75 9th Ave
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buddakannyc.com/
- Phone: 212-989-2245x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Monday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
Thursday - Saturday 5:30pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Yang Huang & Brian Ray
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining with bar for 45 seated guests, 60 standing.
Private dining for 60 seated guests, 100 standing.
Exclusive private dining for 300 seated guests, 550 standing.
- Private Party Contact: Kimberly Cook (212) 989-4180x
A word from Buddakan NY
The surreal atmosphere of this awe-inspiring restaurant in the Meatpacking district of ManhattanContinued
combines the serenity of Asia with the flamboyance of 16th century Paris. The menu features fanciful interpretations of Chinese dishes and delights even the most discriminating palates.
combines the serenity of Asia with the flamboyance of 16th century Paris. The menu features fanciful interpretations of Chinese dishes and delights even the most discriminating palates.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Buddakan NY - Best Restaurants in Meatpacking District ›
Buddakan NY reviews from OpenTable diners
1140 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (674)special occasion (671)good for groups (601)fit for foodies (558)romantic (436)vibrant bar scene (389)late-night find (285)neighborhood gem (153)notable wine list (122)great for outdoor dining (65)scenic view (58)great for lunch (33)kid-friendly (24)great for brunch (21)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014I've been to Buddakan many times because I LOVE the food. Each experience has been pretty good. I have always had a good experience with the service at the table and the host/hostess that walks myself and my party to the table. The one problem is the selective attention of the front desk associates. It almost borders on rude. I come to the restaurant not for a popularity contest but to enjoy my time with my friends. I find their behavior offensive especially when I have a reservation. While I don't expect to be treated any differently than others, I do expect as a frequent diner with a reservation, who spends quite a bit of money there to be treated a whole lot better.Special Features:
- Loud but tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014We had a 10pm reservation. The bar was in full swing and the music so loud we could barely have a conversation. Noise was only slightly more subdued in the restaurant space. Food was wonderful, and both table and bar service were friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Dramatic decor, ok foodSeaCliffDinerDined on 10/21/2014After years of being told this was a "must go" restaurant, four of us finally made a date. The space is dramatic, massive and interesting, but so dark that I had to slowly pick my way along the hallways to be sure I didn't fall. Our waiter was very engaged and not shy about recommending specific dishes he deemed the best among the "most amazing menu with the best and most creative food ever." [Ok, this isn't an exact quote, but captures his extreme pride in the food. That pride was dead on for the charred filet of beef--this was one of the best things I've ever eaten. The rest of the food was good (exception: tasteless edamame dumplings), but none of it was exceptional or worthy of all of the praise we've heard for Buddakan.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/21/2014When I walked up to the front door, I had no idea just how large Buddakan would be. The space is huge. Great vibe, great ambiance, and delicious food. I went with two friends, and we shared quite a bit of food. The short ribs and king crab hot pot were amazing. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014It was lovely evening all round - very good food, service, atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2014Everything about Buddakan met my expectations for my special night out !! Excellent service from each and everyone, and impeccable food preparation! We were treated like VI P's, which is always a big plus for me ! The ambiance was exotic and exciting, as well!! From the delicious drinks to the presentation of our food selections, we were overjoyed! Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lack of good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We went to Buddakan for my sister's birthday and it was our first time to NYC so we wanted to dine at a special place (or so we thought).Food was ok, nothing special. Service was very inconsistent.The waiter mostly attended to me (maybe because I made the reservation) and the birthday girl. My two other sisters who sat at the same table did not even get eye contact from the waiter, they felt so insulted and are not the type to make a scene so they did not speak up. He did not look or talk to them, luckily I knew their order so I spoke up. I don't know if he even knew they were sitting there. I ended up giving little more than 18% tip as they prepared a nice dessert for the birthday girl, but will not dine there again.Special Features:
- Great for a Romantic Date NightAppleDined on 10/19/2014What a beautiful place, right from the door. The staff was great, very pleasant. The food was beautiful in presentation and taste. Lobster egg rolls were my favorite and the black bass was really good. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the place but.....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014My second time there from out of town. The only reason I can't give 4 stars was the very close table of 5 next to us literally took pictures of every dish to the point I was covering my eyes from the flash. So obnoxious and no idea they are blinding me throughout dinner. Really awesome food & drinks but ambiance ruined by other diners.Special Features:
- Must do/see/eat when in new yorkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Had diner at buddakan with my sisters last year and now visited the city with my husband and i deffinitly wanted to have diner here again. The ambiance, the food, the service...it was all great! Love the food love the place love the great service! Next time i visit NY i deffinitly make reservations again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSgnewtonDined on 10/19/2014The service and good was outstanding. The management staff here is terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!Btrip10Dined on 10/19/2014From the lounge to the food, our experience at Buddakan was amazing. The cocktails are so good and they have a great wine list. The ambiance was so nice, not too loud but not boring either. Now, the food.... Start with the Bo Bo platter! A sampler of a few different apps. The whole peking duck was one of the best I've had. The singapore noodles have crispy pork belly chunks that are to die for. We also ordered a side of the green beans. AMAZING! They were mixed with ground beef and I think crystalized ginger. This was the best meal I've had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a celebration of 120 good years!kelgalDined on 10/19/2014On the basis of 4 separate word of mouth recommendations, we booked 1 month ahead and had a wow of a time! It was our last night in new york and to spend that with 3 women celebrating their 40th birthdays was just great fun. The tasting plate @ $80 each was really delicious and varied and plenty of food for 5. The special happy birthday touch for desert was an excellent ending. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buddakan You Rock! Thx Mr. VaughanJCruVIPDined on 10/18/2014I've been dining to very high end restaurants like Per Se , Daniel, Masa, TAO uptown/Downtown, Del Posto, and BUDDAKAN. I like them all. But tonight BUDDAKAN exceeded my expectation. GREAT SERVICE. I meant accomodating my request to be seated in the main dining room. The table all to myself. It's great since I always want privacy when dining. Food was great. My special THANKS to Mr. Andy Vaughan for an Excellent Customer Service! Til Next time! JYanogacioCruzI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent NightJoseArg2Dined on 10/18/2014The service forgot our table, so we were all night without water and wine. Plus that after that I asked for a drink from the bar and they forgot again. Besides of that this is one of my favorites places to go here in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great night !Michnyc123Dined on 10/18/2014It was my second time dining here, and will not be my last. Definetly one of my favourite restaurants in New York city. The food is fantastic. The decor is stunning. Great service and very cool atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe!Wow42Dined on 10/18/2014Food was good! Nice place to hang out... Too bad the hostess was clueless and took us around the Restaurant till we got to our table...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bad experienceThomasDined on 10/18/2014Travel from Europe to NYC, second time i visit Buddakan. First time i wait 1 1/2 ours for a tabel, this time i try Buddakan again after few years. Booked a table, and wait now 45 min for my table. Chef apologize me and ofer me a drink at my table, never saw him back.... I never will visit this sort off trendy place againSpecial Features:
- More than I expected!Live2eatVIPDined on 10/18/2014I was concerned this would be a tourist spot where the clientele turns over and the food does not have to be consistent. Fortunately, I was so wrong. The bar was lively and each dining room had its own ambiance. At first glance, the menu looked like a typical Asian menu. Then the waiter took us through it and recommended how we order. Boy, we were not disappointed! Each course was just as delicious as the previous! If you are a local or a tourist, this must be on your dining list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just an OK experienceCasagrandeDined on 10/18/2014We were very excited to eat at Buddakan, but we were quite disappointed with the mediocre food, with the exception of the desserts. Green beans were not hot and were barely cooked, we sent them back and they came out the same way on the second go around. All in all we were disappointed with the much anticipated experience. I would not recommend this restaurant to my friends.Special Features:
- Buddakan never disappointsJeMoDined on 10/18/2014We had a wonderful meal once again at Buddakan this past weekend. The edamame dumplings were out of this world! Yummy drinks...great spot for girl's night out or a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014Buddakan NYC is quite possibly the most beautiful restaurant I've ever been to. I was left breathless as we were lead down to the main dining room, with the high ceilings and beautiful chandeliers. Fortunately, the food fit the ambiance. Everything we had was delicious. Our server was also fantastic. He was delightfully friendly and provided great recommendations. He also regularly checked up on us, refilled water, etc. The only part that could be improved are the "reservationists" at the front desk. When I returned the voicemail they left me to confirm my reservation, I had to wait nearly 10 minutes for a "reservationist" - just to confirm a reservation! Then once at the restaurant, I found the front desk staff to be a little cold/aloof.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SorryNorwegianDined on 10/17/2014Was looking forward for a interesting meal with a lot of diferent tastes, but they did not sell 7-dish or similar to other than groups. Ended up with a terrible chicken..Special Features:
- Assault on the sensesLuvmyfoodDined on 10/17/2014I had booked a late table for 9.45 but I didn't get seated for another 20mins. Your asked to walk into the 'lounge' area take a seat and someone will come and collect you. You walk upstairs into what feels like a nightclub, music really pounding and you stand with another 20 people also waiting to be seated being knocked and pushed around as you are in a doorway. The hostess/ waitress offered you a drink, so the three of us get cocktails. Which is bit precarious as there is no surface to put your drink down. Especially when your then asked to close the tab before you're seated. If there is large crowd and it's a pre party dinner it's fine. But don't go if you want to have a conversation. Food is good, no veggie main meals.Special Features:
- Great asian food in a cool placeabcdDined on 10/17/2014Great asian food in a very cool place. Very busy, but still the service was very good. Will love to go back!Special Features:
- great food.DipwifeDined on 10/17/2014Great restaurant serving contemporary chinese. Most dishes are family style, but ask specifically how many pieces are in each appetizer, as my party of 5 we were told each appetizer could accomodate us and were.disappointed.when 2.dishes arrived with only 4 pieces and.told after the fact that they 'can't be done for 5'. Apart from that, Great overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!NYCBasicsVIPDined on 10/17/2014The staff were friendly and the food was delicious. The servers were extremely knowledgeable on the food and were able to assist in pointing out meals that were vegetarian or what could be made vegetarian. The wine list was very impressive and the cocktails were made with precision. Not to mention that we thought we left our card behind so we rang the restaurant, the next day they rang to say they hadn't found it... It's the little things that make you truly appreciate good customer service. Loved it! I'll be back.Special Features:
- My dinner with my best friendEllanaSDined on 10/17/2014This was my third visit to Buddakan. I was not disappointed . I knew the menu and went for what I knew is going to be delicious . I am probably repeating myself , but the suggestion for the waiter to share the dishes( family style) should be taken off the " menu". The portions are not large enough to share ... Sorry.. Just pick what you like and enjoy it ! Definitely save space for desert! One of those days I will come back and only order deserts ! Yummy! The waiter was very nice , and since it was my birthday , I got a little candle to blow out :) Very sweet . Will come back ... DefinitelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodwhoneedsanameDined on 10/15/2014Service was slow - particularly at the bar. Service in the restaurant was okay. However, the noise level was high and could barely hear the rest of the table speak.Special Features:
- Howling good!TastemanDined on 10/15/2014It'a amazing that after 8 years this large restaurant can turn out spectacular dishes without a disappointment. However our last visit was marred by a sound level that was headache-inducing and which made conversation all but impossible. Also, service which is usually spot-on was below par. We had to ask for a wine list three separate times and began the first two dishes accompanied by only water. Also although arriving within minutes of our reservation time we had to wait at the crowded bar for at least 20 minutes before being seated. Nevertheless the food makes this a special place....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick757Dined on 10/15/2014Again a great experience! We love this place. Interesting Asian cooking - to share - try the whole Peking duck! Or the chilli rock shrimps or the boneless spare rips or the charcoaled beef or.......... The best place is the banquet tableSpecial Features:
- Great ExperienceSilaNillaDined on 10/15/2014We had many great experience at the Buddakan in Atlantic City and decided to check out the one in NYC. We were greeted right away, waited for a few minutes at the lounge while they get our table ready. The space and layout of the restaurant is great. Can't believe I'm drawing a blank on our waitress's name, she was fantastic. She answered all of our questions the best possible way and great recommendations. The food was amazing and better than expected. I'm sure everything is great there, here's what we had. Drinks - Elevation, Charm Starters - Tuna tartare spring roll, Hoisin Pork Belly Entrees - Mongolian Lamb Chops, Kung Pao Monkfish Sides - Chilled Udon Noodles Desserts - Almond Bread Pudding, Chocolate Fondant Go! Have a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014I highly recommend this restaurant. Service was good and food was fantastic. The ambiance was outstanding and different from anything I have ever experienced.Special Features:
- Great nightout in NYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014A great night at Buddakhan with friends, food was amazing! Fantastic atmosphere, the staff were attentive without being obtrusive, will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014I had my birthday dinner and was not disappointed! Everything about the venue was on point! Truly a night to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our top ten meals all timeOmahaFoodieDined on 10/14/2014make sure to take the time to really explore the menu. The sides and rices are big enough to share with 2-4 people, and you can build some amazing taste profiles to complement the entrees. Beautiful atmosphere, fantastic wine options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuddakanAswerdloweDined on 10/13/2014Magical. Wonderful. The do ace is beautiful. Food is the best and prices are high but within reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More attitude than qualityKarreFDined on 10/13/2014The vibrant atmosphere, menu and price level combined set high expectations. The high profile is tangible. However, the food we chose was not matching and very disappointing. Eg the lemon chicken was dry and the sour lemon sauce did not blend in at all or go well with the rest we had chosen as recommended. The waitress was kind and quick but this could not compensate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014Our group of 3 just loved this restaurant! It was recommended by a friend and they were spot on! The food was wonderful and our server was amazing!Special Features:
- toinyDined on 10/13/2014We booked Buddakan on recommendation that it´s still quite hot, and was surprised that it still has a vital ambiance and a reliable menu. However, our seating was bad, and it felt like I, who dined with my 2 children weren´t quite the guest prioritized, though it was early Monday evening and we had told the staff that we would probably be quick eaters. Our waitress was great, but the seating will bring the value down. Treat people with kids like real customers, please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.