRESENTATION AND TASTED GOODTOO.Special Features:
- ExcellentPhillyguyDined on 10/26/2014Had a GRRREAT dining experience. Enjoyed the Chilean sea bass and red snapper. Will definitely like to dine here again. A true gem in Philadelphia.Special Features:
- Always Fantastic!ajbinusaDined on 10/26/2014For several years now, I have been celebrating my birthday with a dinner at the restaurant. Dumplings are always flavored well, scallops were delicious and Phad Thai was excellent. Service was great and chocolate bento box was a great surprise of variety.Special Features:
- DisappointinggjanDined on 10/25/2014I have been to Buddakan many times since its opening in Philadelphia. My last visit was so disappointing! Despite having reservations we were seated at a small bar table. People were standing over us while we ate, we could hear full conversations of people on either side, waitress's backside was in our face anytime she went to the other tables. The food has also really gone down hill. The calamari salad was so salty I couldn't eat it, the pad thai portion has shrunk w/ too much cilantro, and the crispy shrimp was just 5 regular size shrimp on a plate w/ a walnut and piece of pepper - so not worth the price. Then to top it off they took my favorite dessert off the menu - no chocolate banana tower. The desserts were mediocre at best.
- My favorite restaurant!!IluvfoodDined on 10/25/2014I love Buddakan my favorite things are the calamari salad and pan seared sea bass!! Both to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentClub619Dined on 10/24/2014Our favorite place to eat. Wasabi mashed potatoes are the best! And the best Cosmo and Martini's we've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a gem!SallyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Always accommodating; great food; great service; a fun atmosphere; we always enjoy dining here and so so about once a week! One of our favorites!Special Features:
- Another wonderful birthdaySurpriselunchDined on 10/23/2014I made the reservations without telling my wife. This has been one of our favorite restaurants for many years. We have never had anything less than a very good dinner. We take out of town friends, business associates and family here. Reservations were on time, they remembered her birthday and she was smiling all night. What else could I ask fit?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMarbananaDined on 10/22/2014The food was very good. Like the family style environment, allows to try several options. The overal ambiance is good, but it was loud and the constant, same beated music was very annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.